Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-23-2013, 05:48 PM

Default how close is too close

well I'm sure this has been done to death but how close is too close to another fisherman?

I had a bad experience the other day. I went out in the early afternoon to the bow and walked up the river a km or two. Found a spot with some feeding browns, caught one on the fly but in the process put down another. Decided to bring along the spin rod for the first time in about 10 years and moved down maybe 20 feet to cast it downstream for a bit while I waited for the second brown to start feeding again.
Some other fly fishermen then came in and moved into the head of the run I had just fished so they were maybe 40-50 feet ahead of me. I had a WTF moment and just couldn't deal with it. I stormed off but I guess the guy called after me after I had picked up my fly rod. I did a couple of iffy crossings in some channels looking for somewhere else and I think I was soaked like 4 times in the process. Feeling ****ed I decided to confront them. One of the guys kind of talked me down and explained that since they thought I was spin casting downstream that the run was fair game. Also that when he saw my flyrod he got what was happening and that's why he had called after me. Being next to the highway and running water I didn't hear it. I think I dropped the ball by not just talking to them like a normal human being in the first place but I also think it was odd to be getting that close and on their side to not approach me about it. To their credit they left the spot after the discussion but I was too cold wet and upset to really want to fish it.
I guess good brown trout spots are at a premium on the bow but man, I fish so I don't have to deal with the pushiness of other human beings. I guess I shouldn't complain because in 10 years of fishing actively that was the first real bad experience for me. Other than the bear. Although the bear decided to concede the hole in the end.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:53 PM

Typical yuppy flyfishermen
Old 05-23-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Krazy View Post
Typical yuppy flyfishermen
Lol. Alligator on their shirts?
Old 05-23-2013, 05:58 PM

Default ??

So you fish the bow 'to get away from all the pushy humans'?

Ok.

.... But it's the Bow dude.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 05-23-2013, 06:02 PM

I had a bad experience on Monday when a family with about 6 adults and 5 children set up 20 or 30 feet upstream from me. They didn't speak English well but were asking me how the fishing was. I was polite and talked to them a bit. Wasn't too long later one of the men cast between me and my bait which was downstream from me by about 25 degrees so and it didn't help he was using far too little weight to keep his bait still. So I was left at a crossroad, do I confront him in front of his family and in a language he may have trouble understanding or do I just real in my line, snag his and cut it free from my rig. I decided to say something but it was difficult to get my point across. He did move down a bit but I don't understand why they set up so close when there was plenty of bank available to fish from.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbutterfly View Post
well I'm sure this has been done to death but how close is too close to another fisherman?

I had a bad experience the other day. I went out in the early afternoon to the bow and walked up the river a km or two. Found a spot with some feeding browns, caught one on the fly but in the process put down another. Decided to bring along the spin rod for the first time in about 10 years and moved down maybe 20 feet to cast it downstream for a bit while I waited for the second brown to start feeding again.
Some other fly fishermen then came in and moved into the head of the run I had just fished so they were maybe 40-50 feet ahead of me. I had a WTF moment and just couldn't deal with it. I stormed off but I guess the guy called after me after I had picked up my fly rod. I did a couple of iffy crossings in some channels looking for somewhere else and I think I was soaked like 4 times in the process. Feeling ****ed I decided to confront them. One of the guys kind of talked me down and explained that since they thought I was spin casting downstream that the run was fair game. Also that when he saw my flyrod he got what was happening and that's why he had called after me. Being next to the highway and running water I didn't hear it. I think I dropped the ball by not just talking to them like a normal human being in the first place but I also think it was odd to be getting that close and on their side to not approach me about it. To their credit they left the spot after the discussion but I was too cold wet and upset to really want to fish it.
I guess good brown trout spots are at a premium on the bow but man, I fish so I don't have to deal with the pushiness of other human beings. I guess I shouldn't complain because in 10 years of fishing actively that was the first real bad experience for me. Other than the bear. Although the bear decided to concede the hole in the end.
Sorry man but you don't own the river just be happy that you can fish where your not shoulder to shoulder. 40-50 feet on some steams are a dream. just don't let it put you off something you love.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Banned

Really?
Old 05-23-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Really?
Lol you really have to ask that now? my fishing spot has been intruded on alot but I never really get mad at people for doing so, space is at a premium and due to the shift I work there is alot of time when I am just purely alone or there is alot of open ground. Some people get upset way too easily though.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Type13X2 View Post
Lol you really have to ask that now? my fishing spot has been intruded on alot but I never really get mad at people for doing so, space is at a premium and due to the shift I work there is alot of time when I am just purely alone or there is alot of open ground. Some people get upset way too easily though.
Yup

You're too close if I have to ask is that your beer or my beer...
Old 05-23-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Yup

Funny thing is I've been lined up with trucks 10' away from me at the spot and we didn't cross lines. Well it did happen but that was because someone was using the wrong style of weight and it was too light. (2oz+ pyramid weights in faster moving water please and thank you.) But I gave him one of the many I have and it wasn't an issue. It made for pleasant company we talked and BS'd while waiting for bites.

When you realize that the water is there to be shared and treat it as such you'll gain alot more then you would by being bitter and rude.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:52 PM

Default grrr people

yeah no need to be worked up about it. no different then ice fishing when theres tent city, i came across same kind of situation i drove on the ice this past winter drilled my holes next to some half frozen holes so i can put my camera down in one, so i cleaned out my holes and noticed some old guy coming on the lake with his quad headed my way. and he parked right beside my truck, and then he explained "ya i was here earlier but had no luck" he then cleaned out his holes, put his line down the hole then he relizes "oh i see u drilled holes already here".. im like yes sir.. "oh i guess ill move over 20ft" so he did but i was still livid in for the fact that he set his tip-up up. prob trying to take his spot back, but to bad he had left and i moved in.. me not knowing that he was fishing there i just wanted to try the spot that i had marked on my gps from last summer...

I know its a lake and nobody owns it but when they move in on your exact spot come on??!?!?!!

So my theory should i have moved and offer there spot back since they were there "earlier"? or just stay there like i did??

THANKS i feel much better haha
Old 05-23-2013, 06:55 PM
Banned

like everyone said space is at a premium and really 50 ft is plenty. remember, sharing is caring
Old 05-23-2013, 07:00 PM

yeah 50ft its lots, but 10ft is bit crazy close... its all good i guess.. oh well thats life on the lake
Old 05-23-2013, 07:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchie15 View Post
yeah 50ft its lots, but 10ft is bit crazy close... its all good i guess.. oh well thats life on the lake
i was at pcr last weekend and you shoulda seen it , there were more ppl shore fishing than there is fish there
Old 05-23-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:

I see where you're coming from, but I can also see their viewpoint. They probably viewed your spin casting much like streamer fishing (similar way of targeting fish), so they would have believed you were moving downstream, and hence were done with the water above you. They probably knew of it as a dry fly spot, assumed you were done, then went in themselves.

My advice for next time, just approach them and say something like "hey I just saw a few rising browns on this bank and was waiting for them to start feeding again to target them, would you mind giving me some space here?" I can assure you that 99% of fly fishermen will move on as they know the personal value to finding and targeting rising trout.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchie15 View Post
Now tell me is 10ft still to close........lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images.jpeg (11.8 KB, 216 views)
Old 05-23-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:

If you think that is bad, go fish the forks during sturgeon season..
Old 05-23-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:

sounds like you had your turn at the run....river etiquette
Old 05-23-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post
If you think that is bad, go fish the forks during sturgeon season..
pretty crowded there today, me at one end of the beach and some other guy at the other end

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-23-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new LT View Post
Now tell me is 10ft still to close........lol
Lmao!! Well 10ft isn't close enough if they all looked like her!
Old 05-23-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
I see where you're coming from, but I can also see their viewpoint. They probably viewed your spin casting much like streamer fishing (similar way of targeting fish), so they would have believed you were moving downstream, and hence were done with the water above you. They probably knew of it as a dry fly spot, assumed you were done, then went in themselves.

My advice for next time, just approach them and say something like "hey I just saw a few rising browns on this bank and was waiting for them to start feeding again to target them, would you mind giving me some space here?" I can assure you that 99% of fly fishermen will move on as they know the personal value to finding and targeting rising trout.
reading this, I think you got it exactly. I'll try to follow the advice. I never really spin cast on rivers, so the whole moving down with the current is news to me. It starts to make more sense now. I'm pretty sure they knew from another trip that the spot was a good one. I'm not an outgoing person and I hate confronting people but then I let it eat away at me if I don't.

I had a very similar situation about a week ago where a guy came up to the hole I was fishing and you could tell he came for that spot specifically. He was going to move on when I stopped him and invited him to fish it together. So there's the flip side.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:58 AM

3 words for you all.

Idiot Rock, Moricetown. Go there in about 3-4 weeks and ask again, how close is too close.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 05-24-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:

50 ft? really?
I don't fish streams very often, but if I did and saw you 50 ft away I wouldn't even have thought anything of it.
Amazing that those guys picked up on what you were doing. I would have been oblivious to your strategy like a lot of other people...
Old 05-24-2013, 08:42 AM

I suppose it would depend on the place i was fishing. City fishing I really dont care as long as we arent catching each others lines and getting tangled. But if I drive out to the middle of nowhere to find some solitude.....I would say at the very least the 100 ft mentioned in the regs book. Funny story from cold lake this past season. I went out firs thing in the morning and decided to try an area no one was the day before. No tracks no holes . So i find my 80 - 120 ft zone pop some holes then happened to pass back out in my ice lodge. woke up an hour later to find a "tent city" had sprouted up all around me. That was a little frustrating!.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Yup

Hahaha ! I laughed. Well played sir! Lol

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 05-24-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:

I agree, I hate when this happens. If I see another fisherman in a spot I won't even go within 50 feet. I'll pack up and go somewhere else where I can find solitude. There's lots of places to fish, tip your hat to the guy that got to your spot before you and move on
Old 05-24-2013, 11:42 PM

Well.. the way i see it is:
you vacate a spot you lose that spot. Its just that simple. No one owns the river. Its easer to just grab your kit and move on. Thats what i do.

I have the spot that i'm standing on and only that spot. have no entitlement to the spot 5, 10, 50 feet away or any distance for that matter. Only where my feet are planted. Thats just how this works.

If a group of ppl with dog comes to close, or another fishermen. I just accept that that is just how life works sometimes and move on. Also, I don't try to explain any thing to them either. Cause it does nothing but cause friction and anger. And No one likes it when an angry fishmen comes out of no where and starts lecturing them on why they're to close. Not even other fishermen.

I have no entitlement to where some one els is standing, even if it is close to me. I would be out of line if i tried to give them the what-for or a talking to. Way out of line. All i can do is try to be as respectful to others as is reasonable. And we all have different ideas as to what that may be, so don't be too quick to judge.

Last edited by Dysfunctional Bubble; 05-24-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:02 AM
Banned

I go out of my way to avoid people while I am fishing. I deal with people all day at work. When I go I am looking for peace and quiet. At most I want a close buddy or two with me fishing but thats it. If I come across someone else fishing I just move away far enough so I don't bother him and he doesn't bother me. I think most people are respectable about distance. But If I can read the word Shimano on your rod, your too close.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:18 AM

50 feet is far too close unless the river is completely jammed with people, in which case I'd choose a different river.

50 feet is 5 car-lengths. That's even too close for ice-fishing, when everything hangs straight down. Move it to a river, where lures and baits flow swiftly downstream, and 50 feet is like french-kissing the fisher-person next to you.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:25 PM

I know I posted my thoughts on this situation above, but here are some general thoughts on the topic.

I feel it really depends on the location and the methods being used. Sometimes anglers are quite stationary, finding a spot and then staying there. For example, bait fishing from shore, or targeting large salmon runs in BC. I was fishing in Northern BC last summer and there are places that if 2 anglers are 50 feet apart it would be nothing for someone to hop in between them. On the other hand, I had a time on a creek in SW Alberta that I came across another fly angler working their way upstream, so I made sure to walk at least 1/4 km upstream and let them know I was doing so in order to allow them first chance at that water.

I think the number one rule to follow is to always talk to the anglers you run into and ask them what they intend to do. Then do whatever you can to not affect their plans for the day, while still finding a place to fish yourself (most often this won't hamper your plans/day at all)