Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you think that a Harley Road Glide handles great, your definition of handling is much different than most people's.
Compared to what? Hopefully other big cruisers.

You should try one of the new M8's, smooth like butter with lots of get up and go without add on's. WAY too spendy for this guy though, $30,000K for a recreational vehicle is just ABSURD to me.

Out of the OP's two choices of Indian or Harley it's a no brainer. HD

Check out Indianmotorcycles.net and look at all the problems Poo-laris is having with the simplest of things like gauges fogging up and fenders rusting, chrome flaking, along with a laundry list of other problems. And customers are being denied warranty for the silliest of reasons, most often "operator error". Typical Poo-laris stuff, selling junk and not taking care of their customers. And look at the resale of them, guys are taking HUGE baths on them trying to unload them. I'm sure most of them are good bikes but what if it's one of the many lemons they produce? Polaris will get there with their issues but they arnt there yet.
But if that is what your into, by all means buy what YOU wanna buy, your the one that has to ride it.

Harley's are far from perfect but there's a dealer on every second corner and the Moco is pretty good about warranty issues.

No doubt Jap bikes are top shelf for quality and that's simply undeniable, but they lack a soul and you didn't mention them otherwise I would highly recomend a Metric bike.

HD's are WAY overpriced (as are Indians) and not the best quality (compared to a Metric) but once you kick a leg over one and bring it to life you will know why they are so popular.

In my 25 years of riding the most DB's I've come across are BMW owners, aka, the safety brigade.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Aerodynamics, a properly designed fairing cuts through the wind, and you don't get buffeted around. A big slab fairing /windshield gets tossed around in the wind.
So you have a really strong wind that is gusting and coming at you from the side. Its pushing you sideways. I still don't see that helping much. I can see if the wind was coming from the front area but not the side.

I'll give you the design features over a Harley batwing. It's an old design but part of the look.

I really haven't found my Harley to get tossed around, I do notice increased buffeting from certain directions of wind.

Of course rider size come into play with this as well.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Compared to what? Hopefully other big cruisers.

You should try one of the new M8's, smooth like butter with lots of get up and go without add on's. WAY too spendy for this guy though, $30,000K for a recreational vehicle is just ABSURD to me.

Out of the OP's two choices of Indian or Harley it's a no brainer. HD

Check out Indianmotorcycles.net and look at all the problems Poo-laris is having with the simplest of things like gauges fogging up and fenders rusting, chrome flaking, along with a laundry list of other problems. And customers are being denied warranty for the silliest of reasons, most often "operator error". Typical Poo-laris stuff, selling junk and not taking care of their customers. And look at the resale of them, guys are taking HUGE baths on them trying to unload them. I'm sure most of them are good bikes but what if it's one of the many lemons they produce? Polaris will get there with their issues but they arnt there yet.
But if that is what your into, by all means buy what YOU wanna buy, your the one that has to ride it.

Harley's are far from perfect but there's a dealer on every second corner and the Moco is pretty good about warranty issues.

No doubt Jap bikes are top shelf for quality and that's simply undeniable, but they lack a soul and you didn't mention them otherwise I would highly recomend a Metric bike.

HD's are WAY overpriced (as are Indians) and not the best quality (compared to a Metric) but once you kick a leg over one and bring it to life you will know why they are so popular.

In my 25 years of riding the most DB's I've come across are BMW owners, aka, the safety brigade.
I sold my Harley because Harley denied warranty on an issue with my bike, even though the dealer insisted that a part was defective. As to DB riders, almost everyone that I met while touring waved and was friendly, regardless of whether I was riding my Suzuki, , my Harley, or my BMW, the exception were a few Harley riders, while I was riding my Suzuki. They chose to give the people riding Japanese bikes the one finger salute, instead of waving.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:20 AM

Quote:
I sold my Harley because Harley denied warranty on an issue with my bike, even though the dealer insisted that a part was defective. As to DB riders, almost everyone that I met while touring waved and was friendly, regardless of whether I was riding my Suzuki, , my Harley, or my BMW, the exception were a few Harley riders, while I was riding my Suzuki. They chose to give the people riding Japanese bikes the one finger salute, instead of waving.
That's just ignorant not waiving based on what bike they are on, I personally wouldn't ride with someone with an ego like that, not cool. I even give the low two finger wave to mopeds and scooters, most of them don't wave back cause they weren't expecting it and look like deer in the headlight. Anyone that rides is ok by me and welcome to ride with me reguardless of what kind of brand of bike you're on but I hear ya, some guys just take themselves WAY too seriously.

If you have been off your HD for a while I highly suggest checking out demo days in late August I believe and take one of those new M8's for a rip, they are AMAZING machines. Handing and power are a HUGE improvement on those bikes. I had a Street Glide up to 160KPH in almost no time with a gear or two left and sooooo smooth! Beautiful machines but like I said, WAY to much $$ for me. I'll be riding my '99 EVO Softail Custom till the wheels fall off, no desire to go into debt just to upgrade. Wouldn't mind adding either a V-Max or a Street Glide at some point. Rode buddy's V-Max last summer, WOW!! What an INCREDIBLE machine. Literally a rocket with a seat on it, and Yammi's legendary quality and reliability to boot. Cheers
Old 07-11-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
That's just ignorant not waiving based on what bike they are on, I personally wouldn't ride with someone with an ego like that, not cool. I even give the low two finger wave to mopeds and scooters, most of them don't wave back cause they weren't expecting it and look like deer in the headlight. Anyone that rides is ok by me and welcome to ride with me reguardless of what kind of brand of bike you're on but I hear ya, some guys just take themselves WAY too seriously.

If you have been off your HD for a while I highly suggest checking out demo days in late August I believe and take one of those new M8's for a rip, they are AMAZING machines. Handing and power are a HUGE improvement on those bikes. I had a Street Glide up to 160KPH in almost no time with a gear or two left and sooooo smooth! Beautiful machines but like I said, WAY to much $$ for me. I'll be riding my '99 EVO Softail Custom till the wheels fall off, no desire to go into debt just to upgrade. Wouldn't mind adding either a V-Max or a Street Glide at some point. Rode buddy's V-Max last summer, WOW!! What an INCREDIBLE machine. Literally a rocket with a seat on it, and Yammi's legendary quality and reliability to boot. Cheers
After riding a sub 600lb motorcycle, that handles, accelerates and brakes much better than an 800+ pound bike, I have no desire to ever own another overweight pig of a bike. My BMW will last me as long as I intend to ride, and a new Harley is not going to give me any advantage over my 2007 BMW. If I just want to go for a ride, I have a sport bike, if I want to tour, the luggage is easily locked into place in a minute, and is secure and waterproof.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:11 AM

To each their own, I don’t care what u ride. I debated the cruiser thing once, and then I rode one. Not my style at all. First corner I took there I was scraping floorboards, and I’d barely leaned over. If I get rid of my zx14, it’ll be for a concours, fjr, or the like. And it’ll be Japanese

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2019, 07:12 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Rode an electriglide, and street glide. Both were decent bikes.... now on a Yamaha fjr 1300 sport/tour. very comfortable and power too boot!!
I was going to suggest this bike but the op mentioned cruiser......great bike!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-11-2019, 07:13 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gade81 View Post
To each their own, I don’t care what u ride. I debated the cruiser thing once, and then I rode one. Not my style at all. First corner I took there I was scraping floorboards, and I’d barely leaned over. If I get rid of my zx14, it’ll be for a concours, fjr, or the like. And it’ll be Japanese

Beauty choice too!

Like I mentioned earlier....try them out....one will be you.....

Old 07-11-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Beauty choice too!

Like I mentioned earlier....try them out....one will be you.....

I don’t doubt it. Though I’m a thrust addict so most anything doesn’t feel the same when I ride it. Plus my zx is uber comfy. Maybe ina few years

Old 07-11-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I think it’s the same reason that so many cyclists dress like they’re competing in the Tour De France when merely riding to their office job or out for a leisure ride. Same goes for the gun show attendees who show up in full camo at the Stampede grounds just adjacent downtown in the middle of a city of 1.35 million people. Everyone flies their various team logos, etc but at times it becomes a bit much when it’s beaten to death and becomes cliche. With Harley’s there’s both the actual biker gang types (the minority) but also the Hell’s Managers / Hell’s Realtors contingent who play dress up (the majority). Do Harley’s even start unless you’re wearing one or more items of HD branded clothes & accessories, are there proximity sensors in the ignition systems tied to RFID tags in the clothes?
Bahahahahahahahaha,,, love it,, exactly my thoughts too,, who are these people,, they sure make my day.. how about the no shirt, leather vest, wearing white oakleys and chains on their boots......bahahah
Old 07-11-2019, 04:28 PM

Touring bike all the way. BMW is hard to beat!
Old 07-12-2019, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
Touring bike all the way. BMW is hard to beat!
Extremely reliable and durable......but you have to put a set of ape hangers on it and cover your face.....desperado

I been all over bikes since 14.....fast, slow, dirt, street.....2005 Yamaha 1100 Silverado.....my ride now.....14hrs straight was my longest haul....don't do that anymore.....maybe

Old 07-12-2019, 07:54 AM

Motorcycle mechanic here in Airdrie as some of you know. I ride them all, fix them all. Maintenance is the key. With the exception of Polaris, truly junk. This is the year of the old bikes to be put back into service. The Virago’s of the 80’s, the Fxr’s, the V-max’s. They’re still alive and out there touring and be bopping about town. No fairings, just naked fun.
Me I‘ve owned fast ones, heavy ones, tiny ones and my newest one. Brought home in January. It’s a kick back to the 1070’s Kawasaki Z1000. The Kawi Z900RS. It is the most fun best sounding bike I have ever owned. It sounds so good I don’t know why people don’t stop what they’re doing to look at me when I drive by,lol. Stop by the shop in Airdrie, tones of used bikes and a good way to waste half hour or so.
Tullfan
Old 07-12-2019, 08:56 AM

Not sure if you looked at the Ducati bikes at all, but sounds like a diavel may fit into what you are looking for, more of a power cruiser with an upright riding position and options for bags and wind screens, plus more power better handling more features and less money than a Harley....oh and you wont see a million of them every day

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavilion View Post
Not sure if you looked at the Ducati bikes at all, but sounds like a diavel may fit into what you are looking for, more of a power cruiser with an upright riding position and options for bags and wind screens, plus more power better handling more features and less money than a Harley....oh and you wont see a million of them every day

Ive always been worried about costs fixing Ducati's personally. I know they are better now but at one point they had the same reputation as older KTMs being 'unreliable'. Just to be clear not worried so much about reliability with them, just repair costs. Ive even heard rumors that putting on an aftermarket exhaust will void Ducati's warranty.

Does not fit what the buyer is looking for but a Desert Sled is damn sexy:
https://scramblerducati.com/it/bike/...437.1562949808
Old 07-12-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrgeiz View Post
Maybe a Honda Grom? Hehe
I know a guy that's riding across Canada on his Grom.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
I know a guy that's riding across Canada on his Grom.
Need a Honda ruckus

Old 07-12-2019, 10:07 PM

If you really want a cruiser, the Indian Chieftain Dark Horse is the only way to go. That's my next next cruiser after my time is up with my current cruiser - Victory Highball.
Are going insane.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:13 PM

I love my Harley's. Some of you seem pretty bitter towards them. When I ride I sit pretty much the exact same as my seat is set up in my new Silverado. Legs comfortably stretched out and my hands like they'd be somewhere around 10 & 2 on the steering wheel. To me it feels kind of neutral so longer rides still feel pretty good throughout the day. I have a Harley hoodie and a bunch of tshirts. But I also wear and advertise shirts to all the concerts we go to. I'm not a poster board but I wear things that represent what I like. You guys are like "Harley riders do this, and Harley riders do that" you all sound worst than the Harley riders you're talking crap about. If someone rides past me on a crotch rocket or anything like that and waves at me, I wave back and hope they're enjoying their time out as much as I am.

Like a few others have said, find out when the demo days are going on and grab your helmet (the one for your head) and hit the dealerships. Ride some BMW's, some Honda's, some Kawasaki's and ride some Harley's. Pick the one YOU think is the most comfortable and the sexiest. And don't forget to wave at me when you ride by!
Old 07-12-2019, 11:32 PM

Figure I'll throw in my $0.02 worth.

All the folks here have talked about new and old bikes... HD, Indian, etc. Touring, sport touring, cruiser, adventure bikes. Like has been said, find the one that "talks" to you.

For me that was... Is.. A 2018 Yamaha Venture TC. Yep. Not many of them out there as they are a complete redesign compared to previous Ventures and new for 2018. Dang I love that ride more and more every day.

I liked the Victory line before that got shut down - still lots available used. Then Indian was reborn with awesome looking bikes but very limited number of dealers available was a negatice for me especially since I like riding out on country roads in rural areas to see this beautiful province and beyond. Not knocking the HD line up but they just didn't appeal to me, and less so to the family chief finance officer. Hehe.

But when I saw the big Venture TC touring bike from Yamaha I fell in love right there. The Eluder is the bagger version and is equally nice in style but again the Boss overruled as she wanted the trunk/back rest for the long rides. As for performance, all I'll say is im not a lightweight and the Boss is a bit bigger... The Venture has no issues hauling us at "slightly" over the limit on those long flat nicely paved roads that just beg to have the throttle twisted. Hehe.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:50 AM

Oh, forgot about the new Urals. 2019’s are improved, great for touring. Will hold as much gear as you want, 2 wheel drive selectable, aaannnndd. You can still get a machine gun mount. Not fast, or pretty, but she’ll go all night.
Tullfan
Old 07-13-2019, 02:14 PM

Yes Urals, my dad got one...loves it!

Old 07-13-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I love my Harley's. Some of you seem pretty bitter towards them. When I ride I sit pretty much the exact same as my seat is set up in my new Silverado. Legs comfortably stretched out and my hands like they'd be somewhere around 10 & 2 on the steering wheel. To me it feels kind of neutral so longer rides still feel pretty good throughout the day. I have a Harley hoodie and a bunch of tshirts. But I also wear and advertise shirts to all the concerts we go to. I'm not a poster board but I wear things that represent what I like. You guys are like "Harley riders do this, and Harley riders do that" you all sound worst than the Harley riders you're talking crap about. If someone rides past me on a crotch rocket or anything like that and waves at me, I wave back and hope they're enjoying their time out as much as I am.

Like a few others have said, find out when the demo days are going on and grab your helmet (the one for your head) and hit the dealerships. Ride some BMW's, some Honda's, some Kawasaki's and ride some Harley's. Pick the one YOU think is the most comfortable and the sexiest. And don't forget to wave at me when you ride by!
In 1982 I worked at a can factory in Winnipeg and we had a month off for equipment maintenance. Three of us headed for Mexico for a month. I was on a new Honda GL 1100C-A Stripped down Goldwing with no fairing. Ray was on a new Suzuki GS1100 and Larry on a new 883 HD Sportster.

After about 600 miles Larry was desperately trying to bribe us to switch rides and we had to stop really often for his fuel.

So when we were in the boonies he wanted us to ride the sporty-but as soon as we got close to a town with a bar-he wanted his ride back-

In the bar he got all the street cred and were chastised for our rice burners

On the way back we rode through a monarch butterfly hatch. Just drippin guts-Good times

I was far and away most comfortable and most range,
Ray was Super fast
Larry was sore but got the most positive attention in American Bars and parking lots
Attached Images
File Type: jpg honda-goldwing-gl1100-standard-2.jpg (64.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 1982-gs1100-ez.jpg (61.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 1982-Harley-Davidson-Sportster-883--Motorcycles-For-Sale-25242.jpg (73.0 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by omega50; 07-13-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:13 AM

Those sportsters sure are fun to ride. They're definitely not a long haul cruiser. I built one for the boss with mini apes so she can sit up straighter. Not crazy high ape hangers just enough. Then I changed the mid controls to forward controls. A little trickier with your balance maneuvering through tight parking lots. But pays off on the road with a more comfortable posture. Again set up like her seat is set in the new Impala. This bike also has no faring or windshield so the wind beats you up a bit. I can ride it all day I guess I'm used to the abuse. I found a mini batwing faring I might get her. It will look like a smaller version of the street glide and get her out of the wind. I think the street glide is the sexiest bike around. You'll never win an argument about it. It's my opinion. Willie G sure got that look down right. So much so all the other cruiser manufacturers copied the design. And you can't blame them I guess because those bikes look pretty good too!
Old 07-14-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Those sportsters sure are fun to ride. They're definitely not a long haul cruiser. I built one for the boss with mini apes so she can sit up straighter. Not crazy high ape hangers just enough. Then I changed the mid controls to forward controls. A little trickier with your balance maneuvering through tight parking lots. But pays off on the road with a more comfortable posture. Again set up like her seat is set in the new Impala. This bike also has no faring or windshield so the wind beats you up a bit. I can ride it all day I guess I'm used to the abuse. I found a mini batwing faring I might get her. It will look like a smaller version of the street glide and get her out of the wind. I think the street glide is the sexiest bike around. You'll never win an argument about it. It's my opinion. Willie G sure got that look down right. So much so all the other cruiser manufacturers copied the design. And you can't blame them I guess because those bikes look pretty good too!
Some people buy a motorcycle based on looks and image, and they put up with the shortcomings that come with the bike. I buy a bike based on power, braking, comfort, handling, fuel range, reliability, and luggage, and appearance is the least important factor to me. I will not put up with "abuse" as you call it, to have the "cool" looking bike. I want the pegs and controls under me, so my legs can support part of my weight, and so I can weight the pegs to aid handling, but then I enjoy learning hard into corners at times, rather than just sitting upright and plugging along all day. Then again, I prefer to drive a great handling sports car, than a big heavy weight luxury car.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:00 AM

I don't try to impress anyone. My bikes look cool to me. That's all I'm really concerned about. I ride to put a smile on my face. Not really concerned about others. And that should be the attitude of the OP. Like I said before test ride them all and make your decision based on your opinion. If I had a Honda (just an example,don't bash me) I wouldn't get out and ride as much because it's not "me" that's why I ride my bikes. I'll ride mine all day tho. And for a couple hours after I get home I still have a smile on my face. I'm sure your bike does the same for you. To me that's what it's all about. And I'll still ride with you too no matter what your riding. Hopefully you would do the same.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:23 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavilion View Post

Diavel is a very nice cruiser, and performance is what you expect from Ducati. I sold my S2R1000 Monster a while back for the same reasons. I need something for longer more comfortable rides, but don't want to sacrifice on performance. I am seriously eying up the Multistrada now. Less cruiser styled than a Diavel, but more versatile and still a serious sport machine!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 07-15-2019, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husty View Post
You open to Adventure Bikes? A KTM 1090 has 125hp, is lighter, has better braking, very high and upright seating which is great for visibility, and will be able to get more miles done in a day (at least for me) than a cruiser. If your willing to goto a touring bike like a Goldwing or Indian Chieftan they are much better for multiday trips and would fit the look you seem to be after.

Myself I got a DR650 last year and love it, cheep to buy, tons of aftermarket for it, stock suspension made for a 130lbs Japanese man, fairly capable although it sucks for multiple days on the highway but you can do it. Got it more for gravel and forestry roads than the highway. I love the ergos after getting lower pegs and handlebars/risers. Only has 35hp but still probably the most fun ive had on a bike after my old TW200. I dont need something that fast so the DR650 works for me.
Amazing how much fun you can have on an "old tech" single!

A new high power parallel twin would be awesome!

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 07-15-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Amazing how much fun you can have on an "old tech" single!

A new high power parallel twin would be awesome!
Thanks friend, love the Thumper.. Love going through downtown Calgary on the way to work like I'm riding a tractor around all the BMWs and Audis... Thump...Thump...Thump

I think I just love things with two wheels in general.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:40 AM

Default Motorcyles

Always been a fan of the rice rockets and their engineering. I am looking at a Triumph next.

Why is so many Harley riders look like Jabba the Hut?