Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-07-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973 Moose View Post
If you don't mind the extra noise, the cheaper option would be to put a barrel brake on your rifle. my father gave my son when he was 14, a 257 WBY in a Vanguard 2, thinking the lighter weight would be good. well me son fired one round and would not touch the rifle again. I put on a brake then had his 15 year sister fire the rifle. Well then he wanted to shoot again. I now even have a brake on my 340WBY love it.
Brakes work but who wants to wear muffs or plugs hunting if its a range rifle that’s different but hunting you cant get away with one shot with a brake without permanent hearing damage.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I got a Husky 1600 in 3006 as my full time big game hunting rig. You couldn't pay me to shoot more then 20 rounds out of it a season though. Thing kicks like a Mule.
I shoot mine on cold days, when I can wear a heavy Carhart jacket with a sweater underneath. Have ended up shooting it in just a T shirt a couple times though, and 20 rounds gets pretty unpleasant.

Anyhow, took the new .270 out to the range yesterday, between the lighter bullets and the recoil pad I found it easy to shoot, but perhaps the 30-06 has warped my perception. Shoots Coreloct 130's sub MOA, and the 150's about 1.25", POI is similar with both loads at 100 yards. Very pleased with this rifle, probably going to keep the 30-06 too though.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I shoot mine on cold days, when I can wear a heavy Carhart jacket with a sweater underneath. Have ended up shooting it in just a T shirt a couple times though, and 20 rounds gets pretty unpleasant.

Anyhow, took the new .270 out to the range yesterday, between the lighter bullets and the recoil pad I found it easy to shoot, but perhaps the 30-06 has warped my perception. Shoots Coreloct 130's sub MOA, and the 150's about 1.25", POI is similar with both loads at 100 yards. Very pleased with this rifle, probably going to keep the 30-06 too though.

Step up your 150's quality in the 270 and they should outshot the 130's. Depending on gun of course. I went up to 140 and 150's a few years back and haven't shot 130's since.

On the recoil side I dont notice a difference between 270, 06, and 7mm to be completely honest. All very liveable in any conditions. The one that gets me every time is 300wsm. So much not to like in that little cartridge. Damn.

When I really learn to appreciate 277 and 284's is right after taking buddies 338-378 Weatherby for a spin. That's just horrific. No idea how he shoots it well and comfortably being a smaller guy. Id rather shoot a 375 H&H with my shoulder against a brick wall.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Step up your 150's quality in the 270 and they should outshot the 130's. Depending on gun of course. I went up to 140 and 150's a few years back and haven't shot 130's since.

On the recoil side I dont notice a difference between 270, 06, and 7mm to be completely honest. All very liveable in any conditions. The one that gets me every time is 300wsm. So much not to like in that little cartridge. Damn.

When I really learn to appreciate 277 and 284's is right after taking buddies 338-378 Weatherby for a spin. That's just horrific. No idea how he shoots it well and comfortably being a smaller guy. Id rather shoot a 375 H&H with my shoulder against a brick wall.
Yes, I too typically do not notice much difference between a .270 and a 30-06, typically I do not find either of them to be unreasonable in the recoil department. In this particular rifle however the 06 does kick pretty hard, as you can see from the posts. Perhaps the recoil pad is making more difference than the chambering, either way I'm happy.

I did try various loads in both bullet weights, varying in price, and this rifle seems to like Corelocts best, which is fine with me. Perhaps with more experimenting I could get better groups, but IMO I'm already getting good hunting accuracy out of a good hunting bullet. Might try some 150 grain Interlocks though.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post

The 3006 and 270 compliment each other IMO. Set the 270 up for a prairie gun/field gun with a higher magnification scope that can shoot out to 300-400 yards. And set the 30-06 up for the bush with a lower magnification scope and have it set up for 200-300 yards.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 04-07-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
The 3006 and 270 compliment each other IMO. Set the 270 up for a prairie gun/field gun with a higher magnification scope that can shoot out to 300-400 yards. And set the 30-06 up for the bush with a lower magnification scope and have it set up for 200-300 yards.
Yeah, that's more or less how I've got them rigged. I don't really hunt fields any more if I can help it though. I basically either hunt timber or river breaks, river breaks are more or less like hunting timber but there is the occasional longer shot across or along the river.

I've got a 1-4x on the 30-06, and a 2-7x on the .270, they both will work well for the average bush shot, which for me is generally around 40 yards or less. The .270 will work better for the occasional 200 yard plus shot I need to make every 5 years or so... after 300 I don't even bother, those shot opportunities are so rare that I'm better off spending the time working on snap shooting or scouting more bush IMO