Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-24-2019, 07:12 PM

Default Kihei Maui

Hey guys, wanted ask if anyone fished in Kihei looking for some tips for locations, lures, tactics, and if we need a licence to fish off shore. I'll b bringing my own gear shimano exage bx shrinkable rod paired with a shimano ci4 4000 20lb PP and 15lb fl leader. BTW just C&R Thx.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:14 PM

When are you headed there? I don’t know squat about that area but we could look like goofs together? I have done plenty of surf fishing in Mexico.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
When are you headed there? I don’t know squat about that area but we could look like goofs together? I have done plenty of surf fishing in Mexico.
Lol heading there on Tuesday afternoon and u??
Old 03-24-2019, 08:36 PM

We caught needle fish and a puffer of some sort at the boat ramp many years ago.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:09 AM

Default Kealia Boardwalk Area

I fly fished the area along the Kealia Coastal Boardwalk between Kihei and the Diesel Plant just north of town.

Caught Needle fish, some small jacks and some other things I have no idea what they were.

Used small Lefty Deceiver flies and some Shrimp flies that I had bought for Bonefish.

The locals in other locations would use squid, shrimp, etc and small silver spoons.

If you are looking for larger fish (eg; Ulua) head south of town to around 5 Graves. Walk out to the point and you will see PVC pipe rod holders set into the lava rock. Again, bait is best here. This is also a great spot to snorkel and see turtles. Also please respect the area as the Hawaiians regard this as a sacred spot.

No licence needed to fish in salt water.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAB View Post
I fly fished the area along the Kealia Coastal Boardwalk between Kihei and the Diesel Plant just north of town.

Caught Needle fish, some small jacks and some other things I have no idea what they were.

Used small Lefty Deceiver flies and some Shrimp flies that I had bought for Bonefish.

The locals in other locations would use squid, shrimp, etc and small silver spoons.

If you are looking for larger fish (eg; Ulua) head south of town to around 5 Graves. Walk out to the point and you will see PVC pipe rod holders set into the lava rock. Again, bait is best here. This is also a great spot to snorkel and see turtles. Also please respect the area as the Hawaiians regard this as a sacred spot.

No licence needed to fish in salt water.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for the useful info, what's a good shop to pick up bait or lures?
Old 03-26-2019, 08:34 PM

I am going April 16 please report back on how you make out.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:51 AM

If you dont mind smaller fish and find some slightly deeper spots near shore 5 -10 feet i use the water weighted bubble style bobbers as a slip bobber with some squid/clam that i find by the ocean. If youre casting bigger stuff you will likely need a mono or flouro leader as a shock absorber or even smaller fish will snap you off from time to time. In the 50+ pound range for the leader material.

Even jigs work well in places but you will have lots of snags.

Beware eating because of ciguterra poisoning - look it up.

Also beware of surgeon fish and their super sharp back ends. Almost grabbed one once if i hadnt knew about it.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:26 AM

So first day, got my pliers conviscated at the airport lol, got to find a place for hooks and bait, saw a target on the way to the condo, hopefully find something there ?
Old 03-28-2019, 10:41 PM

I just got back from there a couple days ago. We went on a whale watching tour and there were a bunch of locals fishing off the harbour at Maalaea. Also just off the south kiheI Rd is the Hawaiian humpback whale marine sanctuary there were a bunch of guys fishing on the shore in the mornings/evenings. Good luck