Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-13-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorn sheep guide View Post
I don't understand why everyone is whining about the amount of sheep the outfitters take, that's there job. When you pay $125 000 for 1 alocation , of course your going to kill sheep that there job. Most of them don't have a 9 to 5 job. If people think outfitters are pushing for this change, think again. When you have $500 000 tied up in 4 tags, would you want to loss them.
Come on APOS and other organizations are trying TO KEEP SHEEP ON THE MOUNTAIN, SRD has to wake up and manage all animals. Even the politically sensitive ones.
LOl that’s kind of funny. I suppose if people were not afraid of losing something there wouldn’t be 1100 posts!

I see you have joined the board (at least with your current handle) recently. You may not have had time to read all the posts from the 3 sheep threads. Sheep are a very limited resource and the simple fact is there is not enough to go around. On a ‘general tag’ residents are at about 4-5% success rate and non-residents are currently at 53% success rate. From those numbers you can see why the resident hunters do not want their piece of the pie to shrink, and really you can’t blame them for that.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I've seen a lot of speculation that non-resident tags won't be cut back if resident tags are but has anyone heard that anywhere but the speculation on here? Perhaps it's already part of the plan? I have no idea but it's definitely something that should be asked.
I specifically asked the head bio. this question. That is when he told me the sheep allocation were not subject to the same 5 year review. He literally groaned at the idea of trying to reduce the non-resident allocations. He felt that it would be very difficult due to the amount some of these guiding operations have invested and because they were not subject to the same 5 year review it would have to be a whole new discussion. I don't want to 'put words in his mouth' but it was my honest and distinct impression that he felt reducing the numbers of non-resident allocation would be a very very difficult thing to do-regardless of what the management plan said.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:13 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Single Malt View Post
I specifically asked the head bio. this question. That is when he told me the sheep allocation were not subject to the same 5 year review. He literally groaned at the idea of trying to reduce the non-resident allocations. He felt that it would be very difficult due to the amount some of these guiding operations have invested and because they were not subject to the same 5 year review it would have to be a whole new discussion. I don't want to 'put words in his mouth' but it was my honest and distinct impression that he felt reducing the numbers of non-resident allocation would be a very very difficult thing to do-regardless of what the management plan said.
Then that is indeed disappointing to hear.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Then that is indeed disappointing to hear.
I certainly was. As I said, I certainly don't speak for him but it was my impression that the political and economic pressure would make this biological decision very difficult. It is upsetting but not surprising and is one of the reasons I am on the board expressing my concerns over influence within the decision-making bodies.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulo gulo View Post
LOl that’s kind of funny. I suppose if people were not afraid of losing something there wouldn’t be 1100 posts!

I see you have joined the board (at least with your current handle) recently. You may not have had time to read all the posts from the 3 sheep threads. Sheep are a very limited resource and the simple fact is there is not enough to go around. On a ‘general tag’ residents are at about 4-5% success rate and non-residents are currently at 53% success rate. From those numbers you can see why the resident hunters do not want their piece of the pie to shrink, and really you can’t blame them for that.
I donn't blame them, I am a resident myself. I know also that it would be very hard for the gov'n to get some of the non-resident tags back. They don't even have the money to give officers to cover their areas.
But they could look at habitat and preditors. Why have they let it get this far? Why do the residents have to be the ones that suffer? Why don't they give the sheep and elk hunters cat tags for just the mountain areas?
Old 04-13-2010, 07:49 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I donn't blame them, I am a resident myself. I know also that it would be very hard for the gov'n to get some of the non-resident tags back. They don't even have the money to give officers to cover their areas.

I don't see why they'd have to buy them back. Let the outfitters keep the number of allocations they have but only allow them to use the number that corresponds with the current sheep management plan for that WMU. If sheep numbers drop and resident opportunities are reduced, so too are the number of allocations that outfitters can use. If sheep populations rebound and resident opportunities increase, so too would the outfitter allocations.

If residents are faced with a decrease in opportunity, non residents should be faced with a corresponding decrease. They do it in BC. The number of Stone tags has been cut way back for many outfitters in response to reduced numbers of Stone sheep. It only seems fair that both residents and non residents bear the brunt equally.

I certainly appreciate the challenges faced by outfitters and support the industry wholeheartedly but at some point, fair has to be fair.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Gulo, I haven't seen the actual numbers yet and hopefully will soon but I know the areas of concern are the far south and the Clearwater. I'm far from a proponent of draws but if the evidence is there to support their necessity to maintain healthy sheep populations, I wouldn't stand in their way. I guess the important questions are are why and where and are there are other less restrictive alternatives.

It sounds like you are pretty well informed on all this already. I'll be anxious to hear what they have to say. Keep us posted.
I see you are well informed also, I still have to ask, what makes you think that a draw is going to help the sheep population. Look at the elk and the clearwater is a good example! From big bulls to what, lucky if you can find a 6pt. I know lots of locals that hunt that area, plus the outfitters. Some say the population is holding there own. As the airel surveys have said. I don't believe it is over hunted. How if you said the Ya Ha Tinda I would have to agree! If that wmu was for a draw I could see it. I know a cat outfitter that is hunting sheep killers in there in the winter. How else helps take those preditors out. Also talked to the local trapper in this area, he said the wolves where down but the bears are still taking lots of the calves, elk or sheep when they hit the ground.
I don't understand the Idea of taking hunters out by limiting them to a draw. So the parks can get there way and have the buffalo back. Parks didn't want the elk, and it just happened that we don't have 1/10 of the herd we had.
I think the sheep will end up the same, that's my opinion.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:03 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I see you are well informed also, I still have to ask, what makes you think that a draw is going to help the sheep population. Look at the elk and the clearwater is a good example! From big bulls to what, lucky if you can find a 6pt. I know lots of locals that hunt that area, plus the outfitters. Some say the population is holding there own. As the airel surveys have said. I don't believe it is over hunted. How if you said the Ya Ha Tinda I would have to agree! If that wmu was for a draw I could see it. I know a cat outfitter that is hunting sheep killers in there in the winter. How else helps take those preditors out. Also talked to the local trapper in this area, he said the wolves where down but the bears are still taking lots of the calves, elk or sheep when they hit the ground.
I don't understand the Idea of taking hunters out by limiting them to a draw. So the parks can get there way and have the buffalo back. Parks didn't want the elk, and it just happened that we don't have 1/10 of the herd we had.
I think the sheep will end up the same, that's my opinion.

Your point about the Ya Ha elk is well made and there are certainly lots of issues in the region, with predators being a considerable one. I think there are a few more but you are correct that the draw has seemed to do little. I'm not sure if you can equate the results of an elk draw to a sheep draw or not...possibly but they do face very different habitat, hunter and predator challenges. You'll get no arguement from me that more needs to be done right across sheep range in regards to habitat improvement and predator control although I doubt we'll see the effort put into the latter that is required to acheive any results. You could be right and I'm not a proponent of sheep draws at all but if they appear to be the last option fix for a population in trouble, I'm not going to stand in the way either.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I don't see why they'd have to buy them back. Let the outfitters keep the number of allocations they have but only allow them to use the number that corresponds with the current sheep management plan for that WMU. If sheep numbers drop and resident opportunities are reduced, so too are the number of allocations that outfitters can use. If sheep populations rebound and resident opportunities increase, so too would the outfitter allocations.

If residents are faced with a decrease in opportunity, non residents should be faced with a corresponding decrease. They do it in BC. The number of Stone tags has been cut way back for many outfitters in response to reduced numbers of Stone sheep. It only seems fair that both residents and non residents bear the brunt equally.

I certainly appreciate the challenges faced by outfitters and support the industry wholeheartedly but at some point, fair has to be fair.
Yes but the outfitters in BC get cut back on the age of the average rams taken, not the amount? Isn't that the way it works? I know if the take old mature rams they relook at adding a few tags. I kill a stone last year and that is one of the main topics the guides talk about. I believe it is simular in Yukon and NWT.
Part I'm wondering is , you are saying that outfitters should only get tags depending on resident sucsess? I believe it is what 7/8 years for the average resident to kill a sheep. Why is this, experiense,knowledge of the area and the animal? Personnelly I turn down legal rams every year trying to beat my wifes ram. Now because I choose not to shoot a ram the outfitters should suffer because the average isn't up?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:07 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Yes but the outfitters in BC get cut back on the age of the average rams taken, not the amount? Isn't that the way it works?
No, there were cuts right across the province based on sheep populations....

Quote:
Part I'm wondering is , you are saying that outfitters should only get tags depending on resident sucsess? I believe it is what 7/8 years for the average resident to kill a sheep. Why is this, experiense,knowledge of the area and the animal? Personnelly I turn down legal rams every year trying to beat my wifes ram. Now because I choose not to shoot a ram the outfitters should suffer because the average isn't up
I said no such thing so please don't put words in my mouth....I said if resident opportunities were reduced so too should non-resident opportunities. It's in no way tied to success, just opportunity to hunt.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Your point about the Ya Ha elk is well made and there are certainly lots of issues in the region, with predators being a considerable one. I think there are a few more but you are correct that the draw has seemed to do little. I'm not sure if you can equate the results of an elk draw to a sheep draw or not...possibly but they do face very different habitat, hunter and predator challenges. You'll get no arguement from me that more needs to be done right across sheep range in regards to habitat improvement and predator control although I doubt we'll see the effort put into the latter that is required to acheive any results. You could be right and I'm not a proponent of sheep draws at all but if they appear to be the last option fix for a population in trouble, I'm not going to stand in the way either.
So why wouldn't we stand up and say, habitat and predators need to be managed better, prior to a draw system. As the true problem is still there and by limiting local hunters is not a real means of fixing the problem? I would call that a quick fix.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
No, there were cuts right across the province based on sheep populations....

I said no such thing so please don't put words in my mouth....I said if resident opportunities were reduced so too should non-resident opportunities. It's in no way tied to success, just opportunity to hunt.
So how do you manage that? Opportunity
Old 04-13-2010, 08:11 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
So why wouldn't we stand up and say, habitat and predators need to be managed better, prior to a draw system. As the true problem is still there and by limiting local hunters is not a real means of fixing the problem? I would call that a quick fix.
I totally agree and I think if you read back through this thread you'll see that most of us have been saying that to SRD. Unfortunately, it appears that a couple WMUs may need a quick fix if what I've been told is true and I have no reason to doubt it.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:15 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
So how do you manage that? Opportunity
SRD determines the amount of opportunity available through seasons, limits, and number of tags and they are talking about reducing some of that opportunity to residents through a draw in select WMUs. If resident opportunity is reduced, then so too should non-resident.

Last edited by sheephunter; 04-13-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
I totally agree and I think if you read back through this thread you'll see that most of us have been saying that to SRD. Unfortunately, it appears that a couple WMUs may need a quick fix if what I've been told is true and I have no reason to doubt it.
I heard that the Ram might be another one. Have you?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
The big three I have heard are 420 422 and 438

And I dont think its all about the amount of sheep but about the pressure on these sheep. They say these are the hardest pressured zones. And have the highest harvest rates.

Not success percent because of the high number of hunters.

SG
Old 04-13-2010, 08:42 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Lots of rumours out there.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:45 PM

Yep and most of them are true
Old 04-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yep and most of them are true
LoL i dont think id say that.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
LoL i dont think id say that.
Well OK, most of the important ones are! |Preditors and habitat and SRD trying to manage hunters instead of the real problem
Old 04-14-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
One of the problems I was pointing out SLH is guys like you come on here throwing around incorrect information as if it were fact and then wonder why SRD won't listen to what many people have to say when they repeat it. You did it under your previous username and you are doing it again under this one. Spare yourself the embarassment of denying it...we both know it's fact.

I agree, read the plan but glean the facts from it and share those with your fellow hunters and use those facts to bolster your aguement. Don't throw wild speculation and incorrect information around as fact and wonder why people call you on it. You raise some very valid concerns. Now offer some valid facts to support those concerns. It's the way to get SRD's ear.
Holy crap did we get a pile of snow pastures should be green in no time.

SH by all means point out this incorrect information I keep putting out there in this life or any others, I'm a big enough boy to admit to any errors I may have put out there. The only thing that you could have issue with is the harvest numbers and the 20 % but I did clarify that in my next post. If you can get me the harvestable surplus numbers I'd be willing to bet they would back up my argument.

Althought I don't have much use for the outfitter industry this isn't about residents vs. non-residents and outfitters; deals have been made and I have to live with that, it is about having a plan that is already in place that should be followed. The point about allocations is that if numbers go down than deal with it as stated in the plan. We run all these scenarios over and over on here yet SRD doesn't do the right thing as laid out in their own document. The reason I keep bringing up the plan is that if more people go over it we wouldn't be talking about what to do it would just be happening.

I don't like a draw as a first step I would rather see longer wait times, which by the way you keep saying won't work do you have proof of that, I feel that short rams should be confiscated the person who shot it should be forced to take a mandatory training course before they are issued another sheep tag at their expense, they should not get that chance for at least double the wait time and SRD has to get these guys convicted when they do take them to court. I think SRD needs to start supporting their own biologists and staff to do the work (in this case wildlife management) they are responsible for and not farming it out to other groups or having bureaucrats making political decisions from Edmonton.

Finally I am opposed to all things RAMP, O/S and HFH but that's for another thread.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter in 2010 srd reg changes thread
A bit more info on consolidating sheep draws.

Same issue with tables. PDF Added

PROPOSED REGULATION & WILDIFE MANAGEMENT CHANGE FOR 2011

CREATE ONE DRAW CODE FOR ALL RESIDENT TROPHY SHEEP SPECIAL LICENCES – F & W EDMONTON

1. CURRENT STRATEGY

Currently there are five separate Resident Special Licence Draw Codes and licences for trophy sheep. These include; WMU 410, WMU 437, WMU 408, WMU 444/446 and WMU 438. Residents may apply for only one of these special licences a year. Of these Special Licence Draws, only WMU 438 is a random draw amongst all applicants. All the other Draw Codes allow applicants to gain priorities within each specific Draw Code.

2. CONCERN

Due to low permit numbers and high demand it is statistically impossible for new hunters to ever have the opportunity in successfully getting drawn (see Capping of Draw Priorities AGMAG proposal for further detail). It is also likely that additional WMUs will be put on draw for trophy sheep. There is a concern in some sheep populations regarding the low number of rams post-hunting season. As a result of this it is likely that additional WMUs will be put on draw for Trophy Sheep.

3. INFORMATION TO SUPPORT CHANGE

For information pertaining to high priority levels within Trophy Sheep Draw codes review the Capping Priorities AGMAG proposal. Due to low numbers of trophy sheep observed during post-hunting season survey, additional WMUs may need to go on draw for resident hunters. Figure 1, illustrates the percentage of trophy rams observed during post-hunting surveys (1993 – 2008) for the Foothills, Clearwater and Southern Rockies areas. The management goal is to have 5% of the population consisting of trophy rams post-hunting season.

If additional WMUs go on draw for Trophy Sheep it will be necessary to create additional draw codes. By creating one Trophy Sheep draw code, hunters would have the flexibility to apply in different hunt areas.

Figure 1. Percent Trophy Rams observed during post-hunting season surveys for the Foothills, Clearwater and Southern Rockies areas; 1993- 2008. 4.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attac...8&d=1271224413

RECOMMENDED CHANGE

Making changes regarding the capping of special licence priorities is undergoing consultation between Fish and Wildlife and major stakeholders. Depending upon results of the consultation process the following options are currently being considered, specifically;

I. Create one Trophy Sheep Draw Code for all Resident Trophy Sheep Special Licences. Allow residents to apply in one WMU within the list of all WMUs which have license allocated under Trophy Sheep Special Licences. Current priority that resident hunters have in Trophy Sheep Draw Codes would be applied to the new Draw Code. As well, hunters that have been applying in WMU 438 with no priorities would be given a priority level which reflects their previous application history.
Regarding the potential new sheep draws, rumours are they may include 420, 422, and 438. These zones are now open season 4/5 curl.

Spent some time thinking about this last night, with the new info from SH.

Rather than put these areas or other 4/5 open wmu's on a draw, which is claimed to be difficult to remove in the future ( I don’t get that one, it is just paperwork), how about leaving them as open season, and increase the legal harvest requirement from 4/5 to Full Curl ?

A few years of this new designation could increase the mature ram population while allowing the season to remain open to general hunting, and eliminating increased pressure in remaining open WMUs. In the future, legal harvest could be reduced back to open season 4/5 curl when the population of mature rams exceeds the desired 5%.

This option would not effect resident opportunity or outfitter allocations.

Keeping It Simple.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Quote:

Regarding the potential new sheep draws, rumours are they may include 420, 422, and 438. These zones are now open season 4/5 curl.

Spent some time thinking about this last night, with the new info from SH.

Rather than put these areas or other 4/5 open wmu's on a draw, which is claimed to be difficult to remove in the future ( I don’t get that one, it is just paperwork), how about leaving them as open season, and increase the legal harvest requirement from 4/5 to Full Curl ?

A few years of this new designation could increase the mature ram population while allowing the season to remain open to general hunting, and eliminating increased pressure in remaining open WMUs. In the future, legal harvest could be reduced back to open season 4/5 curl when the population of mature rams exceeds the desired 5%.

This option would not effect resident opportunity or outfitter allocations.

Keeping It Simple.
If you make them full curl it will put a ton of pressure on other zones especially for the first few years till the sheep grow a bit. Nobody will want to hunt there for a while and in the meantime it will put a ton of pressure on other areas.
One thing I did also learn on my trip to Redcap and to the mine in Cadamin is that those reall old big rams a ton of them never make it to full curl. I was quite surprised at it really. And the ones that were full curl I will admit I would have a way harder time trying to judge a full curl ram vs a 4/5 and would expect a lot of rams to get shot that did not make full curl becasue it is tough to see. Seems harder than 4/5 anyways for me but maybe that is because I have had a lot of experience with the 4/5 and not the full curl zone stuff.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
If you make them full curl it will put a ton of pressure on other zones especially for the first few years till the sheep grow a bit. Nobody will want to hunt there for a while and in the meantime it will put a ton of pressure on other areas.
One thing I did also learn on my trip to Redcap and to the mine in Cadamin is that those reall old big rams a ton of them never make it to full curl. I was quite surprised at it really. And the ones that were full curl I will admit I would have a way harder time trying to judge a full curl ram vs a 4/5 and would expect a lot of rams to get shot that did not make full curl becasue it is tough to see. Seems harder than 4/5 anyways for me but maybe that is because I have had a lot of experience with the 4/5 and not the full curl zone stuff.
I guess it would boil down to how many hunters are in there now. Draw or full curl would both push hunters out of the zone, for full curl maybe only for a few years a draw could last forever. I know that they say the further north you go you get fewer full curls but I wonder what the break down is in those herds that would be affected?
Old 04-14-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I agree with you on this. Full curl isn't that hard to judge but, those old rams that are broomed off won't make 4/5 so how would they make full curl. I understand SRD idea of not having a age limit, as these old rams will at least be the breeding stock.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:51 PM

If it goes to a draw like some people say, it will increase the population. I'm not sure on this one as if it takes say 10 years to get drawn like elk or moose in these years, do you think that a hunter is going to pass up just a legal sheep on the last few days. Personally I don't think so, if you know you aren't going to get drawn for the next how many years. I think how ever gets drawn will shoot whatever. So take what 5 to 9 rams out of these zones now. What if they give out 40 tags, or like the elk 200 tags to start with.
I don't see the population increasing at all.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:52 PM

I have pretty much stayed out of these sheep topics but I guess I should spit my 2 cents out.

I think the sheep herds are doing fine personally in most areas. Yes some of them need help.
I also think we can debate for years and never come up with the best solution. It seems to be happening for the past few months already.

As for a guy who shoots the crap out of the sheep as much as I do I will say that the only thing that would detour me from sheep hunting and killing another would be waiting longer after I did and I would be more willing to pass up more rams to get a bigger one than shoot whatever I felt like.

I don't mind waiting for a draw if I know I will be able to have a good chance at a good ram but this is a dangerous slope and I think it would end up being stupid long wait times to get a tag. There will be more people that would sheep hunt because there would be another draw and people some reason don't really think about what is involved and they put in for a draw just for the heck of it. I know 2 people with Bison draws this year and never went after they got the tag.
Guys would also put in their wives, cousins, brothers and whoever else to get a tag for a sheep even if their Wife, cousins, brothers or whoever has never hunted in their life. It happens now for the Cadomin draw. Your wait times for drawing a sheep tag will end up like the States.

I do not know the answer and I do not think there is a good answer to the problem. I am glad that there is an interest to find the best scenerio but I think we should be careful for what we wish for.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I have pretty much stayed out of these sheep topics but I guess I should spit my 2 cents out.

I think the sheep herds are doing fine personally in most areas. Yes some of them need help.
I also think we can debate for years and never come up with the best solution. It seems to be happening for the past few months already.

As for a guy who shoots the crap out of the sheep as much as I do I will say that the only thing that would detour me from sheep hunting and killing another would be waiting longer after I did and I would be more willing to pass up more rams to get a bigger one than shoot whatever I felt like.

I don't mind waiting for a draw if I know I will be able to have a good chance at a good ram but this is a dangerous slope and I think it would end up being stupid long wait times to get a tag. There will be more people that would sheep hunt because there would be another draw and people some reason don't really think about what is involved and they put in for a draw just for the heck of it. I know 2 people with Bison draws this year and never went after they got the tag.
Guys would also put in their wives, cousins, brothers and whoever else to get a tag for a sheep even if their Wife, cousins, brothers or whoever has never hunted in their life. It happens now for the Cadomin draw. Your wait times for drawing a sheep tag will end up like the States.

I do not know the answer and I do not think there is a good answer to the problem. I am glad that there is an interest to find the best scenerio but I think we should be careful for what we wish for.
Well said.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:59 PM

Due to low permit numbers and high demand it is statistically impossible for new hunters to ever have the opportunity in successfully getting drawn (see Capping of Draw Priorities AGMAG proposal for further detail). It is also likely that additional WMUs will be put on draw for trophy sheep. There is a concern in some sheep populations regarding the low number of rams post-hunting season. As a result of this it is likely that additional WMUs will be put on draw for Trophy Sheep.

This is the one I like, we have been doing the sheep airel survey for the last how many years and the #'s given out ,states that #'s are holding there own. There is another survey being done, starting this year were all wmu will be surveyed in the next 2 years. Now when SRD know this is being down, why don't they wait and make the changes on the info found.
As my point before, it is easier to manage hunters than the true wildlife problem.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:

Finally someone else that makes sense