Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2012, 04:00 PM

Default mounted tv on wall, electrical and cables?

just mounted my flat screen tv on the wall and now I want to put in new power behind the tv. You can see in the image where the existing outlet is, there is about an 8" gap between that stud and the stud to the left that I want to run my cables through. As far as power goes, I dont want to run my tv's power cord just through the wall, i wanted to tag onto that lower outlet and install another one higher. Is it ok to run 14/2 through the wall that distance without stapling it?

It would only be about 36"

Im going to put keystone plates in here too once i decide if i want my cable box and etc below or above the tv. Above I wont need to do anything other than run the coax back up the wall too and the tv will hide everything after i pass it through the shelf. Where as if i put cable boxes below, I will need to run hdmi and everything through the wall to the back of the tv.

Whats you centre of tv height at if anyone else has done this? I put my centre line at 42", but i think its a touch low, i can go up about 4" with the brackets on the back, will try that tonight and hope it works, or else i have 4 fairly large holes in the wall to fill and paint where the screws are.

Thanks

--->MAT
Old 01-10-2012, 04:07 PM

My son is an electrician and he just did mine for me,I remember him saying the power cord should be run about 14-16ins away from the hdmi cords to avoid electrical interference .Hope this helps,dont think the wires need to be stapled in that short a run jmo.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:26 PM

ah i didnt think about the hdmi cables needing to be away from electrical cords since they are currently all spooled up together on the floor anyways, haha.

I was thinking the run would be short enough that staples wouldnt be needed, so thats good to know your son did it that way.

I think the other side of the left stud is insulated, so if i choose to run hdmi and other cables through that one, I will need to work harder to get it through there.

Here is the photo of the studded wall, the insualtion appeard at first to be in that left section, but its recessed back in the exterior wall only, so i will run power through one, and other connection cables through the other. that works out well since those studs are so close, like it was designed for this!

Old 01-10-2012, 04:35 PM

Nice TV. You can also use the plastic wire covers that stick to the wall and enclose the cables, save a lot of work, that is if you don't mind looking at the plastic strips on the wall.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:38 PM

if you run the lomex, in the wall it does not need to be stapled. or in between joists in a finished ceiling where not practial.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:42 PM

sounds like you like to do things right,so...

a bit off topic, but im wondering if your required to install a tamper proof recepticle for this application?

i just had my detached garage electrically inspected and the inspector said that all of the garages' 10 GFI's werent good enough and called for tamperproofs instead....citing it was residence.
apparently they are required almost everywhere else in a residence, except fridge, microwave and on countertops.
well now it appears the ordinary receptcale has been obsoleted along with the standard 4spd transmission
(Im not suggesting I know the codes here, just what was picked up along the way)

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 01-10-2012, 04:53 PM

may need a tamper proof, but in the code it does state readily accesable plugs your garage opener plug on the roof is not readiky accesable and ive never been called on it. would behind the tv be readily accesable?i think tamper proof plugs are a pain and i wont put em in my home.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:02 PM

10 GFI's? Unless you have 10 circuits in the garage that's quite excessive.

Nick0danger I'm curious to know how you think tamper proof plugs are a pain?
Old 01-10-2012, 05:03 PM

I have tamper proof on everything in my house, ill do the same with the one behind the tv just because. the only ones that arent tamper proff that i know of are next to the elec panel, and the kitchen, which are all 20 amp outlets.

I do like to do things right, and I wouldnt be able to live with myself having visible cables on the wall behind a cover, Ill put in the effort and run them in the wall. Cool plates and things like the image below make things look so dam neat! you can buy pieces for any type of cable to run em in the wall and never see them.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel View Post

Nick0danger I'm curious to know how you think tamper proof plugs are a pain?
i find they just harder to plug and unplug stuff, perhaps cause ive used only new ones as my home does not have em, installing is same same.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
i find they just harder to plug and unplug stuff, perhaps cause ive used only new ones as my home does not have em, installing is same same.
I also find new ones hard to plug in, but they do loosen up over time.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel View Post
yup, excessive and overkill...two of my favorite words
actually I had a project that went stale and i just decided to use this dead stock up, rather than trip over it some more.
one recept per one breaker, and split recepts on the bench, also a 20amp T-plug too, which btw is supposed to be tamperproof too!

and what about the buzzbox welder outlet?? Tamperproof too?

i have to deal with power engineering codes, plumbing, gasfitting, and alberta building codes, alberta Fire codes etc etc on almost daily basis..i know codes are for a reason..just sometimes its too much

sorry to derail things...

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 01-10-2012, 07:25 PM

Dumb question here... How do you run wire through the wall without stripping drywall? How do you get the wire through te studs?
Old 01-10-2012, 08:19 PM

i assume he will, run it from the plug up the same stud space, to behind the tv and cut in an easy box, very straight forward
Old 01-10-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
i assume he will, run it from the plug up the same stud space, to behind the tv and cut in an easy box, very straight forward
yep, new box on same stud straight up the cavity between the two.

My only decision now is whether I want the pvr, blu ray, apple tv above or below the tv. The shelf I build for either will be identical, just not sure if I want the stuff up high or down low.