Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2012, 08:28 AM

Default Unknown Injury

So I went to my Doctor yesterday to discuss my MRI results. ACL= Gone. Meniscus= Vertical tear. We figured these were there, but I did get a surprise too. The MRI saw that I had previously broken my knee, and tore my MCL about halfway through. They had crudely healed over and not in proper alignment. I think that may be why my jump shot suffers now.

So I reflect and try and figure out when I may have done that. Then it clicked. I do remember a rough stock practice in Brooks about 15 years ago. My bull didnt turn out of the chute, but he lunged ahead instead and caught my knee on the chute post. Moved my kneecap over to the side of my leg. The medic in the back shoved it back in place, gave me a prescription for 6 Coors Light and away I went. He may have recommended I see a doctor too.

Now I am wondering- What the hel else have I done that I have no idea about?
Old 01-10-2012, 08:36 AM

I think at some point, everyone should have went to a doctor and decides to tough it out.

I now have ankles that are made of paper mache, since I badly rolled both of them and decided to walk it off both times. Such a bad move. I am now paying for that idiocy. If and when I have kids, they will not be allowed to be as dumb as dad.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Go to the clinic, get the tests...
Old 01-10-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

I'm guessing a couple of serious head injuries too if you're still considering getting back on those damn bulls. Don't be a 'Matt' bud. LOL
Old 01-10-2012, 08:49 AM

I've done the same thing with my shoulders. Pulled both of them partially out of the sockets (at different times), held my arms up and jumped up to snap them back in when I landed. Now I can't sleep at night or lift anything over 10 pounds while my arms are extended. Had them x-rayed and the doc says there's nothing wrong with them. I do a windmill and ask him "whats all the snapping about" he says he doesn't know, but there's nothing wrong with my shoulders. Oh well, went to the hospital the first time it happened and they gave me a sling. That didn't help, so now I live with it and keep telling myself to "toughen' up"......
Old 01-10-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
I've done the same thing with my shoulders. Pulled both of them partially out of the sockets (at different times), held my arms up and jumped up to snap them back in when I landed. Now I can't sleep at night or lift anything over 10 pounds while my arms are extended. Had them x rayed and the doc says there's nothing wrong with them. I do a windmill and ask him "whats all the snapping about" he says he doesn't know, but there's nothing wrong with my shoulders. Oh well, went to the hospital the first time it happened and they gave me a sling. That didn't help, so now I live with it and keep telling myself to "toughen' up"......
IMO, I'd be asking for an mri, CT or ultrasound to see what's up in your shoulders.

A shoulder that dislocates or partially dislocates can do some damage that doesn't show on an x-ray. Cartilage (labral) tears, tendon tears, joint capsule damage are all things that would cause your troubles.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:14 AM

As you age you will discover many old injuries, of some form, that can't be accounted for. At least that is what I attribute them to, payback for past abuses, of which there must have been a lot more than I remember about.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
I'm guessing a couple of serious head injuries too if you're still considering getting back on those damn bulls. Don't be a 'Matt' bud. LOL
I dont know if any injury to my head could be deemed as "serious", but ya, there were a few of them too.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:16 AM

Going through the mysterious injury phase myself. Off to physio tomorrow. Never saw the doc after popping my knee as a teenager. Just limped for 6 weeks. Now I'm paying for it. Mysteriously damaged cartilage in the same knee. Go figure.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:35 PM

I wake up at night, toss and turn for a while, think about what hurts, remember how I got that way. A real good movie is North Dallas Fourty, Nick Nolte gets out of bed, moves various body parts, and the film flashes back to the game film and shows why it hurts.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Gone Hunting

I've got some scar tissue fromthe doctor cutting off my horns at birth................right after he slapped my momma.

When Yes Dear and I first got married, I had this nagging pain nearly on a daily basis. I finally got to the point where I'd just hand the phone to YD when my ex gf called.

I was at the doctors before Christmas for my annual checkup. He asked if I had any specific concerns. I proceeded to tell him of the shortness of breath, difficulty breathing , excessive burning in the eyes with lots of tearing up.

He asked when these symptoms occurred. I told him it was shortly after going to bed. He figured it was the bear spray Yes Dear asked him about.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-10-2012, 10:08 PM

Sigh.
Broken leg.
Torn knee ligaments.
2 blown lower discs.
2 hernias. 1 fixed, 1 soon to be.
Bad knees.
More scars than are worth counting.
Should have stayed in University. Papercuts leave smaller scars.
My wife wants to trade me in on warranty.