Old 01-11-2012, 10:27 AM
AvayaAce

Made in Japan = Cleaned up by Japan
Old 01-11-2012, 10:46 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Id venture to guess that a body would be unlikely to make it across the ocean
Decay and water would take care of that.

As for their garbage, our Minister of Foreign Affairs should be addressing that matter shortly.

If not, it should be destroyed while it is still at sea. At the Japanese expense. They can repatriate any dead Japanese they find too.

Our government sent tens of millions to them. The LEAST they could do is clean up their mess. It is a pending ecological disaster. Why is it that WE are always sending $ to others, yet we receive nothing in return when we need something?

This cleanup is a Japanese responsibility. They arent poor.
Bodies would likely make it across the ocean, decayed yes but maybe in cars,boats,homes ext... Japan can pay for the bodies to be shipped back to there side of the ocean, as for the cleanup it was a NATURAL disaster that happened here so it should be a GLOBAL effort. Vancouver Island (B.C COAST) earthquake is coming probably in the next 30 years, when it happens and our stuff washes out to sea i hope they can send out stuff back to us.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:02 AM

It will be interesting how "global" this cleanup is when it happens.

I see Canada getting screwed as well as the US

These so called "environmentalists" should be pressuring Japan to take care of it, rather than signing up unknowing people to vote to save the "spirit bear"
Old 01-11-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
It will be interesting how "global" this cleanup is when it happens.

I see Canada getting screwed as well as the US

These so called "environmentalists" should be pressuring Japan to take care of it, rather than signing up unknowing people to vote to save the "spirit bear"
I will keep everyone posted to what they find, so far just bottles, spray cans, and even some gas cans, i am visiting in the summer time.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
I will keep everyone posted to what they find, so far just bottles, spray cans, and even some gas cans, i am visiting in the summer time.
Cool. Be careful
Old 01-11-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
not to mention possible scavanging. People will laugh, but finders keepers.
There's gotta be some nice stuff washing up soon. You never know.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I'm wondering how much we will find in Hawaii. There is stuff there already I guess.
Ya it's called "Dog & Beth"
Old 01-11-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
I wonder how it will affect our spawning grounds for various species.

X2

This should be the real concern, the impact on the environment.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Gone Hunting

Too bad it wasn't an oil spill. The greenies would spring into action. I guess there's really no big corp to harass over this.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Banned

Chances are it will not reach California and just be part of the expanding garbage in the Pacific Gyre,, the worlds largest garbage sanctuary.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Banned

This is a clip from a Japanese film by Kurosawa (the director who was the creator of the Spaghetti Western, The Magnificent Seven, etc..),, this clip is from 1990,,, read the subtitles, the video is poor but it's quite prophetic. Great film too with some of the most high end CGI from George Lucas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9guP...3E07462D4B20D1
Old 01-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Banned

Much of the Pacific Gyre is made up of plastic and it is almost the size of the U.S. There were plans to use seining nets to ball up the debris but there's a greater problem, as the plastic breaks down it becomes more and more microscopic,, so in the food chain,, plankton ingests it then the fish that eats the plankton (plus whales), then the fish that eat the fish that eat plankton, and so on and so on up the food chain,, kinda like the woman who swallowed the fly the spider the bird the cat,,, being that plastic is oil based, it doesn't really sink, and is always in the prominent feeding area. harder plastics mimic estrogen,, so when ingested at whatever level, it fudges the hormones and fish in the area are more androgenous or infertile females. So whether your a greeny or not -aparently the opposite of a greeny is an outdoorsmen- the fishing may get weird out on the salt.

Maybe a icthyologist can chime in and correct me or put it better.

Flame away
Old 01-11-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Japanese garbage, Japanese problem

They can start sending ships and men to clean up.

And Canada shouldnt spend a dime.
They are too busy hunting for whales in the southern ocean
Old 01-11-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Chaser View Post
They are too busy hunting for whales in the southern ocean
Good point. With all their fishing boats, they could clean up their mess with ease.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Good point. With all their fishing boats, they could clean up their mess with ease.
So if you find some cool stuff, lets say a car washes up on the beach is it finders keepers?
Old 01-11-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
"We have bought enough of their junk"

I stopped thinking and talking that way by the end of the 1970s, when I compared the image from Sony TVs to that of our (now defunct) north american brands.

Then I looked at Canon and Nikon SLR cameras - opened those suckers up and the quality machining & fitting of their F1 and F2 models would shine. These were high precision mechanical, electrical & optical devices.

Next was my first Jap car, a Honda Accord. The Accord's comfort, quality and performance was a decade ahead of what the big three were then offering (think Ford Fiesta, Plymouth Horizon).

But surely you were thinking of China...that's where the real junk comes from. But wait, China also assembles Boeing jetliners. Hmmm.

Things are changing don't you think?
I was just kidding! I don't think they make junk any more. In fact, we have a houseful of Japanese goods plus two family cars, this is how much we love their stuff. But it's true that it's about time for us to sell something to them for a change!
Old 01-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by althetrainer View Post
I was just kidding! I don't think they make junk any more. In fact, we have a houseful of Japanese goods plus two family cars, this is how much we love their stuff. But it's true that it's about time for us to sell something to them for a change!
I beleive they buy more salmon from B.C than any other country for their sushi industry,,, some salmon are shipped by air live in a sleeping state. Also the amount of $$$ from tuition and such from their youngins in school here is staggering,,, the Japanese are one of the biggest tourist travellers to Canada. For every day per every family member travelling to Canada, the spending per day per person averages to $180,,, been to Banff lately?
Old 01-11-2012, 05:25 PM

Exclamation Radiation from Japan

I wonder who going to get the bill for clean up from radiation? What is the long term damage to west coast of North America ?
Old 01-11-2012, 05:45 PM

Don't think this garbage is contaminated with particles from the nuclear plant, because the garbage was basically washed to sea soon as the tsunami receded. Coastal then ocean currents grabbed a hold of the junk, sending it to the North East.

The Fujima nuclear plant's first radiation releases occurred at least a day after the garbage reached the sea; the earliest were gas releases that travelled to the North West for the most part.

So at first we have gasses into the lower atmosphere then later badly contaminated seawater into coastal waters. Dilution took care of those radioactive compounds, though they might well end up concentrated in the food chain. Minute quantities of radioactive iodine did reach BC as part of normal precipitation, approx. a week to 10 days after the Fujima (sp?) meltdown began.

I figure the garbage that washes up in north america will be non-radioactive.

I like the idea suggested earlier to catch this garbage in seine nets, well offshore and before it hits our shores and gets pulverized & shredded.
Who's to pay is a tough call. Where to dispose of it is another. After all the earthquake and tsunami were natural events. The meltdown, otoh, was not.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
Don't think this garbage is contaminated with particles from the nuclear plant, because the garbage was basically washed to sea soon as the tsunami receded. Coastal then ocean currents grabbed a hold of the junk, sending it to the North East.

The Fujima nuclear plant's first radiation releases occurred at least a day after the garbage reached the sea; the earliest were gas releases that travelled to the North West for the most part.

So at first we have gasses into the lower atmosphere then later badly contaminated seawater into coastal waters. Dilution took care of those radioactive compounds, though they might well end up concentrated in the food chain. Minute quantities of radioactive iodine did reach BC as part of normal precipitation, approx. a week to 10 days after the Fujima (sp?) meltdown began.

I figure the garbage that washes up in north america will be non-radioactive.

I like the idea suggested earlier to catch this garbage in seine nets, well offshore and before it hits our shores and gets pulverized & shredded.
Who's to pay is a tough call. Where to dispose of it is another. After all the earthquake and tsunami were natural events. The meltdown, otoh, was not.
I hope you are right...Radiation hard to control and cleanup.