Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2011, 06:08 PM

this encounter really leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. I do respect what kind of crap they have to deal with, but we were totally in shock. they could of told us to do anything that night, we were powerless and confused and emotionally distraught.

There was no resistance from either of us, but still the bad cop attitude was very present. The response we got from filing the complaint shows that there is something wrong from top down. I was more upset leaving the police station then when i arrived. My family wants us to Lawyer up, but i still think It might do more harm than good. I know there are good officers in Sylvan lake, but hope they dont follow into this way of treating people.

I thank everyone on here for your support, this is totally the worst thing to happen to us. I was suppose to be on Holidays right now chasing my big white-tail not dealing with this nightmare. I hope no one shoots my 5x 6 white-tail i have stalked all fall!

Rob.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Please tell me you have insurance.

In the meantime is there any way I can help? Jackets, clothes, etc? Have you got a place to stay?
Thank you for offering, we are still in shock about what to do. I did have insurance but still does not replace photos, deer mounts etc, basically every memory piece we had.

we really are having a hard time trying to find a rental or place to move into in the eckville and sylvan area. if anyone knows of something coming free for december please message me.

we have lots of people who want to offer us items, but the thing is we have no were to put anything. basically we have a duffle bag and a hotel room which we have to move from room to room because its so busy.

just glad to be alive, could of easily been killed by this fire!
Old 11-11-2011, 06:30 PM

Never mind the rcmp,lets help out this family,sound like good people to me.If you need something pm me I will do my best for you
Chris
Old 11-11-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Please tell me you have insurance.

In the meantime is there any way I can help? Jackets, clothes, etc? Have you got a place to stay?
x2

who cares about the rcmp , do you guys need anything?
Old 11-11-2011, 07:13 PM

Is "dirty harry" still posted in sylvan?

If karma does exist I hope it is in the form of a long incarceration in general population.

That guy is totally unsuted for being a police officer.

Grade 3 bully with a badge.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:45 PM

I'm sure your fellow Sylvan Lakers would be interested to know about your entire ordeal. If it hits the papers, it will reach very high up.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:24 PM

Default Handcuff Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Is "dirty harry" still posted in sylvan?

If karma does exist I hope it is in the form of a long incarceration in general population.

That guy is totally unsuted for being a police officer.

Grade 3 bully with a badge.
Handcuff Harry is what we called him. He was the worst officer i had ever met! I'm glad he's gone! he would give you a ticket for sneezing!
Old 11-11-2011, 09:36 PM

The biggest thing we are struggling with finding a new place to live. We have three dogs, so any place we inquire on will not allow pets. My fiance owns a business in Rocky and I work in blackfalds, so our acerage west of sylvan was perfect for us. Now we are in tough shape to figure out what to do.

If anyone knows someone who has a place coming up for rent or sale or just pass on the word for me.

thank you everyone.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning375 View Post
The biggest thing we are struggling with finding a new place to live. We have three dogs, so any place we inquire on will not allow pets. My fiance owns a business in Rocky and I work in blackfalds, so our acerage west of sylvan was perfect for us. Now we are in tough shape to figure out what to do.

If anyone knows someone who has a place coming up for rent or sale or just pass on the word for me.

thank you everyone.
Kijiji

Ad ID 329354734
Looking for responsible Renters for our 3 bedroom 2 bathroom modular home. Asking 1200 +power.... In the Caroline,Rocky Mountain House Area
Prefer No Pets and no Parties!

Ad ID 329325222
3 Bedrooms, 1.5 Bathrooms, 5 Appliances, Fenced Yard, Small Dog Friendly
Rent $995 + Utilities, Security Deposit $600
Call Sim & Thorne Property Management, for viewing
403-347-0755
4432 47 Ave Sylvan Lake

Date Listed 08-Nov-11
Price $720.00
Address 4915 47 Ave, Innisfail, AB T4G 1N6, Canada
View map
Bedrooms (#) 2 bedrooms and den
Bathrooms (#) 1 bathroom
Size (sqft) 820
For Rent By Owner
Furnished No
Pet Friendly Yes
2 Bedroom House in Innisfail. Includes Fridge, gas stove, insulated shed, washer/dryer, fenced yard, parking at the back. Available December 1

Pets negotiable.
Non-smoker.
Utilities not included.

Rent $720.00,
Security Deposit $720.00

Call 403.479.5285 to inquire (Address is 4915 47 Ave)
Old 11-11-2011, 10:06 PM

sorry to hear of your loss..... Hope your situation improves quickly
Old 11-11-2011, 10:09 PM

I'm sorry for your loss. I know there are so many things you can't replace, but there only things. You and your lady will be stronger now.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Kijiji

Ad ID 329354734
Looking for responsible Renters for our 3 bedroom 2 bathroom modular home. Asking 1200 +power.... In the Caroline,Rocky Mountain House Area
Prefer No Pets and no Parties!

Ad ID 329325222
3 Bedrooms, 1.5 Bathrooms, 5 Appliances, Fenced Yard, Small Dog Friendly
Rent $995 + Utilities, Security Deposit $600
Call Sim & Thorne Property Management, for viewing
403-347-0755
4432 47 Ave Sylvan Lake

like i said, nothing for our situaton. three dogs and anything Sim & Thorne is a renting is a crack house. All though we lost everything we still have some standards we still want to live in. thanks for your efforts.

Date Listed 08-Nov-11
Price $720.00
Address 4915 47 Ave, Innisfail, AB T4G 1N6, Canada
View map
Bedrooms (#) 2 bedrooms and den
Bathrooms (#) 1 bathroom
Size (sqft) 820
For Rent By Owner
Furnished No
Pet Friendly Yes
2 Bedroom House in Innisfail. Includes Fridge, gas stove, insulated shed, washer/dryer, fenced yard, parking at the back. Available December 1

Pets negotiable.
Non-smoker.
Utilities not included.

Rent $720.00,
Security Deposit $720.00

Call 403.479.5285 to inquire (Address is 4915 47 Ave)
sorry need something in eckville or sylvan that is not a crack house and is pet friendly. i thank you for your efforts
Old 11-12-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Browning, I understand what you are going through. Feel free to get in touch if I can be of any help. These will be trying days, weeks and months.
Even 2 years after it still effects us.
Jamie
i worked cosely with jamie through this trying time in his families life and it was something i would not wish on my worst enemy. so if you have any questions or need support from someone who has been through the exact same thing take him up on his offer, as nobody can truly understand that situation until they have exsperienced it themselves.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:31 AM

Sorry to hear your house burnt down.

As for dealing the RCMP Officers, file a written complaint. Be specific about what happened, why it affected you and what outcome you want to see.

Be realistic with what would make you happy, a formal apologie from the officers, and maybe some sensitivity training.

Next make sure that you take your complaint to the Detachment Commander.

Remember the RCMP is pulling officers from the same labour pool as everyone else. Such are having a heck of a time recruiting enough canidates. With every industry, service they have their problems. Some times those problems are just a few people or the whole detachement.
Since we pay the taxes that pay them we have to hold them accountable for their actions.
I found when ever I made a complaint it was always handled promptly.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:53 AM

Quote:
My fiance and i lost our home in a fire just west of Sylvan lake on monday night. It was the worst moment in our lives, watching everything we loved
going up in flames.

I was the first one on the scene after returning home from work, seeing my house was on fire. I tried desperatly to retrieve some belongings and was only able to recover a couple of photo albums before becoming overwelmed by smoke and heat.

My fiance found me stumbling around outside our burning house in shock coughing and throwing up, and brought me to were my sister and brother were waiting. Immediatly two RCMP officers grabbed me and my Fiance and instructed us to follow them. We went ahead and started to follow the RCMP officers to our fence line, not knowing what they wanted from us. We were instructed to scale the barbwire fence and follow them to their cruisers. Mean while still in shock i stumbled through the fence, ripping my jeans and jacket and continued to the cruiser. My fiance who is balling her eyes out is being hearded and barked at by a very inteminating officer, towering over her and made her crawl through the fence . She stated that there was an opening 75 ft down the fence she could use but was shouted at to follow him.

I followed my officer to the cruiser, and was placed in the back seat like a criminal. I was grilled for 30 mins, basically treated like i was the one who started my house on fire and was not shown any simpathy at all. After a totall break down in the back of the police cruiser, i was released. My fiance was also placed in back of the police cruiser of the other officer. She was wearing a pair of my workboots because of rushing home she forgot to put on shoes, she explained to the officer she could not get her feet into the car due to my size 13 boots. He said to her" tough, my front seat is full, i have leg room and that's all that matters." after her statement she was dragged through the barb wire fence again and was brought to my truck.

we were back together at my truck , shuck up over the intense grilling and intimination of the officers and we watched our house burn while fire crews tried to put the flames out.

I totally have lost all respect for the RCMP in their lack of compasision and concern of our situation. We were treated like criminals instead of victims, there was no control of the scene, as people were just driving through my yard to take a look and who knows what else. they had no clue there was an entrance way between my neibors yard and mine, saving my fiance from being yanked through a barb wire fence and causing her more stress.

The RCMP are suppose to be pillars in our community, and be someone who is there to help people in need. I still can not believe how unconcerned they were about our situation. Watching everything you own burn is pretty much one of the worst things to happen in ones life, and to have people who you respect and trust treat you like a criminal and second class citizen really upsets me.

Have you ever had a bad steak? do you still eat beef? Thats all I'm going to say here.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:15 AM

Wow, sorry for your loss 375. I can't imagine what you are going through. If I can help in any way, let me know.

I am sorry to hear how you were treated, doesn't seem right. I've always had respect for the RCMP.

Good luck to you and yours in the future
Old 11-12-2011, 07:10 AM

Sylvan cops have had a bad rep for a very long time. Anyone remember that kid they roughed up real bad they ruptured his speen they beat him so bad? They have a crew of bad cops there that are trying to out muscle even the tiniest of issues. Necessary force for the crime doesn't apply to the Sylvan RCMP department. It's a 'Bad Boys' club for cops there. My friend was having a Crohns attack really bad one night. He was puking and crying he was in so much pain and a male & female officer team found him. The female officer was berating him, calling him effeminate names and questioning his manhood while he was curled up in a ball on the ground, the male officer? Laughing at him the whole time.... Offers for medical help? NOPE. Don't ever walk home from the bar or even a friends house late at night there unless you want a gauranteed encounter. It takes Citizen complaints up to the top of the pole to get these freaks outta there. If you file a complaint tell them you want a follow up so you know what was done about the indiscretion. - Squeek
Old 11-12-2011, 07:24 AM
Banned

Sorry to hear about your fire.Same thing happened to me.I came home from work and the place was fully engulfed,couldn`t save a thing.11 rifles,grizz mounts everything.....poof.A life time gone just like that.I hope you can get started up again soon,if I can help?
Old 11-12-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Have you ever had a bad steak? do you still eat beef? Thats all I'm going to say here.
Do you say nothing and keep buying your steaks from the same place hoping that the next one will be better, or do your try and do something to make sure that you don't get another bad steak?
Old 11-12-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
The police are there to investigate, not give you hugs. Everyone says file a complaint. What might that complaint be, "that policeman was mean to me"?

I feel sorry for you, losing everything like that. At least you are ok. I am not sure where the right place to start rebuilding your life is, but I doubt worrying about the manners of the RCMP should really be very high on your priority list right now.

I wish you luck in the future.
I don't understand how not filing a complaint is not a good thing, first and foremost they were not treated in a respectful manner and the police officers should be investigated and remanded if deemed necessary. If we just sit back and not say anything then we are allowing this abuse of authority to continue and there will never be change in the RCMP or any police force. Unfortunately the forces are in need of people and I feel they are now selecting candidates that would not have been selected in previous years and in turn we are getting more and more people that can't handle the responsibility and power that comes with such positions. We must stand up and make the necessary complaints or files against in order for everybody to be aware and change to take place.

Sorry to hear about your loss and glad to hear that no one was injured. Take care.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
Hey pal you can go to hell! I hope your house burns down and you lose everything you own then get bullied around by people who should be there to help!

Keep your retarded comments to yourself!
Old 11-12-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Hey pal you can go to hell! I hope your house burns down and you lose everything you own then get bullied around by people who should be there to help!

x2
Old 11-12-2011, 09:40 AM

Holy crap what a time to push people around. I'm in Calgary but if there is anything you guys need please let me know. We would love to help you guys out. Like Ken said I hope you guys had insurance.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Good! You've already said too much.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 11-12-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIBACKPACKER View Post
Holy crap what a time to push people around. I'm in Calgary but if there is anything you guys need please let me know. We would love to help you guys out. Like Ken said I hope you guys had insurance.
Thank you very much.

I want to thank all of the fellow members for their prayers and kind gesters. I'm glad this site is here to get my mind off of the other crap.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANG View Post
Sadly im sure most wont be surprised by your story.
Part of the wildrose's party platform is to finally get rid of them.
Im guessing its going to buy them a whole lot of votes.
Sorry for your loss but at least you guys are o.k
Alberta signed a 20 year contract with the RCMP, that was in August 2011. I am sure their is an exit clause which would cost us an arm and leg, plus we would then have to hire/train/develop our own provincial police force.

As to the original intent of this post - I imagine the RCMP were trying to protect the owners of the home, incase it was arson and you were dumb enough to stand around. Or to question you while you are emotional seeing it burn, maybe you were guilty and might mess up your story.

Either way it was wrong, they should of asked for identification, asked if they could assist, etc.

The federal government made this mess, when $ was tight in the 80's they froze hiring of RCMP when 2000 hit, they saw the massive retirement start and needed replacements ASAP so they hired anyone/everyone they could, rushed them through Depot. Lowering the requirements, etc . Also creating a huge gap between the number of experienced/seasoned vets per rookie.

Yesterday at the service we had 8-9 RCMP half of which looked like they haven't started shaving yet.

I am sorry for your loss, truly I am.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:

what does bad steak even mean? Sorry for your loss bud. I hope everything turns out ok.
be strong and keep pushing forward. In trying times like these you will come out a much stronger person. Its the hardships that shapes us.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Stupid is what Stupid does...Fitting..
Sorry for your Loss...
Old 11-12-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Have you ever been one punched? do you still spew nonsense? thats all im saying here. (maybe )
Old 11-12-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1960 View Post
Good! You've already said too much.
I just don't like seeing people cut down a respectable force for one bad apple. Its pretty disrespectful. I'm not going to get into it because people are ignorant, but if you have a problem with an officer, thats fine, but don't target an entire force because of 1 mans ignorance.