Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2012, 11:44 PM

Default Automatic transmission fluid help

So I'm changing the fluid on my tranny, i bought a new filter and fluid I am going to remove the oil pan and replace the filter, but do I have to unhook the tranny lines to drain all the fluid? Also once I drain all the fluid, how do I know when it's full considering the vehicle is an Oldsmobile alero and they do not have a dipstick for the transmission.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:54 PM

not sure abuot what your doing but it is almost impossible to remove all oil from automatic tranny unless remover from car. but the little that is left is usualy rejuvinated from the additives in the new fresh oil. and the torque converter usualy holds the most.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:59 PM

Had the same issue in a chevy colbalt we had. there was a check plug that was hard to get at but gives no help on a hot level which is where you should check. I was told by a GM tech put in the amount specified by factory and if it doesnt shift right bring it in. ( I shook my head too ) but it was fine and had no problems with it for as long as we had it.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:00 AM

Your all good, drop the pan change the filter and top it up, that is what i was told by a tranny guy that's been doing it for 30 yrs. I did my truck every spring before trailer hauling season started with no issues.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:17 AM

Drain the fluid, then pour it into 1 litre bottles to see how much came out and put the same amount back in. Probably around 4 litres.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:28 PM

drain all the fluid and replace the filter. near the passenger side drive axle there is a plug that u remove as a way of checking the level. with this plug removed add about 3 litres of fluid and then start the car. continue adding fluid slowly untill it comes out of the plug. when the fluid comes out of the plug it is considered the full level and u can replace the plug.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Banned

take it in to have it done. one guy here got it right.....you cant do it right yourself. there are two options...either remove the thing from the vehicle to turn it upside down and roll it to get the old fluid out....or hook it to a machine that flushes it. the machine is better as it pushes fresh fluid through all parts and removes all old fluid. it connect to both supply and return lines and uses low pressure to flush out contaminates. dumping the pan removes only a portion of the old fluid.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
take it in to have it done. one guy here got it right.....you cant do it right yourself. there are two options...either remove the thing from the vehicle to turn it upside down and roll it to get the old fluid out....or hook it to a machine that flushes it. the machine is better as it pushes fresh fluid through all parts and removes all old fluid. it connect to both supply and return lines and uses low pressure to flush out contaminates. dumping the pan removes only a portion of the old fluid.
If it was my vehicle, I'd drop the pan myself and replace the filter then go take it in and have a tranny flush done on it. That way you get a new filter and ALL new fluids! Will cost a bit more though...
Old 01-09-2012, 11:17 PM

so i dropped the pan , changed the filter and all and it took about 5 litres of new oil which is still better than nothing, i do not have a dipstick so i filled it untill it was pouring out of the drain plug but i did not have the vehicle running while i did this, does the vehicle need to be running to get the proper amount of fluid or should i be ok?
Old 01-09-2012, 11:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
If it was my vehicle, I'd drop the pan myself and replace the filter then go take it in and have a tranny flush done on it. That way you get a new filter and ALL new fluids! Will cost a bit more though...
the transmission shop would replace that filter for you. its included in the price. i dunno, it might save a couple bucks i guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall94 View Post
so i dropped the pan , changed the filter and all and it took about 5 litres of new oil which is still better than nothing, i do not have a dipstick so i filled it untill it was pouring out of the drain plug but i did not have the vehicle running while i did this, does the vehicle need to be running to get the proper amount of fluid or should i be ok?
fluid should be checked hot. hot means at operating temp which would take easy 20 minutes or more of idling. best to check it after driving somewhere.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall94 View Post

the vehicle must be running when checking the fluid,
Old 01-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Banned

the transmission in my vehicle is made by honda and is a sealed unit that I can't change the filter has to be done at the dealership, so every year I drop what I can out of it into the drain pan which is about 5 litres, I am told it takes 12 litres total, so I take it out and measure it and put the same ammount back in, I use the good stuff ams oil synthetic, do it the beginning of every summer or 20,000 km, the owners manual says every 50,000, there is also a magnetized end to the bolt that holds a few steel filings.hopefully it stays good doing it this way.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:04 PM

As a previous Honda tech for five years trust me in the fact that all we did as there is no trans filter to replace was a drain and fill
Drained three liters of Honda ATF and put in three new ones to replace. Tested ok then move on. Different manufactures have different procedures and this was Honda 's. There was a hot fluid flush machine but was only to flush cooler..
As far as the OP the olds alero remove trans pan remove and replace trans filter inspect/clean pan including magnet may require new pan gasket. Put new fluid in to appropriate level under operating temp. If availible flush new trans fluid with flush machine. This insures that ALL fluid is changed from lines to torque converter. Once completed recheck fluid in park engine running under operating temp
Old 01-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie01 View Post
As a previous Honda tech for five years trust me in the fact that all we did as there is no trans filter to replace was a drain and fill
Drained three liters of Honda ATF and put in three new ones to replace. Tested ok then move on. Different manufactures have different procedures and this was Honda 's. There was a hot fluid flush machine but was only to flush cooler..
As far as the OP the olds alero remove trans pan remove and replace trans filter inspect/clean pan including magnet may require new pan gasket. Put new fluid in to appropriate level under operating temp. If availible flush new trans fluid with flush machine. This insures that ALL fluid is changed from lines to torque converter. Once completed recheck fluid in park engine running under operating temp
good to know, I am getting 5-6 litres out of it, and replacing it with ams oil synthetic that's z1 rated.