Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-18-2024, 07:57 AM

Default Worst day ever

I woke up at 4AM and left South Calgary for Sunbreaker Cove at Sylvan Lake hopping to catch some whitefish. I was alone.

On the highway I ran over something that I found out later by smell it was a dead skunk. It was ran over multiple times so it was almost flat but my car still smells like skunk.

I didn't catch any white fish, I was able to see them but they didn't want to see me, I mean my offerings, and the small perch were a constant nuisance. So you can say I was double skunked.

When I was ready to leave, I opened my car door and the only key that I had with me, the other one was at home so I wouldn't lose them both, broke into the door lock so I couldn't start my car and go home.

I had to call my wife to bring me the other key, I didn't see any other solution, so she had to drive 400KM both ways to save me.

When I got home around 11 PM and looked into the mirror I found out that I got a sun tan all over my face except the forehead that was covered by a tuque. So my face is red brownish and my forehead some sort of white.

On the bright side I caught a 2' walleye on a wire worm tipped with a maggot while fishing for perch out of boredom. I also was able to see the burbots cruising by and catch a couple, but unfortunately I didn't see them spawning.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

And then there are those days

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM

The reality of ice fishing you don't see on YouTube. We've all been there if it's any consolation.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:42 AM

A couple weeks ago I fell through the ice, and my truck nearly went through as well... that seemed pretty terrible at the time. Then we had a fatality at work, which put things back into perspective.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:01 AM

I remember having to smash my rear truck window with my ice auger as my infant son was locked in the vehicle while we were ice fishing on a remote lake. I jumped out of the truck to grab a tip-up and the vehicle auto-locked (a random glitch with that truck)... It happens to all of us, :-(
Old 03-18-2024, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
I remember having to smash my rear truck window with my ice auger as my infant son was locked in the vehicle while we were ice fishing on a remote lake. I jumped out of the truck to grab a tip-up and the vehicle auto-locked (a random glitch with that truck)... It happens to all of us, :-(
Good ole Chevy
Old 03-18-2024, 11:54 AM

My bro dropped keys down the ice hole once. Had to get the wife to do the same kind of 400km drive to bring me the spare set…..with a car that was very questionable safety wise. Then had to go to work the next Monday and explain how I lost a work key that opened doors all across western Canada.
Fun times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2024, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fradaburidi View Post
On the bright side I caught a 2' walleye on a wire worm tipped with a maggot while fishing for perch out of boredom.
If this isn't a tall fishing tale, then I'd say you had a very good day. I fish Sylvan Lake often and talk with others, and nobody is having luck with walleye this year, certainly not in the 2 foot range.

The perch are certainly annoying. However, over on Norglenwold they seem to have moved out in favour of the burbot and whitefish which I'm perfectly fine with.
Old 03-18-2024, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
Good ole Chevy
Yup!
Old 03-18-2024, 08:05 PM

You were fishing... I could think of a lot of worse days if you ask me.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 03-18-2024, 08:37 PM

Bad day fishing beats a good day working.....

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 03-23-2024, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDFisher View Post
If this isn't a tall fishing tale, then I'd say you had a very good day. I fish Sylvan Lake often and talk with others, and nobody is having luck with walleye this year, certainly not in the 2 foot range.

The perch are certainly annoying. However, over on Norglenwold they seem to have moved out in favour of the burbot and whitefish which I'm perfectly fine with.
Have caught more than a few walleye in the 50cm range. Late fall before ice trolling cranks at a quick speed with a down rigger set at 12ft works great. Also caught a few nice once jigging minnow in 25FOW and bottom bouncing with a dewey.
Old 03-24-2024, 09:13 AM

I have lost my keys a few times. After the second time , I have secured the second set of keys to the outside of my car/truck .
Old 03-24-2024, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I have lost my keys a few times. After the second time , I have secured the second set of keys to the outside of my car/truck .
You mean you just leave them in the door?

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk