Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-01-2015, 12:27 PM

Default muir lake opener

Hey i spent the better part of the morning fishing at muir lake and never even got a sniff and that is usually my luck when fishing rainbows ...so im hoping some of you guys might wanna share with me a few set ups and how to fish them in a lake full of rainbows ...i tried all kinds of leaches saw rising fish so tried a foam beetle ..shrimp ...nymphs ..you name it ..maybe im not fishing them proper ? I just wanna be like most of the rest and be able to go out and catch ..im using 9 ft leader with floating line ..hope someone here can help end this darn curse thx oh and i have no problem catching the ones sticked every year ...but when it comes to a lake with older fish ..nadda ...thx in advance
Old 05-01-2015, 01:05 PM

Try shallow, I always find them far shallower then you would think in the spring. Muir also is a tougher lake to fish, they're old and wise to the ways of the fishermen, nevermind the constant pressure.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:29 PM

Try some Chironomids.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:39 PM

K so with chrominids is it best to use an indicator or try n dead drift it? Sry for the questions but i been fly fishing a few yrs now with very limited success so i figured i better start askin lol
Old 05-01-2015, 02:24 PM

http://flyfishingtraditions.blogspot...mid-facts.html

I would take a look at this and do a few more searches. Not saying that in any sarcastic way either. Chironimids are a big part of many different species of fish's diets and it could very well be what your missing while tying to connect at Muir. I would study the "rise forms" closely
and see if they are feeding on top or were they possibly feeding just under the surface? That has been a personal mistake of mine many times. I am sure you are very close to catching those fish and there is not a fly fisher that does struggle a few times every season.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:14 PM

Muir is a great lake for cronies just off bottom.curious to know if the rising fish seemed less like feeding and more like large spawners in the shallows chasing each other?
Old 05-01-2015, 04:41 PM
Banned

One of mine there today spilled eggs all over my kayak.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:24 PM

I was there 10-5 today. With the wind it was harder to notice the rising fish but it seemed the Chrom's were coming up to the surface when there wasn't any direct sun. And the trout keyed in on em quick & quite a few were taking them as they hatched on the surface. If the sun came out bright they turned off.

I fished #14 Chrom's about a foot off the bottom & did ok. Missed as many as I landed. Managed 3 rainbows ( 2 @ 18" ) & even hooked a nice little 11" Brown. The guy next to me schooled me tho, he was on fire, musta landed 10 or so......
Old 05-01-2015, 09:34 PM

Had 9 today just trolling and casting along the shore with a black leech, lots of chroms in belly but did not feel like watching an indicator.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:53 PM

Thx a ton as usual good responses ...i gauruntee thats part of it cuz i did not even try the chrominids and ivhad a feeling i should have ill give it a go in a week when the traffic dies doen and hope to have a post about a fish i finally caught lol its just muir lake has my numbers i guess lol
Old 05-01-2015, 10:54 PM

Anyone planning to give it another shot this weekend? I was gonna go tomorrow but seems it will be kinda windy.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:15 AM
Banned

I haven't fisher Muir in a couple of years, but blood worm patterns under an indicator worked well there in the spring
Old 05-02-2015, 03:14 PM
Banned

Chironomids hands down missed 2 today had the indicator go under then tried to set the hook but I hesitated

Old 05-02-2015, 08:01 PM
Banned

Any of the vets on here have a hatch chart for muir?
Old 05-03-2015, 07:13 AM

Chris, were you fishing from shore? Just curious.

I've had mixed results on Muir as well, and found most of my fish came on chronies, but from my belly boat. I always use Rio's indicator line and anchor my boat, that stillness really helped me key in on takes I think. That article was bang on, the retrieves that worked for me were slower than slow. Just when you think you're slow enough? Slow it down some more.

I'm just like you man, been at it for a couple years now. ive had some really frustrating days, and I still get beat a lot, but I'm able to slow down now, take a breath and work with the data.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:37 AM

Actually i was in my pontoon and ive learned good control and casting (boy was that a struggle) but now what i gotta do is learn the proper ways to fish certain flys i almost gauruntee im to eager and retrieve to fast and before i should ..itll all come with experience i guess and as for chrominids im shamed to admit ive never really givin em a day in court so once its not so busy ill give her another go and keep at it till i start to catch thx for the tips guys i need some strike indicators now cuz i lost my main bag with my floatant.. tippets ...and my indicators and spare leaders lol thats what a 10 km hike down the stauffer will do to a guy lol tight lines
Old 05-03-2015, 03:38 PM

Save you a ton of time if you buy yourself a set (2, 5-10lb lead anchors, down rigger balls, hell even dumbells work good, but pyramids are the best) of anchors with or without anchor pulleys (scotty anchor locks with scotty rail mounts work good on pontoons, rig them on your pontoon, one at the front, one at the back, and fish chironomids 1' off the bottom. Pretty well anywhere in the lake.

It really is that easy.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:25 PM

Yup, fish Chrom's bout a ft off bottom & have fun watching your indicator twitch. Was out today 8-4, the hatch seemed to start coming up bout 11 & then the fish went nuts for a few hrs. Awesome day, missed a bunch but boated 3 Browns & 12 Bows. 2 were 22" hogs that were 5" deep. Pushing 3 1/2lbs easy! The average size was near 18". Great day on the water!!
Old 05-04-2015, 09:43 PM

Sorry for the newbie question (still fairly new to the sport), but does anyone have a good, low-tech way to figure out depth? I.e. how do I know I'm a foot of the bottom if I'm fishing Chroms? I'm fishing from a float tube, if that makes a difference.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:47 PM

You don't need to get it one foot off the bottom. Start at the bottom and very slowly raise the hook all the way to the surface. You cant go slow enough slow.... If you are getting hits at any level that is where you need to be. Stick your rod tip down if that's all you can figure out. Just get the hook to the Bottom and then super duper slowly lol, raise it to the top and try again until you hook up. It does work.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:48 AM

I carry a 1/8oz bell weight to find bottom. I use a swivel and put it on the hook and drop to bottom. Once their I pull it up 6 to 8 inches set my indicator their pull the line out of the water and take the wheight off. I also use a 2 cronimid set up. One about a foot higher then ther other. I still fish this with a slight breez on the water. It works well.

Gordon
Old 05-07-2015, 12:43 PM

Big thank you to the person who shut my door and locked my truck this morning. I was half asleep and too excited to get on the water I guess.

Slow day for me though, two landed in just over three hours. But, first day out this year and I don't smell skunky!
Old 05-07-2015, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the tips, lannie and Gbuss. Appreciate it!