Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-09-2015, 09:40 PM

Default Quick stop at McLean pond

Well went out to Bragg creek and a walk at the falls with the family and then a picnic at McLean pond. Quite a lovely day so I decided to throw a few flies and man did it produce. An hour of fishing and pulled 11 and lost a lot more. It was my first time on that pond and I have to say it would be my favorite as far as ponds go. Maybe just a fluke day. How do the rest of you find it? Has anyone ever fished the creek? I would like to give it a go next time I'm out that way.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:53 PM

Default Mclean creek

I have fished the creek a few times. Small fish but fun. Pretty sure its closed until June 16th though.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:04 PM

No, the pond is open all year with a trout limit of 5! You are correct re: the creek regs!

It'll get fished out soon though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4bowhunter View Post
I have fished the creek a few times. Small fish but fun. Pretty sure its closed until June 16th though.

-Confucius
Old 05-09-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
Well went out to Bragg creek and a walk at the falls with the family and then a picnic at McLean pond. Quite a lovely day so I decided to throw a few flies and man did it produce. An hour of fishing and pulled 11 and lost a lot more. It was my first time on that pond and I have to say it would be my favorite as far as ponds go. Maybe just a fluke day. How do the rest of you find it? Has anyone ever fished the creek? I would like to give it a go next time I'm out that way.
she's stocked already?
Old 05-10-2015, 12:29 AM

Sounds great! I haven't been to Mclean yet, any tips on location or lures/flies? I'd like to check it out Sunday afternoon...
Old 05-10-2015, 12:34 AM

Smile

My son fishes there every year. He always said that small black wooly buggers work well. About size 12. The reason I know that fly is the one that works is every time he goes all my small black wooly buggers are missing from my fly box.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:33 AM

after may long the fishing will slow right down, people fish it out fairly quick. You'll see an army of bait fishers line the shores every weekend.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 05-10-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutTracker View Post
Sounds great! I haven't been to Mclean yet, any tips on location or lures/flies? I'd like to check it out Sunday afternoon...
Well yesterday they they were eating chironomid emergers which I didn't have any emerged paterns so I tied regular ones onto a small dry a couple inches down and they were hammering them. At first I thought they were eating dries because they would break the surface but they wouldn't take any dry I gave them and I was watching stuff on the water and they wouldn't touch it so that's when I rigged up my emerged set up
Old 05-14-2015, 03:48 PM

I was there on the 10th and didnt catch a thing. Tried leech patterns, dry flies, SJ worms, hopper dropper. The people next to me were using shrimp and corn and caught about 10 within an hour, I tried focusing on figuring out what they were eating as they were jumping like crazy.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1move View Post
I was there on the 10th and didnt catch a thing. Tried leech patterns, dry flies, SJ worms, hopper dropper. The people next to me were using shrimp and corn and caught about 10 within an hour, I tried focusing on figuring out what they were eating as they were jumping like crazy.
i think it'll be fished out soon, or until its restocked
Old 05-14-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1move View Post
Try chironomids just a couple inches below the surface if they are rising and not taking your dry