Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-10-2016, 09:07 PM

Default NSR goldeye?

Was out sturgeon fishing for the first time last week, and didn't catch even one goldeye. Usually they are a nuisance, because they are constantly stealing bait or getting hooked. How has the goldeye fishing been in your neck of the woods? Just wondering. We did catch a mooneye that day though. Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:25 PM

The goldeye fishing has been tough for me. I usually target sturgeon but because of a tournament I am in I usually spend some time trying to catch goldeye too and I have only caught 25(in well over a dozen trips) and almost half of those came in one good day.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:56 PM

Default Goldeye--nsr/rdr

nsr been slow for goldeye only had one good day caught 10+. Picked up a couple mooneye the other day. Was goldeye fishing around Joffre tonight usually good but low and weed infested. Seen a few jumping in late evening but out of casting range. I hear it's weed infested to the dam.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:15 PM

Default NSR goldeye?

I know what you guys mean. Usually they are a cince to catch this time of year. Maybe the big schools haven't migrated through yet? They just don't seem to be around like other years.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:54 AM

Yeah this year my bro and I combined have managed only 5 on 5 trips. Most were on streamers, but last outing my bro caught one on a sturgeon rig.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:03 AM

I caught about 50 or so between May and June. Slowed down a bit after the run off. But as of late, nothing my last few times out. In one of usual spots, they were a plenty for awhile, was catching 7 or 8 a day, big ones too. Last few times I was there, nothing at all.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:21 AM

Probably on way back to codette lake already.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:43 AM

I find they are still around - cant say better or worse than last year but just caught some off my flyrod on Sunday - I did notice the water is dirty now in the Edmonton are if that has anything to do with it.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:32 AM

Default Goldeye

I have never caught a Goldeye. What is the most common method? Is it with a fly rod, or can they be caught with a bait on a rig.
Are there some areas on the river better than others? I have fished the river often and in a few different areas, and never seen anybody catch one.
Caught only pike and walleye.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post
I have never caught a Goldeye. What is the most common method? Is it with a fly rod, or can they be caught with a bait on a rig.
Are there some areas on the river better than others? I have fished the river often and in a few different areas, and never seen anybody catch one.
Caught only pike and walleye.
Fly rod, tiny spoons, spinners work well in clear water, pickeral rig with a worm works well in dirtier water.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:53 AM

How have the goldeye/Mooneye been for the AO people these days? I've been out near Devon a few times since I last posted and I haven't seen many rising fish. I that doesn't mean they aren't there, but usually this time of year and with all the hatches I usually see them rise all the time.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:07 PM

I use spinners on a 6ft ultralite rod thats probably equivalent to about a 5 wt flyrod or maybe slightly lighter i think.
Make sure you dont let the spinner sink much,or you'll lose it in the weeds that are real bad in river right now. Bit too murky for decent fishing unless you bait fish.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
I use spinners on a 6ft ultralite rod thats probably equivalent to about a 5 wt flyrod or maybe slightly lighter i think.
Make sure you dont let the spinner sink much,or you'll lose it in the weeds that are real bad in river right now. Bit too murky for decent fishing unless you bait fish.
I've done well with walleye on the fly in the last little bit here. The goldeye are just weary.