Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-08-2015, 01:04 AM

Default How is the bow fishing?

Hi all,

I know you have to be downstream of the weir.... But how is the bow fishing right now? Wanting to get out soon, at Glenmore and heritage, or down further where deer foot crosses... Anyone wanting to get out soon?
Old 05-08-2015, 06:13 AM

It was pretty tough yesterday. No luck not even whites water visability was pretty low. Water was pretty chalky
Old 05-08-2015, 08:58 AM

Was out on Tuesday and fished for 7 hours, tried 3 completely different zones and only had 1 hit. It was tough, and with the rain/snow last night it could be even tougher this weekend.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:27 AM

This past week has not been good on the Bow. We drifted the Fish Creek section on Tuesday and Thursday night. Tried all different techniques and flies. No fish. No bites. Water was slightly off color but very fishable. Looked like perfect streamer fishing water. Total of 10 rod hours on the water and nothing!! Anyone with any suggestions???
Old 05-08-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreid View Post
This past week has not been good on the Bow. We drifted the Fish Creek section on Tuesday and Thursday night. Tried all different techniques and flies. No fish. No bites. Water was slightly off color but very fishable. Looked like perfect streamer fishing water. Total of 10 rod hours on the water and nothing!! Anyone with any suggestions???
It has been tough lately all my fish have been caught tight to the banks both bows and browns
Old 05-08-2015, 09:53 PM

Out all day Thursday and only two wee ones
Old 05-09-2015, 05:22 AM

The rainbows are probably still in the highwood and the browns are down here.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:30 PM

Pretty slow. Couple suckers couple walleye one pike and one dino so far today

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-10-2015, 12:14 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Pretty slow. Couple suckers couple walleye one pike and one dino so far today
What sort of fly did you catch the sturgeon on, wisenheimer?
Elkhair caddis???
Old 05-10-2015, 12:39 AM

I usually find black or dark brown wooly buggers or cone head Bow River Buggers work well when the water is colored up. Also when it's colored up be sure to fish the banks. If your fishing from shore be sure to make the casts along shore before even stepping into the river.

I am heading out for a float trip tomorrow morning. I'll post later tomorrow evening how the float went.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:57 PM

Early last week to this week the water has changed quite a bit. Before that I was having great successful wading. Hooking fish every time out. The water flow came up and brought lots of debris. I have never had to clean my hooks off so much as early to mid last week. Just makes me want to stay home on those days.

The water flow seems to have gone down a little the past few days compared to what it was early last week. Haven't ventured out yet since but if it stays where it is for a few days it might come back.

Runoff is going to be be different this year. There is still enough snow at elevation to flow down but if ti doesn't melt fast or they do not dump a bunch into the basin it may not be a typical runoff.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwelds191 View Post
Hi all,

I know you have to be downstream of the weir.... But how is the bow fishing right now? Wanting to get out soon, at Glenmore and heritage, or down further where deer foot crosses... Anyone wanting to get out soon?
Thought you were talking about shooting fish with an arrow.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:56 AM

Went for a float from Police to Mac on Sunday (mothers day) with myself and two very experienced Bow River fishermen. Two of us hooked up and lost one fish. The third guy hooked 3 but we didn't land one. I tried smacking the bank with large Bow River buggers, and half a dozen other large flies. Nothing was taking them so I switched to nymphs. The few we did get to hit were on pheasant tails or copper john's. Pretty slow. We won't go back on the flow now for a while. Not that you can't catch fish now. But it was a challenging day.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:52 PM

Walked for three hours today, landed two. A bow and a brown, smaller fish then I normally get. Good small hatch of BWO's around noon and a few fish rising. Didn't get any on the dry.

Wind came up a little but a nice little short walk. The water is decently clear.

So there are fish out there. Fished better today then this time last week.