Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-10-2015, 09:39 PM

Default Casting big flies

Hello, looking for advices on how to safely cast big flies or streamers. on a few occasions that tried, well it was quite dangerous to me and folks around. did some reading, and is the double haul cast the best way to go about casting these flies safely? any tips is welcome. I will be using a 8wt
Old 05-10-2015, 09:46 PM

Start with short casts. Practice lots and wear glasses. I like to cast in a small circle so the fly is coming back further from my face than it does come by the back off head if that makes sense. Also prevents the fly from snagging on the line as it loops.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:48 PM

Also if you're really struggling start with smaller flies just at the top of your range being able to handle and slowly work your way to bigger ones
Old 05-10-2015, 10:04 PM

3 words...

Chuck and Duck!

-Confucius
Old 05-10-2015, 10:21 PM

went out practising to the field across the house this evening, with no flies on the leader still managed to get hit a few times, I was practising the double haul cast. with a few more practices, i will tie a small streamer and wear face shield!. thanks
Old 05-10-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
3 words...

Chuck and Duck!
No kidding! i will take a dive next time it swings my way!
Old 05-10-2015, 10:34 PM
Banned

Start small
work ur way up
proper rod and line with good casting technique is key

practicing on ground is a good idea
Old 05-11-2015, 12:15 AM

Most important thing to do as you tie on larger flies is to shorten the leader.
All your self inflicted wounds will hopefully come to a grinding halt if you have proper length and for larger predators presentation is a much less important. Boiling the water brings many in to check whats on the menu. If the fly has a large amount of parasitic drag...get it wet and make it slippery. You should be able to cast the larger fly as far as the smaller fly if your gear is selected after the fly is chosen. This is why you actually pick the rod and line weight you are going to use after you have decided the types and sizes of flies you will be offering.

Try using a 24"-30" piece of Mono for a leader and try casting. It should solve your problems. You do not need any tapered leader at all. Once your are back to casting properly get on your double haul. If you do so before you are casting in a controlled manner the double haul will just double your trouble.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Most important thing to do as you tie on larger flies is to shorten the leader.
All your self inflicted wounds will hopefully come to a grinding halt if you have proper length and for larger predators presentation is a much less important. Boiling the water brings many in to check whats on the menu. If the fly has a large amount of parasitic drag...get it wet and make it slippery. You should be able to cast the larger fly as far as the smaller fly if your gear is selected after the fly is chosen. This is why you actually pick the rod and line weight you are going to use after you have decided the types and sizes of flies you will be offering.

Try using a 24"-30" piece of Mono for a leader and try casting. It should solve your problems. You do not need any tapered leader at all. Once your are back to casting properly get on your double haul. If you do so before you are casting in a controlled manner the double haul will just double your trouble.
Very, very good advise. A shorter leader will help immensely, I've had my hat taken off a few times before I learned this info.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:02 AM

Slow down your cast a bit. Open up your loops. I find big streamers and high line speed don't go well together.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdirt View Post
Slow down your cast a bit. Open up your loops. I find big streamers and high line speed don't go well together.

With respect- Keep the loops tight and the only reason for a double haul is to increase line speed and it is exactly what you need for larger streamers. Again its all easy with the short leader.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:48 AM

Practice is all it is you just need to get the feel for it. You need to get the feel for when to load up your rod and apply a little force.

1 bit of advice cant your rod to the side to keep the fly away from your body overhead casting with big heavy flies leads to you hooking your self more than hooking fish lol.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:12 AM

Learning to cast with the rod angled away from you, and moving the rod in a straight line, will help immensely. Gets the fly out away from you, and saves you and the rod. It takes a while to figure out the timing and movement, and a good bit of practice, but, it is worth it. Much safer for other people in the boat as well.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:23 AM

Learn how to single-hand spey cast. Check out youtube.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:09 PM

Always put something on the leader or mono when practice casting I use a tuft of yarn stops it from snapping and helps offer some resistance. As for big streamers practice with the same amount of weight and material. This is the very best way to learn, opening up the cast helps to keep it away from your body. Watch salt water casters they hardly ever keep there elbow tucked in like we do on trout streams. Its big and looks ungainly but it how its done.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:27 PM

Tons great informations here, greatly appreciated! I Will make it out to the field again this evening and put them to use!
Old 05-12-2015, 09:00 AM
Banned

Get a two handed rod.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bron View Post
Get a two handed rod.
Not needed but some do enjoy two handers.

I personally have no issue tossing very large streamers with a single hand. Been know to toss flies in the 10 inch range that could be tossed with a spinning rod do to their weight. The flies I used for lingcod on the West coast many would say could not be thrown with a single hand.

It is all about practice not always pretty or easy but it can be done.

Switching to a 2 hander is just switching gear and casting styles. You still need to learn how to use it to become effective with it.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:55 AM

Default Some salt casts

This fellow who some guys will recognize is an excellent caster who has a lifetime of windy experience and it is very windy while is he casting. Great views of salt casting with arm positioning, clear double hauls and some left and right handed casting. 9 wt outfit if anyone is wondering.
hope my links works....
Try double hauling with your other arm..... This guy can take it to the backing without the wind on both sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQI5JzLKwXI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XSQYNbLvRs
Old 05-12-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
This fellow who some guys will recognize is an excellent caster who has a lifetime of windy experience and it is very windy while is he casting. Great views of salt casting with arm positioning, clear double hauls and some left and right handed casting. 9 wt outfit if anyone is wondering.
hope my links works....
Try double hauling with your other arm..... This guy can take it to the backing without the wind on both sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQI5JzLKwXI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XSQYNbLvRs
Good clips

I am horrible with the names of casting styles but that is how I do it just not as pretty
Old 05-12-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_manix View Post
Hello, looking for advices on how to safely cast big flies or streamers. on a few occasions that tried, well it was quite dangerous to me and folks around. did some reading, and is the double haul cast the best way to go about casting these flies safely? any tips is welcome. I will be using a 8wt
Pinch your barbs. I'm just sayin'.....