Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-10-2015, 09:55 PM

Default Beginner Ice fishing rig

After many seasons of hoping and planning I have decided that this is the year I'm going to learn to ice fish- I have one of those use anywhere $100 visa gift cards to burn up before the expiry date, any ideas on a good all around rod and reel and some line? I'm thinking a light-medium rig, would probably go after perch mostly but I'd still like to target some middlin' fish given the opportunity. I tried to look at the fishing hole website but couldn't find an ice fishing section, thought I would consult the wisdom of the forum
Old 11-10-2015, 10:12 PM

My favorite go to rig is a 28" frabill bro series quick tip combo. The reel is decent and the rod is really good. I use it for perch.trout. and even landed a 10+lbs walleye on it last year.

If you have $100 and can find them maybe try to get the quick tip 24" and 28"combos and then buy some 6 or 8lbs suffix 832 braid and you have a nice set of rods.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:15 PM

Here is the fishin hole's ice fishing section:
http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...ucts.get&dt=07

Personally I like the St. Croix Premier ice rods and Power Pro Ice line. The reel is personal preference. I like Shimano but Penn and Pfleuger are good choices as well.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 11-10-2015, 10:19 PM

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...ucts.get&dt=07

the ice fishing section at the fishing hole is on the left side of the main page. i personally would say see if you can find a used hand auger and either get the blades sharpened by someone with experience or buy new blades. a new hand auger may run $50 or more depending on brand.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:28 PM

St Croix is definitely a great rod. Reel is personal preference. Try to pick up at least one Marmish. Great for finicky perch and trout and use light line.

The Marmish took some getting use to but I really like it.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:28 PM

Man I don't know why I had such a hard time finding that. Thanks for the replies guys, just checking out the Frabill and St. Croix rods right now, hey good point about new blades for the auger I have an older one in my shed somewhere it would be good to get the blade replaced. Much appreciated

For an all around rod would you fellows suggest a light or medium action?
Old 11-10-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishunter77 View Post
St Croix is definitely a great rod. Reel is personal preference. Try to pick up at least one Marmish. Great for finicky perch and trout and use light line.

The Marmish took some getting use to but I really like it.
I had to watch a video to see one in action- those are bizarre but they look like they do the job! Thanks!
Old 11-10-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
Man I don't know why I had such a hard time finding that. Thanks for the replies guys, just checking out the Frabill and St. Croix rods right now, hey good point about new blades for the auger I have an older one in my shed somewhere it would be good to get the blade replaced. Much appreciated

For an all around rod would you fellows suggest a light or medium action?
If your fishing strictly perch and trout then a light action should be ok. If your targeting pike and walleye then get a medium action.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 11-10-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
If your fishing strictly perch and trout then a light action should be ok. If your targeting pike and walleye then get a medium action.
Ahhh, okay, is there anything that distinguishes an ice fishing reel from a 'regular' one? Or am I good picking up any old one that will match the action of the rod?
Old 11-10-2015, 11:58 PM

Ice fishing reels are smaller than regular reels. I have tried different kinds and don't have a favorite. They all do the job well. You will get less line on the ice fishing reel but usually you will be fishing shallower then summer unless going for lake trout.

I usually carry 5-7 rods and 4 marmish rods with my go to lures. It is fast and easy to try different setups. I also used Jawjackers for trout, walleye and pike. Buy at least one. They are great. You will have to experiment with the sensitivity. Brandonkop has some great videos that have helped me.

It is also beneficial to have a few fisherman with you to try different baits, lures and techniques to see what is working. The last few winters I prefer to go by myself just for peace and quite.

If anyone is looking for an ice fishing partner PM me. I have 35 years experience and love fishing and will help out with everything.

Also looking for new waterfowl hunting buddies. My dad is too old and my brother has lost interest.

Some of the lakes that I fished the Jawjackers outperformed using a rod.
Watch brandonkops you tube on the Jawjackers. Great video it helped me.

That Visa credit will soon be gone when you spend close to $1000.00 once you really get into ice fishing.

Sonar helps, I also bought an Electric power auger that works great.

Good luck and have fun
Old 11-11-2015, 12:23 AM

Haha oh man, our outdoor hobbies are selfish lovers eh- taking all our time and money, thanks fish hunter, I sure appreciate you guys taking the time to answer my newbie questions. I hate to bug you with more questions but I'm on the marmish website right now- I have the basic rod, maggot #1, larva #1, and larva #2 lures, looking at perch small trout and whitefish, are those alright? Now I'm looking at another bite indicator- what sensitivity is the stock one? Should I even bother getting another one?
Old 11-11-2015, 12:40 AM

No, just use the stock one. I usually start the bite indicator in the middle. If the fish are finicky they will just try a light bite. You will be able to see your indicator just twitch slightly. Adjust if necessary. It will take a few trips to get it just right. I still love the Marmish because I can see the most sensitive bite.

Some times they come and hit it hard out of no where. That is when the bite is on. It may last 10 minutes to one hour where you just want to get your lure out to rebait and get it in the hole to the bottom and wait for the next hit. This is where a sonar or flasher works well because the fish may be feeding above or below your lure.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:41 AM

I'll throw my two cents in, I just use those ice fishing rod combos from Canadian tire. They're 20 or 30 bucks. I've had two for about 7-8 years now and have pulled in a lot of fish with them. Trout, pike, walleye. i like putting "good" line on them each year(by good I mean it's a little more than the cheap stuff lol), and spend a fortune in new lures. I've used triline the last while and it works well. I hang a little bell on the tip of my rod when I'm doing other things in my hut. I know I don't have the pricey gear but I catch fish. I used a hand auger until a couple of seasons ago when I picked up one of those ion electric augers. That thing is amazing enjoy the season!
Old 11-11-2015, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedCaper View Post
I'll throw my two cents in, I just use those ice fishing rod combos from Canadian tire. They're 20 or 30 bucks. I've had two for about 7-8 years now and have pulled in a lot of fish with them. Trout, pike, walleye. i like putting "good" line on them each year(by good I mean it's a little more than the cheap stuff lol), and spend a fortune in new lures. I've used triline the last while and it works well. I hang a little bell on the tip of my rod when I'm doing other things in my hut. I know I don't have the pricey gear but I catch fish. I used a hand auger until a couple of seasons ago when I picked up one of those ion electric augers. That thing is amazing enjoy the season!
Great suggestions. Make sure you change the line on any reel you may have purchased.

I have an electric Ion as well. Great machine. I had hand auger for 20 years and spare set of blades. Early ice is great, but get into Feb. and 4 holes is a chore.

You don't need much to get started. I started with a spool of line in my hand and maybe 10 lures with a 4 inch hand auger.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:04 AM

Thanks so much guys, having all this info is huge for me, I feel ready to take on the season now- best of luck to you and hope you have a great time out there this winter. I like that Berkeley triline stuff too for open water pike, I'll be sure to pick up another spool, I'm in the Central/Edmonton area so might see you guys around sometime haha, thanks again!
Old 11-11-2015, 10:29 AM
Banned

I will hunt waterfowl with you if you want.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishunter77 View Post
Ice fishing reels are smaller than regular reels. I have tried different kinds and don't have a favorite. They all do the job well. You will get less line on the ice fishing reel but usually you will be fishing shallower then summer unless going for lake trout.

I usually carry 5-7 rods and 4 marmish rods with my go to lures. It is fast and easy to try different setups. I also used Jawjackers for trout, walleye and pike. Buy at least one. They are great. You will have to experiment with the sensitivity. Brandonkop has some great videos that have helped me.

It is also beneficial to have a few fisherman with you to try different baits, lures and techniques to see what is working. The last few winters I prefer to go by myself just for peace and quite.

If anyone is looking for an ice fishing partner PM me. I have 35 years experience and love fishing and will help out with everything.

Also looking for new waterfowl hunting buddies. My dad is too old and my brother has lost interest.

Some of the lakes that I fished the Jawjackers outperformed using a rod.
Watch brandonkops you tube on the Jawjackers. Great video it helped me.

That Visa credit will soon be gone when you spend close to $1000.00 once you really get into ice fishing.

Sonar helps, I also bought an Electric power auger that works great.

Good luck and have fun
Old 11-16-2015, 09:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
After many seasons of hoping and planning I have decided that this is the year I'm going to learn to ice fish- I have one of those use anywhere $100 visa gift cards to burn up before the expiry date, any ideas on a good all around rod and reel and some line? I'm thinking a light-medium rig, would probably go after perch mostly but I'd still like to target some middlin' fish given the opportunity. I tried to look at the fishing hole website but couldn't find an ice fishing section, thought I would consult the wisdom of the forum
Dont discount holding a line in your bare hand, and moving slowly till you feel the tiniest resistance or bite. Agressiveness varies. Sometimes they just 'mouth it', sometimes they dont hesitate. For perch, maggots or shrimp on a bare hook around weed beds are as good as anything ive tried.

Dont drive near weedbeds, inlets, pressure ridges.

Last edited by drhu22; 11-16-2015 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:58 PM

My favorite Reels .....

Mid Priced ......

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Claw-Lin...9VY4DTKG7BD8M7

Cheap but surprisingly very good .....

http://www.frabill.com/ice-fishing/i...-line-133.html

Pricey but smoooooooth ....

http://www.amazon.com/Frabill-Straig...A6F0KT8W75PQWV

My Favorite Rods .....

Light .... medium priced

http://www.amazon.com/Croix-Legend-S...ce+fishing+rod

All Powers and Actions ....... good price

http://www.amazon.com/St-Croix-Premi...RP4TZ89NAG6HFX

As you can tell I have a strong preference for center pin type reels and rods with a real stable and positive reel seat to secure the reel to it.

I do have the typical spinning reels, bait casters etc.... but I keep reaching for the center pins.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:38 PM

uglystik combos with better quality line

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-20-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
My favorite Reels .....
As you can tell I have a strong preference for center pin type reels and rods with a real stable and positive reel seat to secure the reel to it.

I do have the typical spinning reels, bait casters etc.... but I keep reaching for the center pins.
Do you use your center pins in the summer time as well?
Old 11-20-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
My favorite Reels .....

Mid Priced ......

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Claw-Lin...9VY4DTKG7BD8M7

Cheap but surprisingly very good .....

http://www.frabill.com/ice-fishing/i...-line-133.html

Pricey but smoooooooth ....

http://www.amazon.com/Frabill-Straig...A6F0KT8W75PQWV

My Favorite Rods .....

Light .... medium priced

http://www.amazon.com/Croix-Legend-S...ce+fishing+rod

All Powers and Actions ....... good price

http://www.amazon.com/St-Croix-Premi...RP4TZ89NAG6HFX

the Frabiil one looks ok, if it fits an uglystik I may give one a go. I did try a mooching reel but it cost me a nice pike when a loop of line went over the handle at full speed, ever have that happen with a centerpin reel?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-20-2015, 05:52 PM

I would get a medium power rod if you are on a budget. Medium power you can catch anything and everything from perch to trout to pike.

For brands I have a fenwick and st croix rods that I like. Spend the bit more money to get a decent rod, the cheaper ones won't last and I for one can't stand any rod that doesn't have a proper reel seat.

Some people use dedicated ice fishing reels but I just switch over my summer ones and they work fine. Regular powerpro on the other hand does not work well in the winter as it loads up with water that freezes, there are a variety of ice lines but I will be using powerpro ice-tec line that is supposed to shed water better then most.

For lures all you really need are jig heads and your choice of bait. We take all sorts of stuff but usually just end up using a jig head with bait lol.

Used hand auger for cheap might seem like a good deal but if you buy one plan on replacing the blades as they will probably be crap. By the time you do that you will be close to the value of a new hand auger(can be had for 60-65 bucks).

Although it is possible to ice fish on the cheap and just go sit on a 5 gallon bucket with a hand auger and cheap rod etc I personally don't enjoy that. With a tent, heater, camera or flasher and all the toys ice fishing becomes much more enjoyable although it will cost more to get. One of the best ways to try and get into ice fishing is find a decent used ice fishing setup, sometimes you can save half the price of new doing this.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:02 PM

He beauty of ice fishing is that you don't need much to get started. I fished many years with a five gallon pail, hole scoop, old jiffy auger, and a bunch of sticks with two drywall screws to wrap the cheap trilene around. Use the same hooks you use in the summer and go get 'em. If you find you like it, start spending the money. By then you should know what species you like going for (determines rods and lures, and electronics to a lesser extent) and what style you like (sit in one place or run and gun) which helps determine if you want a tent and what style.

Of course, ice fishing can get as expensive and gear driven as you want it to be. My suggestion is to find a good auger, a decent rod with good line, a few hooks for the species you want and go have some fun. Add stuff as you figure out if you like it and what you want to go for/how you want to go for it.

SS
Old 11-21-2015, 01:37 AM

A cheaper alternative to rods with strike indicators is to use a bobber.

I've found that there is a lot less guess work with a bobber. you're basically still fishing with no wind in the hole so if your bobber moves, even the slightest, something down below made it move.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro

Tags
beginner, ice fishing