Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-08-2016, 09:43 AM

Default Chain Lakes review & Spray Lakes Ice Fishing - New to the game

hey guys - first time poster so I am wanting to say hi, and thanks for all of the valuable information over the years of me creeping the forum. I have slowly been getting into fishing over the past 2 years (as i can slowly acquire the required gear HAHA)...

Anyways - I went out to Chain Lakes fishing last 2 weekends over the holidays and can provide some feedback...

Ice - 14-16" thick - but be careful, lots of idiots will drive 2ft from your tent cruising across the lake - it gets busy..
Fish - Caught 6 trout each time - most were 10-12" 50/50 split of farm trout vs lake trout.. either way just catching fish is a blast.
Depth - 12-15FOW
Lure - small jig yellow/green with velvetta/salmon egg/shrimp/worms.. the cheese was by far the best - thanks for the advice.
Location - i was about 50ft off to the left from the boat launch and 50 ft out from the shore..

This is a great place for family fishing - great to see everyone out enjoying fishing in the winter!

I am off to Spray Lakes this weekend and as someone new to the game (without a fish finder/camera) I am desperatly looking for some tips..

Location - from reading it looks like driftwood/sparrowhawk are good
Time - were gonna be trying for lines in water by 730 (an early rise driving from Calgary)

Can anyone help me out with setups for lures/depth?? I am impartial to what exactly i want to catch.. i am more of a catch and release kind of guy personally... just like to go out and have some fun.

Ill be out there Saturday morning - beige snowpants and a bright orange winter touque - come say hi...
Old 01-08-2016, 10:00 AM

Welcome to AO nice first post but am wondering how you figure you caught lakers in Chain.

You sure those were not bullies?
Old 01-08-2016, 10:09 AM

My fiancees family has a house in canmore so over the years I have done a lot of research on spray and spend the week between xmas and new years fishing it... What I have found is that if you do not yet have a flasher or something of the sort, the best bet is to find water anywhere from 50-100ft and fish the bottom. before I had a flasher i would rig a green jig head with a smelt. Rip the head off the smelt and thread it on the jig head as you would a rubber grub body. I would fish that rod dead stick 6 inches off the bottom. I would have another rod with a small to medium sized spoon and put either the smelt head or a smelt tail on it and work the spoon in the bottom 5 ft of the water column.

Lots will tell you to use buzz bombs or tube jigs but these are the setups i have had the most success with.

*** Remember to read the regs and understand the bait restrictions!!! NO BAIT FISH! Smelts are okay as they are not considered bait fish.***

Spray can be fun when its on! Lots of small ones but I have hooked into the odd 5-6 lber. Its nothing like cold lake but fun as hell and the fish are just as tasty.

Have fun and dont forget to post your results/ Pics!!!!
Old 01-08-2016, 10:12 AM

I'm sure there will be much more experienced folk to chime in, but I'm headed to Spray this weekend as well, so I'm happy to share how I've been preparing.

I usually keep it simple - jigs with smelts, shiny spoons with smelts and white tube jigs. I don't fish with electronics (at least not yet) so I try to estimate how deep I am with a heavy lure and go from there. I plan to try a couple spots between 60-100 feet and see what happens.

I normally start on or near the bottom, bouncing bottom and then jigging a few feet up. If nothing happens, I'll move up the water column slowly - jigging and pausing until I find some action.

I'll be there Sunday, so leave some fish for me
Old 01-08-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Welcome to AO nice first post but am wondering how you figure you caught lakers in Chain.

I might be using the wrong terminology.. I guess what i meant was the different shape of the fins from Natural vs farmed trout.. does that make sense or am i off again?
Old 01-08-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post

Hopefully I attached the picture correctly..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4819.jpg (42.3 KB, 172 views)
Old 01-08-2016, 12:28 PM

All released trout in Chain but as in other lakes you do get different colours which is why you notice some more on the darker gray side.

Nice catch.

Tags
chain lake, ice fishing, spray lake