Old 05-21-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdep View Post
Haha but I wasn't keeping mine and I couldn't put him the ground
Old 05-21-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Too bad you don't live closer.

The other two are about living off the land. It's not just Mint that I harvest, there are a number of other plants I gather for the table. Lambs Quarters for example. They are better then Spinach and very easy to find and gather.
There is also Strawberry Blight, a great trail snack, Rose petals, makes a charming sweet tea, and others.
Fiddle Heads, Rat Root, ext.

We have stocked Trout here but I don't fish for them. I much prefer Pike and Walleye. I used to fish for Cuthroat Trout on the Ram River years ago and Rocky Mountain Whitefish and Grayling but these days I go for the best table fare.

I am thinking of trying for Perch. I know a Lake that is supposed to have lots of them and I do fish it. Very few people even know this lake exists so there is next to no fishing pressure. It has tons of small Pike and apparently a ton of Perch.

Since the limit on Pike is only three, being able to catch Perch would be a great addition to a trip since it is a ways to drive. Two hours for me in fact.

I would be on that Lake tonight if it hadn't snowed, but the trail in is impassible in wet weather.
Awww yeah, it's poor weather this weekend
Old 05-21-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
Haha but I wasn't keeping mine and I couldn't put him the ground

I didn't keep that guy either, I recommend you go get a net today they give you whey more confidence when landing fish , I picked mine up from Walmart for $25 extendable handle ( made by lucky strike ) and it's pretty compact.
Good luck out there
Old 05-21-2016, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgsgw View Post
Okay guys , I'm flattered by alllllll of the messages I recieved ( the one from lost arrow was so dirty I had to take a shower after I read it) but I'm saving myself for Caitlin Jenner. Thanks for the interest though.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
L.O.S.T Arrow sending dirty PM's? Wouldn't have thunk it.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I didn't keep that guy either, I recommend you go get a net today they give you whey more confidence when landing fish , I picked mine up from Walmart for $25 extendable handle ( made by lucky strike ) and it's pretty compact.
Good luck out there
Sweet, thanks, I will definitely get a net! What's a safe amount of time a fish can be out of the water?
Old 05-21-2016, 12:28 PM

Gratz on the trout...as for having it out of the water- If you are releasing it, please keep it in the water,minimize the handling ( try a picture while in a wet net) and there are posts with proper handling techniques also. Enjoy the sport-the saying goes" There is more to fishing than fishing". Deep
Old 05-21-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Sweet, thanks, I will definitely get a net! What's a safe amount of time a fish can be out of the water?

I think of it like this , how long can you hold your breath under water?... Kinda the same for the fish out of water I think , and with trout try to wet your hand before handling to keep the fishes film intact...
Old 05-21-2016, 03:05 PM

My lady friend often comes fishing with me. She's not as crazy about it as me, but having another lady around would probably make her happy and maybe get her more into the sport. We're in Calgary.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I think of it like this , how long can you hold your breath under water?... Kinda the same for the fish out of water I think , and with trout try to wet your hand before handling to keep the fishes film intact...
Thanks, that's good to know! I ended up getting a net, I'm ready for my next trip!
Old 05-22-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks, that's good to know! I ended up getting a net, I'm ready for my next trip!
What kind of net did you get? If it's not rubber I would be careful using it on pike. I made the mistake of using mine and while in there he did a nice death roll and got so tangled that it ruined the hooks and took me longer than it really should have to untangle the lure from the net.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
What kind of net did you get? If it's not rubber I would be careful using it on pike. I made the mistake of using mine and while in there he did a nice death roll and got so tangled that it ruined the hooks and took me longer than it really should have to untangle the lure from the net.
Oh that's good to know! I think it's rubber, it's not cloth or anything soft.

Oh another question, I've seen a lot of photos of people holding fish with their thumb or finger in the fishes mouth. Is that how you're suppose to hold them or is that only if you're going to keep the fish and not release it?
Old 05-22-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Oh that's good to know! I think it's rubber, it's not cloth or anything soft.

Oh another question, I've seen a lot of photos of people holding fish with their thumb or finger in the fishes mouth. Is that how you're suppose to hold them or is that only if you're going to keep the fish and not release it?
Really depends on the fish ... perch and bass can handle it and don't have the teeth that would do you damage. Walleye and pike you want to avoid at all costs ... but one look down that throat and you will figure that out quickly. Not sure if it was mentioned yet or not but if you intend on fishing for toothy fish you need a jaw spreader.

The good quality one with a bar on the top and bottom Jet recommended are at bass pro for 6.50. So I grab one of those before you have to try and Jerry rig something. On that note some half decent long pliers or other hook removal tool.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
Really depends on the fish ... perch and bass can handle it and don't have the teeth that would do you damage. Walleye and pike you want to avoid at all costs ... but one look down that throat and you will figure that out quickly. Not sure if it was mentioned yet or not but if you intend on fishing for toothy fish you need a jaw spreader.

The good quality one with a bar on the top and bottom Jet recommended are at bass pro for 6.50. So I grab one of those before you have to try and Jerry rig something. On that note some half decent long pliers or other hook removal tool.
Jaw spreader sounds very scary but I'll pick up a pair. I've got 2 types of pliers but now I'm wonder if they're long enough if I have to use a jaw spreader. Thanks for the tips! I'm actually hoping to go to wabamun in 2 weeks and I hear they have pike and walleye so this is good to know.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:09 PM

They are not very scary at all. Pike have a tendency to clamp their mouth shut tightly on a lure, pliers or your fingers once they are in their mouths. Slip the mouth spreader into their yap and it opens right up enabling you to remove the hook.
http://www.wholesalesports.com/store...Opener/p/29683
Old 05-23-2016, 06:56 PM

I too wish there were some ladies I could meet up with to go fishing with from time to time. I am up in Edmonton though. Even a fella to meet up with down at the NSR. When my bf and I go for picnics or camping I am always fishing and I get a ton of interest for conversations from random guys who see me fishing away. So I know many many guys would very much enjoy having a lady accompany them even for some shore fishing.

Some pointers though, try to get a variety of lures. Spoons, jig heads, jig tails, a buzz bait or two, top water baits for some fun, couple crankbaits, sinkers, bobbers/floats, and a pile of wire liters. That way you can have the chance to fish for basically anything anywhere you go. I am not well schooled in the fishing lingo for rod and reel combos so I too get the basic rod and reel combo just so I can go out and fish. But I am slowly learning, and learning that I cannot afford half the stuff people recommend lol. Banking on that lotto win

Another thing about pliers, I use needlenose pliers. I just prefer them because I can get that reach without having to stick my hand in the fishes mouth incase they swallow it good. And if you can find yourself a decent multitool, mine has pliers, scissors, files, different sized knives. I use it mainly for cutting minnows and worms in half but it is always on me when I am out. I also have a few pairs of nail clippers for cutting line once I am done tying to hooks. I grew up with my Dad always having a pair or two in the tackle box so now I just keep them handy. Easier than pulling the scissors out of the multitool each time.

Last edited by Astrocyte; 05-23-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:58 PM

Fly fishing, bait fishing, spin fishing im always happy to go fishing.. and im a girl close to calgary.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
They are not very scary at all. Pike have a tendency to clamp their mouth shut tightly on a lure, pliers or your fingers once they are in their mouths. Slip the mouth spreader into their yap and it opens right up enabling you to remove the hook.
http://www.wholesalesports.com/store...Opener/p/29683
Thanks! This store is a lot closer than bass pro, I will definitely check them out.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:17 PM

Thanks for the advice Astrocyte, my dad gave me a couple pliers including a needle nose one and these really tiny scissors to use. Nail clippers are smart, you don't jab yourself if they're in your pocket haha.

Sorry I don't know how to edit the post to quote you, I replied wrong!
Old 05-23-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
Fly fishing, bait fishing, spin fishing im always happy to go fishing.. and im a girl close to calgary.
Well we should go fishing
Old 05-24-2016, 04:21 PM

Me! I love fishing and in Calgary. PM me if you want.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:09 PM

My wife likes fishing too. Here she is with her 42 lb Ling Cod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0987_2.jpg (28.6 KB, 186 views)
Old 05-24-2016, 10:16 PM

Her with some nice Salmon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0833_3.jpg (50.2 KB, 158 views)
Old 05-24-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofinoguy View Post
Her with some nice Salmon
Oh wow, those fish are huge! That's actually so cool
Old 05-28-2016, 10:55 PM

Default Girl here

I am a female who LOVES fishing, by far my passion of life. I have a canoe and a boat. Of course I cant back my boat trailer up thought (Evidence of me being "that" girl) but I am a great fisher and would love to make some female fishing friends. I spin cast mostly but I have tried my hand with my fly rod. I also ice fish Give me a shout if ya wanna meet up.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:20 AM

My daughter loves to fish. She may have a little trouble keeping up though ��

Kamookis are one of her go to lures, she was angling for a sponsorship at the sportsman show.

"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 05-30-2016, 09:54 AM

whitefishlady is cool, shes a friend of mine and knows how to catch fish, (usually) Id take her up on her offer. if you ever feel like fishing for some real fish and dont mind a couple hour drive let me know

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-30-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
My daughter loves to fish. She may have a little trouble keeping up though ��

Kamookis are one of her go to lures, she was angling for a sponsorship at the sportsman show.

That is so adorable, I wish I had started fishing when I was that young!
Old 05-30-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
whitefishlady is cool, shes a friend of mine and knows how to catch fish, (usually) Id take her up on her offer. if you ever feel like fishing for some real fish and dont mind a couple hour drive let me know
Haha, don't worry I am taking her up on her offer, I sent her a private message immediately after she posted on here
Old 07-15-2016, 08:52 AM

I am just learning, but I am in Edmonton! I shore fish since I don't know anyone with a boat, but it would be nice to meet new people so I am not always going alone!! ha ha!
Old 07-15-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux604 View Post
I am just learning, but I am in Edmonton! I shore fish since I don't know anyone with a boat, but it would be nice to meet new people so I am not always going alone!! ha ha!

I'm originally from Edmonton and I go back usually once a month, I'll shoot you a message next time I'm in town and maybe we can go fishing

Tags
fishing