Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Banned

Default fishing for burbot

a few years ago....quite a few years ago, my wife and i went fishing on diefenbaker lake in saskatchewan. cudn't catch anything but a ton of ling cod, do we took them to a farmer's barn and fed them to the cats.....but the cats wudn't even eat them!

since then, i've hurd many times, that we ,missed a great op with one of the great eating ops. i decided that the next time i caught one, i'd eat it, but have never caught one since.

does anyone out there fish for them, and what can u say?

regards, gerry
Old 01-20-2009, 07:45 PM

You're likely to get a pile of answers on this one. Ling aren't all that hard to catch. They are serious predators and eat a great variety of items......hence they will bite most hooks if they find/notice them. That's not to say that they will bite everything all the time, but they are often very accomodating. The "best" (i.e. easiest - not necessarily best for the resource) time of year to catch ling (burbot) is in the late winter when they are spawning. This usually happens in Alberta/Sask. from about the end of February to the latter part of March. Of course there are variations to that time period (a bit earlier to a bit later) but in general terms, late Feb. and most of March is the best. They spawn in specific areas of lakes (and I suppose rivers, but don't know much about those locations for spawning ling) that are usually (in my experience) sandy bottom and not a lot of weeds. I suppose in some lakes it is different, and they will select areas best suited from what is available. They are very willing to bite at this time of year. Not so sure it is hunger or whether it is an agressive response to lures or baits in their spawning areas. Baits such as smelt, minnows, etc. are good suspended just off the bottom, and catch a lot of fish. Jigged lures of various sorts (Wetaskiwins, klunkers, lead head jigs with a minnow, etc, etc, work very welll also. Experiment regarding colors, but charteruse, yellow, green, white, etc. work well. You can also catch them on things as small as wire worms. If the ling doesn't see the wire worm, just touch it's body with the lure and the fish will often stop immediately & grope around with it's mouth until it finds the worm. Like any fish, there are times they will ignore your lure, but for the most part, they are cooperative. You will find them in various depth of water from about 4 - 5 feet down to 20+ feet. I'm sure they occur elsewhere, but these are the depths I usually fish and so I am more familiar with them there. As I said, you will likely get lots of answers and as many opinions as answers, and all will be good advice based on that particular persons experience. Don't be afraid to try them all. You will quckly develop your own favorite methods. Also, check with fishermen on the ice. Most are willing to help out and share their experiences. I've mentioned the spawning period, but you can catch them year round. Just get out & try different methods in different areas until you find them. They are widespread in most lakes.....I think. Good luck!
Old 01-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Shrubs

Burbot are great to eat and yes you did miss out. To bad you didn't just throw them back rather than wasting them.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:24 PM

is it true that burbot have really thick skin ... dont you have to peal it off?
Old 01-20-2009, 09:32 PM

more tough than thick , and yes I peel it off with pliers after I nail the head down with a spike . awsome meat
Old 01-20-2009, 10:17 PM

yeah i remember when i was a kid someone we were camping wit caught one...it had two small fish inside it ... really tasty meat though!
Old 01-20-2009, 11:09 PM

Use a 2x6 with a spike though it.Impale burbot by head cut around back of neck,then use VICE GRIPS and peel skin downwards like a sock.Fillet ,taking only meat and leaving ribs intact on carcase.Great eating fish...........Harold
Old 01-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Banned

thanks for the replies....if i can catch one, i'm going to eat it this time!
Old 01-21-2009, 11:31 PM
Banned

my first fish icefishing this year was a 30 inch burbot.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:17 AM

I have only been targeting Burbot for a couple of years, but I have found they bite best in the evening or morning and have heard that night fishing can be productive. As to eating I think they're one of the best.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:04 PM

Night time can be dynamite for Burbs!!
Old 01-23-2009, 02:14 PM

Default Days gone by

When I lived in Windermere for a winter the ling cod were awesome. The best fish and chips I ever had. Now in Windermere lake, it's catch and release for them. Another story of a species being overfished.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:26 PM

Default snake

Years ago a friend and myself were fishing south buck with no sucess tell a ling swam by my friend said i am going to catch that fish when I said dont and out the hole it came.Well i had to grab that slimer and once I did it wanted to wrap around my arm in the tussel trying to throw the dam thing out the tent i managed to trip upsetting the tent and darn near burning it down have always pulled away since