Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-25-2009, 03:21 PM

Default Well, is it Eden?

Of course you keep it a secret Italk2u! If everyone gets wind of it, there will be trespass access, or "invitational" access through one of the cabin owners, and in short course, the big ones are fished out, like what occurred in Hasse. These are small lakes, remember!

Anyways, good on you guys to show that there are still some good perch around. I do know that there has been some good perch just north of Edmonton by about 200 K, but with the advent of more and more walleye in our lakes, the perch are getting pretty thin lately.

Drewski
Old 02-25-2009, 03:54 PM

whoa, don't get your wind in a knot there, drewski.
i can tell you that security is very tight there and the home owners are extremely protective of their property.
Doubtful many, if any, outsiders could sneak in, and if they did, they'd be getting a real quick visit from the gendarmes.
Not worth the risk, believe me!
BTW there are lots of perch in there, but there's also some very large Koi put in by the owners several years ago.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:21 PM

Default A SCARY Alternate theory

If this is a shallow lake, this is about the time that winter kill starts occurring. I have seen it too many times before where the weeks before a bad winter kill the fishing takes off, apparently because the fish are attracted to the increased oxygen from the holes that the fishermen are cutting. the fish concentrate in the traditional fishing areas and are "easy pickins".

I get the feeling we are in for trouble again this year. Snow loads were heavy, and the ice did not get thick as it normally does. As such, we are not seeing the huge pressure ridges, which inadvertently exposes lots of water for oxygen exchange before it refreezes. The other problem of the ice not cracking due to relatively thin ice, is the dispersed oxygen exchanges that occur throughout a lake. yes, even a 1 inch crack over 100 yards will help.

When the fish congregate in areas of fishing pressure due to increased oxygen levels from the holes cut, you often will have "incredible fishing" for a couple of weeks before the lake winter kills. Next you see ling swimming mid way or even near the ice. Then its over for the fish in short order and you see dead fish on the bottom.

Hope I am wrong.

Drewski
Old 02-25-2009, 04:32 PM

Default Devils?

Hope their not from devils lake... would need a lot of cajun spice to cover up the sewage taste
Old 02-25-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
I do know that there has been some good perch just north of Edmonton by about 200 K, but with the advent of more and more walleye in our lakes, the perch are getting pretty thin lately.

Drewski
I think I know exactly what lake you're talking about,
but it's a secret spot and I cannot wait till I'll hit it this summer
Old 02-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Suspended User

Aww! You killed the Lake version of sea kitties.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:45 PM

Talking It Doent Even Matter

First Off Nice Catch Second I Fish Any Number Of Lakrs Around Some Days They Bite Some Days They Dont In My Mind I Have Been That Guy Bragging To Every One About My Catches Too Then Whent Back To The Same Spot On The GPS 2Days 2Weeks 2Months Later And Only 1or2Or None Its All Luck Of The Draw To Me Fact Did you Guys Know fish can Swim? Just Sayen Ill Bet Thoes Guys go Back To the UnNamed Lake And vMaybe Get A Few Next Time Stinky OutTTTTTTTTT
Old 02-25-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkynuts View Post
First Off Nice Catch Second I Fish Any Number Of Lakrs Around Some Days They Bite Some Days They Dont In My Mind I Have Been That Guy Bragging To Every One About My Catches Too Then Whent Back To The Same Spot On The GPS 2Days 2Weeks 2Months Later And Only 1or2Or None Its All Luck Of The Draw To Me Fact Did you Guys Know fish can Swim? Just Sayen Ill Bet Thoes Guys go Back To the UnNamed Lake And vMaybe Get A Few Next Time Stinky OutTTTTTTTTT
dang man whats with all the capital letters ????? lol
Old 02-26-2009, 01:26 AM

Default perch

Man I remember those kind of days on a regular basis for perch, no-one even wanted to mess around with them, how things have changed, awesome pix, thanks for making the rest of us jelious, and feel free to share your spot, hahaha!!!

Congrats!
Old 02-26-2009, 07:54 AM

I guess the new game is name that lake....lol
Old 02-26-2009, 08:00 AM

i didnt see any pictures outside of the shak and the beatuifull view....because thats all were here for anyway.lmao
Old 02-26-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
10 years ago that was a possible catch from Saint Anne. Dam Walleye.

I know makes me sad...... I have never caught a perch out of there I thought I did but.... according to my father he used to, says I never did and that he always threw em back.
He never ate a lot of fish really, especially after we ate some whites from Wab back in 92 and he lost his hair... Or was that 84 when I was born he went bald... Who knows. I was a kid then.

Anvil
Old 02-26-2009, 04:54 PM

I don't know if we can pry the location out of Gord this weekend but buy Deano a couple of drinks and he'll sing like a chickadee.
Doug
Old 02-26-2009, 05:24 PM

I am not a big drinker Dugh so that won't work. But Gord and I both like you and Ingrid and I guarantee we will tell you where we had our fun at. And as fae as my singing goes, it is far from a chickadee. A turkey or vulture is more like it.
See you this weekend. I have changed my mind and will come out Saturday, I just have to leave early for Muay Tai. But who knows, I may have to head back Sunday.

Deano
Old 02-26-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
See you this weekend. I have changed my mind and will come out Saturday, I just have to leave early for Muay Tai. But who knows, I may have to head back Sunday.

Deano
Alright! Good call man. See you Saturday.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Banned

lol nice catch i could care less man one man can never destroy a lake. But his 1000 of 1 time buddys could. But who knows he could just grabbed a picture off photobucket to try and get a certian person mad. He would'nt be the first one to do this either.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:08 AM

me and the old man were fishing lac la biche last weekend and we got 4 at the 14 inch mark and about a half dozen around the 12 inch mark none smaller than 10 inches. all in one day . both of us caught limits and the fish fry that night at the cabin was awesome. weve had that cabin on the lake since i was a little kid and since i ever remember that was the best perch ive ever seen.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:29 AM

Default For those who wanted to know

How come no one guessed Big Lake?

Coal Lake is rumoured to have some big perch in it....Just saying

Peace
Gord
Old 03-05-2009, 03:53 PM

I have a couple free hours tomorrow afternoon Gord. I think I am going to head out again. Let me know if your interested. I have to be home by 4:00 so I am thinking about heading out at noon.

Deano
Old 03-05-2009, 05:42 PM

Default conservation first, please

Have fun fellas, but keep in mind it takes plenty of years to grow perch to that size, the girls are full of eggs this time of year, and depending on how big that lake is you're fishing, you may have already harvested a goodly chunk of the adults.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:27 PM

Nice haul. never been perch fishin before but it seems I'd like to try it out now. anyone know if perch fishing in Pine lake is decent or anything near red deer?