Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-08-2019, 08:38 PM

Default Underwater Chironomid Attacks

Another New Underwater View of a Rainbow Trouts reaction to these barely visible tiny little flies that mimic chironomid during the spring and summer months of the year. Rainbow trout feast on these like they have never seen food before. I have watched the float disappear hard so many times and wondered what was exactly going on down there. How do the fish relate to these small presentations. Well this video was sure eye opening watching trout key in on the chironomid from several feet away and inhaling it. Then some would cruise in with interest and make a hard turn right before committing. So interesting to see. I have another video to make from footage I obtained the first time I tried this. I tied the fly to the GoPro with float back and let it drift. Within a few minutes I saw my GoPro vanish and not come back up. After 30 minutes I was sure I lost it. But heading home I saw my Go Pro streaking through the water in the shallow. I took after the fish in hot pursuit and after 10 minutes of chasing the hook finally pulled releasing the trout and my camera back to me. I'll put that video together at a later date. Anyways I tied some chironomids and cut the hook off to get this footage so I wouldn't lose more cameras. I hope you enjoy this one.

Tell me what you think? I enjoy hearing your own comments and experiences out on the water! Let me know if you have suggestions for other underwater scenarios you would like to see. I'll see what I can do.

https://youtu.be/NWv8GiuAgU0

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 12-08-2019, 09:12 PM

Nice video Brandon!

Nothing like a trolling around in May/June to get that first fish and then a quick throat sample to see what color of chironomid they are eating. When I get a good sample, pretty much tells me what I need to know. I'm finding that most hatches at lakes repeat or are one other color off. Getting to know these hatches makes for a simply spectacular day of indicator fishing...or naked chirony fishing

Nothing like it!
Old 12-08-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Nice video Brandon!

Nothing like a trolling around in May/June to get that first fish and then a quick throat sample to see what color of chironomid they are eating. When I get a good sample, pretty much tells me what I need to know. I'm finding that most hatches at lakes repeat or are one other color off. Getting to know these hatches makes for a simply spectacular day of indicator fishing...or naked chirony fishing

Nothing like it!
Oh yeah, I haven't even done much of this chroni fishing yet and have a lot to learn. I think you're right about the stomach contents telling everything you need to know.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 12-08-2019, 10:58 PM

Great video - I've never understood why trout attack a chironomid - it's not like it's going to dart away like a minnow or a dragonfly nymph. I've always envisioned trout just cruising along and sucking them in - like a whale shark eating krill. But your video shows them attacking them!

Have you ever used 'action disks' in front of a fly? I've used them trolling leech imitations with some success, but have generally been unimpressed with them. I thought that their extra 'shiver' on a marabou/rabbit strip fly would get a lot more interest than they seem to trigger. It would be an interesting comparison with/without a wiggle disc - for your video!

https://www.wigglefin.com
Old 12-09-2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Great video - I've never understood why trout attack a chironomid - it's not like it's going to dart away like a minnow or a dragonfly nymph. I've always envisioned trout just cruising along and sucking them in - like a whale shark eating krill. But your video shows them attacking them!

Have you ever used 'action disks' in front of a fly? I've used them trolling leech imitations with some success, but have generally been unimpressed with them. I thought that their extra 'shiver' on a marabou/rabbit strip fly would get a lot more interest than they seem to trigger. It would be an interesting comparison with/without a wiggle disc - for your video!

https://www.wigglefin.com
Good idea, I might have to try that sometime. Yeah I haven't had much success with those wiggle discs on hootchies for salmon so I don't use them. I seem to do better with the lure straight to line no extra wiggle. Sometime trout are lazy they like less action. They're strange that way. and sometimes they chase with crazy action.

Old 12-09-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Oh yeah, I haven't even done much of this chroni fishing yet and have a lot to learn. I think you're right about the stomach contents telling everything you need to know.
The ones still squiggling the most are the color of choice!
Old 12-09-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I just read a good but old article about chirony fishing in South-Central B.C. lakes. The ones in that area around Kamloops have some of the most prolific chirony hatches. The article quoted that fish could suck in 1500 or more of these in a single feed or morning. The hatches can be that thick. They explained that the trout do just swim around with mouth open and vacuum them in. Easy feed! They also went on to explain that sometimes the hatch is not on, but the trout attack anyways. They figured due to the repetitive nature they learn to just take it.

I was in a massive hatch this last summer at Maligne. Didn't have to sample them as it was obvious just looking in their mouths. Even still, most around me were not catching but I was. I was also the only one casting out and not leaving it. Once it is down, I usually do the "figure 8" strip back to the boat. Seems to be the ticket when there is clouds of these things below...movement would make it stand out a bit. And man, did they attack it!
Old 12-09-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I just read a good but old article about chirony fishing in South-Central B.C. lakes. The ones in that area around Kamloops have some of the most prolific chirony hatches. The article quoted that fish could suck in 1500 or more of these in a single feed or morning. The hatches can be that thick. They explained that the trout do just swim around with mouth open and vacuum them in. Easy feed! They also went on to explain that sometimes the hatch is not on, but the trout attack anyways. They figured due to the repetitive nature they learn to just take it.

I was in a massive hatch this last summer at Maligne. Didn't have to sample them as it was obvious just looking in their mouths. Even still, most around me were not catching but I was. I was also the only one casting out and not leaving it. Once it is down, I usually do the "figure 8" strip back to the boat. Seems to be the ticket when there is clouds of these things below...movement would make it stand out a bit. And man, did they attack it!
I agree! But fish do seem to concentrate in areas and ive been that guy at time and ive watched that guy at times catching all the fish.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Tags
chironomid, fishing, indicator, video