Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-08-2017, 09:54 AM

Default Gun Shop Owners mind your P's&Q's

I'm guessing because they were a small town shop they could get away without checking everyone, every time.

CARDSTON, Alta. – A southern Alberta gun store’s entire inventory, including more than 1,000 guns and a million rounds of ammunition, has been seized as part of a police investigation into alleged firearms trafficking.

The Alberta Law Enforcement Response Teams, or ALERT, says in a release that K and D Implements in Cardston was searched on May 29 and two of the store’s owners were arrested.

Investigators allege the business was selling guns and ammunition illegally.

The owners are accused of failing to ensure that customers provided valid possession acquisition licences, which gun buyers in Canada must have before firearms and ammunition can be purchased.

Dean Sommerfeldt, who is 58, and Todd Sommerfeldt, who is 31, have been charged with trafficking a firearm, possession of weapons for the purpose of trafficking, careless storage of a restricted weapon and transfer of a weapon and/or ammunition without authority.

Both men have been released on a number of court imposed conditions, including not to possess any firearms.

Besides the guns and ammunition, the store’s inventory also included thousands of firearm primers, gun powder and explosive material used in target practice.

Investigators allege that these items were sold illegally on a number of occasions.

http://medicinehatnews.com/news/prov...s-trafficking/

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-08-2017, 09:57 AM

Default Southern AB gun store accused of selling guns illegally

This sure does not help anything

http://globalnews.ca/news/3512401/so...ion-illegally/
Old 06-08-2017, 10:08 AM
Banned

Has to be more to this story.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:15 AM

I've never even heard of this store, did they operate the store under a different name than K&D Implements?

Sad to imagine what might become of that inventory..... Gov't won't be sending it to auction as far as I could possibly imagine....
Old 06-08-2017, 10:16 AM

Cardston.... the nation's hotbed of gun crime.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
“This gun store needlessly put public safety at risk by allowing conceivably anyone to acquire guns,” Staff Sgt. Jason Walper said in a news release. “We would be naïve to believe that this was not exploited by organized crime and the criminal element.”
Is there any proof of supplying organized crime, or is this just speculation? After a 5 month investigation, you'd think they'd be able to do more than just imply that MIGHT have happened.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith View Post
Is there any proof of supplying organized crime, or is this just speculation? After a 5 month investigation, you'd think they'd be able to do more than just imply that MIGHT have happened.
Im sure if they have proof that they will not disclose all the findings right away.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:33 AM

The whole showing a PAL to purchase guns and ammunition is joke when one group doesn't even need to have a picture on the card and anyone could use it.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
The whole showing a PAL to purchase guns and ammunition is joke when one group doesn't even need to have a picture on the card and anyone could use it.
Considering Cardston borders the Blood reserve, you might have touched on something.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:39 AM

Don't think he was referring to natives

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2017, 10:41 AM

Meanwhile kids are being abused on a daily basis. I guess it is more serious the public buy hunting rifles without a piece of plastic?
Old 06-08-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Don't think he was referring to natives

Yes, I may have misunderstood. I guess you're not talking about Mormons?
Old 06-08-2017, 10:47 AM

I'll take that case of SKS's
Old 06-08-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
Meanwhile kids are being abused on a daily basis. I guess it is more serious the public buy hunting rifles without a piece of plastic?
If a gun store is selling firearms without checking for valid PALs, than I am happy they are being prosecuted. I do not want people or groups aquiring firearms illegally. This just brings more harm to law-abiding firearms owners.

furthermore, i think there are pleanty other officers out there ensuring childeen are being protected. (dont be silly).
Old 06-08-2017, 11:11 AM
Banned

I'm pretty surprised by some of the comments here.
So many times the statements made here run like this 'we don't need more laws, they just need to enforce the ones we have'
So they are...and you joke and whine.
And then wonder why the public at large feel more laws are the answer.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
I've heard they were selling to Muslims. Through the grapevine of course.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:19 AM

1000 guns and a MILLION rounds of ammo? That's some small town gun store. Screw trying to find ammo at Wholesale or Cabelas. I'm going to Cardston! LOL

Seriously, it's got to be a fairly large mail order business. Anyone dealt with them??? If they are moving that much inventory and no one on this forum has heard of them or dealt with them, there's a red flag.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
I'll take that case of SKS's
after they chop them all to little bits?
Old 06-08-2017, 11:32 AM
Banned

“This gun store needlessly put public safety at risk by allowing conceivably anyone to acquire guns,” Staff Sgt. Jason Walper said in a news release. “We would be naïve to believe that this was not exploited by organized crime and the criminal element.”

Maybe it is naïve to assume?

The reality is that if one is not required to have a picture on their PAL, the purpose of the PAL is defeated.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post

The reality is that if one is not required to have a picture on their PAL, the purpose of the PAL is defeated.
How so? There is no legal requirement to check a PAL or confirm identity when selling a non-restricted firearm.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:43 AM
Banned

As mentioned earlier, we should support the enforcement of our current laws, because, god knows, we don't want any more infringements.

It appears from the news reports that there is a serious issue here. I'm sure if the gun store is innocent, a court will so decide. We don't have to be dismissive of every enforcement action; this is not a High River situation.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Ever order a firearm mail - order?
Old 06-08-2017, 11:54 AM

My Parents live in Cardston and i always went to the store when i visit. they had a impressive amount of stuff. guess i should of bought more when i had the chance
Old 06-08-2017, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thats strange. I'm looking at my PAL right now and my picture is on it. I thought everyone's Pal had their picture on it. Is it because I can purchase more then non-restricted firearms?
Old 06-08-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Thats strange. I'm looking at my PAL right now and my picture is on it. I thought everyone's Pal had their picture on it. Is it because I can purchase more then non-restricted firearms?
Here we go! As we old timers used to say, IBTL
Old 06-08-2017, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
1000 guns and a MILLION rounds of ammo? That's some small town gun store. Screw trying to find ammo at Wholesale or Cabelas. I'm going to Cardston! LOL

Seriously, it's got to be a fairly large mail order business. Anyone dealt with them??? If they are moving that much inventory and no one on this forum has heard of them or dealt with them, there's a red flag.
How is that a red flag? Maybe they just don't want to deal with broke Alberta grinders which makes perfect sense to me.

My guess is, investigation started when a regular who knew about the PAL verification negligence submitted a tip most likely because he wasn't getting the deal he wanted and felt entitled after spending tens of thousands of dollars in that store.

5 months of undercover buys detected little more than slack verification (which is a s serious offence of course)

Knowing exactly how many rounds of each calibre would help too, if it was all 5.56, 9mm and 7.62x39 then yeah I'd say red flags but I'm almost certain that was not the case.

Either way I smell a possible jealousy fuelled post-investigation witch hunt here.

Crime has occurred but as usual with the help of the Leftist MSM these
guys will be made to look like they were supplying terrorist factions directly.

It's too bad. It sounds like they were doing well for themselves.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot1 View Post
How is that a red flag? Maybe they just don't want to deal with broke Alberta grinders which makes perfect sense to me.

Perfect sense? Your assumption makes NO sense. In what alternate universe is everyone in Alberta broke and a grinder? Vast majority here have jobs and buy guns and ammo.

And please point us to the mainstream media that is suggesting they are supplying any terrorist groups. Man, you just spout the Trumpisms without even thinking.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:07 PM
Banned

If you are a customer not recognized by the business they should ask for a pal,it's a requirement to participate,they need to know if you are allowed to participate.

The conditions on the pal will influence what direction your purchase will take.

Last edited by purgatory.sv; 06-08-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Perfect sense? Your assumption makes NO sense. In what alternate universe is everyone in Alberta broke and a grinder? Vast majority here have jobs and buy guns and ammo. LOL
Where did I say everyone? Please point that out.

Sorry my bad. Hockey tickets, lifted trucks, RV's and related toys, guns, ammo, smokes and beer. Yep you're right Albertans ALWAYS have money for that lol but everything else is too expensive right?
Old 06-08-2017, 12:12 PM

Don't know the circumstances surrounding the case here. Just know they sold hunting equipment and reloading supplies and had a great stock of both. When no one else had ammo to sell these guys did.