Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-09-2009, 01:23 PM

Default Jiffy gas auger questions

Just wondering how many pulls it takes for everyone to get the thing started cold

Second i'm wondering if your guys gas augers leaks a bit a gas on pull near the yellow compression valve thing.

Also do you guys start your auger at full choke or half choke?

I got my jiffy auger like 2 days ago brand new and it takes me a lot of tries to get the thing going, i've mixed 40:1 fuel and it leaks a little bit around the yellow compressions valve maybe not directly from it but it's around there.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:32 PM

Is it a 2 or 3hp?
Old 03-09-2009, 05:07 PM

Mine actually has just started doing the same thing. Noticed a little spot of gas on the garage floor and has been tougher to start than my friends auger. Mines a 2HP. Once warm it doesnt have any issues but seems to take a bit more to keep it running when cold
Old 03-09-2009, 05:07 PM

when cold use full choke, prime two times,open throttle 3/4 . should start . when warm, no choke do not prime still use 3/4 throttle. carb may need adjustment
Old 03-09-2009, 05:15 PM

Mine leaks a little too. I left it in the porch and found a small puddle of gas. It starts fine, though. I usually give it a couple cranks with full choke, turn off the choke and pull again and she goes.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:14 PM

We have sent a ship to Mars but we cannot make a 2 stroke that starts when new out of the box!!?? I spent the off season fa#t%ng around with mine to get it running smooth. Hopefully it doesn't start leaking gas,etc, etc.
Dodger.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:15 PM

Default Jiffy

Mine is a brand new 3 horse, and it just started running rough since i replaced the "O" ring on the gas lid. It must be restricting the air alittle, but no leaks around yellow thing. It takes a few pulls to get it goin, they flood easy so watch the chokin
Old 03-09-2009, 08:24 PM

Mine leaks also. takes about 3-4 pulls cold and 1-2 warm. I have to prime mine 4-5 times cold thought and full choke for -10 or colder otherwise 3/4 choke.

I never have been happy with the way it runs.But same goes for every tecuhmseh i have ever had. I have a little honda water pump that froze and I am thinking about trying to make a conversion.

Too cheap to spend 1000.00 on a stihl and to lazy to use hand auger.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:15 PM

Default Too much choke

When starting at full choke dont hit the rubber button choke too many times
as this will make it leak fuel. If cold pull until it fires and after it fires half choke and it will run on half choke but turn off the choke as soon as it starts running. Please dont over pull the recoil because i have had my auger in the shop for a month waiting on warranty parts because the recoil snapped with only 10 pulls brand new! Jiffy which I should not have bought because i heard they are going belly up.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:18 PM

Default Sorry

Sorry for misinformation
Tecumseh going belly up!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:57 PM

mine is a 2HP legend lighting xt has no primer pump. But i fired it up today and it took one pull. as for the leak it only happens when i pull the cord but its gone when starts and when its warm.

wierd...
Old 03-10-2009, 07:15 AM
Banned

I've got a brand new lightning, mine leaks a small amout of gas out the decompression valve as well. It takes maby 3 or 4 pulls to get it to fire as there is no primer bulb and pulling the cord is what primes the carb. After it fires it may take a few more pulls and some fiddling with the choke to get it to run. I usualy back it off to about half to 1/4 choke and give it a little throttle once it starts, not enough to spin the blade but just under, once I do this its good to go.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:53 AM

Thats why i bought a strikemaster, starts great!! Didnt want to buy a jiffy, because most of them have some kind of engine problem
Old 03-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Banned

Default gonefishin

Lol... you do realise that your strikemaster has the same engine on it as a jiffy? Or does strike master just buy the good ones and send the defective ones to jiffy? Strikemasters are having all the same problems as any other auger with a tecumse engine sitting on top of them.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:41 AM

Cool thx everyone, its good to know that the auger is the way it is.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:46 PM

you do realise that your strikemaster has the same engine on it as a jiffy?

Cal Are you sure the strike master is the exact engine as jiffy? i Know they are 2 totally different companies, and there not affiliated in anyway. I know the strike master is a hell of a lot more quiet!
Old 03-11-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishn View Post
Thats why i bought a strikemaster, starts great!! Didnt want to buy a jiffy, because most of them have some kind of engine problem
I've had my Jiffy 3Hp for over 15 years now ,drilled thousands of holes,done practically nothing to it and it has given me very little grief.
Only time it does get finnicky is in extreme cold temps(less than -20C),but then I'm pretty finnicky at those temps too!!
Old 03-11-2009, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
I've had my Jiffy 3Hp for over 15 years now ,drilled thousands of holes,done practically nothing to it and it has given me very little grief.
Only time it does get finnicky is in extreme cold temps(less than -20C),but then I'm pretty finnicky at those temps too!!
My father in law has an older one as well. His is a far better auger than mine.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:58 AM
Banned

Default gonefishin

Al the ones I've seen say "tecumse" on the engine and look basicly the same engine wise, a different gear box and auger is all I can see.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:35 AM

just wondering if anyones auger makes a clinking rattling noise.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Suspended User

To those who have starting problems, check your plug gap, clean your air filter and try high octane gas in your next batch of fuel. AD7- check the bolts holding your auger on and try to see if its loose. Some noises can come from this also in the gear box if it is low on oil. Hope it helps.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:52 PM

Apparently the strikemaster and jiffy motors are the same ones, The muffler however is different.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4D7 View Post
just wondering if anyones auger makes a clinking rattling noise.
Just bought a 2HP Jiffy White Lightning couple weeks ago at WEM Fishing Hole (Excellent service!).

Used it on 2 trips already. Same issues you had, at first. Difficult to start. Worked up a good sweat to get it going. Some fuel leakage seen. Heard clinking ratlling noise. Talked to others who owned similar unit and found out the starting gets easier as it warms up. The noise is from the clutch engaging. First auger ever bought and owned thus I was kinda worried at first but it never fails to drill holes so far. Very happy with it now. Hope you enjoy yours.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:36 PM

sweet thanks alpikes i was getting so worried lol as it is my first gas auger too. Cant wait to use it this weekend!
Old 03-16-2009, 01:25 AM

OK! so i set down my auger in the basement (sitting upwards), wake up the next morning finding that my house smells like gas so i go downstairs and the frigging auger is leaking gas!

Its leaking under the throttle right beside the gas tank, before i send it in for repairs because this thing is freaking brand new does anyone have any idea why its leaking so bad?

wierd thing is it fires up like a charm.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:36 AM

Mine ran like a bag of hammers, (3hp, 10 inch Jiffy) for 2 years, switched to 2 stroke Amsoil and high octane gas, like night and day.This thing starts 2 pull max in the cold, (-40+ up here this winter) Was ready to scrap it before giving it one last try with the Amsoil, glad I did.Only problem other than 1st 2 years of unreliability is the junk gas cap Jiffy uses, leaks and is just plain cheap.I lean mine out to 40:1 and love it.Cut through some pretty thick ice, no problem "now"