Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-09-2017, 02:46 PM

Default Abraham Lake Trip

I'm wondering if anyone has been out to Abraham Lake lately? Thinking of heading out there with two of my cousins. What part is safest and can you catch anything from the "safe" areas or does it have to get a bit "hairy" for someone to get into any good action. Can't find much info on this lake other than the plethora of pictures posted on social media of the ice. Not planning on driving on the lake, obviously! Also, I would prefer to not enter any water given the forecast... (;

Thanks in advance!!
Adventurer
Old 03-09-2017, 06:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has been out to Abraham Lake lately? Thinking of heading out there with two of my cousins. What part is safest and can you catch anything from the "safe" areas or does it have to get a bit "hairy" for someone to get into any good action. Can't find much info on this lake other than the plethora of pictures posted on social media of the ice. Not planning on driving on the lake, obviously! Also, I would prefer to not enter any water given the forecast... (;

Thanks in advance!!
Adventurer
Not sure if anywhere on this lake I would consider safe in winter. Fluctuating water levels, thin ice in many areas, air pockets between layers of ice... Most people I fish with won't touch that lake in winter.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:39 PM

I'll pm you
Old 03-09-2017, 06:55 PM

Thanks for the info. I've heard mixed reviews about it.
Looking forward to the PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:37 PM

This time last year there was already a ton of open water there. This year it has been a fair bit colder so I doubt that is the case but I would be very careful and only go where it is obvious that others have been fishing consistently.

This is not a safe lake to just go exploring, I will probably never bother to ice fish it because there are better safer lakes available.

Tags
abraham, ice fishing, lake, nordegg