Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-31-2020, 04:02 PM

Default Fly-Fishing Setup

Hi All,

I’m looking for advice on a new fly-fishing setup.

I’ve been fly-fishing for nearly 20 years, and have yet to purchase a rod or reel. Over that time, I’ve been using hand-me-downs from friends and relatives. To be honest, I’ve only gone through a few rods, and maybe two reels. My goal now is to get a setup that’s more suited to how I fish/the fish I’m going after.

Typically, I’m fishing for trout (rainbow, cutthroat, and bull) and it’s usually in medium sized rivers (around 50’ across). Occasionally, I will lake fish from shore.

Before you ask, I couldn’t tell you what my current setup is, outside of an 8ish’ three-piece rod, and a very old reel that still manages to bring the line in.

I’m not necessarily looking for specific brands, but information on action, weight, line types, etc. I know a post could be written on each of these subjects individually, so I’m looking for more general guidance.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 01-31-2020, 05:05 PM

The weight, action and line is more determined by the type of fishing you enjoy and the size of the fly. Skill is also a factor.

Bull trout for example are generally fished with fairly large streamer type flies. IMO a fairly fast 8 wt with a weight forward line is ideal however if you want this rod to double duty as big dropper rig and/or a sink tip or full sink rig, a medium or full flexing rod might serve you better.

A 4, 5 or 6 would generally be considered a good all around trout rod for the other trout. The rest of it depends on who you talk to.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromhurynout View Post
Hi All,

I’m looking for advice on a new fly-fishing setup.

I’ve been fly-fishing for nearly 20 years, and have yet to purchase a rod or reel. Over that time, I’ve been using hand-me-downs from friends and relatives. To be honest, I’ve only gone through a few rods, and maybe two reels. My goal now is to get a setup that’s more suited to how I fish/the fish I’m going after.

Typically, I’m fishing for trout (rainbow, cutthroat, and bull) and it’s usually in medium sized rivers (around 50’ across). Occasionally, I will lake fish from shore.

Before you ask, I couldn’t tell you what my current setup is, outside of an 8ish’ three-piece rod, and a very old reel that still manages to bring the line in.

I’m not necessarily looking for specific brands, but information on action, weight, line types, etc. I know a post could be written on each of these subjects individually, so I’m looking for more general guidance.

Cheers,

Jay
20 years and you haven't actually purchased a rod or reel. Sorry, but you can't call yourself a flyfisherman yet!

My buddy has been at it for I think now maybe 5 years, and only has the following:
10 fly rods
32 fly lines
22 reels/spools
20 full fly boxes

I've been at it for only 50 years and have maybe double the number of rods and fly lines.

Anyway, for trout fishing for both rivers and lakes I would suggest a 9 ft 5 weight rod (medium fast action) to start off with and a floating line and two sink tip lines (say intermediate and Type IV sinking heads), and then go from there.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:25 PM

I would suggest a 9ft 6 weight rod...that will allow you to cover pretty much everything in Alberta with one rod. Then look at a reel or two that you can get extra spools for. That allows you to get some extra lines...floating, sink tips, various sinking lines. Buy a good quality floating line to start with.
With time you can gather more rods from 4wt to 8wt+ like the rest of us addicts
Old 02-01-2020, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
I would suggest a 9ft 6 weight rod...that will allow you to cover pretty much everything in Alberta with one rod. Then look at a reel or two that you can get extra spools for. That allows you to get some extra lines...floating, sink tips, various sinking lines. Buy a good quality floating line to start with.
x2
After 45+ years of fly-fishing, and an embarrassing pile of rods, reels, fly tying stuff and all the associated goodies, if I was limited to one rod it would be a good 9ft, 6 weight and a reel with changeable spools. Start with one spool of floating line, and a second with a medium/heavy sink tip.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
x2
After 45+ years of fly-fishing, and an embarrassing pile of rods, reels, fly tying stuff and all the associated goodies, if I was limited to one rod it would be a good 9ft, 6 weight and a reel with changeable spools. Start with one spool of floating line, and a second with a medium/heavy sink tip.
Me too!
Old 02-01-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Great advice.

Another bit of friendly advice is to look at used gear. You can usually find some great deals and meet some nice people.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:28 PM

x2 or a fast action 5wt and you overline it in 6wt for sinkings lines, but use a premium floating line in 5wt for dries etc
Old 02-03-2020, 08:25 AM

Thank you all for the advice. Much appreciated.

Tags
fishing, fishing accessories, fly fishing