Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-05-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
If I didn't keep mine in my wallet I would most likely lose it.
How often do you lose your operator's license?
Old 09-05-2020, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have never been asked by any LEO to show my RPAL and any F&W officer I have ever talked to told me they don't give a dam about any firearms license because it's Federal just an Alberta hunting lisence .
Cat
ya, i've never been asked either, i think the point of this thread is to inform, and or confirm, that things will be different going forward

i typically keep mine in the safe with my passport, always pics of my id's, pal, and health cards on my phone for me and the kids etc., i use the pal so infrequently, order ammo once every year or three and the picture on my phone is plenty for that, and even when i do take the gun out for a bit of hunting in the fall it's not many days, i've forgotten the pal in safe, never even gave it a thought so my bad, seems silly to carry it and risk losing it year round for a weeks worth of days in the fall, will have to train myself to ensure i remember it for hunting, might have to make a line item on the sheep hunting packlist just for the pal, seemed logical to me to not keep two of my key id's on me all the time and risk losing both together...for actual need of 7-8 days a year, anyway, i'm glad i got the email about this, my wallet is pretty minimalist, a sticky card sleeve slapped on the back of my office swipe card with drivers license, visa, couple business cards

anyway, hope this info helps avoid some unpleasantness this year for some fellow outdoorsmen
Old 09-05-2020, 11:59 AM

Question

My PAL is always in my wallet, as I'm at the range with restricted at least once a week. It comes in handy for more than just gun possession too. Like, if you are flying out to Victoria, and use your DL to get on plane in GP, and in Calgary, but then suddenly in Vancouver while you are at the boarding gate they say your DL is two months expired and not valid....in that situation, a valid PAL with your picture on it will get you on a domestic flight. Which was really convenient, as taking a Greyhound home would seriously have sucked. They don't send out reminders on Drivers license either....

Anyway, I digress. Anybody who has a firearm in his possession should have a valid PAL on them. Doesn't seem complicated.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-05-2020, 08:07 PM

Why does every RCMP car and most F&W truck carry fancy computer equipment? Shouldn't they be able to just plug in your name and date of birth and tell if you have a valid PAL or not?
Old 09-05-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Why does every RCMP car and most F&W truck carry fancy computer equipment? Shouldn't they be able to just plug in your name and date of birth and tell if you have a valid PAL or not?
They could also check to verify your operators license, and hunting and fishing licenses, but rather than waste the time having to verify your information, it is law that you carry a copy on your person.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:32 PM

Always have my PAL anyway
Old 09-05-2020, 10:49 PM

always have it . never been asked . Checked for live rounds a couple times .
Old 09-06-2020, 12:28 AM

I sometimes leave the house without my drivers license... but never my PAL
Old 09-06-2020, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Not carrying your PAL, shows a totally pedestrian effort towards being a firearms/hunting enthusiast.

Like how on earth do you impulse buy a rifle, or take advantage of a killer deal on some ammo?

Is it really to hard to have your PAL with you?

How is this too difficult to do?

Why do people not get that firearms ownership is a pretty big deal, and carries some very heavy responsibilities, and consequences.
Mine is always in my wallet, but my wallet is quite often not on my person while actually hunting, as I typically need my pockets free for other items, and I don't like carrying a pack.

You might disagree, but I don't think this is an entirely unreasonable instance.
Old 09-06-2020, 03:00 AM

Your PAL should always be in your wallet just like your drivers licence health care card, credit card or WIN card, so this would be a non issue if asked for it, not sure what all the fuss is about

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:22 AM

I was asked to see my paper slip last year in whitecourt by a rcmp
Old 09-06-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
How often do you lose your operator's license?
Never. It lives in my wallet with my RPAL. And my WIN card and pistol club card. And my F.B.I license.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:43 AM

Randomly pulled over by an RCMP last November after rifle hunting deer. Rifle sitting in passenger seat full view. RCMP comes to passenger window asked where I was coming from while looking at rifle. Tells me my license plate lights are pretty dirty and hard to read my plate, sends me on my way.

Never been asked for PAL from a CO or RCMP. Yet....
Old 09-06-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Firearms Licence - Possession Acquisition... The words on the card are self explanitory. If you are in possession of a firearm, you need to be carrying the card.

'going huntin' is not an exemption to this. Also not the first time Ive heard of people hunting and leaving their firearms possession licence at home. Not sure why this lack of common sense is happening.

Even FN status hunters with all the hunting freedoms they have, are still required to carry the firearms PAL if they are using firearms while they are hunting.

Edit** i see 58theCat just said the exact same thing while i was typing.
Yeah, ok, we can pretend this is a real thing that is actually enforced.
Old 09-06-2020, 04:19 PM

I don't get it? This is basic stuff covered in the Firearms course.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-06-2020, 05:18 PM

I understand that the RCMP asking for a PAL but the CO’s have no jurisdiction on this. It’s a federal matter. If someone that knows the law exactly can give an answer on this it would be welcome. Hate when rumours get spread around.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:09 PM
Banned

Not rumour spreading. Read the quote I posted. This is an email sent directly to a friend from someone who had a conversation with a co. So...read that again. Shortly after that someone advised they CO’s now roll up under sheriff dept and have these powers now and supposedly going to be using them.

Any CO’s on here? I thought there were...that’s why I posted this for the two reasons I did. Confirmation and also to inform and save some aggravation and firearms in the process.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:30 PM

Ya tried Stinky, Ya tried. Here`s the notice that was given to the press, CO`s have police powers now, so, carry your PAL, and the slip that goes with it;

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...rime-1.5349968

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...l-crime-crisis
Old 09-06-2020, 09:01 PM
Banned

Well that’s more confirmation this email was legit. Not that I was doubting the source, I’m wary af when it comes to second hand info, so that’s why my caution from the onset.

Hope people see that there will be a different go forward and make sure, including myself, that the pal is onboard.✌️

Long time land owners and firearms owners that have lapsed your cards...better get crackin and renew that shizzo.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:11 PM

Technically, if you are in possession of a firearm, you must have your PAL with you at all times.

It has been like this forever and is nothing new. Requesting to see your PAL is likely just a policy sent out by the Feds that the Provincial Officers have to comply with.

Carry your PAL, just like your hunting licence. No big deal really.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Well that’s more confirmation this email was legit. Not that I was doubting the source, I’m wary af when it comes to second hand info, so that’s why my caution from the onset.

Hope people see that there will be a different go forward and make sure, including myself, that the pal is onboard.✌️

Long time land owners and firearms owners that have lapsed your cards...better get crackin and renew that shizzo.
Why would you ever let your PAL lapse if you have firearms? It is a requirement to be in possession of a firearm. With internet renewals it is even easier to renew (if you haven't let it lapse) than ever before.

Keep your PAL in your wallet all the time. You never know when you NEED to buy another firearm or more ammo!
Old 09-06-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have never been asked by any LEO to show my RPAL and any F&W officer I have ever talked to told me they don't give a dam about any firearms license because it's Federal just an Alberta hunting lisence .
Cat
I should maybe add that although I have never been asked by an LEO or Warden while in the field does not mean I leave it at home!
My FAC and RPAL's have always been with me along with my other ID since the introduction of the FAC.
Cat
Old 09-06-2020, 09:37 PM

I have never been asked by the RCMP for a hunting license and I have never been asked by a game warden for a PAL. I carry both because I never know who I’m going to run into.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 09-06-2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Ya tried Stinky, Ya tried. Here`s the notice that was given to the press, CO`s have police powers now, so, carry your PAL, and the slip that goes with it;

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...rime-1.5349968

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...l-crime-crisis
Seems like there is a real unknown what is a CO in Alberta.
CO is a Park Conservation Officer/Ranger.
Fish and Wildlife officer is a Game Warden with the police powers?
Old 09-07-2020, 12:52 AM

Default Problem

Albertas Fish and Wildlife officers were instructed many years ago to not enforce the then new Firearms legislation. This is Alberta, and this is not a Liberal province, although after reading the replies here youd think it was deep red!
To the OP, thanks for letting us know We’ve eroded another step!
Old 09-07-2020, 06:37 AM

Seems like no one goes anywhere without their phone, would a pic of the document saved to your phone be sufficient?
Old 09-07-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAC255 View Post
Seems like there is a real unknown what is a CO in Alberta.
CO is a Park Conservation Officer/Ranger.
Fish and Wildlife officer is a Game Warden with the police powers?
The very fact that the OP called Fish and Wildlife officers CO's leads me to believe it's BS , because as was already stated several times it is a federal thing not a Provincial law.
And as was already stated, Fish and Wildlife have never been instructed too ask for them, I know this as fact because I have been told this by F&W officers themselves.
Until I see something a more official than a " email from a buddy" I'm going to call BS and Ii doubt very much we are going to see that any time soon.
It may happen at a check stoop in conjunction with the RCMP , but even then, when stopped the RCMP have never asked me for a hunting license when I have been stopped either.
Doesn't matter as I carry both all the time and always have .
Cat
Old 09-07-2020, 06:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Got stopped once by RCMP....he say the gun case....we chatted and yup I produced the card.....on the water they asked for the boaters card.....we know the rules....ignorance is not an excuse.....might cost ya....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-07-2020, 09:13 AM

This thread should be titled: ATTENTION; Always carry your PAL when in possession of your firearms.

... and there should be no further comments.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffee View Post
This thread should be titled: ATTENTION; Always carry your PAL when in possession of your firearms.

... and there should be no further comments.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^