Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2020, 08:04 AM

Default Good News for fall school.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.ctv...1_5032918.html

-Billy Molls
Old 07-22-2020, 08:16 AM

schools are a petri dish for any virus or bacteria that can transmit between hosts. C19 has a relatively long incubation period, plus asymptomatic carriers can infect many before being detected. kids can distance learn easily online, no critical need for socialization for a year or two. should at least wait until vaccine is available.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsik View Post
schools are a petri dish for any virus or bacteria that can transmit between hosts. C19 has a relatively long incubation period, plus asymptomatic carriers can infect many before being detected. kids can distance learn easily online, no critical need for socialization for a year or two. should at least wait until vaccine is available.
My wife works at a school. Not every kid can learn online thats for sure. She spent 8 hours a day minimum with different kids daily trying to teach and work with them. Also not socializing does affect them greatly especially the younger kids as that was one of the things they paid close attention to during this whole thing.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:33 AM

Can someone explain how its ok to send our children to school while our politicians are still doing zoom meetings? They won't let reporters into their daily addresses. They in one breath say its OK for hundreds of children to go into a school where, im sorry, social distancing will not be obeyed, and in the next breath say that Albertans must do more about social distancing. What am I missing?

Quote:
True!

Quote:
Most kids can learn easily online if they have the proper support system at home. Unfortunately there is way to many kids who don't. I know if I left my two 9 year olds to school them selves they'd get nothing done. How many parents will be working full time in the fall? How many parents are deadbeat losers who don't give two craps about their kids? If kids don't go back to school there will be a large portion who fall behind.

In saying that I agree schools are gross, kids are gross and I think this thing will run rampant but im not sure what the better alternative is.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinebeers View Post
Most kids can learn easily online if they have the proper support system at home. Unfortunately there is way to many kids who don't. I know if I left my two 9 year olds to school them selves they'd get nothing done. How many parents will be working full time in the fall? How many parents are deadbeat losers who don't give two craps about their kids? If kids don't go back to school there will be a large portion who fall behind.

In saying that I agree schools are gross, kids are gross and I think this thing will run rampant but im not sure what the better alternative is.
Also true... my kids (luckily) are doing really well online. They love that there aren’t any “little johnny’s or suzies” in class constantly disrupting everything.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:47 AM

I think it’s great for the social and learning part.

IMO though, reopening schools is going to pretty much remove any benefits of the social distancing and mask wearing away from schools.

Any sickness the whole family has gotten since the kids started school has started from the kids. A few classmates my kids have get sent to school no matter how sick they are since the parents need to work. Multiple letters have been sent home over the years saying that sick kids need to be kept home but it continues.
With how many ADULTS this this sickness is a joke or a scam ect. This will spread through schools like wildfire. Then there are the a symptomatic spreaders on top of that. Yes, I get that kids are pretty safe from dying from it but we don’t know what long term effects are.

Another concern I have with our area is, being a rural area with lots of tight knit families. A lot of the kids are watched by their grandparents until the parents get home from work. Sunday dinners with the whole family is common in this area too. Add to that the rumours of this whole thing being a joke.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:50 AM

Default Quality of home education

I was talking with one of my neighbors about the quality of home education their kids are getting. We were wondering if the quality and depth of instruction that was provided for the remainder of the spring session would have been equal to what they would have gotten in a classroom setting. Was it equal or just a "quick patch" that will have the missing pieces addressed in the following year?
Old 07-22-2020, 08:53 AM

Online works for many. It also doesnt work for many. Parents need to work. Kids need to be in school.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I think it’s great for the social and learning part.

IMO though, reopening schools is going to pretty much remove any benefits of the social distancing and mask wearing away from schools.

Any sickness the whole family has gotten since the kids started school has started from the kids. A few classmates my kids have get sent to school no matter how sick they are since the parents need to work. Multiple letters have been sent home over the years saying that sick kids need to be kept home but it continues.
With how many ADULTS this this sickness is a joke or a scam ect. This will spread through schools like wildfire. Then there are the a symptomatic spreaders on top of that. Yes, I get that kids are pretty safe from dying from it but we don’t know what long term effects are.

Another concern I have with our area is, being a rural area with lots of tight knit families. A lot of the kids are watched by their grandparents until the parents get home from work. Sunday dinners with the whole family is common in this area too. Add to that the rumours of this whole thing being a joke.
You hit the nail on the head. When you look at how many on here feel the pandemic is a joke or a political tool, how could you expect their children to believe otherwise? Kids in schools will be just like a tightly packed bar full of drunks.....only with even less common sense. Fire, meet gasoline.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:55 AM

If the kids are to be back at school, the PM and all of parliament had best be back at work full-time and in person for 2 weeks preceding kids being in school.

If Trudeau sticks his head out of his burrow and see's his shadow, how much longer is the pandemic?
Old 07-22-2020, 08:56 AM

It is a crap situation all around. For me doing the distance learning with 2 kids is elementary school we managed but it was not ideal. For ages that young you can't really just leave them to do their work online and they need lots of guidance. As a single parent nothing about it was easy. Add in the fact that my kids have been asking me daily when school starts again because they miss their friends and teachers it is pretty apparent that school is more than just a place to learn.

I think like most things, the underprivileged kids would be affected the most. Parents of higher means will probably be able to afford a tutor to help out if schools remained closed. Parents firmly in the middle class will power through whatever happens and do our best. But lower income parents both working full time trying to make ends meet are not going to be able to effectively teach their kids. Add in all the crappy parents who would rather just not teach their kids. School is the one place for structure, learning, and even a healthy snack for lots of kids.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:01 AM

I'm reserving judgment until I see some details from our school board on how things will be set up. I really dont see how it wont be a gong show though. Talking about staggered start and end times might work if you have one kid that walks to school by themselves but how do they coordinate 3 kids from one family being bussed to three different schools?

I have a feeling the teachers are going to be spending half the day policing social distancing and half the day making the kids wipe down everything they touch. That wont leave a bunch of time for teaching. I had to explain what they meant by keeping kids in a cohort to my oldest and his first reaction was to ask what the punishment for breaking it would be. He's a pretty good kid so that gives an idea of how good that idea is going to go over with the students.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I was talking with one of my neighbors about the quality of home education their kids are getting. We were wondering if the quality and depth of instruction that was provided for the remainder of the spring session would have been equal to what they would have gotten in a classroom setting. Was it equal or just a "quick patch" that will have the missing pieces addressed in the following year?
That’s one big concern we had. My daughter would get up early and start her school work often being finished in less than an hour and that was including the videos she watched. She’s in grade 6. I don’t think they are getting near the education they were in school. We did end up finding some auxiliary work for them to do with similar subject matter but I don’t think it comes close to real schooling.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:02 AM

September is a ways away yet. I hope they can go back.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:04 AM

All restrictions need to be lifted for school to work. First kid with a snotty nose or a fever then what.... and that usually happens on day one. A kids parent tests positive for covid or a kid on the hockey team has covid and on and on. If kids are going to school open it wide up. 14 day isolation won’t work, when a kid is exposed to covid which will likely happen in the first few weeks at school does that mean the parents of the exposed kids are in quarantine??? Lots of questions being asked.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:25 AM

I love having my kids at home. And I'm indifferent about them going back to school. But the public school system has been beat down so bad, there is no way that they can add any preventions.
In the last year my kids rural school has lost 3 portables, and 3 of the 8 teachers they had, with enrollment staying the same. They now have bigger class sizes, lots of split classes, library and music room double as classrooms and lunch rooms.
The verdict has been, if you can run smaller classes and have a good cleaning system in place, then the covid can be mitigated.
None of which we can do with the public school system we have been left with.
It's going to be an interesting fall.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Absolutely it was nothing more than a quick patch. Anyone who tells you different is lying. Kids sit in class for 5 hours a day of regular instruction. What kids got during the last part of the year was a fraction of that. Im.happy for anyone who says their kids did great. My response is they did great with a fraction if what they'd learn in class. A small fraction.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2020, 09:40 AM

[QUOTE=CaberTosser;4206656]If the kids are to be back at school, the PM and all of parliament had best be back at work full-time and in person for 2 weeks preceding kids being in school.

If Trudeau sticks his head out of his burrow and see's his shadow, how much longer is the pandemic?[/QUOTE

^ ^ ^ ^
Nailed it.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:42 AM

Berger.....

Last March to June were officially dubbed ‘emergency remote instruction’

All teachers were told:

Only attempt to further instruction on core skills of your class.
Exams are a no no.... marks are to be of a formative type of assessment.
If kid was not failing at the beginning of the lockdown.... they were not to be failed ... period.

Pretty much in every scenario.... teachers were told by the province to water down the depth and breadth of their courses severely..... and hard no on assignment deadlines.

So.... those kids/families that are currently thinking the distance Ed is way better....... well the workload in Sept might feel like an avalanche.

My daughter with the health immunity situation is off to university.... so really the only person with Comorbidities (Athsma) is me.

But I’ll go. If my bosses say go to work, I’ll go. There’s a lot of kids that for them, school is safer than home and they get fed. I’ll go and risk it for that and my paycheck.

I do wonder about Covid plus the regular flu season double teaming up this fall on people.

That should be interesting.

The Hutterite experience sure shows how well this transmits here.

Gonna be a fun fall.

I’ll bet Kenny and the crew will still social distance in the Legislature though.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-22-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
If the kids are to be back at school, the PM and all of parliament had best be back at work full-time and in person for 2 weeks preceding kids being in school.

If Trudeau sticks his head out of his burrow and see's his shadow, how much longer is the pandemic?
The thread is about school. Why don't you start a thread about Trudeau.

To the OP, we have two kids in school and my wife helps in class one day a week. We definitely appreciate the online efforts of the teachers and we also share their worries being exposed to so many kids. If this thing flares up then it's going to be hard to make the classroom work. The social distancing thing just doesn't work. At the same time we know a few families struggling with a parent needing to stay home.

I wonder with all these people out of work whether in-home child care , perhaps in small groups becomes a federally funded thing that can overlap with online schooling. Lots of graduates and undergraduates are also without school or work.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Absolutely it was nothing more than a quick patch. Anyone who tells you different is lying. Kids sit in class for 5 hours a day of regular instruction. What kids got during the last part of the year was a fraction of that. Im.happy for anyone who says their kids did great. My response is they did great with a fraction if what they'd learn in class. A small fraction.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Interesting. My neighbors are real estate agents who work from their house and prefer the distance learning for their 2 kids. They are under the impression that the kids are getting exactly what regular schooling would have provided. I think some information should be circulated to the parents to outline the difference between the ad hoc system compared to regular to allow them to make better decisions for their kids for the upcoming term.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:47 AM

Default There was

Quote:
Interesting. My neighbors are real estate agents who work from their house and prefer the distance learning for their 2 kids. They are under the impression that the kids are getting exactly what regular schooling would have provided. I think some information should be circulated to the parents to outline the difference between the ad hoc system compared to regular to allow them to make better decisions for their kids for the upcoming term.
A letter got sent home to all parents outlining the situation.

Not all letters home get read..... and there was a lot going on last March.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-22-2020, 09:48 AM

Thumbs down

These so call safety measures that they are using is a joke ... filled out questionnaires for parent and visitors.. video telling everyone to stay 6 ft apart .. not going to work well for elementary school and not to mention having the current classroom size. They are close to if not over 30 kids in most case . And if anyone in the class or staff has covid19 parent will be informed... that going to be really helpful now it’s not prevention but rather containment ... good luck .
Old 07-22-2020, 09:50 AM

I just want to clarify that my previous post about the quality of at home schooling is in no way blaming the teachers. Our teachers were amazing and did everything in their power to make the schooling from home work. Many people including my wife have a higher level of respect and appreciation for teachers than we already had. There was no time for them to plan or prepare for what they had to put together and they did a great job without giving the kids too much work and overwhelming them.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:51 AM

Default Good news

Having all those kids together in school is going to be a mistake I think. Cases will spike. It’s going to take the cost of having people in a persons family get very sick or worst for the seriousness of this whole thing to sink in for them.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Berger.....

Last March to June were officially dubbed ‘emergency remote instruction’

All teachers were told:

Only attempt to further instruction on core skills of your class.
Exams are a no no.... marks are to be of a formative type of assessment.
If kid was not failing at the beginning of the lockdown.... they were not to be failed ... period.

Pretty much in every scenario.... teachers were told by the province to water down the depth and breadth of their courses severely..... and hard no on assignment deadlines.

So.... those kids/families that are currently thinking the distance Ed is way better....... well the workload in Sept might feel like an avalanche.

My daughter with the health immunity situation is off to university.... so really the only person with Comorbidities (Athsma) is me.

But I’ll go. If my bosses say go to work, I’ll go. There’s a lot of kids that for them, school is safer than home and they get fed. I’ll go and risk it for that and my paycheck.

I do wonder about Covid plus the regular flu season double teaming up this fall on people.

That should be interesting.

The Hutterite experience sure shows how well this transmits here.

Gonna be a fun fall.

I’ll bet Kenny and the crew will still social distance in the Legislature though.
Yeah I was thinking that the "deferred education" might be rough on a few this September as they will have to play a bunch of catch up. You guys are gonna have your work cut out for you!
Old 07-22-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
A letter got sent home to all parents outlining the situation.

Not all letters home get read..... and there was a lot going on last March.
That is true and many only retain the pieces of information they want to agree with.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:55 AM

I see the usual round of complaining and second guessing is hard at work again. Did all of you miss the fact that you don't have to send your kids to school if you disagree. If you think they need more cleaning, more staff etc, you are free to attend and volunteer.

By everything I have read, you are completely free to keep them home and school them yourself. Since it is 100% in the control of the parent I can't for the life of me see why there is this much discussion.

The ones that I can see at risk are the teachers. My bet is they aren't going to get the option of not looking after the little snotters and staying home instead.