Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Octane~ View Post
Lol just keep rambling man, let me grab another beer and laugh. I got to about 2 sentances in and said **** it, not even worth my time Just keep saying to yourself it's all because of the 'pouchers', like yourself who illegally chum because you cant catch otherwise.
Yah u got nothing left to say. Go ahead and cry now.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ya I dont know man, reading his posts just seems to give me a splitting headache I'm aware of over harvesting but for example the Lake Isle perch suffered from a brutal winter kill I think 2 winters back? The winter it got killed off I was fishing it early ice season and was doing fantastic on 13+in perch. But some of the things he is saying just doesn't make sense to me, as well as most others on this board. He claims Hasse was fished out months ago, I was there a couple days ago and caught a limit of 11in+ perch....don't bother with those lakes very often but when I do I'll keep the perch.

As for the walleye in Isle, mabey i'm wrong because I don't read his posts but isn't he saying keep the limit zero on walleye in lakes like that for fear of 'the hoards of people fishing them out in a weekend'?
Lets see these pictures. Because your the only person claiming that your catching 11+inch perch out of there still in great numbers.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy perch fisher View Post
Lets see these pictures. Because your the only person claiming that your catching 11+inch perch out of there still in great numbers.
I aint showing you ***** little boy.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yah u got nothing left to say. Go ahead and cry now.
Every hear the saying never argue with someone that 'lacks upstairs' because you will always lose....they will bring you down to their level and beat you at their own game. Ya, apply that to you.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Every hear the saying never argue with someone that 'lacks upstairs' because you will always lose....they will bring you down to their level and beat you at their own game. Ya, apply that to you.
Your the one that started throwing insults out because your had no argument.

Just proves your full of **** and make up lies to sound better.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Your the one that started throwing insults out because your had no argument.

Just proves your full of **** and make up lies to sound better.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:24 PM

Heres my solution, open all the lakes, allow people to fish them out completely, then when everything is gone there will be noone to blame but ourselves. It would also save us alot of money, you wouldnt have to by anymore fishing gear or boats. The lakes would become less polluted, the litter and noise would be less.

LOL, JK!
Old 05-26-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Ya I dont know man, reading his posts just seems to give me a splitting headache I'm aware of over harvesting but for example the Lake Isle perch suffered from a brutal winter kill I think 2 winters back? The winter it got killed off I was fishing it early ice season and was doing fantastic on 13+in perch. But some of the things he is saying just doesn't make sense to me, as well as most others on this board. He claims Hasse was fished out months ago, I was there a couple days ago and caught a limit of 11in+ perch....don't bother with those lakes very often but when I do I'll keep the perch.

As for the walleye in Isle, mabey i'm wrong because I don't read his posts but isn't he saying keep the limit zero on walleye in lakes like that for fear of 'the hoards of people fishing them out in a weekend'?
There has been a few winter kills at Isle over the years but the perch for some reason did not get hit that hard. Almost all the fish found on shore after the last kill were Burbot, Pike and Suckers. The Perch devastation happened just before the last kill. Don't get me wrong you can still catch perch there, it is just tougher to find decent ones. People go home from there now with their limit in 6 inch Perch. I have seen people leave with a limit in the morning and then right back out again later in the day for another limit. I think what HPF is saying about the slot size is that the people of Alberta are the biggest threat to the fish of our lakes. If they open up lakes close to the city the old boys club of Alberta fishing will be keeping as many as they can for as long as they can. I hope they figure something out soon. I started fishing at Isle as a little boy and would love to pass that on to my kids someday. The question is what do they do with these lakes without leading to mass destruction.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:25 PM

OBTW

THanks for the update and the story on your trip....

Great pics,

Thank you!
Old 05-27-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
If u read my post thats what i was saying. what i meant by coplase is that none of them where small ones. Those are same fish from 5-6 years ago. Theres no young ones jioning the numbers. I know your exagerating on the amount u seen and i doubt u caught more then 2. I classify a lake collapsed when there numbers are dropping and there no new perch jioning. I guess u call it collapsed when there all gone.
Actually, I'm not exaggerating about the numbers and yes, there were lots of small perch mixed in with the bunch. And yes, we caught well more than two. I'm done arguing with you as I've done in previous threads, because it is readily apparent that you are incredibly ignorant and bullheaded and once you make your mind up, thats the way it is, regardless of facts. Here's a tip, spend less time complaining about the fishing and get out and learn how to, maybe you'll see that things aren't as bad as you think.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:45 AM

Went fishing again last night for 3 hours on Lac Ste Anne. Launched by West Cove and fished near the island. I caught a small Pike. Hubby caught three Walleye -- the biggest one was 52cm -- a very nice fish.
We have fished that lake for five years now and every year the fish sizes are getting bigger. When we first started, the fish were quite small, about 20 - 30 cm
I think the C/R policy is working on this lake...if only there was a way to ban the poachers!!!!
Old 05-27-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Love-Eyes View Post
Went fishing again last night for 3 hours on Lac Ste Anne. Launched by West Cove and fished near the island. I caught a small Pike. Hubby caught three Walleye -- the biggest one was 52cm -- a very nice fish.
We have fished that lake for five years now and every year the fish sizes are getting bigger. When we first started, the fish were quite small, about 20 - 30 cm
I think the C/R policy is working on this lake...if only there was a way to ban the poachers!!!!
I dont think the CNR is working. I fished the lake for 30 years and it is in a bad way. Before the closure there were decent perch, Walleye and pike now all small walleye very few pike and next to no perch. Open the bloody lake up for a walleye or two and let the rest of the species have a fighting chance.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
you admited that your hubby outfished you, WOW (haha)
Old 05-27-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
I dont think the CNR is working. I fished the lake for 30 years and it is in a bad way. Before the closure there were decent perch, Walleye and pike now all small walleye very few pike and next to no perch. Open the bloody lake up for a walleye or two and let the rest of the species have a fighting chance.
I'm not sure how to respond to this...You think taking out the Walleye will increase the sizes of the fish??? What about the Pike...they also eat Perch. Should we take out the Pike too???

Maybe all the Perch are going into gill nets.....
or maybe the Perch limit should be reduced as well to help the numbers recover

There have been studies done that prove that if you take out all the big fish, they will genetically adapt to not grow big in the subsequent generations. IMO that is why we don't find big fish in Alberta anymore..because anglers take the bigger fish as per Alberta Sportfishing Regulations

That is why we need changes to the regulations..either to slot sizes or to take smaller fish and leave the big ones as was discussed in previous posts

Last edited by I-Love-Eyes; 05-27-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure how to respond to this...You think taking out the Walleye will increase the sizes of the fish??? What about the Pike...they also eat Perch. Should we take out the Pike too???

There have been studies done that prove that if you take out all the big fish, they will genetically adapt to not grow big in the subsequent generations. IMO that is why we don't find big fish in Alberta anymore..because anglers take the bigger fish as per Alberta Sportfishing Regulations

That is why we need changes to the regulations..either to slot sizes or to take smaller fish and leave the big ones as was discussed in previous posts

You are so rightMost of the guys above are on the right page but WOW some of these guys are wackedfirst time on this forum and some of these guys make me wonderDont we just want to do what is right for our wonderful sport and for children???
Keep the faith(HAHA)
Old 05-27-2009, 10:37 AM

I have fished all the local lakes for almost 35 years. Back in the day only the guys who got up early or fished late and new the honey holes caught walleye and some times got skunked the fishing pressure was no were near what it is today, yet you still had to work for your fish
Today if you don't catch a walleye evey 1/2 hour people cry collapsed fishery. I don't know the solution, but I personally think all the local lakes could stand a limited walleye limit.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
I have fished all the local lakes for almost 35 years. Back in the day only the guys who got up early or fished late and new the honey holes caught walleye and some times got skunked the fishing pressure was no were near what it is today, yet you still had to work for your fish
Today if you don't catch a walleye evey 1/2 hour people cry collapsed fishery. I don't know the solution, but I personally think all the local lakes could stand a limited walleye limit.
But where do you draw the line? Do you limit it to one fish over a certain length or under or just take the first one you catch no mater the size? If every fisherman took one fish out of Lac Ste Anne, there would be nothing left because of the immense pressure that lake has.
By the way, I am not calling "collapsed" on that lake...as I stated before, I think the populations are coming back and it is because it is a C/R lake right now.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnyder View Post
you admited that your hubby outfished you, WOW (haha)
Yeah, it does happen once in a blue moon Have to let him have some glory once in a while
Old 05-27-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Very well put. The old rule was 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:

I know first hand the Walleye were of better average size prior to the closure. Pike were very plentifull and some real nice ones. Perch fishing was great. Walleye have over run the lake. How long have you fished it? Not long im guessing you thought a draw was available must not follow it very close?
Old 05-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Banned

Push for draws on it. Slot sizes will not come into play there not even considering them because they know what will happen. The only lakes slot sizes could and sould go in effect on are lakes like slave and calling and a couple other northern ones.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfish View Post
Actually, I'm not exaggerating about the numbers and yes, there were lots of small perch mixed in with the bunch. And yes, we caught well more than two. I'm done arguing with you as I've done in previous threads, because it is readily apparent that you are incredibly ignorant and bullheaded and once you make your mind up, thats the way it is, regardless of facts. Here's a tip, spend less time complaining about the fishing and get out and learn how to, maybe you'll see that things aren't as bad as you think.
Ok man whatever you say. Even through i have'nt heard of anyone catching any perch under 8 inches out of there for the past 4 years. Apparently your still catching tons of them in great numbers. I know your full of bs. So heres some advice if your going post **** like this have a dated picture showing them at the lake. Its always funny when u guys try to make a fool out of me with no evidence and nothing more then bs.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:41 PM

Previously, I stated that I thought I read that there was a draw licence for Lac Ste Anne. Apparently, there WAS talk about including LSA in the pilot projects implementing draw licences on Alberta lakes. The following quote is from SRD 2006 in FAQ section
http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/fishwildlif...nglicence.aspx
"Lac Ste. Anne was not included in the pilot program because SRD wanted to include only fisheries with consistent strong public support in this pilot year. The support for Lac Ste. Anne was mixed. Additional angler use information (creel survey) and walleye population data will be collected from this fishery this summer and fall. "

Also, I think that this was discussed on another forum and that is why I thought that there was a special fish harvest licence for LSA

Five-0;
Never presume that just because you have fished for many years that gives you superior knowledge to anyone else. I think the lake is doing OK and you don't so we will have to agree to disagree
Old 05-28-2009, 08:20 PM

If you think a 2-4 lbs walleye is a good size walleye then your right we wont agree. I have put a ton of time on that lake both in winter and summer I do know one thing the lake is in a bad way. I have caught and released hundreds of 5-9 lbs walters from the lake over the years and not a big one for the last 10 HUMM very odd your probably right im not looking or fishing hard enough. If you have a desire to get schooled in the art of walleye fishing let me know I will help you out.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
If you think a 2-4 lbs walleye is a good size walleye then your right we wont agree. I have put a ton of time on that lake both in winter and summer I do know one thing the lake is in a bad way. I have caught and released hundreds of 5-9 lbs walters from the lake over the years and not a big one for the last 10 HUMM very odd your probably right im not looking or fishing hard enough. If you have a desire to get schooled in the art of walleye fishing let me know I will help you out.

Don't think I need to be "schooled" and If you want to `teach` me , I am always open minded. I simply stated that we caught a 52 cm walleye which, in my opinion, hasn't been seen in LSA for quite a while. Most are around 40 cm.

Yes, Walleye eat perch, and yes, there is a drop in perch numbers. but when the gov't rules that the walleye limit is zero and the perch limit is still 15 per, it stands to reason that walleye and man are going to reduce the amount of perch available to both..man and walleye. If this is the case, then either the perch limit should be reduced or the walleye should be opened up. If,as you say, the walleye are overtaking the lake (which I don`t believe) I say...make every species on the lake C&R and let mother nature take over. She has ways of managing our resources which are far superior to any government interference.

That being said...I think that poaching and native fishing on this lake are the biggest problem it is facing at this point in time

I still think, and won't change my beliefs, unless you can convince me otherwise, that C/R and/or taking smaller fish will benefit the fishery.

Keeping the big ones only convices the fish to produce smaller ones (genetic adaptation)--it`s a matter of survival of the fittest.

30 years ago or whatever, there was not near the angling pressure there is today, and that is something you need to factor in.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
[/COLOR]

Don't think I need to be "schooled" and If you want to `teach` me , I am always open minded. I simply stated that we caught a 52 cm walleye which, in my opinion, hasn't been seen in LSA for quite a while. Most are around 40 cm.

Yes, Walleye eat perch, and yes, there is a drop in perch numbers. but when the gov't rules that the walleye limit is zero and the perch limit is still 15 per, it stands to reason that walleye and man are going to reduce the amount of perch available to both..man and walleye. If this is the case, then either the perch limit should be reduced or the walleye should be opened up. If,as you say, the walleye are overtaking the lake (which I don`t believe) I say...make every species on the lake C&R and let mother nature take over. She has ways of managing our resources which are far superior to any government interference.

That being said...I think that poaching and native fishing on this lake are the biggest problem it is facing at this point in time

I still think, and won't change my beliefs, unless you can convince me otherwise, that C/R and/or taking smaller fish will benefit the fishery.

Keeping the big ones only convices the fish to produce smaller ones (genetic adaptation)--it`s a matter of survival of the fittest.

30 years ago or whatever, there was not near the angling pressure there is today, and that is something you need to factor in.
I TOTALY AGREE, keep the faith haha
Old 05-31-2009, 10:56 AM

Default Lac St. Anne fish

No doubt walleye closure at Lac St anne has resulted in:

-drastic drop in numbers and size of pike
-drastic increase in numbers of walleye

I believe that Alberta has to move to slot limits to maintain and improve walleye fisheries. I know slot limits won't work in Alberta without increased enforcement, just as now us law-abiding fishermen protect the resource for the betterment of those who don't care to follow the law and abuse it.

I would like to see Alberta follow some of the other western provinces in giving large fines for infractions. Word gets around that it isn't worth it, we all know odds are against getting caught 1000-1 but if its gonna cost you thousands of dollars then we will see this behavior change in many (some will never change).

Fishing and Hunting are my passions and I will gladly follow the rules. I would like to believe the rules are sensible and will help improve or maintain populations. I would like to see fish and wildlife department given enough resources to give those who won't follow the rules fear they will get caught or better yet fines and equipment seizures.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:47 PM

Amen to the fine increases!! The problem lies in the fact that there are just not enough enforcement staff out there to monitor all the lakes and to catch the poachers and other law breakers. Someone on another post stated that until we outdoorsmen and women start to make a lot more noise, the government just doesn't feel obligated to put any more resources toward catching the abusers of our environment. And...the problem is not just with fisheries. It is also with hunting, OHV's and camping etc.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:51 PM

We were out camping and fishing this weekend. Our camping neighbors had a tackle box stolen from their campsite. While we were out fishing, some jack*** came whizzing up to us and asked if we had seen another boat. We answered him and then he took off across the rear of our boat right over our fishing lines. He now has 350 yards of braided superline in his prop. Stupid jerk.