Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-11-2014, 10:14 PM

Default Update - Marcum - Blue screen of Death - Fix'd

My unit is second hand, this is it's 3rd season, was out Friday it worked fine for 2 or more hours moved 20 feet turned it on, put the camera down and got the blue screen of death, tried a number of fix's nothing worked, I'll be contacting Marcum Service on Monday .... have any of you experienced this problem ?

Zip-Z

Old 01-11-2014, 10:23 PM

That was the model before the 825sd(current model). I have an 820 which was just the B&W version. Marcum recommended to me the 820 over the color, as it was better in low light conditions. Had trouble early the second year I had it(screen issue)- just off warranty. Called Marcum they said ship it back. They did not charge me cuz so close to warranty but 3 week turnaround. And got dinged by UPS Now I think they ship USPS(but check).

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:07 AM

Battery gone ? Find some one with the same battery and try it. Battery on my aqua-vu went last year, got a similar srceen.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:18 AM

Default Marcum 825c

Yup...sounds like a battery issue !!!
Old 01-12-2014, 10:02 AM

Not the Battery, .... but tks.

Z-Z

Old 01-12-2014, 03:27 PM

search online, that's almost always a battery issue. Maybe you got a bad new batt, same amperage?
Old 01-12-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouty View Post
search online, that's almost always a battery issue. Maybe you got a bad new batt, same amperage?
Tks for the reply .... my OEM battery was in the camera when this happened, tried the new one's no change, still blue.

Z-Z

Old 01-12-2014, 06:34 PM

I would email or call marcum. One of the best warranty departments I've had to deal with. They replaced my camera no questions asked.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
I would email or call marcum. One of the best warranty departments I've had to deal with. They replaced my camera no questions asked.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I also agree, call the Service guys, a Guy Named Mike helped me get my 2 Cameras replaced and upgraded to the new geration Marcum Camera at N/C And they paid shipping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-12-2014, 07:49 PM

I would assume it is a poor connection to the camera. You can start by unplugging and replugging the cables.

Can you get the LED's on the camera lite? This can tell if you have power to the camera unit.

My assumption would be first a poor connection, second is water in somewhere and last one of the cables in the main cable is broken .
Old 01-12-2014, 07:55 PM

I had that happen to mine the first year I had it. It was water in the display. I checked the camera on my buddies and the camera worked but not on mine. I let it dry out a couple days and it has worked since. I just keep it in a case now when traveling on the lake to keep the snow out. Try to dry it near the register and see if incomes back.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuan View Post
I would assume it is a poor connection to the camera. You can start by unplugging and replugging the cables.

Can you get the LED's on the camera lite? This can tell if you have power to the camera unit.

My assumption would be first a poor connection, second is water in somewhere and last one of the cables in the main cable is broken .
Tks for the reply, as well very good suggestions. When I push the power button to turn on the camera the red light goes on & the camera lights flash and 1-2 sec's later the blue screen appears. With the camera on, I push the light button (green appears) & the lights work both low & progressive to high beam, so I know power is going to the monitor & the camera head.

I did removed both the power & camera cable/connectors & with a tooth pick put a small amount of electronic anti-oxidant compound on each, this compound ensures you have a good conductivity, no success.

Cables look fine, I was fishin in my portable the camera sits on a old T.V table and I was in 12 FOW, but can't say for sure if the connection to or inside the camera head is secure. When I shake the camera head, something is rattling around inside which is the same as when I got the unit 2 years ago. Also, there's no condensation or moisture in the camera lens. I will be contacting Marcum (Mike) if he's still the guy and see what they can do for me.

It appears no one has experienced the blue screen of death before.... thanks all for your feedback.

Will post my update accordingly.

Z-Z

Old 01-12-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoretoys View Post
I had that happen to mine the first year I had it. It was water in the display. I checked the camera on my buddies and the camera worked but not on mine. I let it dry out a couple days and it has worked since. I just keep it in a case now when traveling on the lake to keep the snow out. Try to dry it near the register and see if incomes back.
Posted the above reply before I read your post .... had the unit in my furnace room for a few hours, but will give your suggestion a try ... greatly appreciated.

Z-Z

Old 01-12-2014, 09:06 PM

One more thing to check. Is your camera plugged into the right input? Screen says av1. Are you plugged into av2 on the back of the unit?

Or check your switch itself to see which av you're on.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
One more thing to check. Is your camera plugged into the right input? Screen says av1. Are you plugged into av2 on the back of the unit?

Or check your switch itself to see which av you're on.
Interesting ... there's only the one plug, I'm not aware of any other source or method to switch inputs/outputs ... will search the internet as previously suggested for any hits/solutions.

Z-Z

Old 01-13-2014, 09:18 AM

The only thing that I can think of is that a wire might be loose inside the screen enclosure. its not receiving a signal properly from the camera so it defaults to the blue screen. I'd imagine any tv repair shop should be able to fix it easily if your timid to crack open the display housing.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:31 AM

Anyone have a camera they can lend to troubleshoot?

LC
Old 01-13-2014, 09:52 AM

I have a marcum 825 black and white here in calgary. Your welcome to bring the unit over and try my display.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafhone View Post
I have a marcum 825 black and white here in calgary. Your welcome to bring the unit over and try my display.
Tks for the offer .... I spoke to Mike Mesch at Marcum he suggested it could be a board or the camera itself & gave me a R/A to send it in for repairs, it didn't sound like it would be covered under warranty they will be contacting me with a repair estimate prior to performing any work .... so off it goes to USA.

Z-Z

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 01-13-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Tks for the offer .... I spoke to Mike Mesch at Marcum he suggested it could be a board or the camera itself & gave me a R/A to send it in for repairs, it didn't sound like it would be covered under warranty they will be contacting me with a repair estimate prior to performing any work .... so off it goes to USA.

Z-Z
The Reel Doctor in Edmonton fixed my Aquaview, call them before you send yours acrosssthe border if its coming out of your pocket anyways

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-13-2014, 05:32 PM

hope it all works out good, and you get your camera back before the ice is off.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:24 PM

Brother in law got it. His was on warranty so just had to send it away for repair.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:38 PM

i bought the 625 a month a go used it about 4 times when i realized the screen quality was going way down. pulled the camera out of the water and saw that the camera lense was cracked on the inside. took it back to cabelas (500kms roundtrip) and they graciously let me return it in which i upgraded to the 825sd just last week. i get home and pull the camera out of the box and the lense on the camera is cracked just like the last one! never even got to use it... im pretty choked to say the least. i think they have some serious quality control issues down there....anyone have this problem?
Old 01-13-2014, 08:25 PM

I have Markum 380 as well and it has nothing showing on monitor either just nothing at all change batteries as well too , The Camera L.E.D. works, cant see any crack in camera lens phoned markum thinks the camera is pouched , not so sure Like to try my camera on another monitor but the 5 pin connection for the camera is hard to match to another monitor . Would like to save shipping it to Minnesota . The camera is $150
Old 01-13-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:

Z-Z
Box'd up my camera, went to the post office this afternoon, $29.00 later, it's gone to Marcum (Versa Electronics) in Minneapolis, Mike Mesch advised me they no longer have a Cdn service centre, he said he would notify me within 3 days of receipt with a solution & cost. Now I wait, fortunately, I still have my Aqua-View Scout as my back-up.

Will provide an update when they contact me .... I'm hoping they may offer an upgrade to the VS825SD for a marginal cost, I'd accept that!

Z-Z

Old 01-13-2014, 09:28 PM

They made you pay for shipping!???

I'd hold out for an LX-9...lol.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:11 PM

Got the following e-mail from Mike this morning, the "Blue Screen of Death" was a driver board for $45.00. He said it's the interface between the Sony camera & the monitor. I gave the O.K. my units being repaired & shipped from Minneapolis either today or tomorrow. I asked about upgrading to a newer model, he said ... n.o. - no, they don't do that. He also mentioned I get 1 year warranty on the entire camera, so that's comforting. Shipment via USPS so no brokerage or customs no duty fees when it gets delivered. I'll be watching my mail box in anticipation.

Z-Z

Hello, The unit needs a driver board. We need payment of $80 before we can make any repairs. (It’s $45 for the driver board and $35 for shipping.) Call us at 888-778-1208 to make that payment.

Thanks
Mike Mesch
Customer Service
MarCum Technologies
888-778-1208
service@marcumtech.com

Old 01-27-2014, 01:32 PM

I'll expect to see you sporting $80 worth of Marcum hats and hoodies next time we get out...lol.

Good news and warranty to boot.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Got the following e-mail from Mike this morning, the "Blue Screen of Death" was a driver board for $45.00. He said it's the interface between the Sony camera & the monitor. I gave the O.K. my units being repaired & shipped from Minneapolis either today or tomorrow. I asked about upgrading to a newer model, he said ... n.o. - no, they don't do that. He also mentioned I get 1 year warranty on the entire camera, so that's comforting. Shipment via USPS so no brokerage or customs no duty fees when it gets delivered. I'll be watching my mail box in anticipation.

Z-Z

Hello, The unit needs a driver board. We need payment of $80 before we can make any repairs. (It’s $45 for the driver board and $35 for shipping.) Call us at 888-778-1208 to make that payment.

Thanks
Mike Mesch
Customer Service
MarCum Technologies
888-778-1208
service@marcumtech.com

That's the same guy who always helps me too when I contact Marcum , good guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be