Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
Yep, not to mention it doesn't go back into fisheries
Why wouldn't it? I'd pay for, Fish cops, stocking programs, Conservation! We take take take. When there is nothing left to take, what will you take? When fishing is gone, then what? You going go sit by the river and have picnic. Say to your child, "I use to catch fish here, son" ya know? I'm 23 years old. I've fished AB since I was 3, I have a walleye I caught the spring I was about to turn 4, 9 lbs 6 oz out of pigeon mounted. My father didn't know no damn better. No one did. We all just kept taking and taking. But it is so obvious to me, how can you not all see how badly our fishing is? We have to lie to people about where we are fishing. Lake X, Lake Y. Why! there should be good fishing in every lake! with proper management. I really think it can be done.

Sammy Boy
Old 03-23-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depolloc View Post
Thank you Sam for restoring my faith that people here really do care. I voiced my opinion to the Enviro minister and got nowhere. You're an inspiration and I wish we had more people who would speak up. Keep going, don't let negativity bog you down, know you have supporters!
haha depolloc, way off topic. But I played Bantam AA hockey, when I was 14, when the new age change came in. I was 4'10" and 80 lbs. Everyone over looked me. But I had purpose on that team. I could get other players on opposing teams ralled up and draw penalties. Even at times guys on my own team would give me a hard time. But when I scored the GWG in over time in provincials to win the whole thing... Its never been about the size of the dog in the fight, ever.

I don't really care, what people say. I know lakes that no one fishes. Full of walleyes. That are closed and when they all open up. Last place you'll see me is on any lake that hasn't been closed. Then i'll tell someone and they'll go fishing there to instead of pigeon. I'll go to another one, and tell them all about it. Plenty of lakes, Plenty of fish. Just needs management

Sammy Boy
Old 03-23-2014, 09:19 PM

Please just give up your information and arguments are lacking to say the least. You just keep rambling on about keeping smaller fish it's ridiculous.

And for your comments on closed lakes having poor fishing look at wabuman it's fantastic BUT if you open like you said to take pressure off other lakes in no time it to would be a "poor" fishery. How about instead of keeping fish eat them from the store it's a lot cheaper then driving out to catch them so don't complain about there being no fish and all we do is take take take when you yourself feel the need to "take" fish instead of letting them go to enjoy another day that's the problem we are faced with is everyone being so focused on having to keep a fish it's getting old.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:25 PM
Banned

I do commend you on wanting to change and enhance our fisheries, they are in dire need of it. Actually our fisheries have been declining for many years, even before you were born. People as passionate as you about our fisheries have been lobbying for improvements to our fisheries since the late 80's, myself being one of them.

I have been a member of clubs and govt. committees over the past 24 or so years and can insure that other members and myself have offered every scenario possible, to try and enhance our fisheries, including raising funds ourselves to conduct studies.

The biologist know exactly what has to be done, the managers in SRD know what has to be done, and so does the govt. ministers responsible for our fisheries. Believe they KNOW. Your biggest challenge will be getting the govt. to commit to funding, not just short term, but long term funding for our fisheries. They will all be understanding and appreciative of your concern but they just will not commit funding for fisheries, I am sure they must have the worst record in Canada for this. I wish you the best of luck, you are going to need it.

Last edited by bobalong; 03-23-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:39 PM

“Gee, Joe Schmoe whats-his-face has gathered a bunch of anecdotal evidence from his 23 years on planet earth. He says we’re doing it all wrong. Can’t figure out what he’s suggesting exactly because he doesn’t really structure his thoughts or even punctuate properly. We better bring him in anyways to help inform policy and make things right.” Said no government minister. Ever.

If you want to be taken seriously by government decision makers, civil servants, and the public, you might want to bring your ideas forth a little more coherently and a little more constructively. It is fantastic that you are so passionate about our fisheries resources here in Alberta, but do you have any unbiased, reproducible data that speak to your concerns or data that support your proposed changes? Is your personal life experience representative of those of others? Are you sure? Are you certain you have all the facts straight?

People spend years learning how to generate viable, useable data that help us understand the world around us. Others spend decades learning how to make sense of such information, to understand what it means. Others spend similar amounts of time learning how to communicate ideas, even how to communicate ideas specifically to government. If your passion is genuine, I would encourage you to invest in a career path that will give you the tools that will allow you, on some level of your choosing, to effectively advocate for this province’s fishery. But, oh, I guess we know your thoughts on people with “expensive pieces of paper”.

In the interim, I wish you the best of luck in your efforts. Keep us posted on how your meeting goes.

Regards,

HK
Old 03-23-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf250xtom View Post
Please just give up your information and arguments are lacking to say the least. You just keep rambling on about keeping smaller fish it's ridiculous.

And for your comments on closed lakes having poor fishing look at wabuman it's fantastic BUT if you open like you said to take pressure off other lakes in no time it to would be a "poor" fishery. How about instead of keeping fish eat them from the store it's a lot cheaper then driving out to catch them so don't complain about there being no fish and all we do is take take take when you yourself feel the need to "take" fish instead of letting them go to enjoy another day that's the problem we are faced with is everyone being so focused on having to keep a fish it's getting old.

You must work in this industry somewhere to feel so threatened by my, we'll say "rambling". I'm going to keep rambling cause I'm a rambling man. I will see that my children catch and eat walleye out of Alberta's watersheds and you will not stop me.

Don't think I said anything about closed lakes having poor fishing. I want to see closed lakes, opened. To relieve fishing pressure on other lakes. The problem, is there is to many people like you happy to sit back and watch it all be flushed down the toilet. I sir, ma'm, am not ok with this. Father said to me "You're going to have to claw and scratch for everything you want in life. You'd better start now." I was starting my first job when I was 12. It stuck with me. I know what this provinces fisheries are capable of. You do not. If you did, you'd want to see change also. I don't buy any meat from the stores. I kill deer, moose, ducks, geese, wild chickens, and fish. It is how I was raised.

With proper management I think we can continue to take. But what we take must be proper. Sort of like moose hunting. I only draw for antlerless moose. My father explained when I was 14 and hunting for the first year. To look for a young cow, or a calf. After he said that to me. I felt sad. I didn't want to shoot a calf. It was a baby, it was so young. He explained to me, if you shoot the cow, there will be no one to watch her calf. She will be susceptible to predators, finding food and likely won't make the winter without the cow. When a cow stands up in your cross hairs, and two calves stand up behind her. You really, begin to think. Do I want one, or should three die? The decision was simple and I didn't feel bad, shoulders deep pulling out her wind pipe. The cow and other calf went on their way. Now Imagine killing that cow, and having her two calves just stand there watching me gut her out? There is ethical ways to harvest game. I don't think the way we harvest fish is ethical. But it will be, one day soon.

Sammy Boy
Old 03-23-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I do commend you on wanting to change and enhance our fisheries, they are in dire need of it. Actually our fisheries have been declining for many years, even before you were born. People as passionate as you about our fisheries have been lobbying for improvements to our fisheries since the late 80's, myself being one of them.

I have been a member of clubs and govt. committees over the past 24 or so years and can insure that other members and myself have offered every scenario possible, to try and enhance our fisheries, including raising funds ourselves to conduct studies.

The biologist know exactly what has to be done, the managers in SRD know what has to be done, and so does the govt. ministers responsible for our fisheries. Believe they KNOW. Your biggest challenge will be getting the govt. to commit to funding, not just short term, but long term funding for our fisheries. They will all be understanding and appreciative of your concern but they just will not commit funding for fisheries, I am sure they must have the worst record in Canada for this. I wish you the best of luck, you are going to need it.
thank you!

Sammy Boy
Old 03-23-2014, 09:53 PM

I commend you for your passion about our fisheries and how you want to make them better. But I think going at then with a rant might not be the best way to do so , ranting at them , And telling professionals there doing it wrong might not get the support you nee , and some lakes like pigeon have great whitefish foshong opportunities , just because there hard to find sometimes , they are still there . I have many lakes in alberta that hold amazing fishing . Anyhow I commend you for trying to make a difference in our fisheries ! Let us know how the meeting goes
Sincerely
Fish Ab
Old 03-24-2014, 07:46 AM

If everyone e-mails there concerns they WILL listen. Closing lakes with healthy populations is just making too many anglers go to other lakes and that's when they collapse from over fishing, just look at Traverse, now it's closed !! Last years minister Diana McQueen said Alberta anglers contribute $500 million to albertas economy !! More money needs to go towards stocking. There is no need to charge anglers more $ when we give plenty. Time for the Gov. to buck up !!
Old 03-24-2014, 07:56 AM

Another fine example of good management is Crawling Valleye. It was a fine pike fishery until they stocked it with rainbows. Those rainbows grew to over 10 lbs in 4 yrs, it was then a Great fishery ! Then they stocked it with walleye & stopped stocking rainbows then closed it for the retention of walleyes ?????? And it's still closed to walleyes when they said they would open when it became self sustainable, I've seen spawning in that lake for over 8 yrs now. Gov. needs to answer to these types of decisions. Make your voice heard !!
Old 03-24-2014, 08:36 AM

Here's another !! Lake McGregor was stocked with 37 million walleyes 18 yrs ago and as soon as they were catchable it was closed ? They also stocked whitefish there some 40 yrs ago and yes it was for commercial fishing. I used to catch lots of whitefish years ago but now not so many !! The commercial netting quotas are as follows !!! Oct 7- Nov 1 - 90,720 kg of whitefish - 1588 kg of pike - 550 kg of walleye !!! Why are they netting during the spawn ?? Why so many ? They can keep walleyes but I can't ? Were the walleyes stocked for anglers or commercial fishing ? Why not close whitefish every other year ? Another fine example of fisheries think tanks !!!
Old 03-24-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
Here's another !! Lake McGregor was stocked with 37 million walleyes 18 yrs ago and as soon as they were catchable it was closed ? They also stocked whitefish there some 40 yrs ago and yes it was for commercial fishing. I used to catch lots of whitefish years ago but now not so many !! The commercial netting quotas are as follows !!! Oct 7- Nov 1 - 90,720 kg of whitefish - 1588 kg of pike - 550 kg of walleye !!! Why are they netting during the spawn ?? Why so many ? They can keep walleyes but I can't ? Were the walleyes stocked for anglers or commercial fishing ? Why not close whitefish every other year ? Another fine example of fisheries think tanks !!!
When limits are set for pike and whitefish it is set very low to allow a certain amount of "by catch". Very few pike and walleye are caught in whitefish nets as per the design of the net. Be glad they are netting the whitefish, if they weren't the lake would likely be worse off. As for you not catching them, maybe change your fishing strategy and or techniques and you might be rewarded!
Old 03-24-2014, 09:05 AM

at least someone is trying to change things for the better... just a bunch or haters on this site.(except a few ppl}... reg changes need to be made before its too late. I would put my ideas on here if I actually thought it would not just fall on deaf ears. grow up and make this site a good thing not just a high school click.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:05 AM

I'm not the only one not catching them. C,mon man, 90,000 kg at spawn time. You can be pro gov all you want want but that is just dumb ! Where do all those fish go !! And I know about accidental catch quotas and how they work !! Why did the gov stock the lake and then close it forever !
Old 03-24-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiteeye View Post

I like the tag system. I hate how it is being used. Imagine you could buy two tags at the start of the spring for $50 ea. You could use this tag on any lake and is valid for a fish over 45cm.
ummmm..... the closest lakes to major citys like Edmonton and Calgary would be totally wiped out man!!!!!
Old 03-24-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
ummmm..... the closest lakes to major citys like Edmonton and Calgary would be totally wiped out man!!!!!
doubt it that tag price is way too high!

The lack of feathers must confuse some of them
Old 03-24-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Why wouldn't it? I'd pay for, Fish cops, stocking programs, Conservation! We take take take. When there is nothing left to take, what will you take? When fishing is gone, then what? You going go sit by the river and have picnic. Say to your child, "I use to catch fish here, son" ya know? I'm 23 years old. I've fished AB since I was 3, I have a walleye I caught the spring I was about to turn 4, 9 lbs 6 oz out of pigeon mounted. My father didn't know no damn better. No one did. We all just kept taking and taking. But it is so obvious to me, how can you not all see how badly our fishing is? We have to lie to people about where we are fishing. Lake X, Lake Y. Why! there should be good fishing in every lake! with proper management. I really think it can be done.

the fees don't go directly back into outdoor management, percentages do. all of our conservation of fishing is having the opposite effect and numbers do get lower.

what is your proposed ideas of management ? I think stocking anywhere isn't the way to do it, nature should be able to be self sustained having to stock anything shows something is very wrong! I have no desire for farmed fish ...re- open wabamun , rather eat from their

The lack of feathers must confuse some of them
Old 03-24-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy K View Post
“Gee, Joe Schmoe whats-his-face has gathered a bunch of anecdotal evidence from his 23 years on planet earth. He says we’re doing it all wrong. Can’t figure out what he’s suggesting exactly because he doesn’t really structure his thoughts or even punctuate properly. We better bring him in anyways to help inform policy and make things right.” Said no government minister. Ever.

If you want to be taken seriously by government decision makers, civil servants, and the public, you might want to bring your ideas forth a little more coherently and a little more constructively. It is fantastic that you are so passionate about our fisheries resources here in Alberta, but do you have any unbiased, reproducible data that speak to your concerns or data that support your proposed changes? Is your personal life experience representative of those of others? Are you sure? Are you certain you have all the facts straight?

People spend years learning how to generate viable, useable data that help us understand the world around us. Others spend decades learning how to make sense of such information, to understand what it means. Others spend similar amounts of time learning how to communicate ideas, even how to communicate ideas specifically to government. If your passion is genuine, I would encourage you to invest in a career path that will give you the tools that will allow you, on some level of your choosing, to effectively advocate for this province’s fishery. But, oh, I guess we know your thoughts on people with “expensive pieces of paper”.

Regards,

HK
X2.

I admire your passion, but you would do very well to read this post carefully and take it to heart.

Trust me when I tell you that your current approach will have the opposite affect that you're hoping for, it will close far more doors than it will open. If you came into a meeting with me with that approach, I would end the meeting in about five minutes, thank you for your time, and make a note to myself to ignore any future communication from you. People are not persuaded or motivated by rants and insults, they're persuaded by calm, rational and logical thought supported by research and facts. You need to go into that meeting with a lot more than your opinion and emotions if you want to be taken seriously and get positive results.

As for your ideas themselves, in my opinion, a slot limit is NOT the answer, and I would NOT support your efforts to have one introduced in Alberta. It is my opinion that opening up the lakes in southern AB to a slot size would decimate entire year classes and wipe out our fisheries within 3-5 years due to the VERY small percentage of fish that would survive the slot limit age classes to reproduce. Opening more lakes to harvest won't solve the problem either, it will simply spread the problem and create the same situation on all of our lakes.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:01 AM

I get fresh walleye shipped to me from a cold clear lake in northern sask.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:07 AM

Like you said, that's your opinion and every one is entitled to one ! IMO you are wrong ! Why not try a few lakes as pilot projects to find out for sure what works and what doesn't instead of opinions !!
Old 03-24-2014, 10:34 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
I've been nice. Everyone has. For a long time, people say their ideas. No one listens. So I'll start with a rant, get everyone's attention. Then explain how we all are going to fix this issue. I'm tired of bad fishing. I'm tired of someone in charge who really truly doesn't understand what their doing or the problems beneath the water. But because of a couple years in school and a piece of paper that states their qualified? Look at our fisheries man, that says it all right there. We've all been to nice for to long. I intend to fight for change! As result better fisheries. I hope they take offence to what I've said in my post. Because sincerely, I am genuinely torn up inside. I appreciate your input. And of course when the time comes, I know better. I will watch my p's and q's. I want to see lakes open for fishing. Many lakes have been closed a long time. That need to be opened to relieve the fishing pressure on other lakes. We have everything we need, except the right ideas. I want to hear yours.
The attention you seek starts off negative will more than likely end up not in your favour...but you never know, patience and tact will have a better outcome.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-24-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Like you said, that's your opinion and every one is entitled to one ! IMO you are wrong ! Why not try a few lakes as pilot projects to find out for sure what works and what doesn't instead of opinions !!
And IMO you are wrong!

If they closely monitor than maybe. If they don't, to much risk.

Not sure what area of the province you fish most. Appears to be the south.

Slots be dangerous without close monitoring, even more so when water is limited and pressure is high.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:26 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

So one guy wants the regs changed because he feels that they don't suit him... Ridiculous!!! Yes we need changes, but you don't speak for me as a angler and I will likely forward this to the Camrose MLA so he sees that you are speaking for yourself and not the average Albertan angler.

Your slot size idea would have several good walleye lakes such as Lac la nonne walleye free in what a year maybe two.

Maybe you should have the "average" anglers views before you try and speak on out behalf.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:20 PM

Quiteeye, I encourage you to proceed with your plan. I do not necessarily agree with everything you say but I am wise enough to know that unless someone or many, many someone's get out and make this a front page issue it will remain as it always has. I think you will fail to get the results you seek, it won't however be because of your approach, your ideas or your delivery. It will be because the answers are well known to the folks that make the decisions. There is simply no reason for them to stick their necks out as there is no concerted push from the public behind it. Fisheries are low priority to this government. They do not feel that it will get them any votes and that is all that counts. Having dealt with the government on a number of different issues I can speak with experience- if it ain't on the five o'clock news on several occasions a week it doesn't get any attention. If there is anyone here who actually believes that good ole JC himself could convince these guys to enact the changes they all know are required your dreaming in technicolor. Those of us who have endured years of government meetings for little or no benefit know the truth. No public pressure no results.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
And IMO you are wrong!

If they closely monitor than maybe. If they don't, to much risk.

Not sure what area of the province you fish most. Appears to be the south.

Slots be dangerous without close monitoring, even more so when water is limited and pressure is high.
A pilot project is a timed, monitored trial. Whether it be slot size, over/ under, stocking, less retention, zero retention, northern or southern. You can do multiple projects to see what works !!! You won't know if I'm wrong or right until after the trial periods, how can you assume failure before it's even looked at ??
Old 03-24-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass2mouth View Post
at least someone is trying to change things for the better... just a bunch or haters on this site.(except a few ppl}... reg changes need to be made before its too late. I would put my ideas on here if I actually thought it would not just fall on deaf ears. grow up and make this site a good thing not just a high school click.
Interesting first post...

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 03-24-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
A pilot project is a timed, monitored trial. Whether it be slot size, over/ under, stocking, less retention, zero retention, northern or southern. You can do multiple projects to see what works !!! You won't know if I'm wrong or right until after the trial periods, how can you assume failure before it's even looked at ??
I am not convinced that it will work. Or be worth risking a couple or more lakes unless it is closely monitored. Where will the money come from? Most areas are already underfunded!

And how do you justify more money for this, when education and healthcare are being cut?

With what they have, slots are dangerous!

When will people realize that fishing pressure is huge compared to your home province. The days of keeping a lot of fish are over!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
I am not convinced that it will work. Or be worth risking a couple or more lakes unless it is closely monitored. Where will the money come from? Most areas are already underfunded!

And how do you justify more money for this, when education and healthcare are being cut?

With what they have, slots are dangerous!

When will people realize that fishing pressure is huge compared to your home province. The days of keeping a lot of fish are over!
It's the truth.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:51 PM
Banned

sam, some of your ideas sound good if you have some scientific data to support what your saying. it seems like you are trying to make some positive changes, but.....
..you will never be taken seriously by swearing and calling people names
..i know first hand that the fishing in alberta is not as poor as you make it out to be
..like it or not, the reality of the world we live in means that people will still build homes or cottages near lakes, companies will still drill for oil and log the forests, etc. All these things and more contribute to adding pressure on our forests,rivers and lakes. can't travel back in time to when the settlers first arrived. add to man made pressures the odd algae bloom or winterkill and fishieries suffer more.
good luck in your future endevours to enhance our fisheries, but perhaps a little less ranting and more facts and logical rhetoric would help.
i can't help but think that if you do ever meet with someone in real authority they will smile, thank-you for your suggestions and forget about you once your out the door.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
It's the truth.
Agreed.