Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-03-2014, 08:25 AM

Default Can anyone identify this fish I caught in Mcgreggor?

I caught this thing a few years back from Mcgreggor Lake but not sure what it is. Anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1250.jpg (39.6 KB, 1314 views)
Old 06-03-2014, 08:26 AM

Rainbow trout.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:28 AM

Were you trolling?
Old 06-03-2014, 08:39 AM

Trouser Trout?
Old 06-03-2014, 08:46 AM
Banned

I'm no trout expert but that almost looks like a steelhead.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:48 AM

There are a few nice rainbows in Mcgregor as it is fed by the irrigation line which diverts water off the Bow river at Carseland. They are typically very fat if they are big enough to avoid the pike. I caught one in the ditch between Mcgregor and Travers many years back. I have not heard of any in Travers, but would assume there might be one or two...Nice chunky rainbow, by the way...
Old 06-03-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuanworm View Post
Rainbow trout.
x2

there used to be a few in there.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:51 AM

Wow quick responses thanks. I was fishing with smelt for Pike actually so was surprised to get this.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:16 AM

There is a section in the regs that covers fish ID. Please have another look at it.

I say this not to be rude, but fish ID is extremely important to us as anglers in helping with conservation. That fish you have there is probably the most prolific in Alberta. As a licensed angler there is no way that you should not be able to ID it.

I am hoping you are trolling though.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
There is a section in the regs that covers fish ID. Please have another look at it.

I say this not to be rude, but fish ID is extremely important to us as anglers in helping with conservation. That fish you have there is probably the most prolific in Alberta. As a licensed angler there is no way that you should not be able to ID it.

X2.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:

Disagree. If he plans on releasing all the fish he catches, then who cares.....If he is able to identify the specie he plans on keeping, then anything else doesn't matter. This is not hunting where once the triggers pulled its all over.....
Old 06-03-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Were you trolling?
Your post almost resulted in a choking incident, as I inhaled my lunch.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:05 PM

rainbow trout i caught a couple nice ones there

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 06-03-2014, 01:27 PM

Nice rainbow!
Old 06-03-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:

I completely agree with this. Even though you may be catching and releasing, it is your responsibility to know what you are catching.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:53 PM

Rainbows pass through Mcgregor to Travers to Little Bow to Badger
Old 06-03-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacenbeers View Post
I completely agree with this. Even though you may be catching and releasing, it is your responsibility to know what you are catching.
Just for sake of discussion, why is there a responsibility to know what type of fish if you're releasing? I don't think there are any fish you're not allowed to catch, is there?

Cheers
Old 06-03-2014, 03:28 PM

First of all thank you to the people that answered my question, didn't expect some of the negativity from others so here's a couple points for you:
1) I did check the reg pics and just didn't really match the picture of rainbow trout, so figured I would seek confirmation on a forum that I imagined would be a reasonable place to do so. The picture in the regs is not a dead ringer for this fish, but obviously there would be some that would argue it is-my bad.
2) I did Catch and Release and am always aware of what I am fishing for and in the case I wasnt sure and wanted to keep it I would obviously put it back. All info I have ever seen regarding Mcgreggor does not list Rainbows as being in the lake-my bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sportfish-RainbowTrout.jpg (19.6 KB, 81 views)
Old 06-03-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacenbeers View Post
Why? Does the fishes head explode if a person can not identify it? If it does, I totally agree with you.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamilton View Post
First of all thank you to the people that answered my question, didn't expect some of the negativity from others so here's a couple points for you:
1) I did check the reg pics and just didn't really match the picture of rainbow trout, so figured I would seek confirmation on a forum that I imagined would be a reasonable place to do so. The picture in the regs is not a dead ringer for this fish, but obviously there would be some that would argue it is-my bad.
2) I did Catch and Release and am always aware of what I am fishing for and in the case I wasnt sure and wanted to keep it I would obviously put it back. All info I have ever seen regarding Mcgreggor does not list Rainbows as being in the lake-my bad.
Don't feel bad,, I think you were more asking what type of rainbow or trout. some bows are like chromies and others are that truer athabascan coloured rainbow.

If you had said you thought you caught a behemoth 6 lb sculpin with a spikey dorsal fin and rough skin, that would garner a completely different response from me.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
Why?
it helps when a guy fishing beside you asks you what he just caught and if he can keep it, not that it's our duty to inform but it sure helps with stewardship.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
it helps when a guy fishing beside you asks you what he just caught and if he can keep it, not that it's our duty to inform but it sure helps with stewardship.
yes. of course.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
yes. of course.
true story, argued with a guy keeping a walleye with his insistence that it was a perch at Macgregor. I even pointed out the sign post with a picture. what can you do?
Old 06-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Banned

Cool

You are all wrong, rainbow is a common name as is kamloops and silver trout. Oncorhychus mykiss is the correct name smart aces. So dont got correcting with the wrong info. If one was targeting pike(esox) for harvest why would one need to be able to identify golden trout.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
My apologies. I never said it to be rude. In fact I thought I was polite about it.

Here's a tip for you in the future. Don't go just by the picture. Go by the description. Where the spots are, their concentration locations, any black markings, tail fork shape etc.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
You are all wrong, rainbow is a common name as is kamloops and silver trout. Oncorhychus mykiss is the correct name smart aces. So dont got correcting with the wrong info. If one was targeting pike(esox) for harvest why would one need to be able to identify golden trout.
so your answer to him is?
Old 06-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
so your answer to him is?
Right there in latin .
Old 06-03-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Right there in latin .
you really say the latin version when commending them on a catch?
vos enim non dicit verum!
Old 06-03-2014, 04:02 PM

Beauty rainbow trout. Congrats!
Old 06-03-2014, 04:10 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Not your bad just you are out fishing and the rest are working...envy!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...