Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-03-2014, 04:18 PM

I caught one of these chrome rainbows too, bow river.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:21 PM

If you are ever out and can't id a fish....

Google goggles is an app for the phone that has you take a picture of the item or creature with your phone, upload it to google goggles and the thing/creature in your picture will be identified in minutes or hours, depending how obscure. Pretty cool app for identifying things.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-03-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
If you are ever out and can't id a fish....

Google goggles is an app for the phone that has you take a picture of the item or creature with your phone, upload it to google goggles and the thing/creature in your picture will be identified in minutes or hours, depending how obscure. Pretty cool app for identifying things.
I tried the app but I think it's broken because the answer keeps coming up as coktail weiner
Old 06-03-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamilton View Post
I caught this thing a few years back from Mcgreggor Lake but not sure what it is. Anyone?
You caught a trout a few years back and still didn't know what it was? Amazing!

LC
Old 06-03-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
First of all thank you to the people that answered my question, didn't expect some of the negativity from others so here's a couple points for you:
1) I did check the reg pics and just didn't really match the picture of rainbow trout, so figured I would seek confirmation on a forum that I imagined would be a reasonable place to do so. The picture in the regs is not a dead ringer for this fish, but obviously there would be some that would argue it is-my bad.
2) I did Catch and Release and am always aware of what I am fishing for and in the case I wasnt sure and wanted to keep it I would obviously put it back. All info I have ever seen regarding Mcgreggor does not list Rainbows as being in the lake-my bad.
and by x2 ing, i am no way being negative towards your post. Beauty Bow BTW. But people will give it too you for all kinds of things on this forum.. Handling Techniques, Being a Bait Fisherman, Being a Elitist Fly Fisherman, Barbed Vs Barbless. Or even not being up to speed with the Regs. or Limits & Closures etc. Some are a lot more justified than others...lol. So even though you are not Required to Know the Species you are fishing for, fish ID is kind of a big part of fishing, even when its not your target species. But that being said i wouldn't ever hesitate to post a question on here, but sometimes doing a little research beforehand can save the negative comments! it is a public forum and everyone is free to chime in! Try not to take it to heart too much. Good luck for the rest of the season and welcome to the Forum!
Old 06-03-2014, 08:04 PM

rainbow trout
Old 06-03-2014, 10:04 PM

So much for someone asking a simple question and getting the simple answer, ive always been a believer if you don't know ask........i'm guessing you asked just because you said rainbows were not listed in the regs and maybe thought it meant if its not listed it doesn't exist in there....maybe possibly........well welcome to the bickering regardless LOL
Old 06-04-2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:
I caught this thing a few years back from Mcgreggor Lake but not sure what it is. Anyone?
Lol you caught this three years ago and still can't identify.i Guess my question is for you op get real your tellin me you live we're exactly,haha were does anybody not no what a rainbow trout is from school witch we learn to the grocery store but advanced enough to figure out to buy a win# and purchase a fishing licence and the now how to talk to people to have any clue on witch gear and tackle to buy to pull this feat off you are joking right.it is your responsibility as an angler to read regulations as to species identification catch and release or not to no regulations,bait bans,when you are allowed to fish or not pending season closures,how many hooks at one time on same line,one fishing rod or more lol give me a bloody break people catch and release or not on species pending its our responsibilit to read regulations and If species identification was missed then he has missed every rule in the regulations get bloody real here people.identification on rainbow trout we all learn as adolescents weather we are fisherman or not
Old 06-04-2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret coulee View Post
Lol you caught this three years ago and still can't identify.i Guess my question is for you op get real your tellin me you live we're exactly,haha were does anybody not no what a rainbow trout is from school witch we learn to the grocery store but advanced enough to figure out to buy a win# and purchase a fishing licence and the now how to talk to people to have any clue on witch gear and tackle to buy to pull this feat off you are joking right.it is your responsibility as an angler to read regulations as to species identification catch and release or not to no regulations,bait bans,when you are allowed to fish or not pending season closures,how many hooks at one time on same line,one fishing rod or more lol give me a bloody break people catch and release or not on species pending its our responsibilit to read regulations and If species identification was missed then he has missed every rule in the regulations get bloody real here people.identification on rainbow trout we all learn as adolescents weather we are fisherman or not
stop being the fool.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:44 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
Disagree. If he plans on releasing all the fish he catches, then who cares.....If he is able to identify the specie he plans on keeping, then anything else doesn't matter. This is not hunting where once the triggers pulled its all over.....
Nicely put.

Spawn.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Yes I have been staying up unable to sleep for three years because I couldn't identify this. I just found the picture and wanted to confirm what it was, as it did not look exactly like any I have seen or figured to catch there, maybe if you had actually read the previous posts you would have noticed that. Maybe you should go back to grammar school if you want to lecture me on fish identification.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:46 AM

Welcome to the forum.
I think the majority of us here realize you had a legitimate question and were happy to answer you.
Don't let the few fish ID professors on here get you upset.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:56 AM
Banned

Seems you are trying to educate yourself on fish ID. That is to be commended not frowned upon. It takes time to get all the specifics. And I agree don't concern yourself with the so called nutty professor's giving you a hard time who think they are so smart. Give it a rest.
You are doing the right thing as far as I can tell. We all had to learn from ground level.
But maybe a pic from a few years ago is a little slow on the draw.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:

Wow there is not enough grammar police or time to fix this one........lol

Nice rainbow

Mack
Old 06-04-2014, 08:57 AM

Nice rainbow man .... We've caught dozens there that big or bigger... The small ones don't last long there... Pike eat em up pretty quick

What's with you elitist's and this idea of having to know every species to wet a line
Old 06-04-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Wow there is not enough grammar police or time to fix this one........lol

Nice rainbow

Mack
Lol.. X2 SC.. Noticed this on my thread as well.. I hope you breath when you are talking.. That comment is almost not understandable... Lol
Old 06-04-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnafterwork View Post
Nice rainbow man .... We've caught dozens there that big or bigger... The small ones don't last long there... Pike eat em up pretty quick

What's with you elitist's and this idea of having to know every species to wet a line
The reason I commented about the fact that people should know what they are catching is based on a number of recent experiences. I have been out a lot over the last few months and on many occasions I have come across people keeping everything they catch without even knowing what they are keeping. For example, I was fishing with some forum members at one of my favorite spots and nearby a group was catching walleye and putting them in a live well that they had in the water on shore. I shouted across the stream at them that they cannot keep walleye in that body of water and the guys a) had no idea what the regulations were and b) had no idea that they were catching walleye. They just thought that a fish is a fish and should be eaten despite the rules about species. This year I have come across this situation so many times that it has been shocking. I was at Glenmore and a guy was keeping fish and didnt even have a clue what the species was. He said to me, "I caught a big rainbow trout." I looked at the fish and it was clearly a brown trout. He was lucky that the rules did not discriminate between the types of trout he could catch and keep but clearly he had no clue what he was keeping. That is why I think it is important to know what you are catching.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:20 PM

Nice Rainbow!
Nuff said.

Dodger
Old 06-04-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacenbeers View Post
The reason I commented about the fact that people should know what they are catching is based on a number of recent experiences. I have been out a lot over the last few months and on many occasions I have come across people keeping everything they catch without even knowing what they are keeping. For example, I was fishing with some forum members at one of my favorite spots and nearby a group was catching walleye and putting them in a live well that they had in the water on shore. I shouted across the stream at them that they cannot keep walleye in that body of water and the guys a) had no idea what the regulations were and b) had no idea that they were catching walleye. They just thought that a fish is a fish and should be eaten despite the rules about species. This year I have come across this situation so many times that it has been shocking. I was at Glenmore and a guy was keeping fish and didnt even have a clue what the species was. He said to me, "I caught a big rainbow trout." I looked at the fish and it was clearly a brown trout. He was lucky that the rules did not discriminate between the types of trout he could catch and keep but clearly he had no clue what he was keeping. That is why I think it is important to know what you are catching.
once again..... its not important to know what your catching.
It is important to know what your keeping.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
once again..... its not important to know what your catching.
It is important to know what your keeping.
This is true in Alberta!

LC
Old 06-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Banned

Is that fish photo-shopped?
Old 06-04-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
This is true in Alberta!

LC

Is there somewhere in particular its not true? with what species?
Old 06-04-2014, 06:57 PM

Nice rainbow ! If you know when and where there is actually a bunch of bows in there, my buddy also caught a brown about 3 yrs ago,that was a surprise. And yes it was a brown trout !! Lol
Old 06-04-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnafterwork View Post
Is there somewhere in particular its not true? with what species?
Certain provinces you cannot target a fish species if the season is closed....so if only crappie are open you cannot chuck large floating plugs for Muskie if Muskie is closed....you can actually be charged for fishing out of season.

Crazy (to an Albertan) but true! If you fish for crappie and catch a musky it's okay.....but you obviously have to release it.

LC
Old 06-04-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Certain provinces you cannot target a fish species if the season is closed....so if only crappie are open you cannot chuck large floating plugs for Muskie if Muskie is closed....you can actually be charged for fishing out of season.

Crazy (to an Albertan) but true! If you fish for crappie and catch a musky it's okay.....but you obviously have to release it.

LC

Not crazy to me.... I thought you were referring to targeting sturgeon in parts of bc.... Kinda hard to target a big white and play it off as incidental haha
Old 06-04-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:

LC
So on Cold Lake i could go fish for Walleye in 100' of water with a Cold Lake Special while the Lake Trout are spawning? Sounds crazy to me! Im pretty sure you would get Nailed..
Old 06-04-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tight line View Post
So on Cold Lake i could go fish for Walleye in 100' of water with a Cold Lake Special while the Lake Trout are spawning? Sounds crazy to me! Im pretty sure you would get Nailed..
lakers spawn in 100 plus feet of water? intetesting....
Old 06-04-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
you could, but it wouldnt be ethical.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
lakers spawn in 100 plus feet of water? intetesting....
Where they spawn has nothing to do with it..are you telling me they 100% swim in shallow and stay there? Im not even sure if you would get nailed for fishing for them during the closure.. But is it Ethical/acceptable
Old 06-04-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Where they spawn has nothing to do with it..are you telling me they 100% swim in shallow and stay there? Im not even sure if you would get nailed for fishing for them during the closure.. But is it Ethical/acceptable
I agree with you, just saying your example wasnt very good. Thats all.