Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-14-2016, 09:46 AM

Default Recurve suggestions

I have been looking at getting into archery so that I have a full years worth of practice and some before next September.
Having shot mostly recurve when I was younger and a couple of buddies compounds more recently. I feel I would enjoy the recurve more as an experience for hunting. For those that have recurve which brands /models do you suggest that still have the capability to attach a pin site? Which local shops(Edmonton area) do you suggest that have a good selection of options?
Is there any used models or brands I should look for specifically?
Any other advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Homes Outside
Old 04-14-2016, 08:49 PM

Check out Git-R-done archery. The Bearpaw bows are awesome.
I have a penthalon.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:41 AM

I have a Hoyt Buffalo, and really enjoy shooting it. It does not have the ability to put a sight on. The Gamemaster 2 does have the ability to put a sight and rest on. It is also a takedown model. You might find that once you start messing around with recurve that you may want to forgo the sight and just shoot.

Norm
Old 04-15-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDan View Post
Check out Git-R-done archery. The Bearpaw bows are awesome.
I have a penthalon.
X2 ..Lifetime Warrenty also...

Neil
Old 04-16-2016, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
X2 ..Lifetime Warrenty also...

Neil
The Bearpaw Penthalon line is not lifetime, the Bodnik line from Bearpaw is 30 years, and 100% and transfers to any owners after you at no extra charge, and no paperwork / registrations. Warranty is all tracked by serial # , no matter how many times it is sold. These are good bows reasonably priced.

You will find a lot of reviews of Trad bows on my site , www.peteward.com .
Old 04-16-2016, 08:55 AM

Recurves are amazingly fun ... but unless you're going to get into target stuff ... forget about the sight and go instinctive ... much more fun and much more effective in hunting situations ... there are many great custom recurves to choose from ... i ended up going with a Taiga takedown from http://cari-bow.com/ .... fantastic workmanship (he was a finishing carpenter before becoming a full-time bowyer) ... i love the bow.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:08 AM

Default Recurves

Depends what you want to spend, you can start at $150.00 and up and way up from there. Finding a used bow has some appeal to me if its in good condition you'll have no problems. There's lots of bow makers in Alberta if you want something made especially for you. Factory bows that come to mind (that I'd buy) Martin Savannah (longbow), anything from black widow (overpriced though), caribow (Abe makes a good bow), Jerry Haley of Lynx Creek archery lifetime warranty!), Tucker Grose in black diamond makes a very nice bow.

Shoot it before you buy
Old 04-16-2016, 06:06 PM

Well my cousin took me off to Jim bows archery in Edmonton. Staff was helpful though they are definitely geared towards the compound shooters. The fellow behind the counter(Dave I think) was awesome enough to set up a couple of recurve bows they had a beginner and mid model pse. He also let me try a compound that my cousin suggested. Needless to say I proved to myself that I should stick to recurve. Compound I don't think I was closer than 12 inch spread(too much going on with the bow for me to focus)
Recurve was significantly better.
Petew thanks for the link to your site have spent some time browsing around it. Are there any trad orientated shops in Edmonton you would suggest going to? Thanks so much.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:13 PM

Trophy Book in Spruce Grove has a good selection of Trad bows, and also sell the Bearpaw/Bodnik bows.
The Slick Stick is a real bargain , worth looking at.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:22 AM

I've had a PSE Coyote for about 17 years. I think they still make them...You can put rests and sights on the Coyote. I enjoy shooting it, but have never used sights.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:50 PM

Default Bows in Alberta

Check out "Joey's Traditional Archery" he is in Alberta and makes a really nice bow for a decent price. I have seen a couple of his bows at our club in BC, very nice.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeP View Post
Check out "Joey's Traditional Archery" he is in Alberta and makes a really nice bow for a decent price. I have seen a couple of his bows at our club in BC, very nice.
Joe definitely makes a good custom.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:55 PM

I got a couple of pretty cool vintage bows off ebay that shoot nice. One is a bear and the other was a Ben pearson. Landed them each for about $150, that was last year with better exchange. I now own a 1966 Polar bear 40# and a 1969 Bear Kodiak Hunter. If you take your time you can get a great bow for a great price.