Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezso View Post
This is what I’m suspecting, something limiting the engine!
Brake in periods 20hr but should I just idle it for 20hr lol
Going easy with it is different than can’t use it at all. My 2006 Honda did no needed brake in period and just sold it on Thursday, still working fine, 14’ 3 person and gears 23kmh/15mph, myself without gears (battery and fuel tank included of course) 30kmh

That’s a question for the dealer I guess. I’ve never broke in a Yamaha although my buddy just got one two days ago on his new boat so in a week I’ll probably be able to ask him how it went.

Here’s what the web says although it doesn’t mention being electronically limited. I know when I broke in crotch rockets they were electronically limited.

Old 06-20-2020, 03:57 PM

Maybe try throwing on a Doel Fin. It’s those stabilizer fins for the bottom of the leg. I never read all the comments so not sure if it was mentioned.
Grew up with a 17ft Blue Fin aluminum rated for a 90hp. Dad had a 115 Mariner on it with a Doelfin. It got out of the hole fast and went like a raped ape. The good old days..
Old 06-20-2020, 05:39 PM

I have a Lund Angler 1700 tiller with a 60hp. Little lighter Of a boat but with 4 batteries; 4hp kicker; bow mount and enough gear on board to open a tackle shop; I’ve never had an issue getting on plane. Runs at 27 mph consistently.

I suspect when you finish the break in period; get the engine running at the proper RPM and find the sweet spot for the weight balance; should be able to get on plane... won’t be quick but should be able to make it happen. Of course a bigger motor would be best.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Cool

I don’t have the boat, I toke it back this morning and either they find the problem and fixing it or I back off.
I don’t have an arsenal of props laying around to keep swapping it.
Don’t have a bigger engine in the garage.
Listening to everyone post here, what I wanted to achieve is a testimony from others that I got screwed by sales 😀 or the configuration/setup is incorrect.
Did you inform the dealer of your intended use before selecting a boat and engine to see if that package was suitable? Or did you choose the boat/motor package yourself?
Old 06-20-2020, 06:01 PM

Yup, let it break in.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Did you inform the dealer of your intended use before selecting a boat and engine to see if that package was suitable? Or did you choose the boat/motor package yourself?
It’s a prebuilt package, dropped from $39k to $29k I was there to buy something else
Spoke with 2 salesman on multiple occasion mentioning about my underpowered small boat. Most time 2 of us fish only.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
That’s a question for the dealer I guess. I’ve never broke in a Yamaha although my buddy just got one two days ago on his new boat so in a week I’ll probably be able to ask him how it went.

Here’s what the web says although it doesn’t mention being electronically limited. I know when I broke in crotch rockets they were electronically limited.

1 hour brake in was done, 4 hour in progress.
Neither the dealership knows or any online resources talks about RPM limits before break in period. That would be awesome if that’s all.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
It’s a 1650 Rebel XL Sport 965lb vs 1140lb Smoker Craft
Lund max load capacity 825lb total 1790lb Smoker Craft 700lb total 1840, 50LB difference and my boat have 10HP more. Livewell was empty, 4 fishing rod and a small tackle box. My friend weighs more then my kids together and his boat work fine with the 50HP Yamaha
My top speed is under 10MPH ��
I’m getting limited to 4000RMP and there is a bunch of disturbed water behind the engine, I think the prop is bad or the height not setup correctly.
https://youtu.be/fVrknQ98Yd8
You should get 10 mph with a 9.9 you have a problem. I didnt follow the tag on my boat, I have a 90 on it and it says max 75 but the motors weigh the same, I have a 1600 pro angler dlx lund and that thing with two people, 3 batteries gear and 16 gallons of fuel is on plane in about 3 boat lengths, you do have something wrong
Old 06-20-2020, 09:10 PM

Maybe you just simply got a lemon! Dealership should do something.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:39 PM

Looks like you are cavitating to me and that can happen if you are underpowered.

If the boat won't get out of the hole 10mph isn't a surprise. I hope for your sake it is something simple like the motor being rpm limited or the motor height being wrong but I doubt that is the case. I would bet money that if you go out on it by yourself that once you are out of the hole and getting on to plane the rpm's will climb to what they should be at w.o.t.

Really hope it is something simple but if the dealer doesn't find anything I'd start by going out by yourself first and than start adding weight until you find where you aren't able to plane anymore.

After that drop a pitch or two on the prop, I wouldn't worry so much about going to stainless at this point until you figure out if you can get what you want out of adjusting the pitch. Prop masters out of Airdrie would be able to hook you up or if you know what you need it can be had online cheaper. I just ordered a new Solas for a Honda out of Kimpex and it seemed to be the best deal I could find when shipping costs are factored in.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:01 PM

I'm with the OP on this one. He's buying new. He's at the spot that should at least know the product line. Last pickup I bought an older sales guy was very careful not to misrepresent the truck I bought. I'd be back at the dealers, & the money would be back in my account.

To the OP, I wouldn't spend any more time on this boat, the problem(whatever it is) means the boat will let you down when you need it, like a sudden big storm. Good luck!
Old 06-20-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
It’s a prebuilt package, dropped from $39k to $29k I was there to buy something else
Spoke with 2 salesman on multiple occasion mentioning about my underpowered small boat. Most time 2 of us fish only.
But did you explain that you needed a boat that could handle four adults? Or did you just choose that package because of the price reduction, without discussing your needs with the dealer?
Old 06-20-2020, 10:40 PM

1992 16' Smokercraft Alaskan with a 15 Honda, 21 mph and with a Sharkfin will get up on plane with 350Lbs passenger's, 25 ltr's of gas in the front of the boat, Might have to reset how far prop is from the boat????? might be plowing water???
Old 06-20-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Going easy with it is different than can’t use it at all. My 2006 Honda did no needed brake in period and just sold it on Thursday, still working fine, 14’ 3 person and gears 23kmh/15mph, myself without gears (battery and fuel tank included of course) 30kmh
I'm not going to rag on you but...
In the first hour of operation, you should not exceed 1500 rpm. Then for the next hour, you can step it up to a max. 3000 rpm varying it between that and 1500. Next hour, Up to 4000 again varying the rpm. After that you should be able to pin it. Looking at your video, you have the leg set too bar back (hence the backwash) which lifts the bow up and stymies getting onto plane.
You never broke the Honda in because the dealership probably tank broke it in for you.
Yamaha s the best engine out there.

Nora Loreto 6:49 PM 8 Apr. 2018
Old 06-20-2020, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishpah View Post
I'm not going to rag on you but...
In the first hour of operation, you should not exceed 1500 rpm. Then for the next hour, you can step it up to a max. 3000 rpm varying it between that and 1500. Next hour, Up to 4000 again varying the rpm. After that you should be able to pin it. Looking at your video, you have the leg set too bar back (hence the backwash) which lifts the bow up and stymies getting onto plane.
You never broke the Honda in because the dealership probably tank broke it in for you.
Yamaha s the best engine out there.
It was on the house for 30min just above idle.
Idled at the boat launch for a good 20min than boated around the bay for at least another 20min while parked my truck, cruised out of the bay to open water than attempted to accelerate but couldn’t get up on plain. Boated back to the bay and spent another 30min trying to figure out the problem. Finally put it back on the trailer.
At the dealership this morning engine sounded great, they did a few basic test but no mechanic available today so we need to wait for Monday.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:53 PM
Banned

Hate to ask this but was the tilt bottomed out? I have a fiberglass 16ft 60 hp motor with 4 adults or planes out nice than I lift my motor up alittle to take the tail drag away so it goes faster, I just took at legend 17ft with a 90hp for a drive and with 4 adults it was gutless compared to my 60hp
Old 06-21-2020, 01:28 AM

The motor should be able to put that boat up on plain. Looking at the prop wash it would indicate the motor trim is incorrect, shaft size is wrong, prop is wrong or a combination of any or a three.
The motor wont be able to get you up to 30mph, but you should be able to get up on plain and hit 15-20

When you find out the issue let us know.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
If the boat won't get out of the hole 10mph isn't a surprise. I would bet money that if you go out on it by yourself that once you are out of the hole and getting on to plane the rpm's will climb to what they should be at w.o.t.
In regard to my question of why he’s only achieving 4K rpm this makes sense. I’ve never had this problem and didn’t think very hard about it. Now that you feathered it out I believe that’s the correct answer.

I also just watched the video and it appears the motors may be to low but I’m used to extra long shaft engines and the way they look on a transom so I could be incorrect. I would like to see a pic of the boat from the rear or quartering on to see how that outboard is set up.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:33 AM

I just had a look at your video, how many people on board two or four ?, all your weight is in the rear half of the boat, look like outboard is trimmed too far back,
Small boat underpowered, take it out with one other person, and have a play with trim and weight distribution.
My 17 foot Lund with a 115 hp, was very noticeable difference getting on plane, if three, were in the back seats, verse one moved up into the front,
A set of stabilizer fins, on the outboard will likely help lots, as well as a look at prop and trim height, sumthing doesn't appear right looking at your video, lots while airated water
My small boat in NZ, I fitted a set of stabilizers fins, and it changed the miminum plane speed, from 32 km, down to holding on plane at 20 km.
Hopefully you can get it sorted out,
Old 06-21-2020, 06:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Get a prop with a lower pitch. It will reduce top speed a bit with one or two people, but it will plane. That being said, I went with a 75 on my 16' Lund, because I like to go with the largest engine the boat is rated for.
Yup.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-21-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
In regard to my question of why he’s only achieving 4K rpm this makes sense. I’ve never had this problem and didn’t think very hard about it. Now that you feathered it out I believe that’s the correct answer.

I also just watched the video and it appears the motors may be to low but I’m used to extra long shaft engines and the way they look on a transom so I could be incorrect. I would like to see a pic of the boat from the rear or quartering on to see how that outboard is set up.
It could possibly be to low and that would definitely cause issues. A person would hope that the dealer or whoever rigged it would get this right, which is why I have my doubts. Would be a pretty easy fix though and great if that's the case.

Hope it's something simple and also hope that the dealer does right trying to take care of Dezso, ex. if propping is a possible solution it shouldn't be to much to ask for a couple different to try.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Purchased a new boat from a local dealership.
16’x93” with 60HP outbound.
Yesterday after 2hr taking it home we hit Wabamun.
4 person (2 young adults, 2 adults not overweight) we can’t get it up on plain, not my first boat and fished with lots of friends with 16’ 50-60HP their boat with 4 person got up on plain just fine even if toke a bit longer 10-15s
Toke it back to the dealership today morning and one of the first things I got is I have to much expectation or need a bigger engine.
A 16’ with 60HP 4 person will never go up on plain they say.
Anyone can back me up or I’m screwed ☹️
What can I do, how to resolve it, what legal right I have ?
Thanks

Dezso
Seems like the shadiest deal ever, you would think the dealer would mention that it wouldn’t plane and suggest a bigger motor. Likely though you probably just need to change the prop to a lower pitch or even a prop with more or less blades. That should be free of charge in my opinion .

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 06-21-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunterPro View Post
Seems like the shadiest deal ever, you would think the dealer would mention that it wouldn’t plane and suggest a bigger motor. Likely though you probably just need to change the prop to a lower pitch or even a prop with more or less blades. That should be free of charge in my opinion .
Agree.

I am genuinely curious if this "package" came from "the south side and Red Deer" dealer (no remain nameless as a sponsor) or Ship Wreck - both are well known to offer under powered packages, attractive financing and their refusal to admit there is an issue with their set ups and/or boat/motor matches.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:17 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but which boat dealers in Edmonton are recommended and which ones to avoid?
Old 06-21-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but which boat dealers in Edmonton are recommended and which ones to avoid?
For Service work, Supreme Boat and Sled on highway 37 just East of highway 2. About 6 miles north of St Albert. He was the Warrior dealer till just recently. Knows his stuff when it comes to setting up and working on boats. Do not know what other makes of boats he carries.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:35 PM

You can also try to level your boat out with the weight in the boat, have extra people go up to the front of the boat.

Was your leg down all the way? Was there a bar stopping it from lowering even more?
Old 06-21-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
All engines need to be broken in properly which means changing your revs as you go up and down but not full throttle for a while......I have two Hondas and a Yamaha presently and have had others in the past over the last 45 years..... they all required break-in....... Read your book of words from Yamaha..... its in there..... I run a 16 foot Fishrite with a 50/35 Honda Jet and have not issues getting up on step with 4 people I also have a 16 ft Lake Jon with a 40/30 Yamaha Jet and also have no issues with 3 people getting on step instantly...... maybe its how you have your weight balanced in the boat
Old 06-21-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
My brother has had really good luck with the shop out in Gibbons
Old 06-21-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoretrout View Post
All engines need to be broken in properly which means changing your revs as you go up and down but not full throttle for a while......I have two Hondas and a Yamaha presently and have had others in the past over the last 45 years..... they all required break-in....... Read your book of words from Yamaha..... its in there..... I run a 16 foot Fishrite with a 50/35 Honda Jet and have not issues getting up on step with 4 people I also have a 16 ft Lake Jon with a 40/30 Yamaha Jet and also have no issues with 3 people getting on step instantly...... maybe its how you have your weight balanced in the boat
I agree that you need to break in the boat motor, but even if you don't, and even at 2/3 throttle, that boat should be able to easily come up on plane and stay there. Even if you fail to trim the boat motor while running (at minus 4 degrees and up to 8+ degrees positive) that boat should be able to easily get up.

The video shows the boat plowing. This boat is clearly under powered when loaded. Most quality boats of that size, configuration and weight have a MINIMUM horsepower rating from 75-90 hp. A 60 is far below the power you require to properly use that boat as a boat is meant to be used.

The OP can pitch down the prop, set up the cavitation plate/hull alignment, distribute the weight, add hydrofoils and do all that to get it up on plane when loaded BUT, let's be honest, the simple bottom line is you should not EVER have to do that with a boat sold by a reputable dealer ..... EVER.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:29 PM

I see many good points, wasn’t expecting this for first experience.
Many friends with 16’ boat various brand all have 60HP OR LESS
I would entertain the idea of 70HP if reasonable price but the dealership said they don’t offer engine swap on a factory preconfigured boats.
60 Yamaha same (or extremely close) to the 90HP Mercury engine.

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/en/water...-power/f60/F60

https://www.albernipowermarine.com/p...-fourstroke-01

Tags
60hp, boat, outboard, troubles