Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2020, 05:51 PM

The obvious point that I only saw mention once is how badly this boat is being overloaded. It is dangerous to go over the rated weight allowance by almost 50%. Someone was sleeping when the purchase was made.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-21-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
The obvious point that I only saw mention once is how badly this boat is being overloaded. It is dangerous to go over the rated weight allowance by almost 50%. Someone was sleeping when the purchase was made.
I don't think he is technically overloaded. Max capacity with people, motor and gear is 1840lbs if I read one of Dezso's posts right. The 700lbs is the occupant max capacity which he is indeed starting to tap out on. Might be a bit underpowered but boat isn't overloaded.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:59 AM

I put a whale tail on my 16 ft starcraft c/w 40 hp merc and it helps the plaining problem. On plain in no time
Old 06-22-2020, 08:48 AM

I worked in sales for many many years in the equipment business, not boats but the premise is still the same. I would take it back and work with the dealer. Your unit should perform to your satisfaction within the limits of the heat that you purchased. No way should a dealer be selling you a boat that won’t get up on plane. That’s ridiculous and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

Work with your dealer and salesman to either get the machine performing as it should, replace it with a more suitable unit to your application or refund your money. Those are the only three options that matter in my opinion.

No decent salesman or reputable dealer would be hanging you with a brand new boat that you aren’t satisfied with.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:34 AM

Shoulda bought a LUND! You bought a tank.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
You are correct, the boat is severely overloaded. The boats Capacity is 700 lbs. He had that much in passenger weight alone, plus 110 in fuel, 250 motor, 50 battery. Min of 1110 pounds, so 60% over max capacity. The Op conveniently wants to ignore that and place the blame all his problems on the dealer. There is a reason this boat ships with 2 actual seats. When the brochure says max capacity 5 people it still has to fit within the weight/capacity limit.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You are correct, the boat is severely overloaded. The boats Capacity is 700 lbs. He had that much in passenger weight alone, plus 110 in fuel, 250 motor, 50 battery. Min of 1110 pounds, so 60% over max capacity. The Op conveniently wants to ignore that and place the blame all his problems on the dealer. There is a reason this boat ships with 2 actual seats. When the brochure says max capacity 5 people it still has to fit within the weight/capacity limit.
The manufacturer should be ashamed building a vessel that more or less is a single person boat with the 90 hanging off the rear...
Old 06-22-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
The manufacturer should be ashamed building a vessel that more or less is a single person boat with the 90 hanging off the rear...
Can't argue with you there. Most 16' boats of that style have a 1400-1700 Lb weight capacity, why anyone would buy a boat with such a low capacity I have no idea. I think it often comes down to lowest price and not thinking through the fact that usually you get what you pay for. There is a very good reason why Lund and Crestliner cost more. Only costs 10% more to get the best, as my father often told me.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
I worked in sales for many many years in the equipment business, not boats but the premise is still the same. I would take it back and work with the dealer. Your unit should perform to your satisfaction within the limits of the heat that you purchased. No way should a dealer be selling you a boat that won’t get up on plane. That’s ridiculous and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

Work with your dealer and salesman to either get the machine performing as it should, replace it with a more suitable unit to your application or refund your money. Those are the only three options that matter in my opinion.

No decent salesman or reputable dealer would be hanging you with a brand new boat that you aren’t satisfied with.
I disagree with that.

How can any dealer possibly know who I am fishing with?

I am positive no dealer asks 'do you have any large male (or female) friends you are fishing with?'

No, they ask VISA or DEBIT? Then they pile on the accessories and gear and wait for the commission.

I would bet when they are tested it is with a single 160-180 pilot and another 500 lbs of sand to approximate the weight of mom, dad, 2 kids.

Not 4 working men.

This one is not the salesman's fault, it is not the boat dealers fault. The OP bought bad.

Too bad too, that's a lot of money.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-22-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezso View Post
It’s a 1650 Rebel XL Sport 965lb vs 1140lb Smoker Craft
Lund max load capacity 825lb total 1790lb Smoker Craft 700lb total 1840, 50LB difference and my boat have 10HP more. Livewell was empty, 4 fishing rod and a small tackle box. My friend weighs more then my kids together and his boat work fine with the 50HP Yamaha
My top speed is under 10MPH ��
I’m getting limited to 4000RMP and there is a bunch of disturbed water behind the engine, I think the prop is bad or the height not setup correctly.
https://youtu.be/fVrknQ98Yd8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Can't argue with you there. Most 16' boats of that style have a 1400-1700 Lb weight capacity, why anyone would buy a boat with such a low capacity I have no idea. I think it often comes down to lowest price and not thinking through the fact that usually you get what you pay for. There is a very good reason why Lund and Crestliner cost more. Only costs 10% more to get the best, as my father often told me.
Dezso, when you get a chance would you mind posting exactly what it says, word for word, on the capacity plate of your boat?

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:24 AM

https://www.smokercraft.com/showroom...gler-xl/162-xl

This boat shows a 90hp max engine. If yours has a 60hp, that's a big problem.

The fact the boat has a capacity of 700lbs seems very light to me.

But there it is, right in the specs - so with gear, fuel, and 2 average sized adults, you are probably loaded to capacity ………... EVEN with the max hp engine …… unblvbl

A 60hp would further downrate that capacity to get on plane.....yikes
Old 06-22-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I disagree with that.

I am positive no dealer asks 'do you have any large male (or female) friends you are fishing with?'

No, they ask VISA or DEBIT? Then they pile on the accessories and gear and wait for the commission.

I would bet when they are tested it is with a single 160-180 pilot and another 500 lbs of sand to approximate the weight of mom, dad, 2 kids.

Not 4 working men.

This one is not the salesman's fault, it is not the boat dealers fault. The OP bought bad.

yup , and once they get your answer they transform from your best friend to " why are you bothering me ?"
Old 06-22-2020, 01:57 PM

Get the 2 kids/teens way up front and hammer on it.

Seriously, looking at the specs that boat is a thick brick imo.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:20 PM

So after reading some of the comments about capacity and thinking about it, 700 lbs capacity seems unbelievably low for a boat that length and width. I did some snooping around and found a Smokercraft brochure for that boat in 2010. Back then the boat was rated as max capacity 1250lb. I am wondering if Smokercraft is rating the boat for 700lbs for people only. Seems weird that they would call it max capacity though. The 2019 catalog has the same rating 700lbs max capacity. Just can't wrap my head around a boat that size only being able to handle 700lbs.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-22-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
yup , and once they get your answer they transform from your best friend to " why are you bothering me ?"
Just like every car dealership. I hate salesholes

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-22-2020, 05:52 PM

"salesholes" , thats good !
Old 06-22-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
So after reading some of the comments about capacity and thinking about it, 700 lbs capacity seems unbelievably low for a boat that length and width. I did some snooping around and found a Smokercraft brochure for that boat in 2010. Back then the boat was rated as max capacity 1250lb. I am wondering if Smokercraft is rating the boat for 700lbs for people only. Seems weird that they would call it max capacity though. The 2019 catalog has the same rating 700lbs max capacity. Just can't wrap my head around a boat that size only being able to handle 700lbs.
Me neither ………. so I looked into it and guess what a 16' Crestliner is rated at MORE THAN DOUBLE the capacity. The Lund is the same story ……….. 1500lbs for the Crestliner, 1520lbs for the Lund (mid market models as well) …… windshield models, similar length, compared to SmokerCraft / Sylvan's 16 ft which are rated at a skinny little 700lbs.

Absolutely Stunning ….

https://www.crestliner.com/fish-hawk...wk/#full-specs
Old 06-22-2020, 07:04 PM

Is there a difference in these capacities, meaning rated as occupants only and TOTAL weight on a boat (motor, fuel, gear & occupants)? Learning a bit here.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearbreath View Post
Is there a difference in these capacities, meaning rated as occupants only and TOTAL weight on a boat (motor, fuel, gear & occupants)? Learning a bit here.
Ya, there usually is and I'm really certain this 700 number being thrown around is the occupant load. Getting a little funny actually.

Dezso's boat probably reads something like this:

MAXIMUM CAPACITIES: 5 Persons or 700lb's

Below that it probably reads 1840 Pounds, Persons, Motor, Gear, 90 H.P. motor.

The 1840 lbs is from a post the OP put up so that's why I asked him to post what it says on the plate.

I really doubt the max capacity on that boat is 700lbs. But hey why ruin a good smokercraft bashing lol.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Ya, there usually is and I'm really certain this 700 number being thrown around is the occupant load. Getting a little funny actually.

Dezso's boat probably reads something like this:

MAXIMUM CAPACITIES: 5 Persons or 700lb's

Below that it probably reads 1840 Pounds, Persons, Motor, Gear, 90 H.P. motor.

The 1840 lbs is from a post the OP put up so that's why I asked him to post what it says on the plate.

I really doubt the max capacity on that boat is 700lbs. But hey why ruin a good smokercraft bashing lol.

The intent is to deliver data driven factual information. Seems to me both list it as Max Capacity, and there seems to be a huge difference there. I am assuming these placards are issued by the US Coast Gaurd and, therefore, the test and/or rating protocols should be identical - so it should be a fair comparison. Maybe I'm wrong - if so, let us know. That's how I read it. Crestliner has twice the capacity - boat is roughly same weight and length.

The Crestliner is ~100lbs lighter and 5" longer, min hp is 90, max is 115, capacity is #1500lbs

Smokers is max 90hp, the OP's boat has a 60hp. Capacity on that boat is 700lbs.

I think we have circled this carcass enough at this point. The issue is crystal clear to me.

Last edited by EZM; 06-22-2020 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:55 PM

I've had my Smokercraft Pro Angler 172 for 8 years now with no problems, it came with a 90hp four stroke or if I wanted I could get a 115hp Optimax two stroke. I went with the 115, I get up to plain easy with 4 adults and can get 45mph. I bought it new with 4 seats, 2 tarps, electric motor and fish finder. It was $ 25,000 at the sportsmen show. None of the other manufacturers came close to that at the time. Here is what my plate said, I don't read to much into it, I think it's a manufacturer ass cover
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200622_203018_resized.jpg (38.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 20200622_210604_resized.jpg (35.1 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by curtz; 06-22-2020 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

The intent is to deliver data driven factual information. Seems to me both list it as Max Capacity, and there seems to be a huge difference there. I am assuming these placards are issued by the US Coast Gaurd and, therefore, the test and/or rating protocols should be identical - so it should be a fair comparison. Maybe I'm wrong - if so, let us know. That's how I read it. Crestliner has twice the capacity - boat is roughly same weight and length.

The Crestliner is ~100lbs lighter and 5" longer, min hp is 90, max is 115, capacity is #1500lbs

Smokers is max 90hp, the OP's boat has a 60hp. Capacity on that boat is 700lbs.

I think we have circled this carcass enough at this point. The issue is crystal clear to me.

If the issue is the boat being a bit underpowered for four adults, got ya and mentioned that myself earlier in the thread.

As far as the capacities, not even gonna bother until I know what it says on the plate.
I think differen't manufacturers are using different numbers on their website.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:11 PM

[QUOTE=Dezso;4190669]I see many good points, wasn’t expecting this for first experience.
Many friends with 16’ boat various brand all have 60HP OR LESS
I would entertain the idea of 70HP if reasonable price but the dealership said they don’t offer engine swap on a factory preconfigured boats.
60 Yamaha same (or extremely close) to the 90HP Mercury engine.

I’m not really sure who told you this information but its not correct. 30 hp is 30 hp thats 50 percent bigger than you have now. Like I said I have a 90 merc. (2 stroke) on a 16ft 4inch lund console boat, from a dead stop with 550 lbs in (just people and cargo) its on plane in just over 3 lengths of the boat and is at 44mph with trim adjusted at 4500 rpm. Someone is pulling your leg telling you a 60 yam is the same as a 90 merc. They are a fantastic boat motor but not that fantastic, I really hope you get this straightened out, I know how upset it would make me. There have been several good comments that could help you out enough to make it acceptable, good
luck and tight lines Dezso
Old 06-22-2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
To me 1250 would be a closer number, probably higher now. Again need to know what the plate says. Boats are getting bigger and might be a bit more dimension to OP's newer boat but I haven't looked at an older brochure. For the record I don't think that number will end up being as high as 1840 either looking at the specs on the smoker.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I disagree with that.

Not 4 working men.

Like hell.

The man bought a boat to go fishing with.

Who goes fishing by themselves?

He’s put one hour on the machine and is not happy with the purchase.

The customer is always right.

Been a here done that. Tens of millions in sales. Dealership/ salesman needs to make it right. I would. Even if it cost me out of pocket.
Old 06-23-2020, 05:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

OP....what was the outcome?

I enjoy the squabbling posts though........

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-23-2020, 08:04 AM

The manager wasn’t available yesterday!

Service tech confirmed the engine working fine, it produces 55.7HP 800psi at 5200 RPM
Waiting for a 4 blade 11 pitch prop.

Spoke with Smoker Craft, they confirmed “this dealer just like many other” the boat shipped with engine mounted on it. When I asked why 60HP if that barely makes it, the dealership order it with that configuration!!

I didn’t put in much effort yesterday, no point arguing with every employee, I want to speak with the manager only. Service tech also hinted 60HP is the minimum for this boat, when I asked about 70HP he said it’s a same engine, 50-60-70 all 1000CC with a different gear ratio and different software!
Spoke with Consumer Protection Canada “its a joke” made no complaints or named each party involved.
My plan for today is see if they would go for a engine swap 60YAmaha same price 75Mercury, 90Mercury $1400 more but this prices just what I found in google in various companies website.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Dezso, when you get a chance would you mind posting exactly what it says, word for word, on the capacity plate of your boat?

Thanks.
I’ll take a picture of the plate/sticker but I don’t have the boat.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
Like hell.

The man bought a boat to go fishing with.

Who goes fishing by themselves?

He’s put one hour on the machine and is not happy with the purchase.

The customer is always right.

Been a here done that. Tens of millions in sales. Dealership/ salesman needs to make it right. I would. Even if it cost me out of pocket.
Haha.

You sold tens of millions of dollars worth of boats in Alberta?

And I agree, but again the purchase has to match the requirements.

The OP asked what legal ramifications he has.

He bought poorly. We would sure hope the sales manager would help, but doubtful.

He bought an underpowered boat hoping to save money.

We all like to do that to a degree. I would love to only run 200hp on my boat, sometimes at 300hp I wish I had 400 but I thought what I bought. It is that way until I upgrade.

Maybe the dealership will take it back, give him all his money back and sell it as a 1 hour demo.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
He bought an underpowered boat hoping to save money.
5 dealership with different brand all comes with 60HP
Lund, Legend, Princecraft, Smoker Craft and Tacker very close price, this boat just looks better and was tired of 2 week of shopping with no purchase since old boat sold already.
Anything with 90HP was 5k+ more what was out of my budget.
Used boats sold quickly and many I looked was also with 60HP for only a few thousand less 4-6k depends on age and options.

Tags
60hp, boat, outboard, troubles