Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-06-2022, 09:19 AM

There actually was quite a bit of snow but it all melted. Bare ice is nice if you have ice cleats and incredibly dangerous if you don't. Last Saturday, there was an inch of ice, an inch of water, another inch of ice, another inch of water, and then the main ice. Three young guys came out and fished near me with a hand auger (I still see these daily on this lake). The kid went through the first inch of overflow and said to his buddies "That was a lot easier than I thought it would be." I also saw people out skating to get from spot to spot...Must have watched Jay Siemens' video. And finally, there was a guy set up 6-10' from the open water fishing the open water. He had a hatchet to make some "rod-holders" in the ice and water was flying everywhere. Fishing at this lake is like sitting in a lawn chair at the boat launch in the summer. The stupid/illegal $#!^ I see going on just never ends.

I'd go across the lake to get away from the masses. But I have a theory at this time of year those aerators make a big difference in dissolved O2 levels so I stick around the fence...and of course there is only a narrow band around that fence that's the depth I want to fish at. There are nine aerators on that lake. They actually have them on a timer this year so that they aren't on all the time. They had to shut them off for several days earlier in the year because the lake was still open a solid 100m west of where the fence now is due to winds and warm weather.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Whelp, another weekend in the books. Friday was good. Saturday was slow, but it gave me time to devise some new strats. Must have been close to 10 total 22"ers since I posted last Friday, including this poor girl with some sort of kyphosis.

'Til next Friday morning.
Assuming that's the lake I think it is (99% sure it is), we usually fish on the other side of the areation just around the point in about 7 feet of water. We're hoping to get out there at some point this week. Not sure what this warm weather will do to the ice though, since it's supposed to be 3 - 7 degrees during the week.

I gotta get me one of those bump boards too.

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 02-16-2022 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Assuming that's the lake I think it is (99% sure it is), we usually fish on the other side of the areation just around the point in about 7 feet of water. We're hoping to get out there at some point this week. Not sure what this warm weather will do to the ice though, since it's supposed to be 3 - 7 degrees during the week.

I gotta get me one of those bump boards too.
I'm sure it's the lake you're thinking of...we've discussed it before. I usually fish the other side as well, but those photos were taken on a Saturday and I was making a futile attempt to avoid the crowd.

The fish are everywhere in that lake, like most of our pothole trout lakes. Don't overthink location too much. As long as you're in 12 fow or less the fish will come your way eventually.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:48 PM

Fished a couple of hours in the morning Friday, Saturday and Sunday (for the first time) this weekend. Crowds were actually pretty tame considering the weather, and fishing was good on Saturday and Sunday. I caught a 23" on Saturday and a lot of 22"s again...like five in a row this morning. I did help a fellow that caught what looked to be about a 24-25" fish Saturday and we had a good chat. I'm sorta glad it's supposed to snow all week...I was actually worried about getting a sunburn today. It's just not right...

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 02-16-2022 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:10 PM

Nice bow. congrats
Old 02-13-2022, 08:07 PM

You're catching some good chunkers! Very nice!
Old 02-15-2022, 08:24 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Looks comfy out there!

Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-15-2022, 11:22 AM

To be honest, I'm really enjoying this whole trout fishing thing. I usually catch 10-20 in a morning on the lakes with big fish, and 20-30 on the other lakes with dinkers, they fight 10X better than walleye, and they come to me so I don't have to constantly chase them around. I just sit in a super comfy chair and chill. I tell myself every afternoon I'll go fish for walleye on my home lake. But I haven't since around Christmas.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:17 AM

Whelp, too cold out today and tomorrow so I'm done for the weekend. 23.75" was my biggest fish (should be right around 6lbs)...so a bit of an improvement. But still a long way to go.

On a sidebar, I received a distraught PM from a member this week that I was disclosing the location of "his" (his word not mine ) secret lake, like everyone from across Alberta was going to make the pilgrimage because I posted a few pictures. First of all, the lakes I mostly fish are well known around here for holding big fish. There is absolutely no secret to keep amongst the locals. And I've never talked to anyone that I wouldn't consider a local on any of the lakes. Second, although I sometimes posted a nice scenery shot with my posts they were just photos in my library and not always where I fished that weekend. I thought some people might appreciate them. But it turns out this guy just got his panties in a twist...welcome to the internet. Anyways, I had a mod take them down as the guy seemed a little unhinged. But the offer still stands to come chat any time you see me on "your" lake.

These photos are from this weekend...the 23.75" and one of his friends for good measure. FYI, there are no brookies within at least 100km of "his" lake, and the CO I chatted with said there have been a lot of big fish come out of this lake this winter.

Old 02-20-2022, 10:52 AM

Nice fish! Still hoping to run into you out there one day. A pregnant wife and busy work schedule have kept me from getting on the ice since December though.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:56 AM

Nice fish! Yes stocked lakes are a BIG SECRET!! Anyone who can read can find them on a stocking report and with some legwork and determination find lakes that produce bigger fish. I wouldn't let them deter you. I routinely catch some nice fish in the lakes I fish and they are far from "secret" spots. The secret lies in knowing how to catch them. I hear no end of people whining the fish don't bite in lake X or that they aren't stocking enough and they are shaking their heads in disbelief as they watch you land several chunky fish while they are holding a rod loaded with 20lb test dangling a 5" smelt on a spoon fishing in a lake where the primary food source is shrimp, beetles, other assorted aquatics and stickleback minnows under 2" length. Gee I wonder why you haven't caught one?
I am enjoying your posts, scenery or not....keep them coming please. I like seeing those big bows and brookies!
Old 02-20-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
Nice fish! Yes stocked lakes are a BIG SECRET!! Anyone who can read can find them on a stocking report and with some legwork and determination find lakes that produce bigger fish. I wouldn't let them deter you. I routinely catch some nice fish in the lakes I fish and they are far from "secret" spots. The secret lies in knowing how to catch them. I hear no end of people whining the fish don't bite in lake X or that they aren't stocking enough and they are shaking their heads in disbelief as they watch you land several chunky fish while they are holding a rod loaded with 20lb test dangling a 5" smelt on a spoon fishing in a lake where the primary food source is shrimp, beetles, other assorted aquatics and stickleback minnows under 2" length. Gee I wonder why you haven't caught one?
I am enjoying your posts, scenery or not....keep them coming please. I like seeing those big bows and brookies!

LOL no kidding. I get the wanting to keep and protect certain spots. Stocked lakes should be off that list. I see stocked lakes all the time on here that I wish were not posted but... meh. It happens.

Whoever PM'd AlbertanGP, take a hike!

AlbertanGP, keep the pics coming! You add a lot to this thread. Hope you get to your goal
Old 02-20-2022, 01:04 PM

Default Where's my 10lb Rainbow Trout?

Nice fish, nice setup! Could you send me a link on the lighting?

Old 02-20-2022, 01:58 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Again wow factor!!!
Well done and I hope you enjoy my spot on my lake in my province in my country!

Too cold haha I recall you standing outside in -15 with 30 click winds trying to figure out where the fish were!

Keep on posting up those beauties.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-20-2022, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
Nice fish, nice setup! Could you send me a link on the lighting?

The lights are just something I whipped up on Amazon for cheap.

Lights

Switch Panel

It's two seasons old and still going strong. It also puts out more light than the Otter units in my Otter Resort, although that's also a bigger unit. This Clam Yukon is my one man flip that's I can actually pull myself. Cheers.
Old 02-20-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Nice fish! Still hoping to run into you out there one day. A pregnant wife and busy work schedule have kept me from getting on the ice since December though.
You think you have no time now...wait until junior arrives. But, yeah, drop by and say hi. As I told this fellow, I'm not hard to find during the winter.
Old 02-20-2022, 03:11 PM

Quote:
This.

Anyone who makes any effort can find out which lakes have the potential to hold big fish. Most any depth will work...eventually they are going to come to you as they are constantly on the move in mostly bowl-shaped waters. And almost any bait will work as well, although some are better than others for sure depending on the water body. The trick comes in figuring out the nuances for each body of water that will allow you to accumulate the numbers to get to the big fish faster. Got a lot of fish circling your hook but not biting? Figure out why. Miss a lot of strikes yourself or with a tip up? Figure out why.
Old 02-20-2022, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Again wow factor!!!
Well done and I hope you enjoy my spot on my lake in my province in my country!

Too cold haha I recall you standing outside in -15 with 30 click winds trying to figure out where the fish were!

Keep on posting up those beauties.

IKR. Greg took the time to come out and show me some spots to fish on "his" Cold Lake when I came up there last month, and didn't even fish that day. Even still, I did marginal at best as I haven't put enough time in laker fishing...yet.

And, to be honest, the comment about the cold was more a cop out. I'm tired from getting up much earlier than I do to go to work every day during the weekend for the past few weeks. I stayed home, slept in, and had a nice nappy this afternoon. Now I'm thinking I should go out tomorrow. I know a nice lake nearby with cutthroat...
Old 02-20-2022, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Whoever PM'd AlbertanGP, take a hike!
Actually, I want him to come say Hi. I'm curious if he's a stick on "his" lake or not.
Old 02-20-2022, 06:43 PM

Considering your location I "think" I know at least one lake you are fishing and I don't think that has been a secret for a couple decades or so...
Old 02-20-2022, 08:22 PM

All of the lakes I fish have been common knowledge since I came up here in the late 90's...I heard of them before I even got back into fishing. I think this guy just got a bee in his bonnet equating a couple of pictures I posted with the multitude of people who have taken up fishing on "his" lake during Covid.
Old 02-20-2022, 08:46 PM

I used to fish that lake before the fences around the areators. Crazy the people who would sit on the edge and cast into the open water. Love your posts. Good luck in your quest!
Old 02-20-2022, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbotman View Post
I used to fish that lake before the fences around the areators. Crazy the people who would sit on the edge and cast into the open water. Love your posts. Good luck in your quest!
TBH, I see them fishing into the open water from time to time. But they never seem to catch any more than the people ice fishing. So I ask myself why take the risk, as one goes in every few years apparently. I'd take a lot of risk to save a fellow ice fisherman, but those people...I dunno...
Old 02-20-2022, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
TBH, I see them fishing into the open water from time to time. But they never seem to catch any more than the people ice fishing. So I ask myself why take the risk, as one goes in every few years apparently. I'd take a lot of risk to save a fellow ice fisherman, but those people...I dunno...
My thoughts exactly!
Old 02-21-2022, 10:53 AM

[QUOTE=AlbertanGP;4491048]TBH, I see them fishing into the open water from time to time. But they never seem to catch any more than the people ice fishing. So I ask myself why take the risk, as one goes in every few years apparently. I'd take a lot of ris

My idea of saving them would be picking up my cel phone to call 911. I wouldn't be going anywhere near an open hole from aeration. If you've ever owned even a dugout with a windmill aerator you know there is more spots to worry about than directly over the diffuser. Air travels under the ice and manifests itself in many other spots creating weak or thin ice areas that go unnoticed due to snow cover, ice colour etc.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
My idea of saving them would be picking up my cel phone to call 911. I wouldn't be going anywhere near an open hole from aeration. If you've ever owned even a dugout with a windmill aerator you know there is more spots to worry about than directly over the diffuser. Air travels under the ice and manifests itself in many other spots creating weak or thin ice areas that go unnoticed due to snow cover, ice colour etc.
Indeed. I posted this picture earlier in the season to explain how warm weather (currents and warmer water from the aerators will do the same thing) undercuts the ice. You really have no idea what you're walking on when you start getting close to those things. And because of the way things froze early this season, the aerators are undercutting and removing the little bit of good clear ice we see at the bottom of holes and leaving the cloudy crap on top from all the warm weather and melting.

Old 02-26-2022, 09:03 PM

Good news and bad news. The bad news is my biggest rainbow was only 19" this weekend...it's slowed right down the past two weeks. The good news...
  • I saw two for sure 10lb rainbows on Friday and one actually took a couple of sniffs.
  • I figured out a new pattern for brookies on one of the lakes I fish that resulted in the hardest strikes I have had in years ice fishing trout. I'm really stoked to refine this pattern.

I thought I had another weekend before heading to Saskatchewan. But it looks like Adam Konrad is up to bat to help me out on Diefenbaker next weekend.
Old 02-27-2022, 07:11 PM

Keep us posted! I'm anxious to hear how Diefenbaker treats you! I probably won't be getting out before mid-march. Headed back to Valemount, BC this week for work.
Old 02-27-2022, 07:52 PM

I'm looking forward to Diefenbaker and a return to Cold Lake on the way back, weather permitting. I'm not sure I'll even fish for walleye on Dief...I may just work on the trout while I'm there. I'm not expecting a lot though. If I can glean a few good tips from Adam I'll be happy.
Old 03-01-2022, 10:19 AM

Good looking fish AlbertanGP.
Looking forward to casting some flies at those fish in June