Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-20-2017, 12:40 AM

Default Want to go snow geese hunting

Hi new hunter herw havent kill anything but almist dont getting all my permits met a few nice guts on here who was helpful.
I heard that snow geese season is open so i live in edmobton and looking to go with a experience hunter fir a day hunt out side of edm i dont own any guns as yet but will be doing my pal on april 2.

I have never eaten geese but will be awesome to experience the hunt so any kind hunters willing to take me out to shoot some gueese with them for a day feel free to message me i am so willing to learn from a good hunter until i can do it on my own

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 10:34 PM
Banned

Can not help, but a couple of thread have been started that could give you information. This one has information that is good.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=317336
Old 03-20-2017, 11:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribbeanboy32 View Post
Hi new hunter herw havent kill anything but almist dont getting all my permits met a few nice guts on here who was helpful.
I heard that snow geese season is open so i live in edmobton and looking to go with a experience hunter fir a day hunt out side of edm i dont own any guns as yet but will be doing my pal on april 2.

I have never eaten geese but will be awesome to experience the hunt so any kind hunters willing to take me out too shoot some gueese with them for a day feel free to message me I am so willing to learn from a good hunter until i can do it on my own

Snow geese are one of this things that you need quite a bit of experience with. Also need to invest a lot of time and money into it, and not trying to come off as an ass but many people are worried taking new hunters on a waterfowl hunt due to bad experiences. I personally have not had any, but a few people have had new guys swing shotguns in their face, shoot too early and other things. I would honestly suggest getting a cheaper shotgun and trying for some ducks or Canada geese. Snow geese usually require you to have a spread of at least 10-15 dozen decoys.

Last edited by gloszz; 03-20-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:12 PM

Oh ok

Old 03-20-2017, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribbeanboy32 View Post
Oh ok

Your best bet to get into birds would be to wait for the fall and look for someone to take you out for canada geese or ducks. Spring snow geese take quite an investment in time and money and can be quite a tough hunt for a begining hunter.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 03-20-2017, 11:56 PM

Thanks you tikka

Old 03-22-2017, 04:53 PM
Banned

I don't mean to be a dick and I hope it doesn't come off this way...but if 6 months ago you were asking for help, and clearly now you know enough to give solid advice like that why don't you take him out and show him the ropes? Offer to teach him instead of telling him to wait...there is no time like the present to learn about waterfowl hunting...don't dismiss his eagerness to learn simply because its an "inconvenience" to take someone.

Oh and NOT ONCE have I EVER had someone swing a gun infront of me or onto me...if you are a "pro" you set up firing lanes, you have one guy making the shot calls and everything else falls into place...

Again....if you have the ability (and based on your youtube vides you do) to teach someone...DO IT!!!!!
Old 03-22-2017, 06:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenC68 View Post
I don't mean to be a dick and I hope it doesn't come off this way...but if 6 months ago you were asking for help, and clearly now you know enough to give solid advice like that why don't you take him out and show him the ropes? Offer to teach him instead of telling him to wait...there is no time like the present to learn about waterfowl hunting...don't dismiss his eagerness to learn simply because its an "inconvenience" to take someone.

Oh and NOT ONCE have I EVER had someone swing a gun infront of me or onto me...if you are a "pro" you set up firing lanes, you have one guy making the shot calls and everything else falls into place...

Again....if you have the ability (and based on your youtube vides you do) to teach someone...DO IT!!!!!

I can see that I have been picked to be the sacrificial lamb on this forum.

I am still new and I am trying to tell him how hard it is because no one took me on a hunt and it wasn't easy. I had to go myself and learn through reading and watching, talking to people and taking new hunters as well that I have known previously and we learned together. I wouldn't mind taking someone new but I have had people swing in my lane and scare me because of the excitement of wanting to shoot a goose. I have also almost been shot by a brand new hunter who fired off a shot behind me trying to field zero in his gun. I also know of many hunting stories from Europe that amused injury or death due to stupidity. Secondly I just started a job and don't know if I, myself will be able to go hunt as there is literally no time to take off. I love how I need to explain myself with everything.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post

I am still new and I am trying to tell him how hard it is because no one took me on a hunt and it wasn't easy. I had to go myself and learn through reading and watching, talking to people and taking new hunters as well that I have known previously and we learned together. I wouldn't mind taking someone new but I have had people swing in my lane and scare me because of the excitement of wanting to shoot a goose. I have also almost been shot by a brand new hunter who fired off a shot behind me trying to field zero in his gun. I also know of many hunting stories from Europe that amused injury or death due to stupidity. Secondly I just started a job and don't know if I, myself will be able to go hunt as there is literally no time to take off. I love how I need to explain myself with everything.
Keep at er man yur on the right track.experience comes with field time.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:54 AM
Banned

I wasn't asking for an explanation or making you a sacrificial lamb by any stretch.

I simply suggested instead of telling him to wait until next fall (where he will likely be told to wait again) why not offer some sound advice like....

Grab your binos, get in the truck and go for a drive. If you see snows in a field, go knock on the owners door (may need to purchase some land owner maps) and see if they will let you hunt (most will). Then get yourself AT LEAST 4 dozen socks (likely need more but its a start) and set up on the X (where the geese were mainly focused around that day). Set up so they land into the wind, conceal conceal conceal and go have fun...you aren't going to get your 50 plus limit (usually) on your own and on your first trips out but you'll have a TON of fun and learn an awful lot.

Good luck to the OP on his hunting this year, I'd offer to take you but I'm not doing a spring snow goose hunt this year as I'm training a new lab and I live down by Calgary. Feel free to PM me if you want advice, I'm not expert but I can pass along what I've learned and picked up from older more experienced hunters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post