Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-16-2018, 08:50 PM

Default Good sheep hunting boots

I plan on going on my first sheep hunt and is curious to what boots guys like the best for the terrain I wear a size 14 so it may be difficult to get certain brands any suggestion
Old 05-16-2018, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman14 View Post
I plan on going on my first sheep hunt and is curious to what boots guys like the best for the terrain I wear a size 14 so it may be difficult to get certain brands any suggestion
I wear the same size, and am VERY happy with my Timberlands.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:44 PM

Where did you purchase them
Old 05-16-2018, 10:02 PM

Hanwag makes the Alaska Gore tex model up to size 15 (wide sizes as well). They are very good boots but if your feet run hot they will cook in early season.

Track and trail in Edmonton is typically well stocked with all sizes of this boot. I strongly suggest trying them on. I wouldn't say they are a narrow fit but on the narrow side of true to size, if that makes sense.

Good boots that will last many miles with a bit of care given to the uppers and keeping them away from fires.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:20 PM

Default Don’t overthink this

Fit is number 1, support is number 2.

Everything fits going up, only the one fits going down. They don’t walk themselves up the hill. The shape of your foot matters the most Over “worked for me advice”.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:56 AM

I love my Danner “Canadians”. Very comfortable, and have got several seasons out of them so far.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:38 AM

Size 14, what did your parents feed you, you will not need snowshoes for later fall snow conditions.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:57 AM

I would agree with the Hanwag Alaskan GTX recommendation. Had a pair for almost 10 years, with lots of miles from hunting and hiking. Great support, well made and they fit my size 13-14 feet well. I did put a pair of orange Superfeet insoles in them for a better fit for my narrow foot, and with that they were very comfortable. I have just recently retired them and picked up a pair of Scarpa R-Evolution Plus instead. I find myself in Elk country more than Sheep, so they seem a better style for that terrain. If I were heading into Sheep terrain I wouldn't hesitate to get a Hanwag. Unlike the previous poster, never had a problem with them running too hot, and I used them often in spring, summer and fall.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:15 PM

another one for Hanwag Alaskan GTX. have had them for two years and been on many hunts not with no issues. I didn't even have break in time for them and they were very comfortable.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I think this size is fine I have near about 14 and Its quite comfortable to me
Old 05-17-2018, 09:02 PM

Do any of you guys know where I could try a pair of danners on in Edmonton
Old 05-18-2018, 08:18 AM
Banned

surprised no comments for lowa boots, unless they don't make them big enough, but if they do the hunter gtx style should be on your short list
Old 05-18-2018, 08:24 PM

Scarpa wrangles all the way.great ankle support and good solid sole 3/4 shank in the bottom.gortex lined .crampon based.
Love them
Old 05-21-2018, 08:07 PM

I’ve had a set of Hanwag GTX, can’t say I’m a fan. The sole is slightly too narrow for my foot/stride so I feel like my ankle isn’t supported. I rock a set of Scarpa’s right now and I love them. Easily one of the best boots I’ve ever had, and I go through a lot of boots for work.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:09 PM

Coleman the 1 PPCLI Kit shop up on the base has Danners. Not sure what styles. They probably won’t have your size in stock but they can order them in. Civilians are allowed to shop there. If you google “PPCLI kit shop” it will come up, give them a call and they might be able to help you out.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:54 PM

I love my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. Just got them resoled at Kenetrek as the last soles were worn out. Came back just like new except they are broken in. Have had them for a few years and they still don't leak!. I take a wide size and the Kenetrek's fit perfectly. I had a pair of the Lowa Sheep Hunter's sold by Schnee's and found them a bit too wide. They also leaked after a couple of years. The tall boots are nice for keeping your feet dry while wading through small creeks and give tons of support. The negative is they are a little bit heavy, but you need a sturdy boot for carrying heavy loads in rough country where there are no trails and you could be side hilling.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:19 PM

Default size 14 Do not Dilly Dally with purchase

In that you need a large size you need to get on this early as the stores do not purchase a lot of this size to sell so you need to on the look out early when they get their stock in. Keep in mind not all models will be available in these sizes as usually only the most popular models are available in the bigger sizes. You may have more luck with the bigger retailers as they can bring product in from other locations. If you need to special order the smaller stores may ask for a deposit upfront. Just wanting to give you the Heads up ahead of time. I have been in the specialty retail game for 40 yrs so I know how it works.... not for hunting gear but winter sports ie ski/snowboard. Good luck with your purchase.... remember its only a good deal if it fits
Old 05-24-2018, 07:37 AM

I have miles out three pairs of kenetrek mountain extream they are great boots I mostly use the kenetrek mountain guide boot for sheep now as it supports clip on crampons. If you wear out a set of kenetrek beyond repair the will uslualy give you a sweet deal on a new set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C5D34D09-CECD-404B-9A30-132C61F6F5A6.jpg (40.4 KB, 214 views)
Old 05-25-2018, 07:08 AM

Kenetrek is having a memorial sale today. Not sure if the mountain boots are onsale but Check it out anyway.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:46 PM

Kenetrek hands down
Old 05-30-2018, 03:24 PM

I currently have a Pair of Hanwag Alaskan boots in Size 14 I really find they don't have a ton of ankle support actually rolled my ankle once and broke my FIB/TIB wearing them. I really liked the look of the Scarpa boots but the size 14 was to tight for my feet but the ankle support looked fantastic.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:47 AM

Hey,
Look at Irish Setter Men's 2870 Vaprtrek(Waterproof 8" Hunting Boot)
Look great, great quality, comfortable from the start, did a 2 mile hunt first time wearing the, and no problem, very comfortable. Highly recommend. Red Wing is known for its quality, can't go wrong with this. Light weight, most comfortable boots I've ever owned. Read some bad reviews about being waterproof, but if you are going to walk through creeks, of course they are not going to be completely waterprrof. In that case get the rubber hunting boots instead. Liked them so much that I got my wife a pair as well and she loves them too.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:14 AM

I got a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Ext 400's last year. Great boots and the support seems exceptional - great for side hilling. They do recommend 60 miles for break in and I would say mine took a bit longer than that. You certainly would not want to pull them out of the box and go hunting without the break in period though. Mine are size 13M
Old 06-20-2018, 08:17 AM

Forgot to add that I now use sock liners, they are great for avoiding hot spots
Old 06-22-2018, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:

Scarpa Liskamm (possibly the stiffest leather boots on the market) I have done a bunch of research and these will likely best sheep boots
Old 06-26-2018, 08:32 PM

Default Scarpa

After 10 yrs of hard mountain use, my Scarpa's (vibram sole, rough out, goretex) developed a small inside of the ball separation. Am sure they can be repaired-picked up another pair of Scarpa's this weekend to be certain I got some continuity with the same quality/type of mountain boot.

Did a steep 10k hike today with the new boots and a heavy pack. Long story short, these new Scarpa's Zodiacs are stellar and just a little bit lighter than the old ones.

Those Italians sure know to make a mountain boot, Scarpa's rock.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 06-27-2018, 07:41 AM

Really like my lowa hunter gtx,the hagwan toe box was too narrow for me. I can walk through a river without them getting wet and the metal bar in the boot really helps for heavy loads.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:21 PM

Default Scarpa Liskamm

I second the Scarpa Wrangell: great ankle support, good solid sole 3/4 shank, gortex lined, crampon compatible, great for side stepping up slopes I have a pair of the Scarpa Liskamm available size 12 - 12 1/2. Basically the same boot as the Wrangell. The Liskamm are the forerunner to the Wrangell - a great hunting boot!
Old 03-04-2020, 08:40 PM

Manufacture matters less to me. Things I want in a boot!
Norwegian welt construction
Fully gusseted tung
Heavy top grane or perwanger leather construction,
Leather interior
Vibram sole
No goretex
If you go this route your going to want to break them in for at least a month.
Brad
Old 03-04-2020, 10:00 PM
Banned

I’ve had great luck with crispi’s