Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-04-2012, 08:12 PM

Default Binoculars

Hey was wondering what suggestions ya'll have for some new binoculars in the 5-600$ range?
Old 07-04-2012, 08:40 PM

Used Swaros, then send them in to get refurbished.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:44 PM

where could I find a pair?
Old 07-04-2012, 08:52 PM

Try E bay. A friend just picked up an older pair or 8x35 Habicht for 500 ish. Just make sure you find a reputable seller and all that. Might take a month or two to find a good pair but they do come up. Then send them in to get refurbished. I had an almost 20 yr old pair sent in this winter and they came back better than new, super nice job for 200 bucks or so. Sent them in through McBain Camera in Edmonton.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:55 PM

cool thanks for the advice!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Used Swaros, then send them in to get refurbished.
X2. Swarovski all the way...
Old 07-04-2012, 09:43 PM

Nikon monarchs, buy them new no need to send for refurbish you will not be disappointed
Old 07-04-2012, 09:48 PM

Swaorovski all the way. You'll never buy another pair of binos in your lifetime.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 07-04-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
Swaorovski all the way. You'll never buy another pair of binos in your lifetime.
Another thing is I payed 700 bucks for them almost 20 years ago, after refurbishing I wouldn't part with them for 1000. I wouldn't mind buying another pair in a different though in a different power and have two sets.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:04 PM

I have swarovskis but for $500.00 I was impressed with Nikon. Didn't really notice much differance until low light.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:05 PM

I'm a leica fan, but you probably can't get them for $500.

The top end Pentax are very good.

Try Nycameraland.com They buy alot of show stuff from the big europeann companies and are very good to deal with.

They sponsor the optics forum on canadiangunnutz
Old 07-05-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
I was impressed with Nikon. Didn't really notice much differance until low light.
Which in many cases, is the prime time to hunt, so that is often when the quality of optics is the most important to a hunter.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:03 PM

Any one out there have leupold mojavi's? or leupolds in general?
Old 07-05-2012, 09:00 PM

I have a pair of mojovis and they are very good, but I havn't ever looked through the higher end like swaros.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:47 PM

I have a pair of Kahles that I might be looking to part ways with. My dad just gave me a set of his binos. Send me a msg .Awesome for sheep hunting and low light conditions 10 x 42.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper View Post
Nikon monarchs, buy them new no need to send for refurbish you will not be disappointed
Intil you look through Swarovski
Old 07-05-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
Intil you look through Swarovski
X2.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 07-05-2012, 11:43 PM

Leupold bx2 cascades....the best bino I have used so far...fair price with wicked clarity
Old 07-06-2012, 12:15 AM

I have a pair of Leica Geovids in 10 x 42, and they are incredible. Not in your price range though of course. I can't use them for shooting 3D tournements because of the built in rangefinder, so I needed a second set of reasonable quality, in your price range. I settled on the Vortex Viper HDs in 10 x 42. Optically, they give up very little to my Leicas (which is saying alot), even in relatively low light. The warranty on them is also outstanding from the reviews I have read. I was so impressed, I tried one of their budget model Diamondback scopes for a rifle (4-12 x 40, $250), and I'm pretty impressed with them. In their price points, I can't find anything better. Anyway, give them a look. Used swaros or Kahles are all well and good, but good luck finding them. I paid $600 for my binos + tax on sale here at Bartons.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-06-2012, 12:25 AM

For a couple of hundred dollars more you could step up into the Cabela's Euro binoculars , 800 to 900 , depending if they are on sale, they are great , you can read the reviews,you will not be disappointed.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:16 AM

vortex has a no fault warranty and makes some nice clear glass.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:17 AM

I am with Andrew. I like my Vortex , great warranty plan they stand behind and superior in low light for the money. I got a great deal on mine at Huntfest last year.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:19 AM

Before I was able to afford a pair of Geovids I had a pair of Bushnell Discoverer 8X42. For the price range you are looking in they would have fit the bill perfectly. I think the only bad thing is they have discontinued the line but they were really nice and clear and for under $500 they were a great buy.

LC
Old 07-06-2012, 09:05 AM

I have a pair of leupold cascades and really like them, no comparison to my friends swarovski's but I like them and they should be in the $500 range. I have heard good things about vortex and they might be worth a shot, wicked warranty if something does go wrong.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:14 AM

Sounds like the vortex are a pretty good deal
http://bestbinocularsforthemoney.com...-for-the-money
Old 07-06-2012, 09:30 AM
sheephunter

In your price range I'd go Nikon. One of the dangers of buying old binos is that you are buying old technology. The advancements in coatings alone have allowed glass today that costs in the $1,000 range today to totally blow away glass that cost twice that 20 years ago. Just because it says Swaro or Zeiss doesn't mean it compares well to today's products. The price of optics have come down so much in comparison to the quality they offer. We are getting great value for our money in today's optics. The old stuff.....not necessarily so. I've got a 25 year old set of Zeiss binos that back then cost around $1800 and for the time they were as good as it got. The new $1,000 Conquest HD binos totally blow them away. Something to consider.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
In your price range I'd go Nikon. One of the dangers of buying old binos is that you are buying old technology. The advancements in coatings alone have allowed glass today that costs in the $1,000 range today to totally blow away glass that cost twice that 20 years ago. Just because it says Swaro or Zeiss doesn't mean it compares well to today's products. The price of optics have come down so much in comparison to the quality they offer. We are getting great value for our money in today's optics. The old stuff.....not necessarily so. I've got a 25 year old set of Zeiss binos that back then cost around $1800 and for the time they were as good as it got. The new $1,000 Conquest HD binos totally blow them away. Something to consider.
When I sent mine in they upgraded the glass, the ocular end came back completly different, adjustable for glass wearers and the optics are far better now as compared to the older set my friend bought. The covering or skin is new. I was very impressed with the job they did. I don't know how they compare with a brand new set, will have to look side by side sometime. For most people it may not be worth the headache but mine came back far in far superior optical condition than they left.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:18 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
When I sent mine in they upgraded the glass, the ocular end came back completly different, adjustable for glass wearers and the optics are far better now as compared to the older set my friend bought. The covering or skin is new. I was very impressed with the job they did. I don't know how they compare with a brand new set, will have to look side by side sometime. For most people it may not be worth the headache but mine came back far in far superior optical condition than they left.
I think you'd be shocked if you put them up against a new set.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I think you'd be shocked if you put them up against a new set.
Will check it out the next time we head to the big city for sure. It could get expensive.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:33 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Will check it out the next time we head to the big city for sure. It could get expensive.
Keeping up with technology always is.....lol