Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-24-2018, 12:16 PM

Default Mountain Backpack Question "ALPS OutdoorZ Commander"

I am getting into backpack mountain hunting and I am on a budget. I am wondering if anyone has experience with this ALPS OutdoorZ Commander + Pack Bag? If you have used this pack what is your opinion? Seems to be priced reasonably and has some good features. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:32 PM

There's so much camping gear on kijiji..... The prices are good if you look carefully.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:42 PM
Banned

i've tried 700 dollar packs from kifaru...like my 280 dollar osprey better, just sayin

so much good mountain stuff already, don't get sucked up into the marketing of hunting...sheep don't give a fack what what they ride out in, nor the brand or type of vehicle you give them a ride in either

it's your money though
Old 05-24-2018, 01:15 PM

I had one for a season liked it picked it up on amazon for very cheap and it did whatever I needed it to do. Only reason I upgraded is because I found a mystery ranch metcalf for a very good price. The alps will do the trick if your on a budget. I had to try a bunch of different ones on to find one that fit good. I’m a shorter guy so the alps was a bit bulky on me but was pretty comfortable and like I said did what I needed it to do!
Old 05-24-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
There's so much camping gear on kijiji..... The prices are good if you look carefully.
I have just set myself up with an Eberlestock Mainframe for less than half price off of Kijiji, exactly the unit I was searching for. I have seen Alpz, Eberlestock, Mystery Ranch, etc... If you go for an older backpacking pack you could get a quality pack for under $100.

Need to be patient, but over the course of a couple months many wicked deals will occur.

Matt
Old 05-24-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselj19 View Post
I am getting into backpack mountain hunting and I am on a budget. I am wondering if anyone has experience with this ALPS OutdoorZ Commander + Pack Bag? If you have used this pack what is your opinion? Seems to be priced reasonably and has some good features. Thanks in advance for any advice.
PM incoming, I have one for sale
Old 05-24-2018, 06:34 PM

That’s the pack I use, I have no complaints with it really, it packs well and fits my build good. I like the price tag on it since I bought from amazon. One thing I like is how it’s mostly through pins holding it together for adjustability but also if it breaks or anything you can bush fix it very easily and not be left with a busted pack for the hike in or out.

I guess one thing that bugged me was the rings the use to hold the pins in. One of mine caught clothing or something and kinda stretched out and was annoying and poky. But they give you a few extras and straps when you buy it. So I just keep them in a pocket for then stuff like that happens.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:37 PM

What are guys opinions on the Cabela's Alaskan pack? I picked one up for hunting Blackfoot the last couple years and found it comfortable. Gonna try it this year in the mountains and see how it goes. On sale now for 169 CAD
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill