Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2020, 11:57 AM

Default Cookbook Co.

Just wondering if anyone here has ever taken a cooking class with the Cookbook Co. in Calgary? Thinking of doing a couples night out that they offer. I have read up on them and it sounds pretty interesting considering it's hands on and you do this in a class group setting. Or any other places that offer same type of class. Valentines day is coming up ya know. Thanks for any input all might have.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:02 PM

Never taken one of their classes, but have known a few of their instructors.
Should be a good time.
I guess my only advice would be to learn what you can about their instructor specific to the course you are considering.Try to find credible reviews.
I would be cautious of any class where the instructor is still TBD with less than a month to go.
Tells me that they may slot in any warm body to make the class happen. And often someone unqualified.In the past I met students fresh out of culinary school who had gained resume cred teaching classes.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:27 PM

Good advice. Thanks. I hope it works out and have an accredited chef. Going to do it just for chits and giggles. I do know how to cook already (can do some Tia, Mediterranean, Italian) just thinking maybe refine some other skills and have fun. Mostly have fun with my lady.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:19 PM

I have been there a few times now. It really is a fun evening but I agree with the earlier comment to see who is running it. I went to a BBQ one with Ronnie Shewchuk and it was amazing. Been grilling for years and learned a number of things. Great date night.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:24 PM

Not specific to the Cookbook Company, but in general in regards to cooking classes.

Let's just say for example there is a hands-on class with a menu with soup, salad, main course and dessert.
Because of time limitations often the class is randomly divided into groups and assigned duties.

So you absolutely might get to work on a complex item of interest to you.Or you might get assigned construction of a salad to toss.
No guarantee if that is how they structure their class. Perhaps that works fine for you, as you all get to eat everything together at the end.

So, selecting a class with less menus items up your odds. So does arriving early and expressing your desire to work on a specific item.But no guarantees. Someone has to make salad.
The other format that I prefer is a demonstration class where the chef does the cooking and the students get to witness each step.

Regardless the right class should be a blast and inspire you. It should be fun and welcoming and create bonding moments with your partner. Good Luck
Old 01-25-2020, 04:28 PM

Food is amazing. The bakery downstairs...OMFG awesome!!!
Old 01-25-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Not specific to the Cookbook Company, but in general in regards to cooking classes.

Let's just say for example there is a hands-on class with a menu with soup, salad, main course and dessert.
Because of time limitations often the class is randomly divided into groups and assigned duties.

So you absolutely might get to work on a complex item of interest to you.Or you might get assigned construction of a salad to toss.
No guarantee if that is how they structure their class. Perhaps that works fine for you, as you all get to eat everything together at the end.

So, selecting a class with less menus items up your odds. So does arriving early and expressing your desire to work on a specific item.But no guarantees. Someone has to make salad.
The other format that I prefer is a demonstration class where the chef does the cooking and the students get to witness each step.

Regardless the right class should be a blast and inspire you. It should be fun and welcoming and create bonding moments with your partner. Good Luck
Thanks that is great advise. Going to try one just for chit's and giggles. Might be a good way to meet other different people. Also be a different night out for sure.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:41 PM

My dad and I took a cooking class together in Winnipeg in the late 70's.
Back then mostly only women took cooking classes.
It was a Japanese cooking class, we learned a ton and I still refer to the recipe handout to this day. It was printed on Data Paper with the perforations.
But most fun was the women trying to take us poor men under their wing and assist us.
We far surpassed their skill level, but they treated us as helpless oddities.

We did meet a few people in class that we became friends with as they decided to ask us to join their informal supper club rotating suppers at each other's houses every month. Super fun way to get out of the house in the winter. Just give wide berth to the people that take it too seriously and use it as a status symbol. Me and muckedymucks seem not to mix well