Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 06:57 AM
Blarney Stone BSer

Default A question for Rob or the Mods.

OK I have to ask a question when I see posts like this on the board

I have built many rifles based on 700s as well as many on high end custom actions. A skilled gun maker can make the 700 shoot just as well as a rifle based on a custom action. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=28019

Having test fired and sold quite a good number of these particular rifles, they tend to shoot pretty good for a factory rifle. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...888#post257888

Then I read rules like this:

This message board is for the sharing of information among hunters, anglers and trappers. It is NOT for the promotion of products or services by businesses. If you wish to promote your products or services, please contact our sales manager.

Is this not a case of someone promoting their business here. I do not see the posters business, which is their user name BTW, listed anywhere as a sponsor, nor can I seem to find them as an advertiser anywhere on here or in the magazine.

Can someone clear this up for me.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:58 AM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=27634
Old 02-20-2009, 08:02 AM
Banned

Default perhaps I can help

We have on the board a member (who happens to be a very knowledgeable smith) helping other members of the board make informed decisions on rifle purchases, problems etc and is not charging a dime for this advice. I thank him for that. AND, looking at his posts, I would say he goes out of his way not to endorse himself.

We also have on the board some other members who have TOO MUCH FREAKING TIME ON THEIR HANDS!!!

Why don't we chase away every knowledgable pro off this board and all of their hard earned wisdom? Then everything would be perfect. Sheesh.

Not saying, just saying ya know. Good day.

Rug
Old 02-20-2009, 08:06 AM

^^^ I agree rug! I'm guilty of having waaay too much time on my hands too!

IMO there isn't any blatant promoting going on, I just see posters giving people experienced advise, dunno what the problem is
Old 02-20-2009, 08:22 AM

I'm not Rob and I'm not a mod but I don't see anything wrong with that post. In my opinion, the poster is just justifying his opinion by explaining his experience. If he had offered his services or blatantly advertised then that would be a different story. I don't see that though.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:49 AM

Promotion and telling a person where and what expertise one has are a fine line. If a person asking a valid question doesn't know for sure he's getting valid information, an informed decision cannot be made. I for one do not know any of the peope who are bang on with advice but how they post sure tells me a bunch. I Strongly agree with Rug. We cannot afford to lose a wealth of knowledge such as the poster you emphasize, Nothing in any of the posts I see blatantly construe advertising. More on identifying his expertise and we all lose if this expertise is lost. My 2 cents.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Blarney Stone BSer

We do both processes.
To have more info on exactly what the gun is makes quotes much easier.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...897#post149897

We have our paperwork finally sorted out it seems, now if I could get some help in determining what bullets people want ordered it would help.
I have a good idea on what we want for the rifles we build, but would like to cover as many bases as possible without ordering a ton of the whole line.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?p=
149094#post149094

Over the 35 years in the industry have sold many thousands of various rings and bases combinations.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...724#post155724

I have since become a distributor for the line and recommend it with every build I do.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...638#post152638

Need I cut and paste more?

The very fact this posters handle is his businesses name pretty much flies in the face of the forum rules.

Seems to me other poster who have sold a few dogs, or tried to promote their business ventures have had their posts deleted without exception.

Just curious how all this can continue with all these self promotion attempts by what appears to be just a regular un payed for advertising member.

If however there is some agreement in place and some sort of arrangement, I will ask for that to be stated openly and then this thread may be deleted.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarney Stone BSer View Post
We do both processes.

We have our paperwork finally sorted out it seems, now if I could get some help in determining what bullets people want ordered it would help.
I have a good idea on what we want for the rifles we build, but would like to cover as many bases as possible without ordering a ton of the whole line.
149094#post149094

Over the 35 years in the industry have sold many thousands of various rings and bases combinations.

I have since become a distributor for the line and recommend it with every build I do.

The very fact this posters handle is his businesses name pretty much flies in the face of the forum rules.

Seems to me other poster who have sold a few dogs, or tried to promote their business ventures have had their posts deleted without exception.

Just curious how all this can continue with all these self promotion attempts by what appears to be just a regular un payed for advertising member.

If however there is some agreement in place and some sort of arrangement, I will ask for that to be stated openly and then this thread may be deleted.
Squeak, squeak, squeak, Trying to get some grease?
Old 02-20-2009, 09:15 AM

BS'er, you're pretty new and green here. Before you go off half-cocked about how the board works I suggest you sit back, relax, and just watch.

To me, what we have here is a business person giving their advice and expertise for free for the benefit of board members. That I know what the name of their business is is great in my opinion. If I have been getting the benefit of advice from someone here for years, then require the services of a gunsmith, and they are a gunsmith, I would certainly go to them, and why would that be a problem?

I would think that from Alberta Outdoorsmen's point of view:

1) The expert's comments and contributions add value to the board.
2) More value equals more members.
3) More members equals more advertising revenue and more potential magazine subscribers.

I have no problem with certain members owning or working for businesses and saying so, as long as they are also adding value to the conversation and to my hunting and fishing experience. In fact, I prefer if they state their business name... it tells me where they are coming from so I can judge their intentions and advice. I can also AVOID them if I think they are idiots.

Now some other actions certainly are out of line... touting other magazines or forums that compete with AO. No problem with Rob shutting that down. It's his business and livlihood we are talking about here. I personally think that EXCESSIVELY slagging AO advertisers or columnists also falls in that category. A little criticism or opinion should be allowed, but if someone "goes on the warpath" for a columnist, for example, that's going too far here on an AO-supplied forum.

Last edited by Okotokian; 02-20-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:26 AM
troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
BS'er, you're pretty new and green here.
You have only been here a month longer than him. Just because he is not a post ***** doesn't mean he doesn't read the forum. The dog comment happened a few months back, so I know he follows along.

As for the question asked originally, he is one of the few posters who knows his stuff and I don't think I have ever seen him "push" his business, he just answers questions that are asked of him.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:

I have built many rifles based on 700s as well as many on high end custom actions. A skilled gun maker can make the 700 shoot just as well as a rifle based on a custom action. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=28019

Having test fired and sold quite a good number of these particular rifles, they tend to shoot pretty good for a factory rifle. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...888#post257888

This message board is for the sharing of information among hunters, anglers and trappers. It is NOT for the promotion of products or services by businesses. If you wish to promote your products or services, please contact our sales manager.

Is this not a case of someone promoting their business here. I do not see the posters business, which is their user name BTW, listed anywhere as a sponsor, nor can I seem to find them as an advertiser anywhere on here or in the magazine.

This should be fun......
Cat
Old 02-20-2009, 09:57 AM

BS'r,

Either you have some personal issue with this person, or maybe you just have a case of cabin fever.

The mods are aware of the member, and If I remember correctly they've even posted in common threads.

Leave things well enough alone. This guy has some great knowledge and the fact that he says he builds these guns for a career doesn't mean he's trolling the forum looking to drum up work.

I'd say the freaking troll is you dude.

P.S. Why the heck didn't use the PM function and ask the mods directly. The fact that you posted this in the forum tells us that you're just looking to stir things up.

Last edited by Albertadiver; 02-20-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:02 AM

Have no fear....the Internet Police are here!!!

Jeez...if ya want your own job of being a mod go start a board.....
Old 02-20-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
We do both processes.

149094#post149094

You're a natural Zebra, McCormick! Have another doughnut and get a good nights rest. Cheers!
Old 02-20-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troller View Post
You have only been here a month longer than him. Just because he is not a post ***** doesn't mean he doesn't read the forum. The dog comment happened a few months back, so I know he follows along.
LOL touche... I just looked at the post count and assumed. My mistake.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo View Post
You're a natural Zebra, McCormick! Have another doughnut and get a good nights rest. Cheers!
Sorry, BSer. That wasn't very nice. I apologize.

I would think it's a fine line between business and pleasure on the forum. He has to wear two hats, so to speak. As long as it's done with discretion, which the member has done, I don't see a problem. Kinda sounds like your points are more personal than anything else.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:41 AM

Posting before lock!
Old 02-20-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
we have on the board a member (who happens to be a very knowledgeable smith) helping other members of the board make informed decisions on rifle purchases, problems etc and is not charging a dime for this advice. I thank him for that. And, looking at his posts, i would say he goes out of his way not to endorse himself.

We also have on the board some other members who have too much freaking time on their hands!!!

Why don't we chase away every knowledgable pro off this board and all of their hard earned wisdom? Then everything would be perfect. Sheesh.

Rug
x2
x3
x4!
Old 02-20-2009, 01:01 PM

I think this is settled. One member brought up a concern (fair enough), and everyone else has basically said "Yeah, we know, and we like it this way."
Old 02-20-2009, 01:09 PM

I'll be surprised if this thread isn't deleted before the day is out. Pointless drivel.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinggr81 View Post
I'll be surprised if this thread isn't deleted before the day is out. Pointless drivel.
Since when has pointless drivel ever been a criteria for deletion here?
Old 02-20-2009, 03:41 PM

Smile

Quote:

Can't agree with what you posted as just business advertising , It is information where we can get info for service or product I would not be able to obtain my self with out this forum.From what you posted as advertising we would not be able to use other words such as Wholesale Sports , Cabela's ,Russell's Sports also we would not be able to ask for name and address of a gunsmith or what is a good bow recomendations etc.etc.

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 02-20-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
We have on the board a member (who happens to be a very knowledgeable smith) helping other members of the board make informed decisions on rifle purchases, problems etc and is not charging a dime for this advice. I thank him for that. AND, looking at his posts, I would say he goes out of his way not to endorse himself.

We also have on the board some other members who have TOO MUCH FREAKING TIME ON THEIR HANDS!!!

Rug
Uuummm, yeeeepppp!

x whatever it's at now
Old 02-20-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post

" . . . Why the heck didn't you use the PM function and ask the mods directly. The fact that you posted this in the forum tells us that you're just looking to stir things up.
Dangnabit!

Albertadiver beat me to it!

Old 02-20-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:

Rug

X Whatever it's at now plus 1
Old 02-20-2009, 11:54 PM

Interesting! . . .

Check out Blarney Stone BSer's 'Public Profile' [ http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/member.php?u=809 ] :
- Biography; I'm a wee lad with a nasty sense of humor.

- Interests; Mayhem and pranks.

Nuf said,

TF

Old 02-21-2009, 01:31 AM

The person who you are refering to does not promote his business, IMHO. and his user name happens to be the same as his business. But unless you are interested in his type of business you wouldn't know its a business by his user name. When asked a question he also responds and tells people that this person or that person does good quality work.
As for users that put "Welding" or "fishing charters" etc in their name
you have no doubt they are promoting a business. I agree with whoever said this should have been kept off the board and asked by pm.
Again this is jmho.