Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 01:10 PM

Default Market Update Jan 21/2020

January 20, 2020

Up until this past weekend reports of single trappers selling to private buyers were the only barometer as to
where the coyote market is. The true market is only realized at the auction level.
Fur Harvesters Auction Inc. wishes to congratulate the North Dakota Trappers Association and the Idaho
Trappers Association for successfully conducting very impressive auctions this past weekend. Having
spoken with several of the buyers attending these auctions, results were conclusive that price and clearance
on western coyotes was very strong.

North Dakota offered 1300+ coyotes averaging around $130.00 US (approx $170.00 CDN) topping at
$205.00 US ($265.00 CDN) for the top parcel of 60 some coyotes.
Idaho results will be posted shortly I’m told, but reports are that over 2000 coyotes were offered and
averages were similar to North Dakota’s Trapper auction.
It is important to note that both these auctions sell individual trapper bundles and there were trappers that
sold some big catches and averaged considerably higher than the overall averages listed above. These
results are good news to the trappers supporting their Associations. As well these trappers are stepping
up and by supporting these auctions help in providing very important funding to strengthen their State
Associations.

We have just returned from a three week tour in Northern China where our team visited customers, factories
and design centers promoting wild fur. Already we have confirmed our largest attendance of Chinese
buyers, and many more are expected to register in the coming weeks.
As well, all the Major European Fashion Houses are confirmed along with a great number of new buyers
registering with strong orders for coyotes.

Our Western Operation in Winnipeg will continue to receive coyotes beyond our posted last receiving dates.
Call 1-204-774-1705 or email m_schell@furharvesters.com

Our next auction takes place from March 28th thru 31st 2020.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:52 PM

Hope it all works out good. This thread should also be put on the trapping forum.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-21-2020, 04:04 PM

Default While I'm delighted to hear the market for coyote fur is good...

Although their money spends just like anyone else's, I'm not sure letting the Chinese in on this market is going to be beneficial for fur harvesters...

The Chinese have shown for years that they are only interested in copying Western goods using sub-par manufacturing & production techniques and materials.

They overproduce and undercut the rest of the world with their cheap products and sweatshop labor, yet we still pander to a Regime that is under Worldwide scrutiny for the treatment of their own citizens...

And yes I understand, this is business not politics. Just my opinion.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:37 AM

You do realize that the Chinese have been in on this market for years and for alot of the wild fur they are the market. Personally I dont care what they do to each other over there as long as they want my fur and will pay good for it.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
You do realize that the Chinese have been in on this market for years and for alot of the wild fur they are the market. Personally I dont care what they do to each other over there as long as they want my fur and will pay good for it.
Gotta agree with you ...we may not agree with their politics but our own are far from favourable so no need casting stones at them . I know I dont want them telling us what we need to change..hope they bring a big bag of coin to the auction and spend it freely ..as for prices we all got spoiled by the US exchange rate at NAFA that added an artificial 35% to our checks ..it was nice but really only a bonus that wasnt a true representation of the market.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2020, 08:17 AM

FHA auction is in USD as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2020, 08:41 AM

What date is the last receiving date for coyotes now?
Old 01-23-2020, 08:56 AM

Doesnt sound like there is one really. They must really want as many as they can possibly get for the sale. Very interesting.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:58 AM

Last Receiving Date for WESTERN CANADA please call our Western Operation in Winnipeg. 567 Henry Avenue , Winnipeg MB
1 204 774 1705 ask for Mary
or email m_schell@furharvesters.com
We have extended our last receiving date in Western Canada due to FHA just opening up this WESTERN OPERATION and the tremendous support we have received since doing so.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:01 AM

Why wouldn't you just post a date I'm sure mary is busy enough without this added.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fur Harvesters Auction View Post
We have extended our last receiving date in Western Canada due to FHA just opening up this WESTERN OPERATION and the tremendous support we have received since doing so.
Could you elaborate a little bit?

I just called the ATA in Westlock and they haven't extended their last receiving date to drop off fur. In fact, they are loading the boxes of fur on the truck as I type.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:50 AM

I'm assuming since the coyotes arent actually all gonna be at the auction that they can still receive them quite late, grade them and store them in Winnipeg and still offer them at the sale. Most depots still ship goods when theres enough no matter when it is. My first batch were all shipped dec 20 from the depot.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:11 PM
Banned

How much to ship a bag of pelts to Winnipeg?

"Hi Dave,

We can take them here in Winnipeg until the first week in February but the agents will have closed their doors already I believe. If you can send them here then that is fine, but really only the coyotes as we are grading them here which gives us more time.

Mary"
Old 01-25-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

"Hi Dave,

We can take them here in Winnipeg until the first week in February but the agents will have closed their doors already I believe. If you can send them here then that is fine, but really only the coyotes as we are grading them here which gives us more time.

Mary"
DAve did you get any info fro them on shipping?
Old 01-26-2020, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

"Hi Dave,

Mary"
Hi Dave the cost of shipping fur through one of our agents is $12.00 per account no matter how many bags you have.

Mark T.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fur Harvesters Auction View Post
Hi Dave the cost of shipping fur through one of our agents is $12.00 per account no matter how many bags you have.

Mark T.
Mark,

Your agents (the depots?) have already shipped all of the fur that they have received and they aren't shipping anymore for the next auction.

Are you saying that if I took 3 bags of coyotes in now they should ship it for me?

Who would I see in the Edmonton area?
Old 01-26-2020, 05:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
DAve did you get any info fro them on shipping?
See FHA’s post above.

I decided against shipping more for this auction. It’s smarter to see what the auction brings and then see what the buyers are offering for next auction. I’ll just take everything in in April if that’s what I decide.