Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Handicap parking is a problem all over, it stems from the generation that believes they are entitled, just like parking in the fire lane at superstore while they run in to pick up vaping crap, always 1 or 2 vehicles there, to lazy to walk from the parking lot
Sorry it is not a generation at all. I have seen this issue since for as long as I can remember and offenders are of all ages. Been yelling at idiots for as long as I can remember and I have watched my Dad yell at idiots since I was a little kid.

Male, female, race, or age is not a factor
Old 01-25-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Sorry it is not a generation at all. I have seen this issue since for as long as I can remember and offenders are of all ages. Been yelling at idiots for as long as I can remember and I have watched my Dad yell at idiots since I was a little kid.

Male, female, race, or age is not a factor
100% agree.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:35 AM

This laziness has been bred into society somewhere around the time man invented a machine to automatically cut a slice of bread off of the loaf. I usually park at the other end of the parking lot so I'm not so crowded. Not to derail from the OP. But I have no desire to sneak into a closer parking spot or park in a fire lane. Plus I like to make fun of the bad park jobs on my short couple minute walk.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:10 AM

two winters ago I was going into a large 4 ice hockey rink, reasonably late at night, lots of empty slots in the parking lot, when I saw somebody with a handicapped card in the car pull into the handicapped spot next to the door and drag their hockey gear out of the trunk. Okay maybe it wasn't their hockey gear but they were the only ones in the car and it was a little late for the kids to be playing on a weeknight, that's the worst violation I've ever seen. I did report it to building management, not sure of the outcome there.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:17 AM

Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinhogdaddy View Post
I have been going to the same Tim Hortons in Calgary at 3840 Macleod Trail South for my morning java for many years. It has bothered me that they have ONE parking stall for the less physically fortunate people to park in. The stall does not have a sign posted in front of it designating it as a handicapped stall as per Alberta Building code 2014 3.8.2.2(4).
I contacted the Calgary Parking Authority informing them of the breach. Nothing was done. I in turn, went online to inform Tim Hortons Corporate that daily on my way home I see the same vehicle parked in the stall which I am sure is an employee of the Store and the Branches breach of no handicapped sign. This angers me as I have seen people with obvious disabilities struggle to walk into this store while they are forced to park on the street. Two months have passed since my contact with Corporate and NOTHING! No "thanks for the info", no acknowledgement at all and no sign erected. I have asked the store employees that man the drive through if they are aware that one of them is breaking the law and of course, I get a shrug of the shoulders for a response, nothing more.
Today, on my way home, I will be taking pictures of what I believe to be the employees vehicles license plate, the lack of signage and will be publicly shaming Tim Hortons on social media.
As the husband of a woman that struggles with an extreme disability, it is so morally wrong for people to do this; especially if its their own employees!!!
Plus, the fact that other customers are parking there because of no signage and take advantage of the parking spot for the "well, I was just going to be a few minutes" excuse. I may add that the stall has the required disabled paint on the surface but that doesn't suffice in the winter when you can't see it for the snow.
Morning rant over.
Wishing all a good day and enjoyable weekend.
FHD
After submitting my second complaint with their Corporate office, I got a call from the owner of this location. As of last week, there is now a handicapped sign erected, and the employees seem to have stopped using this area for their own vehicles.
Happy Friday and hoping all have a pleasant and safe weekend.
FHD
Old 03-06-2020, 08:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
After submitting my second complaint with their Corporate office, I got a call from the owner of this location. As of last week, there is now a handicapped sign erected, and the employees seem to have stopped using this area for their own vehicles.
FHD
Good on you.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:27 AM

It’s nice to see a little persistence paid off! 😁
Old 03-06-2020, 10:35 AM

Good for you. Your persistence created effective change. Far different than the average person that just likes to recreational Bitch but never addresses the actual problem in a way that can resolve it. All of the handicap parkers owe you thanks.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I love when my brother sees those guys he will snap and he is 280lbs that will not hesitate to punch the person who lips back. Normally a really nice guy that sticks to himself but able bodied lazy people parking in handicap parking sets him off

We grew up with a mother in a wheelchair and ran into all kinds of people making excuses on why they are parked in handicap spots. Women who say”well I have my kids in the car” and a lot of people who say “it was only 5 min” were common
So what does he do when the police or bylaw park in handicapped stalls? It could be entertaining to watch.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:38 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
FHD

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-06-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
Maybe go in and speak to the manager in person?
The Filipino with the most seniority? You think they will do something how?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-06-2020, 12:05 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
FHD
Right on! Way to go!!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-06-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
....."well, I was just going to be a few minutes".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
.....self centered people are "just going in for a second".....

If I was 'handicapped' with a placard, and saw someone parked in a handicapped stall without one, I'd just park behind him so he couldn't get out; and if he squawked, I'd say "Well, I'm just going to be half an hour." and actually make him wait that long.

That shows you how I feel about entitled ....uh....jerks.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
If I was 'handicapped' with a placard, and saw someone parked in a handicapped stall without one, I'd just park behind him so he couldn't get out; and if he squawked, I'd say "Well, I'm just going to be half an hour." and actually make him wait that long.

That shows you how I feel about entitled ....uh....jerks.
Haha. I like the way you think!
Seriously tho, the Owner tried to say he "didn't see" my first email to Corporate. Since I work in Healthcare, some of my besties chimed in as well, I think he knew he was going to have to answer the bell 'cause I was gonna keep ringing it and make sure his parking was compliant for people that have the right to proper accessibility.

FHD
Old 03-07-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
FHD
Excellent!
Now if we could only get the Skip the Dishes guys to understand what that sign really means!!!
They are another segment that seem to use those spots and take the attitude that I'll only be a few minutes so I can deliver a timbit to a lazy customer.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
The Filipino with the most seniority? You think they will do something how?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin