Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 08:40 AM

Default Sask trappers exam

For those of you who have taken the Saskatchewan trappers exam, how difficult is it? I find it tough to make the 2 day courses and have no desire in trapping, I just want to be able to sell shot coyotes. Should I just buy the manual and challenge the exam? I know a course is better but they never work with my schedule and, again, I'm not actually going to do any tapping.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:59 AM

Do you know anything remotely about trapping ? If so just challenge it. Its beyond easy and if you fail the multiple choice exam just do it again. But the bigger question is if you have no desire and dont plan on trapping why the hell would you write it? Just to shoot wolves in the south or sell coyotes?
Old 01-24-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Do you know anything remotely about trapping ? If so just challenge it. Its beyond easy and if you fail the multiple choice exam just do it again. But the bigger question is if you have no desire and dont plan on trapping why the hell would you write it? Just to shoot wolves in the south or sell coyotes?
Pretty much yep. Figure if I'm out shooting them anyways I might as well recoup some gas money.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:56 AM

When we moved to sask cpl years ago got the manual read threw it once challenged test walked outa there with 98 percent woulda had. Hundred but read a question wrong correct me if I’m wrong but would you only
Need to purchase a fur permit if your only planning on shooting them I don’t think you need the trapping licence an if ur shooting wolves in the south will have to purchase a wolf tag I know up around ya in zone 49 you do can’t hunt them in the bush out south of Somme an of course that’s where I always seen em when hunting moose lol
Old 01-24-2020, 10:10 AM

This should clear up the need of a licence or not. Straight text from a sask conservation officer

Yes you need a fur licence to sell the coyote or fur. As a sask resident you can shoot coyotes without a licence but cannot sell them unless you have a fur licence
Old 01-24-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreys 21234 View Post
When we moved to sask cpl years ago got the manual read threw it once challenged test walked outa there with 98 percent woulda had. Hundred but read a question wrong correct me if I’m wrong but would you only
Need to purchase a fur permit if your only planning on shooting them I don’t think you need the trapping licence an if ur shooting wolves in the south will have to purchase a wolf tag I know up around ya in zone 49 you do can’t hunt them in the bush out south of Somme an of course that’s where I always seen em when hunting moose lol
Need a fur sellers license to sell them which requires the taking the trappers course.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:22 AM

Yeah if you are somewhat knowledgeable about trapping you may be able to challenge it, but the test would weed out someone who has never really trapped or couldn't tell which trap to use for what species, etc.

I took the course and I found the course very good and worth my day. Lots of actual useful info that you wouldn't get from the manual. Skinning and boarding tips, etc. I suggest the course!
Old 01-24-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef612 View Post
Yeah if you are somewhat knowledgeable about trapping you may be able to challenge it, but the test would weed out someone who has never really trapped or couldn't tell which trap to use for what species, etc.

I took the course and I found the course very good and worth my day. Lots of actual useful info that you wouldn't get from the manual. Skinning and boarding tips, etc. I suggest the course!
Honestly I'd prefer the course but there are so few. The odd time the dates might work for me the course if somewhere 4 hours away. Like I mentioned I've never trapped and have no intention of doing so, which is why I worry trying to challenge might be a waste of my time.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:46 AM

Ok that’s where I must of Misunderstood was about the shooting not needing a licence compared to selling them thanks for the correction guys
Old 01-25-2020, 08:19 AM

ok in sask you have 2 zones one is the northern fur block areas which you cannot shoot wolves in or any fur animal for that matter, only the registered trapper can. Than you have the southern zone, there if you have a valid fur license and its in season you could shoot or trap as many wolves as you wish you do not need a wolf tag they are a fur animal. You can also shoot coyotes without a license but if you wish to keep them or sell them you will need a fur license. The wolf tags were started for guys that dont have a fur license and in my view are nothing but a money grab.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:13 AM

A few years back when we still could challenge the trapper exam in Alberta I talked to F & W lady that handled the testing. She said most failed the first and even second try as either did not have enough trapping knowledge or did not study Alberta Trapper Manual.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchip View Post
For those of you who have taken the Saskatchewan trappers exam, how difficult is it? I find it tough to make the 2 day courses and have no desire in trapping, I just want to be able to sell shot coyotes. Should I just buy the manual and challenge the exam? I know a course is better but they never work with my schedule and, again, I'm not actually going to do any tapping.
Here's the issue that this brings up, however you obtain your SK trappers licence, you hold the exact same licence that everyone else here does. In any trapping endeavour (yes shooting coyotes falls under that) you have the choice what to trap and what methods you use. I have seen this tons of times, a guy wants his license for just coyotes, but then he sees a badger out in the field, or a fox, or whatever. Then all of a sudden the little light clicks on and he knows that he has a license for that particular species. The problem is that you dont know the laws about that. I can't even begin to count how many guys shoot badgers in October (November 1 is the opening date). Or dont even start on red squirrels, guys think they are tree gophers and open season, they're not.
Take the trapping course and learn the laws. You are just going to make it worse for the rest of us when you inevitably screw up.

I want you to think if a trapping licence the same as a 1A truck drivers licence. I only need my 1A to drive around during harvest time.....a year or two goes by, I need a job and I got my 1A from a Cracker Jack box, hop in a truck and get into an accident.

Utilizing nature requires skill, training and most of all respect. Show us fellow trappers on here that you have that and take the course. I have a full trapping course in Bethune SK but I will make 1 more spot for you. Call me 306 209 2839 and I will get you in. I believe you and I spoke already but I can assure you that the route you are on now will only land you up with an infraction and disrespecting the wildlife.

And the worst part of all of this is the question you asked is answered in plain English in the SK Hunting and Trapping Guide. You obviously don't know the laws and asking on an internet forum from a different province shows that. Take the course, you need it. Ryan
Old 01-25-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5911ryan View Post
Here's the issue that this brings up, however you obtain your SK trappers licence, you hold the exact same licence that everyone else here does. In any trapping endeavour (yes shooting coyotes falls under that) you have the choice what to trap and what methods you use. I have seen this tons of times, a guy wants his license for just coyotes, but then he sees a badger out in the field, or a fox, or whatever. Then all of a sudden the little light clicks on and he knows that he has a license for that particular species. The problem is that you dont know the laws about that. I can't even begin to count how many guys shoot badgers in October (November 1 is the opening date). Or dont even start on red squirrels, guys think they are tree gophers and open season, they're not.
Take the trapping course and learn the laws. You are just going to make it worse for the rest of us when you inevitably screw up.

I want you to think if a trapping licence the same as a 1A truck drivers licence. I only need my 1A to drive around during harvest time.....a year or two goes by, I need a job and I got my 1A from a Cracker Jack box, hop in a truck and get into an accident.

Utilizing nature requires skill, training and most of all respect. Show us fellow trappers on here that you have that and take the course. I have a full trapping course in Bethune SK but I will make 1 more spot for you. Call me 306 209 2839 and I will get you in. I believe you and I spoke already but I can assure you that the route you are on now will only land you up with an infraction and disrespecting the wildlife.

And the worst part of all of this is the question you asked is answered in plain English in the SK Hunting and Trapping Guide. You obviously don't know the laws and asking on an internet forum from a different province shows that. Take the course, you need it. Ryan
Well said!!!!
Old 01-25-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5911ryan View Post

I've already said I'd like to take a course, we haven't spoken. I know about the one in Bethune and have other commitments. I'm not sure what question you're referring to as all I asked was the difficulty of the exam.

To your other point, I have no desire to do anything trapping related other than to sell whole coyotes which will not change. I am a by the book hunter, study the regs, and carry a hard copy of the regs on every hunt.

I fully intend on reading and studying the manual before taking the test but am worried I'll have difficulty understanding the material as I have no trapping experience (again, no interest - this will not change). I'm asking on an internet forum because I'm the first to admit I don't know everything, this forum in particular because I've found useful information here before.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchip View Post
I've already said I'd like to take a course, we haven't spoken. I know about the one in Bethune and have other commitments. I'm not sure what question you're referring to as all I asked was the difficulty of the exam.

To your other point, I have no desire to do anything trapping related other than to sell whole coyotes which will not change. I am a by the book hunter, study the regs, and carry a hard copy of the regs on every hunt.

I fully intend on reading and studying the manual before taking the test but am worried I'll have difficulty understanding the material as I have no trapping experience (again, no interest - this will not change). I'm asking on an internet forum because I'm the first to admit I don't know everything, this forum in particular because I've found useful information here before.
If I can suggest to take the course. Find a way. If you don’t have any previous trapping knowledge the course will help you to understand the exam, as well as a instructor being there. Not all the trappers courses are two days.

Even though you say you will never trap coyotes that may change when time goes on and you find out that the shot coyotes your selling could bring you more money if they were snared. That’s when taking the course would be helpful knowledge to have.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204ruger View Post
If I can suggest to take the course. Find a way. If you don’t have any previous trapping knowledge the course will help you to understand the exam, as well as a instructor being there. Not all the trappers courses are two days.

Even though you say you will never trap coyotes that may change when time goes on and you find out that the shot coyotes your selling could bring you more money if they were snared. That’s when taking the course would be helpful knowledge to have.
Yeah I'm already leaning towards waiting until the next round of courses. Just seems like a waste to leave coyotes in the field when they could go to auction is all.