Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-22-2013, 10:12 AM

Default Flip up tents, what do you have?

I just purchased the frabrill ambush 2-3 person flip up tents
http://frabill.com/new-products/ice-...sq85ph2s212oc7
Putting it together last night I was a little disappointed with the flimsy feel of the poles, the seats slop downwards so comfort isn't that great. On of the support poles in the back is seriously ghetto, it can be either knocked down by wind or someone lightly tapping on it from the outside. I am gonna see if I can return it tonight. For a 600 dollar tent it doesn't seem worth its dollar.

Has anyone used flip tents for 2 people of other brands?
How is the flipmo2 by Eskimo and is it user-friendly? the poles are two times thicker and more ridged then Frabills tent

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 10-22-2013, 11:10 AM

Default We will see.

I just bought my first tent online through wall mart. The reviews seemed good so I'm giving it a try this winter. 6 man, sets up in a minute, 72 sq ft of room and 7 ft high. For the price can't really go wrong, free shipping as well. $316.00
Or for the 3 man $186.00
Attached Images
File Type: jpg teny.jpg (57.3 KB, 45 views)
Old 10-22-2013, 11:10 AM

I have an Eskimo 2 man flip (older green one) and it is built tough and is very comfy. I also have a Frabill Commano Maxx one man flip and it is awesome. Quality of both is comparable.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:53 AM

I have the insulated Clam Yukon(2 man) flip over. heavy poles, awesome seats. Can stand up inside. Has large high sled. Down side is, heavy about 100 lbs.

Have Eskimo Insulated FlipMo 2 Has heavy poles, not that great of seats(but removeable) has large low sled and weighs about 80 pounds. More manageable if I am by myself to load in truck.

Wouldn't mind seeing some more tents offered that were not black inside(have seen grey). Black is to dark(good if you are staring down the hole only) with cameras and sonar not really needed.

Anybody have a tent with grey interior?

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:31 PM

I have the frabill r-tec which is an awesome tent. 2 boat style seats inside the sleigh and set up is real quick.Only draw back is the weight which I believe is around 180 lbs, but none the less an awesome tent
Old 10-22-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willieb View Post
I have the frabill r-tec which is an awesome tent. 2 boat style seats inside the sleigh and set up is real quick.Only draw back is the weight which I believe is around 180 lbs, but none the less an awesome tent
x2, have the same tent and have no complaints.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willieb View Post
X2 I have the same one awsome tent but very heavy, but thats why I pull it behind the quad....
Old 10-22-2013, 03:47 PM

I've been using the eskimo quikflip3, seats are very comfortable and is quite stable. Like others have said, the one downside is the weight factor. The inside of the tent is grey and I find it to have a good balance of light/dark and the fabric is not 100% light proof, some light does find its way through the tiny holes in the fabric.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:32 PM

I bought a Clam summit last year from Costco and it works wonders. 200 bucks only.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:46 PM

X2 on the Costco tent (not sure brand name) my buddy bought it last year - it was bigger and cheaper than the 2 man in house brand at wholesale sports that I bought.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLhammy View Post
X2 on the Costco tent (not sure brand name) my buddy bought it last year - it was bigger and cheaper than the 2 man in house brand at wholesale sports that I bought.
That's the clam summit.

Mines a 4 man tent, 6 feet by 8 feet pop up.

Couldn't be happier with it. Came with a travel bag, achors, lightweight, sets up in 2 mins, can fit 3 lawn chairs, heater, 2 holes ea person, fish tv, and a mini camping BBQ in it haha.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_man View Post
I just purchased the frabrill ambush 2-3 person flip up tents
http://frabill.com/new-products/ice-...sq85ph2s212oc7
Putting it together last night I was a little disappointed with the flimsy feel of the poles, the seats slop downwards so comfort isn't that great. On of the support poles in the back is seriously ghetto, it can be either knocked down by wind or someone lightly tapping on it from the outside. I am gonna see if I can return it tonight. For a 600 dollar tent it doesn't seem worth its dollar.

Has anyone used flip tents for 2 people of other brands?
How is the flipmo2 by Eskimo and is it user-friendly? the poles are two times thicker and more ridged then Frabills tent

Have the Eskimo Quickflip 2 man tent the one on the sled and just flips up have it for 8 years no only complaint was the windows are cracked but they Velcro out if I want to replace them.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:42 PM

i have the clam nanook 2 man, clam 1 man, ice cube 4 man, and i think the woods 4 man. have only use the clam 2 man once and already has a cut in the canvas from my buddies one sitting on top of mine but other than that fairly pleased with it. clam 1 man handy to fit in my car but cramped with all my gear.might sell it lol. ice cube 4 man used lots very happy havent broke any poles yet but heard lot about them breaking in the cold weather being kinda brittle. woods 4 man feels more like 2 man, all the poles are two piece and have to put together almost dropped one down the hole, did the job but bit of wind and its like a kite and collapses ( slight tear in one corner of the flaps but packs well and is portable. looks like a canvas outhouse. lol
Old 10-22-2013, 08:45 PM

Using the Clam Kenai (1 man), Clam Nanook thermal (2 man) and Frabill Outpost (4 man).

Clam Kenai (1 man), great all around one man unit no complains. I upgraded from the Frabill Recon and happy I did.

Clam Nanook thermal (2 man), OK two man, a little short and seems more like a spacious one man. Works good for me and one of my kids, wouldn't use it for two adults.

Frabill Outpost (4 man), This is a flawed product, in general I like the portability of the popup, but the hubs always F-up. Frabill send me a replacement for the first one that broke and I'm a little scared to open the box. The life of the popups for me has been less then two years. I did have the ice cube popup before and had the same issues. Might sell it.... Might not...
Old 10-23-2013, 07:44 AM

I have a Clam Kenai one man flip. This is an entry level shelter but has a lot of great features. The largest benefit I see is that the poles are fixed length. All I have to do is line the sled up with my hole, sit down and flip the shelter over my head. Second thing is the molded in cup holders and tackle tray. Its nice to have somewhere to stick a thermos of coffee. I see this shelter on sale every year at Bass Pro for $175.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:31 AM

Clam Kenai , my daughter and I both have them , love them ! 2 solid winters of fishing with no issues ! sturdy !
Old 10-23-2013, 10:06 AM

i bought the insulated eskimo fatfish last year....its a pop up style and i loved it.

then i picked up a well used quickfish 2 off a member here and the fatfish only comes out when i have a group coming out now

quickfish is an awesome unit. my windows are all gone too but it doesnt matter really.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdad013 View Post
I just bought my first tent online through wall mart. The reviews seemed good so I'm giving it a try this winter. 6 man, sets up in a minute, 72 sq ft of room and 7 ft high. For the price can't really go wrong, free shipping as well. $316.00
Or for the 3 man $186.00
How is this one for taking down? The sigle cube can be a pain in the butt sometimes so I have held off getting this style...
Old 10-23-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
How is this one for taking down? The sigle cube can be a pain in the butt sometimes so I have held off getting this style...
Very easy. Takes maybe 3 mins and I'm being generous with that.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:38 PM
Banned

I have had the quickflip 2 for a few years now, pretty happy with it.

Lots of room for the heater/cooker to
Old 10-24-2013, 01:12 AM

I've been considering the shappell bay runner. I'll be fishing alone for the most part. I like the idea of the sled bottom. Any cons I should consider?
Old 10-24-2013, 04:40 PM

the only thing i don't like about the two clams i have is the seats are not very comfortable and is fairly heavy so i minus the chairs for actual setup and use a regular folding chair.
bobalong thats a very cool unit with the grill to hold a pot. is that just an add on piece for a mr. buddy heater?
Old 10-24-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
the only thing i don't like about the two clams i have is the seats are not very comfortable and is fairly heavy so i minus the chairs for actual setup and use a regular folding chair.
bobalong thats a very cool unit with the grill to hold a pot. is that just an add on piece for a mr. buddy heater?
The Clam Yukon has 2 boat type seats that are very comfy and heavier poles that's why I chose it over the nanook plus I could stand up in the Yukon and it had the insulated top.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:35 PM

I have theses type's easy to put up and very mobile ..I need to get into some hike in spots so need light weight

David

Old 10-24-2013, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
The grill and the skewers are just generic ones I picked up at Canadian Tire, with a bit of cutting and a couple of cable clamps. Nothing like a fresh cup of perked coffee and a hotdog or kubi out on the ice.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:09 PM

2 seater clam. 2 seasons and it's held up extremely well. Could be taller but overall very happy with it. Like all tents A 2man is really only Comfy for 1.

Forget the price but I know I never thought of getting one until I saw the price at wholesale sports. Very reasonable.

I'm gonna fix it up right this winter with compartments etc.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:56 PM

I bought the ice lodge by otter havent had a single problem. I wouldnt want to try pulling it by hand though. Ive found that the more room i have inside the more i bring to clutter it up. My old man just laughs at me because all his gear fits into a 5 gallon pail. and i need a trailer to haul mine.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:32 AM

I have one that smells like Lake Trout Slime!...

think its a Icecube or something. lol