Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-12-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post
I gotta suggest the Berkley Flicker minnows as a nice slim-profile crank.

They run extremely deep as well, the box says 17 ft but if you have enough line out and the right speed they can go 25-30 easy.

Lipless cranks like a rattlin rap are awesome too. I like to fish them drifting them with the wind, just keeping my line taught and ripping it off the bottom after it settles.

Lipless cranks are very effective for sniping suspended fish as well. After marking a larger fish while back trolling you can kick it into forwards and drop your crank down (rattlin raps sink really fast) and with 1 or 2 jigs you can usually entice a bite and the quick reversal of the motor will keep you in the zone.
While lipless cranks are fairly good at search and destroy fishing, jigging raps and shiver minnows are just so much better

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2018, 08:41 PM

I use Rapalas almost exclusively. I have tried a handful of other brands/models over the years and have never been happy with the results so stick with my old tried and true.

That doesn't mean there aren't other good brands/models available I just have great luck with Rapala and they offer a wide variety of crankbaits that suit most of my needs.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyechaser View Post
While lipless cranks are fairly good at search and destroy fishing, jigging raps and shiver minnows are just so much better

Yeah I agree jigging raps are even better because they sink like a depth charge, with that kind of weight you can tell you're getting it right in front of his face. You can usually watch it drop down on your sonar too and watch how the mark reacts. So cool

The reason I suggested lipless cranks like the rattlin' rap is because it was a thread on cranks haha.

I've never tried a shiver minnow but have heard good things.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:49 AM

My favorite and most gnarled up crank is my rattlin silver blue shad rap. Its produced both pike and walleye very consistently. After that would be my wally divers mainly chartreuse. I would love to experiment with a lot more crank baits but I would say 50% of the ones I own dont catch fish and these things arent cheap!
Old 09-14-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post

Nothing wrong with the original Rapala Floating Minnow run behind a 2 oz bottom bouncer around 1.2-1.5 mph on a 4’ ft leader either. Classics stay around for a reason.

SS
Fat Rap Chartreuse shallow runner was one of my faves and anything perch.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwhyTwhy View Post
My favorite and most gnarled up crank is my rattlin silver blue shad rap. Its produced both pike and walleye very consistently. After that would be my wally divers mainly chartreuse. I would love to experiment with a lot more crank baits but I would say 50% of the ones I own dont catch fish and these things arent cheap!
There probably isn't a crank bait that has caught more walleye than the shad rap. Rapalas prices are just too off putting now a days. $12 bucks for a crankbait just seems like daylight robbery.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:48 AM

That is true, I love shad raps but the pricing seems silly to us 'geezers' that remember paying less than $5 for a #9, but that was expensive then too.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:44 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the replies. Ive reread posts all and went shopping yesterday. Bought reef runners, several flicker minnow and shad. As WC says They seem like the best price/quality and durable too. Hard to spend on anything different so I bought more duplicates of joined shad raps and xraps also grabbed a 2 oz bottom bouncer to try some floating raps like SS pic. Also grabbed a bow mount motortuide but thats a whole other topic. Cheers guys