Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-08-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
There are more than enough people out there using BS on both sides of this, and you know it. That's why it's sometimes hard to unpack this kind of thing to get at the core of it.

If the Crown didn't go after him, it would be because there wasn't enough of a case. Law-abiding citizens demanding stuff doesn't enter into the equation because that's not part of their job.
Not enough of a case?? Nope, he was %100 guilty of breaking the law. What the courts didn't want was the publicity of putting a wounded survivor of a bear attack on trial, then in prison for defending his own life. The crowns idea of shoot shovel shut up. It also could be taken to Supreme Court and have the whole act tossed out or set unwanted precidents in court.
****es me off to no end that they confiscated his gun and destroyed it. Why didn't they take his knife of bow?
Old 11-08-2014, 01:19 PM

Default Is this a legal challenge?

I'm missing something, the issue I think was a legal challenge to the present gun laws. Is that right? It is not how much you want/don't want people to carry hand guns anywhere.

So if it is a legal challenge exactly where in the legislation is there any ambiguity about who can and who cannot carry handguns?

Is the issue actually "does the government have the right/power to limit carrying of hand guns? And for that matter does the government have the authority to prohibit any weapons at all?

If this is not welfare for lawyers, I'd like to hear on what basis they are going to sue the government.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I'm missing something, the issue I think was a legal challenge to the present gun laws. Is that right? It is not how much you want/don't want people to carry hand guns anywhere.

So if it is a legal challenge exactly where in the legislation is there any ambiguity about who can and who cannot carry handguns?

Is the issue actually "does the government have the right/power to limit carrying of hand guns? And for that matter does the government have the authority to prohibit any weapons at all?

If this is not welfare for lawyers, I'd like to hear on what basis they are going to sue the government.

Check page 3. It's about CFOS not issuing ACTs to the general public I believe.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 11-08-2014, 03:59 PM

Default I read page 3

The post you meant may no longer be on pg. 3 but the closest I found was one by Pudelpointer. If that is the one, you need some one to try to get a permit, be turned down and then go to court. Is that it?

Does the legislation say that they, the CFOs have unfettered discretion? Is there an avenue for appeal in the Act?
Old 11-08-2014, 06:26 PM

Until the OP discloses more puddle's post is the only legal basis offered so far.

will just have to wait and see.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 11-08-2014, 07:08 PM

I worry more about my fellow man in the bush than I do the Bears and Cougars. At least I can, from previous experience and education, guess what a bear or cougar is going to do. Humans....not so much.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:55 PM

Up to the top.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:25 PM

Only 48 contributor spots left until the first draw!!! Almost 80 spots went in the first week alone. The first gift draw recipient gets to choose between the two packages. Let's go, let's fill these gift draw spots up and support the cause. Join the Facebook group to learn more and please invite your friends to the group and tell them about the gift draws. Website launch within a week.

Contributor Gift Packages!!!

Wolverine Guns & Tackle, Red Deer, AB wants you to know they support your outdoor passions, your rights and your safety. As a way to back that up, they have offered to provide a gift to one of the $100 or greater contributors as soon as we reach 125 of them. Then if that wasn't already amazing enough,they will do it again once we reach 250 contributors how make a donation of $100 or greater. Technically you have two chances to win if you're in the first 125 contributors. You can only receive one gift though. The first recipient gets to choose between the two gift packages.

Gift Package #1- Hunter
Tikka T3 Stainless Steel 338wm
Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield Scope
Nikon Rifle Hunter 1000 Rangefinder
Zeiss Terra ED 10x42 Binoculars
Rifle Case & Tikka Sling

Gift Package #2 - Long Range Shooter
Rem 700 Sendero SFII 300wm
26" Heavy Fluted Barrel
HS Precision Stock
Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50 ERS
First Focal Plane Illuminated BRT-Mil Reticle
20moa Base & Warne Rings.
Uncle Mikes soft tactical case.

HOW TO MAKE A CONTRIBUTION:

OPTION #1
METHOD - Personal cheque, bank draft or money order.
PAYABLE TO: Miller Thomson LLP
DIRECT TO: Gerry Chipeur - Wilderness Protection Initiative
MISC: On a separate piece of paper please note your name, phone number, email and mailing address.
MAIL TO:
Wilderness Protection Initiative
PO Box 33038
Red Deer, AB
T4P0N9

OPTION #2
METHOD: EMT PAYMENT
DIRECT TO: wildernessprotectioncanada@gmail.com
PASSWORD: carry or carry1
MISC: Please include your name, phone number and mailing address.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:15 PM

I am not in yet. I need to see the legal brief. If there is any sort of reasonable argument, I will donate. When I say reasonable argument, I mean anything that could possibly be successful. That would be worth a $100 from me. It should be the same from the rest of you guys. That is one tank of gas. This is an important issue. Lets support it, if there is anything to it.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:30 AM

Any idea how many atc's were issued in 2013-2014?
Google doesn't seem to be my friend.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:57 AM

As I have explained, the brief will come. It was provided in a form that cannot be released publicly as advised by Gerry Chipeur of Miller Thomson LLP.

As for interim credibility. A movement has begun that is uniting people from all across Canada. Sure it is fledgling but it is happening. Numerous credible people and organizations like my local Safari Club International have taken notice and have invited me to speak at their board meeting, which I did. Wolverine Guns & Tackle Red Deer believed in the upstart enough to support it via name use and some great gifts packages. We will continue to partner and collaborate.

The full retainer has been raised via contributors from 8 provinces within 10 days.

Currently, arrangements are being made to complete the following this week:

- Pay the retainer and set up the Legal Trust Account.
- Request Brief that can be released to potential contributors and or possibly in general.
- Finish establishing the Not-for-profit and a board of directors that will learn, research, guide, steer and offer accountability for the organization and its 5 primary objectives which will be released on the website this week.
- Launch the website @ www.wildernessprotection.ca

Over my 47 years on this mortal coil. I have risked and wasted a ton of money on lottery tickets, beer, movies, and all kinds of things that I thought I needed. $100 to me is worth a risk. At the commencement of every movement that attempted something important there were those who were visionaries and due to the importance of that vision and the possibilities they personally risked. I have risked and continue to, as have the approximately 100 donors thus far. The gift draws were a way of marketing and adding credibility no doubt but they are also a way to say thank-you for getting us off the ground. Some of you were part of that here and your choice to do so makes the next step even possible.

Let's face it, some want everything for nothing; guarantees or security before their perception of risk taking will occur. They also want to tell everyone what they think they should do so as to bolster their own stance. I understand them and I too have to be cautious as I have a family and bills to pay BUT I am also a visionary and a pioneer, as are others, and we won't be relegated to the side lines or corralled by fear of risk or failure.

Everyone is a big kid here. I respect your 'individual' right to choose how you wish to proceed. My personal number is 403-304-5400 if you wish to put a voice to the initiative and or hear my thoughts or answers in a more personal way.

Thank-you.

Last edited by Steverdb; 11-10-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:44 AM

Now 9 Provinces: Representation from Quebec just jumped on board!!!
Old 11-17-2014, 08:09 AM

10 Provinces representing. 19 contribution spots left before the first rifle package gift giveaway.

Outdoors enthusiasts are at heart conservationists and lovers of the wilderness and its wildlife. Their desire is simply to enjoy the wilderness and the creatures that reside within it but at the same time make it back home. Every year Canadians are attacked by dangerous animals, some live and are scarred for life while others die a horrific death without ever having had the ability to properly defend their lives. At times their family members and friends have watched in horror yet were helpless to protect or save them. Some of these attacks occur on privately owned property. ‘Wilderness Protection’ is the known term to describe protecting oneself from these potentially deadly encounters. It is the phrase used by the RCMP and within the training and consultant industry in regards to this issue.
Wilderness Protection includes dangerous animal encounter prevention and avoidance strategies. They are both our number one goal but even if you manage to do everything right, a dangerous encounter can still occur. Predators don’t require a reason to attack beyond the fact that they are predators.

Every human life should be offered the best means possible to defend itself if attacked and most especially if this attack occurs where there is no police presence to protect life or emergency services to save life.
Our mandate is to see the right to Open Carry a Handgun for Wilderness Protection on rural and Crown land granted to all Restricted Firearms License holders equally.

Please consider these three variables:

1. Licensed firearms owners are already carrying and using more powerful firearms in these same areas without causing undue harm to wildlife or human alike.

2. Other Canadian citizens are being granted ATC for Wilderness Protection rights for the protection of ‘their’ lives with the same license that all handgun owners currently possess.

3. There are no police available to protect us or emergency medical services to save us in the wilderness which greatly increases our risk of death.

MISSION & OBJECTIVES:

Mission:

To ASSURE that all outdoor enthusiasts across Canada are offered equal ‘opportunity, access and the best tools’ to protect their own and other human life during the occurrence of a dangerous animal encounter.

Objectives:

To ADVOCATE for the right for all Restricted Possession & Acquisition License holders to carry a legally registered holstered handgun on rural and Crown land where a dangerous animal encounter is possible. There is a need and a basic right to protect human life in wilderness situations.

To EDUCATE about prevention and avoidance strategies that pertain to dangerous animal encounters, and the best way to survive an attack via all means possible including a handgun.

To LOBBY politicians and public officials encouraging them to care about and defend our goals as Canadian citizens. Our intrinsic rights in this regard are granted and clarified in the Canadian Charter of Rights & Freedoms sections 7, 12 & 15.

To TAKE ACTION in whatever legal manner works effectively towards policy or legislative change in order to reclaim our right to carry a legal registered handgun for wilderness protection of human life.

Update as of the third week since launch of this initiative. In this short period of time we have,

1. collaborated together and communicated our desire for and to seek change.

2. consulted and developed a plan with a major Constitutional Law lawyer Gerry Chipeur.

3. worked on a name, mission and objectives for a legal not-for-profit organization.

4. raised almost $14,000 and paid to retain the lawyer who has begun to put a two part plan together to guide us and move us towards a position where we can affect change.

5. commenced the development of a website worth far more than our current resources could provide DUE to the generosity of believers and those we have connections with. That website will be launched soon at www.wildernessprotection.ca.

6. attracted the interest of some organizations and individuals, some who have offered a desire to be 'in on it' or to support i.e. Wolverine Guns & Tackle Red Deer.

In a nutshell, within a relatively short period of time we will be legally established and positioned to commence an official and extra-Facebook movement that will endeavour to connect and partner with others nationally who desire what we are seeking to accomplish.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverdb View Post
10 Provinces representing. 19 contribution spots left before the first rifle package gift giveaway.

Outdoors enthusiasts are at heart conservationists and lovers of the wilderness and its wildlife. Their desire is simply to enjoy the wilderness and the creatures that reside within it but at the same time make it back home. Every year Canadians are attacked by dangerous animals, some live and are scarred for life while others die a horrific death without ever having had the ability to properly defend their lives. At times their family members and friends have watched in horror yet were helpless to protect or save them. Some of these attacks occur on privately owned property. ‘Wilderness Protection’ is the known term to describe protecting oneself from these potentially deadly encounters. It is the phrase used by the RCMP and within the training and consultant industry in regards to this issue.
Wilderness Protection includes dangerous animal encounter prevention and avoidance strategies. They are both our number one goal but even if you manage to do everything right, a dangerous encounter can still occur. Predators don’t require a reason to attack beyond the fact that they are predators.

Every human life should be offered the best means possible to defend itself if attacked and most especially if this attack occurs where there is no police presence to protect life or emergency services to save life.
Our mandate is to see the right to Open Carry a Handgun for Wilderness Protection on rural and Crown land granted to all Restricted Firearms License holders equally.

Please consider these three variables:

1. Licensed firearms owners are already carrying and using more powerful firearms in these same areas without causing undue harm to wildlife or human alike.

2. Other Canadian citizens are being granted ATC for Wilderness Protection rights for the protection of ‘their’ lives with the same license that all handgun owners currently possess.

3. There are no police available to protect us or emergency medical services to save us in the wilderness which greatly increases our risk of death.

MISSION & OBJECTIVES:

Mission:

To ASSURE that all outdoor enthusiasts across Canada are offered equal ‘opportunity, access and the best tools’ to protect their own and other human life during the occurrence of a dangerous animal encounter.

Objectives:

To ADVOCATE for the right for all Restricted Possession & Acquisition License holders to carry a legally registered holstered handgun on rural and Crown land where a dangerous animal encounter is possible. There is a need and a basic right to protect human life in wilderness situations.

To EDUCATE about prevention and avoidance strategies that pertain to dangerous animal encounters, and the best way to survive an attack via all means possible including a handgun.

To LOBBY politicians and public officials encouraging them to care about and defend our goals as Canadian citizens. Our intrinsic rights in this regard are granted and clarified in the Canadian Charter of Rights & Freedoms sections 7, 12 & 15.

To TAKE ACTION in whatever legal manner works effectively towards policy or legislative change in order to reclaim our right to carry a legal registered handgun for wilderness protection of human life.

Update as of the third week since launch of this initiative. In this short period of time we have,

1. collaborated together and communicated our desire for and to seek change.

2. consulted and developed a plan with a major Constitutional Law lawyer Gerry Chipeur.

3. worked on a name, mission and objectives for a legal not-for-profit organization.

4. raised almost $14,000 and paid to retain the lawyer who has begun to put a two part plan together to guide us and move us towards a position where we can affect change.

5. commenced the development of a website worth far more than our current resources could provide DUE to the generosity of believers and those we have connections with. That website will be launched soon at www.wildernessprotection.ca.

6. attracted the interest of some organizations and individuals, some who have offered a desire to be 'in on it' or to support i.e. Wolverine Guns & Tackle Red Deer.

In a nutshell, within a relatively short period of time we will be legally established and positioned to commence an official and extra-Facebook movement that will endeavour to connect and partner with others nationally who desire what we are seeking to accomplish.
^^^^^This is very important. If you spend any kind of time in the outdoors,( as in the bush or in the mountains), please get behind this !!
Old 11-17-2014, 11:30 PM

Default This sounds like a change from what was said at the start

At the beginning it was going to be a challenge to the CFOs not issuing permits to law abiding Canadians working in an environment where they may be attacked by a bear. That's what I thought it was any way.

Now it seems like you are asking for new legislation that allows people to carry restricted weapons. Is that right?
Old 11-24-2014, 08:01 PM

All Canadians deserve equal access to the ATC for Wilderness Protection permit and that is what we are going after. In fact, we have already started.

The first phase of the website is online.

http://www.wildernessprotection.ca/
Old 06-22-2015, 11:40 PM

To the top
Old 06-23-2015, 05:01 AM

Default Wilderness Carry

There are always those that will WC anyway but common sense has to prevail at some point in time and the need for WC will not go away. Best of luck.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:24 PM

so is this initiative dead now almost 20 months with no updates
Old 02-18-2017, 09:23 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Yahoooo

Awesome!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-18-2017, 05:26 PM

Got all excited and was about to donate. Then I looked at the dates.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bore 09 View Post
so is this initiative dead now almost 20 months with no updates
Looks like the website isn't alive, so I'd guess it is either stalled or dropped completely.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:00 PM

So where did all the money go?
Old 02-18-2017, 09:50 PM

I donated to this initiative and was less than impressed with the lack of communication with anybody who donated. I pm'd steverdb on cgn as did many other people with no answer even though he was constantly active. There was a big push for funds then nothing...

Here is a post from the CGN thread:

This is the latest I read on facebook from Steverdb

[The initiative is] nothing but a shell at moment. Donations were used as intended and extra legal fees paid by me and eaten by the lawyer. No new donations have been received or sought to cover shortfalls. You win some you lose some. Not much else going on since the change of gov as has been explained previously. We promoted the cause, raised awareness gave some nice packages away, tried our best and all of the people we were working with directly at that time got voted out. Not much more to say. We are currently in limbo.

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...ess-Protection
Old 02-18-2017, 10:31 PM

This is huge deal for Canadians i will be giving my support.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500+BC View Post
This is huge deal for Canadians i will be giving my support.
Dude, read the last page. Look at the dates.....

Save your $ for something worthwhile.