Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2024, 10:11 AM

Question BC Road Trip stop idea suggestions?

Early this summer my wife and I are going to do a road trip to Vancouver from Calgary. We have a friend coming in from oversees and is flying into YVR Vancouver Airport.

The idea is that we pick her up in Vancouver and then tour around for a while. Originally we were going to head to the Island and visit some friends out that way, but with my work situation it may be best that we stay on the mainland. The idea is that we scoot out to YVR over 2 days from Calgary, and then take our time driving back to Calgary, perhaps stopping at Whistler, Vernon, Nakusp, and then back to Calgary.

We will have at least 7 days to travel back to Calgary from YVR. We will have camping gear, and have our black lab dog with us, so dog friendly stops would be best.

This is my rough thought for an itinerary.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/pCYprUtbsJf7Bh3S7

Along the way, any suggestions on places to check out? Will have a 4x4 truck and looking to camp along the way for the most part.

I’ve driven the Coquihalla highway years ago from Calgary to the Island, but it was a mad dash to the island. Other than that haven’t spent much time at all in the BC interior. Normally I fly out to the Island or Vancouver for work, so looking for some neat opportunities out of this trip.

Campground suggestions, crown land suggestions, swimming holes, all that sort of stuff would be appreciated!
Old 03-21-2024, 10:23 AM

what i found when i pulled my fifth wheel trailer out to central B.C. if you never had reservations you were out of luck finding a camping spot in popular areas.
After that trip I neve went back to B.C. as i do not like planning months in advance where i am going
Others on the forum may have their hidden gems without reservations but not for me
Old 03-21-2024, 10:23 AM

I see you will be going through the Nakusp area. If you are interested in some history, down in New Denver there is the Nikkei Internment Memorial Center. For camping, I would suggest a copy of the Backroads Map Book of the Kootenay Rockies. Look for forest service rec sites as opposed to provincial parks. Some rec sites are still free, those that charge are still cheaper than the provincial parks.

Last edited by Parker Hale; 03-21-2024 at 10:25 AM. Reason: added informtion
Old 03-21-2024, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
what i found when i pulled my fifth wheel trailer out to central B.C. if you never had reservations you were out of luck finding a camping spot in popular areas.
After that trip I neve went back to B.C. as i do not like planning months in advance where i am going
Others on the forum may have their hidden gems without reservations but not for me
Yeah, that's one of my concerns as well. We'll be hoping to tent it along the way, but dog friendly hotel / motel are a more expensive option too.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Hale View Post
For camping, I would suggest a copy of the Backroads Map Book of the Kootenay Rockies.
Great idea! I have those books for all over Alberta and Eastern BC. Will make an online order for the rest of BC.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Yeah, that's one of my concerns as well. We'll be hoping to tent it along the way, but dog friendly hotel / motel are a more expensive option too.
As you are tenting you will have an easier time finding a spot, and getting into smaller rec sites.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:21 AM

I would definetly take the more scenic route down to Kelowna, then Vernon and then hiway 6 thru Nakasp and Galena Bay. Right after the Nakasp, there is a beautiful waterfall on your right. Don’t miss those! There is also a beautiful resort/hotel/ cabins at the Halcyon hot springs. You can easily spend two days there. The restaurant at this place has an amazing chef, at least he was there 2 years ago. The food is truly gourmet! And the lake crossing on a ferry at the Galena Bay is absolutely breathtaking!
PS. Right after you enter hiway 6 from Vernon, the road goes thru some very pretty places and keep an eye on your left. There is a Gouda cheese store owned by a local Dutch family, they sell their own cheese and also an amazing honey! The actual store is pretty small and looks like a shed, so don’t miss it!
Old 03-21-2024, 12:19 PM

A great idea would be to stop a couple hours south of Revelstoke and pick up a ton of Pipestone for me.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-21-2024, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
I would definetly take the more scenic route down to Kelowna, then Vernon and then hiway 6 thru Nakasp and Galena Bay. Right after the Nakasp, there is a beautiful waterfall on your right. Don’t miss those! There is also a beautiful resort/hotel/ cabins at the Halcyon hot springs. You can easily spend two days there. The restaurant at this place has an amazing chef, at least he was there 2 years ago. The food is truly gourmet! And the lake crossing on a ferry at the Galena Bay is absolutely breathtaking!
PS. Right after you enter hiway 6 from Vernon, the road goes thru some very pretty places and keep an eye on your left. There is a Gouda cheese store owned by a local Dutch family, they sell their own cheese and also an amazing honey! The actual store is pretty small and looks like a shed, so don’t miss it!
Just described one of my routes
Old 03-21-2024, 12:53 PM

If you have never been through the Fraser Canyon then I would follow the old highway 1 from Hope to Spences Bridge and onto Merritt instead of the first section of the Coquihalla. Much more scenic and some great camping sites. Check on the fire situation first. Check out Blue Lake Resort. Used to be one of our favorites when we lived out that way.
Old 03-21-2024, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Campground suggestions, crown land suggestions, swimming holes, all that sort of stuff would be appreciated!
Stop in Lake Louise and fuel up the rest of your tank, and save a few bucks from the taxman in BC.

Skip Halcyon, go to Halfway Hot Springs just south of Halcyon.

Skip the Hut in Nakusp, it looks good - but the food has seen better days.

Do stop at Burton City Cider, in Burton. Even if just for a bite to eat, and to pick up some cold ones for the evening back in camp.

Fergie's Café in Squamish is also a good stop.

Have fun, don't forget your fishing rod!
Old 03-21-2024, 01:58 PM

If you end up taking the Vernon-Nakusp-Revelstoke section of the trip, very close to the needles ferry there is an amazing free campground with clear warm water called Steven’s creek rec site. Highly recommend going there for a day or two. Then make sure you stop at halfway River hot springs as well. Super cool free natural hot spring on the bank of an icy cold clear mountain river. There’s a campground there as well that’s cheap, but would need to pre book. The hot springs are only a few hundred meters from the campground. If you’re up for a great hike that’s a bit challenging, but not crazy, the hike up to Conrad Kain Hut is also amazing, but it’s in the radium area. Also lussier hot springs is in that area which is another free beautiful, natural hot spring on the bank of an icy cold mountain river. I’ve got some pins of some other great free campsites in that area as well. Even though white swan is beautiful, it’s not my style. And gets booked up early.
Old 03-21-2024, 02:00 PM

Looking at your map I'd turn off onto the number 3 at Hope and head over to Osoyoos, and then just follow the OK valley up to Vernon instead of the Coq. route. The other suggestion if you've not got your heart set on the #6 through Lumby (very nice road), would be to take the #3 from Hope over to Castlegar and then head up to Nelson through Kaslo to the shelter bay ferry. The #31a from New Denver to Kaslo is a very nice road and a little abandoned townsite Sandon is well worth a stop. Fun fact is all the old trolley buses that ended up there (many from Calgary). Nakusp has a great little town run campsite right in town ($25 I think) and you can easily walk to all the resturants in town, and the pub allows your lab onto the patio. The hot springs are nice and empty by Banff standards, or you can hike into St. Leons if you prefer an undeveloped hot spring with a little hike.
Old 03-21-2024, 02:02 PM

Default Bc camping...

Here's a link I use all the time for camping, hiking & fishing.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/s...g/sites-trails

Elkrub
Old 03-21-2024, 02:51 PM

For myself, I'd leave Vcr thru Squamish, Pemberton, Lilooet, on hwy 99, to Hwy 97, that's the scernic route out of Vcr.
Then jump north to 70mile, go east on 24 to Little Fort, can make a choice here---- go south to Louis Crk, or north to Tete Jaune Cache, out thru Jasper and down Icefields to Banff or cutoff at Hwy 11 to Rocky Mtn House
You can also go east at Louis Crk to Adams Lk, then south to Hwy 1 and back via whatever south route you want.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:10 PM

Summit Lake just south of Nakusp on HWY 6 has a nice campsite, especially if you can snag one right on the water. But like others have said,we gave up on BC front country campgrounds years ago because we were never ones to book months in advance, and overflow lot camping got tired real fast.

Nakusp Hot Springs has a decent but small campground with some sites backing onto an awesome creek, with hungry little trout - but that was a decade ago so things may have changed. We were there last during peak cherry season, and there were a few nice trees up there. I remember putting our kids on my shoulders and we got quite a nice feed of cherries.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
For myself, I'd leave Vcr thru Squamish, Pemberton, Lilooet, on hwy 99, to Hwy 97, that's the scernic route out of Vcr.
Then jump north to 70mile, go east on 24 to Little Fort, can make a choice here---- go south to Louis Crk, or north to Tete Jaune Cache, out thru Jasper and down Icefields to Banff or cutoff at Hwy 11 to Rocky Mtn House
You can also go east at Louis Crk to Adams Lk, then south to Hwy 1 and back via whatever south route you want.
I'll second that route. Especially if your going to visit Whistler just keep going north to Pemberton and on to Lillooet. The Duffy lake road is spectacular especially from the summit down into Lillooet and the Icefields Parkway from Jasper to Banff is fantastic scenery.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:24 PM

there are 5 million miles of logging road in bc . why pay for camping just pick a road and go tell you find a place .
Old 03-21-2024, 09:34 PM

Kaslo has a nice little municipal campground right beside the lake. About a 5 minute walk up to the hotel, which is a great place for dinner and a few drinks at the end of the day
Old 03-21-2024, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
Summit Lake just south of Nakusp on HWY 6 has a nice campsite, especially if you can snag one right on the water. But like others have said,we gave up on BC front country campgrounds years ago because we were never ones to book months in advance, and overflow lot camping got tired real fast.

Nakusp Hot Springs has a decent but small campground with some sites backing onto an awesome creek, with hungry little trout - but that was a decade ago so things may have changed. We were there last during peak cherry season, and there were a few nice trees up there. I remember putting our kids on my shoulders and we got quite a nice feed of cherries.
They have hungry- no, not just hungry but super hungry frigging mosquitos that will eat you alive even during the daylight! If you are on a sun in the open- then you are more or less safe. But in a shade you become a fair game! :sHa_sa
Old 03-21-2024, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
If you end up taking the Vernon-Nakusp-Revelstoke section of the trip, very close to the needles ferry there is an amazing free campground with clear warm water called Steven’s creek rec site. Highly recommend going there for a day or two. Then make sure you stop at halfway River hot springs as well. Super cool free natural hot spring on the bank of an icy cold clear mountain river. There’s a campground there as well that’s cheap, but would need to pre book. The hot springs are only a few hundred meters from the campground. If you’re up for a great hike that’s a bit challenging, but not crazy, the hike up to Conrad Kain Hut is also amazing, but it’s in the radium area. Also lussier hot springs is in that area which is another free beautiful, natural hot spring on the bank of an icy cold mountain river. I’ve got some pins of some other great free campsites in that area as well. Even though white swan is beautiful, it’s not my style. And gets booked up early.
That’s an awesome info! I drove this area half a dozen times and never knew about those!
Old 03-21-2024, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
That’s an awesome info! I drove this area half a dozen times and never knew about those!
I hope this thread keeps traction for a while. We did over a decade of two weeks straight camping inBC with the goal of only paying for one night. There’s a book called camp free in BC that has turn by turn directions to 1300 free campsites in BC. We’ve spent most of our time in the kootenays. But there’s a boatload of places we plan to see still.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:26 AM

Some awesome suggestions guys. Thank you very much!

The plan is to blast as fast as we can to YVR and then be a lot more leisurely heading back East once we've picked our guest up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
If you’re up for a great hike that’s a bit challenging, but not crazy, the hike up to Conrad Kain Hut is also amazing, but it’s in the radium area. Also lussier hot springs is in that area which is another free beautiful, natural hot spring on the bank of an icy cold mountain river. I’ve got some pins of some other great free campsites in that area as well. Even though white swan is beautiful, it’s not my style. And gets booked up early.
I have spent a fair amount of time in the Kootenay's. Ram Creek, Lussier, White swan, Wasa, Kimberly, etc. Lots of summers in that valley, just haven't been West of this area. Haven't done the Conrad Kain hut though. On the to do list one of these days! Also looking to backpack into the Bugaboo's sometime too, just probably not this trip. Once prior to the big flood we 4x4'd once right to the edge of the Top of the World PP. That was a fun little adventure on a logging road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Looking at your map I'd turn off onto the number 3 at Hope and head over to Osoyoos, and then just follow the OK valley up to Vernon instead of the Coq. route. The other suggestion if you've not got your heart set on the #6 through Lumby (very nice road), would be to take the #3 from Hope over to Castlegar and then head up to Nelson through Kaslo to the shelter bay ferry. The #31a from New Denver to Kaslo is a very nice road and a little abandoned townsite Sandon is well worth a stop. Fun fact is all the old trolley buses that ended up there (many from Calgary). Nakusp has a great little town run campsite right in town ($25 I think) and you can easily walk to all the resturants in town, and the pub allows your lab onto the patio. The hot springs are nice and empty by Banff standards, or you can hike into St. Leons if you prefer an undeveloped hot spring with a little hike.
Yeah, we'll have a stop in Lumby for sure. Good friends live there so will be at least a night or two in Lumby. I've done a lot of work in Kelowna / Vernon and know that area pretty well. A few years back we did a trip to Northern California and towed the trailer down and crossed through Osoyoos. Super hot when we went that trip. Haven't been to Nakusp or those parts so hoping to hit that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I'm working in Jasper right now, and do the parkway a fair bit. Fun driving it all times of year. I haven't crossed west into BC from Jasper, but not sure if we want to head that far North from Vancouver. Might be an idea though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealevel View Post
there are 5 million miles of logging road in bc . why pay for camping just pick a road and go tell you find a place .
That's sort of our idea possibly as well. Find some spots off the main highways and see what we see. I'll be ordering that backcountry mapbook for sure. I also have a radio that I bought a few months ago programmed with a lot of the BC logging road frequencies. Will be bringing that for sure.
Old 03-22-2024, 10:13 AM

I would be one to go through Vernon, Lumby, hwy 6, and then once you hit Nakusp, head south and hit the loop through Cranbrook, Kimberly.

In Lavington, heading to Lumby there is a gas station on the left of the highway, the second one in Lavinghton. You have to hit up their soft ice cream machine. Then in Lumby, there is the bakery, just past the flashing red light, the only light in Lumby. Just on the right side, about 3 doors past the corner. You can absolutely not drive through Lumby without hitting up that gem. If you are into fly fishing, there is a GREAT shop just before lavington, at the RV place, if he is still there. Sandy has been there fore ever.

Once you cross the first ferry, I think Needles, on Arrow lake, just as you come up off the ferry, about 200m there is a forest service road on your right. 20 min down to a fabulous camping spot right on Arrow lake. Taite Cr. If you hit the timing right the creek feeding the lake is awesome fishing. You are fishing in the lake, not the creek.

There are numerous gems all over BC, many natural "hot springs" that are small, and are hidden gems. You can find them, if you do searches ahead of time, and plan you routes.
Old 03-22-2024, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallz View Post
I would be one to go through Vernon, Lumby, hwy 6, and then once you hit Nakusp, head south and hit the loop through Cranbrook, Kimberly.

In Lavington, heading to Lumby there is a gas station on the left of the highway, the second one in Lavinghton. You have to hit up their soft ice cream machine. Then in Lumby, there is the bakery, just past the flashing red light, the only light in Lumby. Just on the right side, about 3 doors past the corner. You can absolutely not drive through Lumby without hitting up that gem. If you are into fly fishing, there is a GREAT shop just before lavington, at the RV place, if he is still there. Sandy has been there fore ever.

Once you cross the first ferry, I think Needles, on Arrow lake, just as you come up off the ferry, about 200m there is a forest service road on your right. 20 min down to a fabulous camping spot right on Arrow lake. Taite Cr. If you hit the timing right the creek feeding the lake is awesome fishing. You are fishing in the lake, not the creek.

There are numerous gems all over BC, many natural "hot springs" that are small, and are hidden gems. You can find them, if you do searches ahead of time, and plan you routes.
The shop is called "Kenkraft" and it's still there, and it's still a great shop. I suspect 95% of the people driving by it don't realize it's there......
Old 03-22-2024, 10:58 AM

If you are in the New Denver area, Idaho Peak is a relatively easy hike (from the top parking lot) with a great view of Slocan Lake. Road access is through Sandon. Last time we were there I had to stop to let the Mountain Goats cross the road.
View from the top:
https://www.google.com/maps/@49.9724...6656?entry=ttu

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 03-23-2024, 09:58 AM

You may want to try out the Sea to Sky Gondola in Squamish when drive through the area, you'll pass right beside it. You can hike up to the top, have a bite to eat, and then ride the gondola down. It's a nice trail, and around 6kms steady climbing to the top. Your dog is allowed on the tram with a ticket I believe, and the views of Howe sound and surrounding areas are pretty amazing.
Old 03-25-2024, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
If you are in the New Denver area, Idaho Peak is a relatively easy hike (from the top parking lot) with a great view of Slocan Lake. Road access is through Sandon. Last time we were there I had to stop to let the Mountain Goats cross the road.
View from the top:
https://www.google.com/maps/@49.9724...6656?entry=ttu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
You may want to try out the Sea to Sky Gondola in Squamish when drive through the area, you'll pass right beside it. You can hike up to the top, have a bite to eat, and then ride the gondola down. It's a nice trail, and around 6kms steady climbing to the top. Your dog is allowed on the tram with a ticket I believe, and the views of Howe sound and surrounding areas are pretty amazing.
Those are some great hike suggestions. We will try to check them out for sure. It'll be good to stretch the legs and somewhat tire the pup out.

Thx
Old 03-26-2024, 08:30 AM

The road to Idaho Peak has been out for over a year I believe.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man of steel View Post
The road to Idaho Peak has been out for over a year I believe.
This is indeed true. It washed out in 2020 and the FLNR has indicated it has no timeline to restore the road, despite the fact it was well used and brought in a lot of tourists....

Tags
camping, nakusp, vancouver, whistler